Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

I seem to have a bit of a mental block when it comes to the salary cap and have a hard time understanding the details. Although the lower cap directly restricts us, can we gain indirectly because there are going to be other teams that are affected worse than us, or am I just talking ********? (again).

EDIT: I manually censored the word ********, I guess it's just an English swear word! 😀

Edited by London Kev

8 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I seem to have a bit of a mental block when it comes to the salary cap and have a hard time understanding the details. Although the lower cap directly restricts us, can we gain indirectly because there are going to be other teams that are affected worse than us, or am I just talking ********? (again).

EDIT: I manually censored the word ********, I guess it's just an English swear word! 😀

Half of the teams in the league are projected to have 10 mil or less in cap for 2021. The lowest being the Saints at -100 million. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Smartest way of handling FA may be to after your top target or two as soon as FA begins. Then wait, let the dust settle as teams blow their wad, and go back out to hit the market once the players know they were not in the high demand group. I am thinking one ILB and maybe one WR, DB or maybe a QB.

• Thanks 2

If anything, a lower cap benefits us this year relative to most teams because we aren't tied to a hefty QB contract (yet) and are already well under the cap. It will prevent us from making a big splash, but we should be able to fill a number of needs with what we have available to us. 

The one decision it complicates is, of course, QB. But I'm sure the Heinecke Hive isn't losing any sleep over it. lol

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I forgot about this new thread so will post this here as well.  We'll get another bump in available funds from this...

No bump.  It was already factored in (at least an estimate).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Cap Space = (Team Salary Cap) - (Active Cap Spending) - (Dead Money)

Team Salary Cap = (Base Salary Cap) + (Carryover) +/- (Adjustments)
  • Like 1

I would let Scherff walk if the asking price is gets too high.   He is great to have around but replaceable.   I would rather use the cap space to ensure we definitely solve LB, WR, CB, and QB holes or perhaps try to extend Allen or Payne early first before spending big on Scherff

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

I would let Scherff walk if the asking price is gets too high.   He is great to have around but replaceable.   I would rather use the cap space to ensure we definitely solve LB, WR, CB, and QB holes or perhaps try to extend Allen or Payne early first before spending big on Scherff

I agree. I am under the thought process of you have to go about this one of two ways. All out or slow play. I think the all out has shown to never work here. This season was fun but let’s build like the Ravens, Patriots, and Steelers. Get the Comp picks for Scherff, Darby, and Kerrigan. Sign a few fillers who get cut that don’t cost comp picks. Trust me there will be a lot. These teams that are left built with there guys with the exception of Diggs and Brady. 

1 hour ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I agree. I am under the thought process of you have to go about this one of two ways. All out or slow play. I think the all out has shown to never work here. This season was fun but let’s build like the Ravens, Patriots, and Steelers. Get the Comp picks for Scherff, Darby, and Kerrigan. Sign a few fillers who get cut that don’t cost comp picks. Trust me there will be a lot. These teams that are left built with there guys with the exception of Diggs and Brady. 

And Fournette.  And Z Smith. And P Smith. And Mathieu. And Frank Clark. And C Beasley. And M Hyde.  And D Williams.  And Suh. And JPP.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sjinhan said:

I hear what you're saying and didn't like his half effort on a lot of pass blocking snaps down the stretch.  The problem is he just got ALL-PRO honors.  I must be missing something. 

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

You win in the trenches..I personally believe the o line played great and now some folks wanna let one if not the most important piece to that line walk?...in the words of the famous rapper dmx.."y'all gonna make me lose my mind up in here up in here"

People also want to trade three firsts a few seconds and Jon Allen for Watson... people wanting Scherff to walk isn’t a shock. :ols:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

Lead dog!!...people don't understand the game is won in the trenches..last players ya wanna.trade away are proven bodies in the trenches 

I’d be more about letting Scherff walk if we didn’t have so many holes to fill. Adding guard to our need list is an issue. And Scherff is an all-pro. 

He is injured more than you’d like and played pretty average against Tampa. But letting an all-pro guard go weakens your interior, a spot that we can’t afford to have weaker. 

As long as he doesn’t want well above market, I’d keep him. He wants to be here, too. 

I think re-signing him is a slam dunk easy decision.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I’d be more about letting Scherff walk if we didn’t have so many holes to fill. Adding guard to our need list is an issue. And Scherff is an all-pro. 

He is injured more than you’d like and played pretty average against Tampa. But letting an all-pro guard go weakens your interior, a spot that we can’t afford to have weaker. 

As long as he doesn’t want well above market, I’d keep him. He wants to be here, too. 

I think re-signing him is a slam dunk easy decision.

Normally I would be about letting Scherff go. Too much money and too injury prone for a G. The thing is he is the only real good Olineman we have. Moses is okay and Roullier are ok and their play is significantly better when Scherff is next to them. He improves the line play on a whole.

Why is our Oline weak? Because the last few years the team decided to through FA $ and early draft picks any place but the Oline. When they have taken stabs at mid to late round picks they are mainly misses, backups and bums. 

This shows you can't just take a 3rd rounder and throw him into the starting lineup like some suggest. If it were that easy everyteam would have great OL's and never use top selections on them.

This could lead into another debate...did throwing all the draft picks into the RG3 trade hurt the OL being built...or the LB's, or the any other group? It had to at least to some degree. It was a lot of picks that could have been used to fill up the team talent whether starters or depth..would have allowed the team to really draft BPA instead of reaching for less talented players to try filling voids

Hopefully the bring in some really good FA talent to fill spots. Would be nice to them bring in a legit OL but not sure how many will be available

Edited by DWinzit

9 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Normally I would be about letting Scherff go. Too much money and too injury prone for a G. The thing is he is the only real good Olineman we have. Moses is okay and Roullier are ok and their play is significantly better when Scherff is next to them. He improves the line play on a whole.

Why is our Oline weak? Because the last few years the team decided to through FA $ and early draft picks any place but the Oline. When they have taken stabs at mid to late round picks they are mainly misses, backups and bums. 

This shows you can't just take a 3rd rounder and throw him into the starting lineup like some suggest. If it were that easy everyteam would have great OL's and never use top selections on them.

This could lead into another debate...did throwing all the draft picks into the RG3 trade hurt the OL being built...or the LB's, or the any other group? It had to at least to some degree. It was a lot of picks that could have been used to fill up the team talent whether starters or depth..would have allowed the team to really draft BPA instead of reaching for less talented players to try filling voids

Hopefully the bring in some really good FA talent to fill spots. Would be nice to them bring in a legit OL but not sure how many will be available

Yes. The RG3 trade hurt us. Badly. And we are just now recovering. 

100% in agreement.

• Like 3