Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

WFT fans should be super excited about this signing.  Raw yes but potential seems to be off the charts with this fella.  Wow!  One more TE signing and we are set via the draft and we're set.  

• Like 5

The thing with basketball players turning to football, he should have good feet (hopefully convert to at least average route running) and he should have bouncy to Miss smaller defenders. Only question is if he can take the physical part as that’s something your really can’t train for. 

We shall see... I like the signing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Didn’t even know he played for Tulane. Yup. That makes sense.

Is that correct that he has never played football? Athletic freak, obviously rooting for him, but as Tyson said "lets see what happens the first time he gets punched in the mouth" or something to that effect.

I thought the "interview" of Sammis and Nicole was very insightful.  They both seem to have it together and are mature. I think he will put in the work to try to succeed at the NFL level.

Welcome aboard and good luck to you, sir.

:229:The Rook

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

The thing with basketball players turning to football, he should have good feet (hopefully convert to at least average route running) and he should have bouncy to Miss smaller defenders. Only question is if he can take the physical part as that’s something your really can’t train for. 

We shall see... I like the signing. 

Physical part? You must have missed the video where he says he likes football because of the physical nature of it unlike basketball where you keep your hands back. He wants to use his hands. He is shown pushing a person back in the same video using his hands and his strength. You must have also missed his video lifting all them weights too. 

He reminded me of The Hulk (Lou Ferrigno) when I saw him pushing that SUV up the hill. 

13 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

His hands seem a little off... wondering what he looks like catching a ball and getting blasted by a LBer. 

He just decided to play football....lol

• Haha 1

As always, I shall temper my expectations for a workout warrior. We've had them before and not gotten much from them. But for 1 spot on the roster out of 90? Good deal. TE is wide open behind Logan, I hope he makes his mark.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

Physical part? You must have missed the video where he says he likes football because of the physical nature of it unlike basketball where you keep your hands back. He wants to use his hands. He is shown pushing a person back in the same video using his hands and his strength. You must have also missed his video lifting all them weights too. 

He reminded me of The Hulk (Lou Ferrigno) when I saw him pushing that SUV up the hill. 

When I say “physical part”, I mean catching a pass across the middle knowing a hard hit is coming his way but still catching the ball. His muscles won’t matter between those lines it will be his ability to take hits and get back up from them. And then have the grit to line up and do it all over again. Again basketball is a great transition sport for TEs and I’m one who definitely feel he can work out. 

• Like 1

I'd rather he be more like Charles Barkley.  Box out like a beast and dominate contested catches.  Draft Najee Harris and Tremble, and run the Riggo drill all day long.  The other team has a plan until you punch them in the mouth, over and over, "it's comin' at you, Randy"-style, all game long (except for a couple of bombs to McLaurin).

• Thanks 1

Love the idea of populating the back end of the roster with young guys that have tons of athletic ability and (hopefully) just need time to develop.  Moss didn’t fit that bill.  Brantley maybe more so, but unlike a rookie, you have to pay him more and if he performs, you need to pay him a lot more or lose him.  

It’s an interesting angle that with Reyes, you’re starting from scratch (essentially), but you don’t have the bad habits you might otherwise have, which in some ways could help the transition.  He’s got a looong way to go though... I hope he’s got the patience to see it through.

Edit:  I don’t see this changing our TE search at all...

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 3

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/washingtons-newest-tight-end-lacks-name-value-possesses-wild-potential

The Washington Football Team has a new tight end, and while that new tight end's name was likely unknown to just about everyone who follows the franchise as recently as a few hours ago, that new tight end also possesses tools that give him a solid shot at becoming a productive and popular player.

On Tuesday, the organization announced that it had signed Sammis Reyes, a 6-foot-7 prospect who played basketball at Tulane for two seasons before pivoting to pursue a career in football. The 25-year-old grew up in Chile before moving to the United States as a teenager.

Already intrigued, right? Well, there's more to learn, and like, about Reyes.

The converted hooper was originally slated to try and break into the league via its International Player Pathway Program, but on March 31, he impressed Washington enough during the University of Florida's Pro Day that the club opted to snare him before he continued on in the IPPP. 

Here are some clips from Reyes' workout at Florida, where he looks relatively comfortable running routes and catching passes, very comfortable changing direction in some agility drills and supremely comfortable bench pressing a bunch of weight a bunch of times:

And here's a tweet that further illustrates the sheer explosion and physical gifts Reyes will use in his attempt to make Washington's roster:

After the success Washington, and specifically tight ends coach Pete Hoener, had in developing Logan Thomas in 2020, bringing in someone with Reyes' raw skills makes total sense.

Reyes clearly has plenty of hurdles in front of him that he'll have to clear in order to actually suit up on a Sunday, but Hoener — who's tutored Greg Olsen, Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker in addition to Thomas — is precisely the kind of guy who could get the most out of Reyes. And if it doesn't work out, Washington won't be burned much, if at all.

For whatever reason, tight end is a spot where many, many guys can thrive even if they didn't thrive elsewhere or they didn't play football at all before lining up there.

In Reyes, Washington now has the next great project at the position, and tracking whether they can somehow reap great results from that project will be an underrated fun part of training camp and the preseason.

• Like 4

What's not to like about this signing?

If he turns out to be a good NFL TE then we look like geniuses, if he busts then we gave a guy a chance and it didn't work out, and maybe he gets some tape to show other teams.

One thing I do know, he's got ten times better squat form than Trent Williams had.

43 minutes ago, skinsfan212689 said:

When I say “physical part”, I mean catching a pass across the middle knowing a hard hit is coming his way but still catching the ball. His muscles won’t matter between those lines it will be his ability to take hits and get back up from them. And then have the grit to line up and do it all over again. Again basketball is a great transition sport for TEs and I’m one who definitely feel he can work out. 

You also said it is something you really can't train for. All football players learn that at an early age when they start playing football. He will just need to learn it quicker if not already. I think he should be okay in the physical department as he said he likes contact part of football. He is already mentally prepared. I am kind of person who likes to wait and see what a player can and can't do before I pass any judgement. I understand your concern though. We shall need to wait and see if this was a good pickup or not. 

33 minutes ago, redskinss said:

This guy is growing like a weed.

His r.a.s. Said he was 6053 then there was an article that said he was 6'6 now he's 6'7.

By tomorrow he's gonna be 7 feet tall.

The articles are all over the place on him.

It’s like an internet feeding frenzy with claims of his amazing exploits.

In addition to the height projections one article claimed he benched 250 lbs over 30 times another said he benched 300 pounds 25 times while still another said he CURLS 250 pound DUMBBELLS in sets of 30! /p

This kid has become my “this years” favorite rookie.

Can’t wait for the pre-draft mini-camp.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

I like the idea and he looks to have a lot of potential. But most guys have played their entire lives. WR's usually don't "click" in the NFL until their 3rd year. How long will it take him and he has to LEARN the position? He is already 25. Are we looking at a guy that really isn't even serviceable until he is 28-29 years old?

• Like 1

I envision him in a goal line offense.  With his natural strength and vertical, he could be a true dual threat to either block credibly or release for a fade.  With his strength, I could almost wish he was a bit shorter because I'd like to try him at OT.

Edited by gbear

12 minutes ago, repo_4 said:

I like the idea and he looks to have a lot of potential. But most guys have played their entire lives. WR's usually don't "click" in the NFL until their 3rd year. How long will it take him and he has to LEARN the position? He is already 25. Are we looking at a guy that really isn't even serviceable until he is 28-29 years old?

If he becomes TE3, he’s going to have to learn teams. So he’ll be contributing sooner than later.