Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Could be a situation where Fitzmagic had some input and our Oline was probably anticipating him to return as well.

Plus he played pretty well last year.  He found the position he is comfortable with.  We got a steal.

I dunno about a steal. He’s good, but even with just the base salary we’re paying him like a top 12 guard. I’m fine with it because of the shortness of the remainder of the deal but that’s a lot of money tied up into an OL that doesn’t have an answer at LT.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, carex said:

this could be the end of Scherff here.  Cause maybe Flowers can't play RG, but Wes Schweitzer can and plugging Flowers in at LG frees him up

But overall, I can't say I'm enamored of us trading up to getting the best of what's left at the QB position in the draft

I have no personal feelings about Fields/Lance (assuming Jones goes #3), but I’m not sure I agree with the best of what’s left attitude - those 3 are ranked in various order by various scouts/pundits/FOs.

5 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

If charles can actually play this year our O-line doesn't look too bad all things considering... Charles Flowers Roulier Scherff(or Schweitzer) and Moses.

Scherff could now be trade bate for a very depleted panthers o-line and a 23rd ranks lions o-line

Thanks for the CAR/DET info, and great point.  I posted elsewhere about our oline (and the context involved in grading them), but the bottom line for me is that 1) our line gave up the 2nd most sacks last year (tied with several others, but still terrible) and 2) Gibson had the the 2nd highest broken tackle per carry rank, but the 20th ranked ypc.  Considering his speed, elusiveness and strong legs to push piles, that discrepancy (2nd vs 20th) is a pretty big knock on our line IMO.

Point being, while I’m intrigued by Charles, I like Flowers and was pleasantly surprised by Sweitzer/Lucas... we could use upgrades.  Hopefully Flowers represents one while we draft a starting tackle.  Worried about the drop off from Scherff if we trade him though.

If we don’t move Scherff to trade up for a qb, I wonder if he could be traded to bump us from 51 into the 1st or early 2nd?

• Like 1

Welcome back. Flowers coming back in the Spring is always good.

He played well for us. Apparently he had an up and down year for Miami last year, and they have a young 2nd rounder they want to plug in at LG, so he became expendable. Hopefully he continues to play well for us.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dswerdlw said:

Miami doesn't have a 5th or 6th round pick. I'm hoping that we didn't swap our 4th round pick (124) for theirs (156). Rather, I'd like to see them swap their second pick in the 7th round (258) for one of our 7th round picks (244/246).

Interesting to see us dealing with Miami, maybe this leads to other deals between the two teams? Miami is said to be looking to move out of the 6 spot, would they take 19, our 2nd, 3rd and a 2nd next year to move? Hello Kyle Pitts??? 

Somebody slap me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Interesting to see us dealing with Miami, maybe this leads to other deals between the two teams? Miami is said to be looking to move out of the 6 spot, would they take 19, our 2nd, 3rd and a 2nd next year to move? Hello Kyle Pitts??? 

Somebody slap me.

I'd be willing to offer them #19, our 2nd this year, and a Ereck Flowers in exchange for #6.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The draft has enough WR talent for all 32 teams to draft 2 guys who might have good long careers. Probably not the year to shop a high priced WR.

I know you’re just emphasizing to make a point, but I think this narrative is getting pretty overblown about this class. It would be a pretty historically good class if even 10 of the WRs go on to maybe have good, long careers. That’s less than 1/6 the number you floated lol (and I know you said “maybe”, but still). It’s a deep class for sure but not nearly as crazy good as people are making it out to be, there aren’t anywhere close to 64 prospects good enough to maybe have good long careers is all I’m saying. And there are very few alpha-type WRs (that doesn’t just mean prototypical tall outside guys to me, either), though it’s a great class for complementary weapons and slot guys. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

This is 5 dimensional chess. Yall are still in the third dimension. Flowers is replacing Scherff, but not because Scherff is leaving. Scherff to LT baby. :headbang:

I wouldn't mind that, but the scouts say his arms are so short he has to hire an assistant to wipe his ass so he can't play NFL tackle.  Not sure I buy that, but I'm no scout.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I’d much rather have someone on a rookie deal than be paying Julio 12 in two years.

You’d have to think the team is ready to ascend to SB contention and that Julio is still arguably the best WR in the game (I do) to make the move.   I’m all about securing known elite talents as often as you can if the move aligns with status of the team. I believe the teams SB window has officially been cracked open, so I’m open to any moves that may rip the “window” wide open. The team arguably would have top 5-10 talent on offense and a defense on the cusp of being elite. 

Sign me up. Obviously all in fun at this point as it’s very unlikely to happen. 

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

You’d have to think the team is ready to ascend to SB contention and that Julio is still arguably the best WR in the game (I do) to make the move.   I’m all about securing known elite talents as often as you can if the move aligns with status of the team. I believe the teams SB window has officially been cracked open, so I’m open to any moves that may rip the “window” wide open. The team arguably would have top 5-10 talent on offense and a defense on the cusp of being elite. 

Sign me up. Obviously all in fun at this point as it’s very unlikely to happen. 

I guess that's where we differ. What we saw inury-wise last year from Julio was, to me, a warning sign. He's always had lingering issues throughout his career, but last year was the first time he's missed significant time. At his age I expect that's more the norm than the exception.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sign Julio, draft Harris and Jordan and this offense is looking pretty formidable and we almost have a championship defense already.

Except you still don't have a linebacker or SS

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I guess that's where we differ. What we saw inury-wise last year from Julio was, to me, a warning sign. He's always had lingering issues throughout his career, but last year was the first time he's missed significant time. At his age I expect that's more the norm than the exception.

Except you still don't have a linebacker or SS

You mean FS. Half our defensive roster is a SS lol

• Haha 1

Immediate thoughts on the Flowers deal:

- I don't think this means anything for what happens with Scherff.  I think Ron loves him and he's going to stick around.

- I think Wes Schweitzer played well last year, but at the same time, I think he might be somewhat physically limited.  Flowers is a really good athlete, and he really found a good spot at guard.  At the very least, this helps with great depth.  You now have Flowers, Schweitzer, Martin, and possibly Charles (if they switch his position) at guard.  

- I do wonder if this move means they really think Charles can play tackle. 

- This is not so good for Wes Martin, I don't think.

Lucas was better than you thought at LT.  An OL of Lucas, Flowers, Rouiller, Scherff and Moses isn't bad.  Might not be the best in the NFL, but you can certainly do worse.  

I think they will draft a tackle at some point, I personally don't think they see it as an immediate need, so I'm guessing unless there's a glaring BPA who's a tackle early, I think it's going to be one of the 2 3rds.  

I still think they're going LB in the first round unless something wacky happens.  And I wouldn't be at all shocked if they moved up to get the guy they want.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sign Julio, draft Harris and Jordan and this offense is looking pretty formidable and we almost have a championship defense already.

I'd give special massages to the man that could make this happen. And unlike Watsons accusers, no one would hear a peep from me. 

• Haha 5