Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

11 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

It was mostly crap because they categorically refused to run the ball and relied 90% on quick throws from Ben. I've never seen a team abandon the run before the game ever started. 

Yeah, at least Norv waited until it was working.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

With that said, from my 3 minutes of watching him looks like a lumbering type athlete that lacks the fast twitch movement you’d like to see on the basketball court transition to route running. 

Exactly.......definitely not trying to rain on the Reyes parade, but people keep saying "TG, Antonio Gates, & Jimmy Graham" were former basketball players. Yeah, they were, but they also were QUICK & explosive type players on the court. I dont see that from Reyes on the court. For more reasons than one I want him to make the team and contribute. But like someone else said, he's got a mountain to climb. 

10 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Exactly.......definitely not trying to rain on the Reyes parade, but people keep saying "TG, Antonio Gates, & Jimmy Graham" were former basketball players. Yeah, they were, but they also were QUICK & explosive type players on the court. I dont see that from Reyes on the court. For more reasons than one I want him to make the team and contribute. But like someone else said, he's got a mountain to climb. 

Did you see this YT video?  Sammis Reyes, TE, NFL International Pathway Program | Workout Video | Former Chilean Basketball Star - YouTube

If you did then I'll move on.  :)

• Like 1

Maybe what he lacks in speed or twitch, he makes up for with this size, strength, and savvy.

In other words, I can envision him, as being a hard guy to tackle, especially for just one defender.

Almost like a lumbering Gronkowski.

See, there's an analogy noone has used yet ;)

Go, Baby Gronk !!!

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 3

I don’t think you realize how good an athlete he is. Maybe you don’t watch a lot of basketball, but basketball players are in another world when you’re comparing them to football players. 

I don’t know if he will be a good football player but, if he can be as good as a Sprinkle, that’s a good signing.

Edited by Riggodrill44
Forgot quote

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Looks like our TE coach is a genius.

Another Sean McVay, who actually started out as a TE Coach

Hoener is already a greybeard and has been coaching for 21 years—somehow I think he missed his chance to be a young ascending offensive mind lol. Which is actually better sometimes, because those guys get promoted and plucked. You want some young geniuses, but you need the stable vets who aren’t going anywhere, too. He can just focus on developing players in his position group, you need those guys who are lifers, to have a good roster.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

I did see that video and with all do respect, it means ****........Takes more than just strength to be a TE/WR. He can run, he can move, but he's not a fluid athlete. From the little Ive seen, he has no twitch in his hips. How coordinated is he? Gonzalez, Gates, Graham.....those guys were different animals on the court before they turned to football. Reyes has a great base to start from for the coaches. 

From here on out, I dont need to see him lifting a 1000lbs......Need to work on his agility, catching, route running, etc....He didnt even play football in high school. Where's his heart at? How is he gonna react the first time a LB lays the wood on him? Like I said, I really like him, but he has a mountain to climb.

• Like 2

I'm going to set the over/under for most receptions in a single season for Reyes at any point during his career at 3.5.   That might be a little too generous.

The idea of getting the next TG or AG is exciting, but expecting anything out of him is like blowing your whole paycheck at the bar after work and relying on your scratch tickets to feed your family over the weekend. 

We still need 2 TEs between draft / FA.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I don’t think you realize how good an athlete he is. Maybe you don’t watch a lot of basketball, but basketball players are in another world when you’re comparing them to football players. 

I don’t know if he will be a good football player but, if he can be as good as a Sprinkle, that’s a good signing.

I watch a ton of basketball......if you do as well, you know that all basketball big men arent built the same. You think just because he's a "basketball player" that if (pre injury) Kevin Durant stepped on a field as a TE he would have an impact? Durant has never been an "explosive" player athletically. Robert Lopez (Wizards Center) wouldnt make an impact, because he's not an explosive player athletically. 

Then you have athletically NBA players who run up and down the floor like deer. Guys with anticipation jumping for the rebound before the ball bounces off the rim (Russell Westbrook). Then you have players who dont rely on their athletic ability as much as their other abilities/skills (Paul Pierce).

Long story short, all NBA players arent built the same. You cant just say, the guy played basketball and so its going to translate. Some of the guys who made it were freaks athletically. Look at old basketball videos of Gonzalez, Julius Peppers, Antonio Gates....they were ballers....then watch basketball video or Reyes.....You can be a gym warrior all you want, but that doesnt automatically make you a natural athlete. 

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Like 2

The following are not mutually exclusive and reflect my feelings on Reyes.

1. Reyes has some good strength/speed/explosive numbers that make him an exciting ball of clay to work with.

2. I am really pleased with signing him, especially since what I’ve read about him indicates he has a strong work ethic and is serious about working to develop into a football player.

3. I don’t expect him to contribute much of anything next year, possibly ever. He is long shot, but I’m rooting for him.

4. I find the knee jerk reactions immediately comparing him to elite basketball/football players cringey and annoying.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Long story short, all NBA players arent built the same. You cant just say, the guy played basketball and so its going to translate. Some of the guys who made it were freaks athletically. Look at old basketball videos of Gonzalez, Julius Peppers, Antonio Gates....they were ballers....then watch basketball video or Reyes.....You can be a gym warrior all you want, but that doesnt automatically make you a natural athlete. 

You could also argue that basketball is much more about feel and skills and hand eye. Tons of tremendous athletes haven’t been good basketball players. Tons of decent athletes ARE great basketball players. Some guys are just innately better at it. 

At TE, he doesn’t have to be a world beater to catch a ball in the flat, turn upfield and be a bully. Or to run a drag route. 

Im not saying we should expect Antonio Gates. That’s probably not realistic. It takes time and ability and work to recognize coverages, develop a feel for the soft spot in a zone, etc. 

But I also don’t think we should expect nothing. If he can catch, should see the field in some 12 personnel packages and he is going to get a few looks. 

I found Reyes interesting until we signed him. Now I’d rather see what we have in him than speculate a ton and talk him to death. 

Did Njoku resign with Cleveland? I thought he was a FA this year. 

Typically, he'd be up by 5:30 a.m., meet with Hagen around 7, link up with his fellow IPPP participants for a group meeting at 8, stretch, lift and run until 11:30, pause for lunch, duck into another meeting where Hagen showed him offensive and special teams tape, head to the field for two-and-a-half hours of positional drills, eat dinner and then consume more tape. Hagen would sometimes get texts at 11 p.m. from Reyes, which would contain more questions.

"To me, it was like an NFL training camp," Hagen said, describing everyone there as "so dialed in."

As for what Reyes must do to stick with the Burgundy and Gold, Hagen believes overcoming the never-ending contact that all tight ends encounter is one of Reyes' primary obstacles. In basketball, as Hagen noted, a slight bump goes down as a foul. That, of course, won't be the case along the offensive line or when attempting to separate from a linebacker.

"He's got to get used to the physicality," Hagen told NBC Sports Washington. "That's why, when we got to camp, I said, 'If we don't put a set of shoulder pads and a helmet on this guy, he'll have no chance when he gets to a camp.' He's got to feel how cumbersome that is and get to that comfort level."

Reyes — who reminds Hagen a bit of longtime tight end Ben Watson, whom Hagen overlapped with during his stint as a Cleveland Browns assistant — also must continue devoting himself to the mental aspect of the job. Reyes acknowledged that, too, in his enthralling introductory presser with the local media on Wednesday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Hoener is already a greybeard and has been coaching for 21 years—somehow I think he missed his chance to be a young ascending offensive mind lol. Which is actually better sometimes, because those guys get promoted and plucked. You want some young geniuses, but you need the stable vets who aren’t going anywhere, too. He can just focus on developing players in his position group, you need those guys who are lifers, to have a good roster.

Speaking of which, I had the thought the other day that I’m glad Del Rio has had his chances - I like the odds of him sticking it out with us for the foreseeable future (which is pretty darn exciting, IMO).

• Like 2

Man, if our team did this after our head coach went through the season and coached through cancer, I would lose a lot of respect for them. Get vaccinated, go to work, and be safe. What the hell is the issue here? Since this kind of seems like the "off-season" thread I didn't know where else to put this. 

5 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Man, if our team did this after our head coach went through the season and coached through cancer, I would lose a lot of respect for them. Get vaccinated, go to work, and be safe. What the hell is the issue here? Since this kind of seems like the "off-season" thread I didn't know where else to put this. 

Bunch of Friggin Pansie Ass ****es. Damn bagboy at the Walmart goes to work, why can't they?? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2