Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean the Steelers run game was complete crap last year. There is a reason he was let go.

It was mostly crap because they categorically refused to run the ball and relied 90% on quick throws from Ben. I've never seen a team abandon the run before the game ever started. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Uplifting!  Really rooting for this young man.  Even if he wasn't part of the WFT but am so happy that he is.  I think he become a big story, succeeds and becomes a big part of our O.  When I saw the NFL football in his hands it looked the size of a nerf football.  :)

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lovi said:

Someone needs to do a Welcome to DC Sammis Reyes thread. lol  Dude sounded super impressive in his interview.  Easy guy to root for.

Good question : what exactly are the criteria, for a player deserving his own welcome thread.

Seems like, it used to be just for draft picks.

Then exceptions started to be made.

The obvious camp crush favorite, probably qualifies for that.

I imagine every time JP Finlay reports that Reyes catches a 3 yard pass in TC, that fans are going to have to wear a bib, to catch all the drool. So we'll have to learn to "catch" too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Florgon79 said:

It was mostly crap because they categorically refused to run the ball and relied 90% on quick throws from Ben. I've never seen a team abandon the run before the game ever started. 

How about a team that abandons the run when they’re up 28-3 in the 3rd quarter of the Super Bowl?

Have you ever seen that?

#kyle

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wonder how much Rivera and Reyes both being able to speak the same native language, factored into the decision.

Maybe a little, at least, for the lack of a language barrier.

He does speak good English, actually. But just speculating.

I was thinking the same thing. Coach Rivera is certainly a success story for the Hispanic community in America. When he became a head coach, he was only the third Hispanic to achieve that status. He's currently one of only two (Brian Flores being the other). Representation in the NFL is certainly far lower percentage wise when compared to the U.S. population, and I think it matters to young Hispanic players to have Rivera to look up to.

But, he does live close by, so that may be the biggest factor.

• Like 3

Sheehan on both his radio show and his podcast has been shooting down Reyes because he watched some of his basketball highlights and doesn't care for it -- and doesn't think his athleticism will translate that well to football.  I guess we will find out.  My beef with his saying fans are over the top just like they were when they touted Thaddeus Moss to be a pro bowler when he was picked up.  Speaking for myself I didn't like Moss before that draft.  He's not a good athlete IMO.  You got me if Reyes makes it but his athleticism is clearly insane.    Obviously he needs to learn to play the game though.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And Nate's a pretty good judge of receivers.

Is this something Burleson is known for, or are you just saying this because he played WR in the league? 

And to be fair, even if it is, no one has seen Reyes play football so it wouldn’t really apply here. 

I’m into his upside as much as anybody and love that we’re the type of organization now that signs this type of lotto ticket player—but until we see if his measurables translate to functional on-field athleticism, any comparisons to the few basketball players who made it as TEs in the league are wishcasting at best (obviously). He looked kinda stiff to me, and sometimes the raw athleticism just doesn’t lend itself to smooth football movements on the field, in pads. We’ll see, and I’m excited to follow him in training camp for sure.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Is this something Burleson is known for, or are you just saying this because he played WR in the league? 

And to be fair, even if it is, no one has seen Reyes play football so it wouldn’t really apply here. 

I’m into his upside as much as anybody and love that we’re the type of organization now that signs this type of lotto ticket player—but until we see if his measurables translate to functional on-field athleticism, any comparisons to the few basketball players who made it as TEs in the league are wishcasting at best (obviously). He looked kinda stiff to me, and sometimes the raw athleticism just doesn’t lend itself to smooth football movements on the field, in pads. We’ll see, and I’m excited to follow him in training camp for sure.

Who knows, but the basketball player to TE transformation does have some obvious historical positive data. Year 1, run the seam route.

With that said, from my 3 minutes of watching him looks like a lumbering type athlete that lacks the fast twitch movement you’d like to see on the basketball court transition to route running. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I watch Nate a lot, and the GMFB crew, in general.

I trust that group more than the average talking heads, like ESPN, etc.

They're more objective, open-minded, humble, with no agenda, and basically no BS.

I understand that his specs mean very little, having not been on the football field yet.

But if Nate is excited about him, that gives me a reason for optimism.

Also, on a similar note, weren't you the one who was predicting Logan Thomas would do well at TE, even before he took a snap at TE ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Also, on a similar note, weren't you the one who was predicting Logan Thomas would do well at TE, even before he took a snap at TE ?

I was, but Thomas was a couple years into his transition to TE at that point, and I’d seen his athleticism enough to be confident it translated. That’s the info we’re waiting for with Reyes, but I appreciate your info on Burleson and co. as I don’t follow much of that stuff 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan on both his radio show and his podcast has been shooting down Reyes because he watched some of his basketball highlights and doesn't care for it -- and doesn't think his athleticism will translate that well to football.  I guess we will find out.  My beef with his saying fans are over the top just like they were when they touted Thaddeus Moss to be a pro bowler when he was picked up.  Speaking for myself I didn't like Moss before that draft.  He's not a good athlete IMO.  You got me if Reyes makes it but his athleticism is clearly insane.    Obviously he needs to learn to play the game though.

I think that's fair to say.  He wasn't NBA quality, but he's prototypical modern day NFL TE size.  Jordan Reed attributed his ability to get open to a step over basketball move.  Just wondering if he'll be able to stash on the PS without getting plucked??