Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath


Cooked Crack
 Share

Recommended Posts

On the MLK as a hero both sides appreciate, I would point out he was not viewed as a hero while alive.  His approval numbers were around 30% (makes Trump's numbers look good).  I think the only heroes likely to be viewed favorably by both side would have to be dead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

January 6 rioter who said she looked for Pelosi 'to shoot her in the friggin' brain' pleads guilty to misdemeanor for illegally protesting

 

A Pennsylvania woman who stormed the US Capitol on January 6 and said she had been looking for Nancy Pelosi "to shoot her in the friggin' brain" pleaded guilty Tuesday to a low-level misdemeanor for unlawfully protesting on restricted grounds.

 

Doylestown gym owner Dawn Bancroft entered the guilty plea in DC District Court and was immediately dressed down by a federal judge, who called the violent rhetoric caught in a video selfie "disturbing."


"That's really troubling. It's horrible. It's outrageous," District Judge Emmet Sullivan said, before turning his attention to federal prosecutors and asking, "Does it not rise to the level of a threat?"

 

The Justice Department lawyers said they hadn't charged Bancroft with threatening Pelosi, a California Democrat who's the speaker of the House, because Bancroft had uttered the comment while she was exiting the Capitol, potentially making it harder to prove that the threat to Pelosi was serious.

 

Instead, prosecutors offered what has become the go-to plea bargain for Capitol rioters who aren't accused of violence. She pleaded guilty to one count of illegally protesting in the Capitol, a misdemeanor that could lead to six months in jail, though defendants rarely get the maximum.


"We're going to talk about that more at sentencing," Sullivan said. "I understand you were leaving the Capitol. I understand the government's logic in not prosecuting you ... but I don't want to, in any way, minimize the very troubling nature of a pretty outrageous statement."

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

House Jan. 6 committee issues subpoenas for pro-Trump rally organizers

 

The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol issued subpoenas to 11 people associated with or involved in the planning of pro-Trump rallies that preceded the violent insurrection.

 

The subpoenas announced on Wednesday evening by the committee come a week after it issued subpoenas targeting two top Trump White House officials, the chief of staff to the acting defense secretary, and longtime Trump adviser Stephen K. Bannon.

 

Several of the newly subpoenaed are rally organizers — including the founders and staff of the pro-Trump Women for America First group — who could face questions about reports that the group had concerns about the “Stop the Steal” rally turning into an illegal and chaotic march on the Capitol. They may also be able to shed light on the degree to which the former president and his senior White House aides knew about their fears of chaos on Jan 6.

 

The subpoenas ask that Amy Kremer, a stalwart supporter of Trump and the founder of Women for America First — the group that sponsored the Stop the Steal rally on the Ellipse — provide documents and appear for a deposition before the committee.

 

The best-known person on the list of new subpoenas may be Katrina Pierson, who served as Trump campaign spokesman in 2016, worked with a pro-Trump political organization during the Trump’s term in office, and reportedly served as an informal liaison between the White House and the rally on the Ellipse. The letter sent to her Wednesday cites reports “that you participated in a meeting with President Trump in the Oval Office on Jan. 4., 2021,” about the rallies planned in coming days. The subpoena seeks documents and testimony related to her discussions about the rallies.

 

The committee is also seeking information from Kremer’s daughter Kylie, who assisted her mother in organizing the rally, along with Maggie Mulvaney, the niece of former acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney. Mulvaney was listed as a “VIP Lead” on the permit for the event and served as the director of finance for the Trump campaign.

 

Caroline Wren, who was listed as a “VIP Advisor” on the permit, is also among those whom the committee is seeking information from. Wren served as a consultant for the joint fundraising effort between the Trump campaign and the Republican National Committee, and more recently founded a Trump-aligned donor network called the Save America Alliance.

 

Investigators have also issued a subpoena to Cynthia “Cindy” Chafian, an organizer with Women for America First and the Eighty Percent Coalition. The letter to Chafian states that she not only assisted in organizing the Jan. 6 rally but also “organized and sponsored” other events “to coincide with the certification of the 2020 Electoral College results.” Chafian spoke at a rally the day before the Capitol riot, in which she told the crowd that the Proud Boys, anti-government militias and other far-right groups were keeping them safe — not the police.

 

Texts and interviews with members of the Women for America First group, which had obtained a permit for a Jan 6 protest on the Ellipse, indicate the group was disturbed to learn roughly a week before Jan. 6 that Stop the Steal organizer Ali Alexander was promoting the Jan. 6 protest as a march on the Capitol. ProPublica first reported on these communications earlier this year.

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, gbear said:

On the MLK as a hero both sides appreciate, I would point out he was not viewed as a hero while alive.  His approval numbers were around 30% (makes Trump's numbers look good).  I think the only heroes likely to be viewed favorably by both side would have to be dead.

 

Yep, and and he had bigger plans than just civil rights as his next focus was going to be bringing poor folks together to organize an economic resistance.  I still think that played a bigger part in his assignation than will ever be acknowledged.  Civil rights were on the march, but start messing with the "winners" of a capitalistic system and goodnight. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friends from Ohio get 45 days in jail for Capitol riot

 

Federal prosecutors assert that everybody who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 should be evaluated individually when deciding whether a prison sentence is warranted. On Wednesday, a judge accepted the Justice Department’s assessment that two friends from Ohio fall into a category of rioters who deserve to be incarcerated.

 

U.S. District Judge James Boasberg sentenced Derek Jancart and Erik Rau to 45 days in jail. Prosecutors had recommended four months of imprisonment for both men. They must report to jail by Nov. 29.

 

The jail sentences for Jancart and Rau could become benchmarks for how the courts resolve many other Capitol insurrection prosecutions, a caseload that tops 600 defendants and grows by the week.

 

Like most of the insurrectionists who have pleaded guilty so far, Jancart and Rau aren’t accused of engaging in any violence or destruction at the Capitol or of conspiring to stop Congress from certifying President Joe Biden’s electoral victory. Defense attorneys compared their actions to those of other Capitol riot defendants who avoided prison sentences after pleading guilty to non-violent misdemeanors.

 

But prosecutors cited several factors in arguing that prison, not probation, was the appropriate sentence for both men — and will be in many other cases.

 

They said Jancart, an Air Force veteran, prepared for violence on Jan. 6 by bringing a gas mask and two-way radios to Washington. Rau, a steel mill worker, brought a medical kit and Kevlar-lined gloves.

 

They said Jancart and Rau spent 40 minutes inside the Capitol, reaching House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s conference room. Jancart celebrated the violence on social media and didn’t show any remorse when the FBI arrested him, according to prosecutors.

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

I think the sentence is too lenient.

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, China said:

January 6 rioter who said she looked for Pelosi 'to shoot her in the friggin' brain' pleads guilty to misdemeanor for illegally protesting

 

A Pennsylvania woman who stormed the US Capitol on January 6 and said she had been looking for Nancy Pelosi "to shoot her in the friggin' brain" pleaded guilty Tuesday to a low-level misdemeanor for unlawfully protesting on restricted grounds.

 

Doylestown gym owner Dawn Bancroft entered the guilty plea in DC District Court and was immediately dressed down by a federal judge, who called the violent rhetoric caught in a video selfie "disturbing."


"That's really troubling. It's horrible. It's outrageous," District Judge Emmet Sullivan said, before turning his attention to federal prosecutors and asking, "Does it not rise to the level of a threat?"

 

The Justice Department lawyers said they hadn't charged Bancroft with threatening Pelosi, a California Democrat who's the speaker of the House, because Bancroft had uttered the comment while she was exiting the Capitol, potentially making it harder to prove that the threat to Pelosi was serious.

 

Instead, prosecutors offered what has become the go-to plea bargain for Capitol rioters who aren't accused of violence. She pleaded guilty to one count of illegally protesting in the Capitol, a misdemeanor that could lead to six months in jail, though defendants rarely get the maximum.


"We're going to talk about that more at sentencing," Sullivan said. "I understand you were leaving the Capitol. I understand the government's logic in not prosecuting you ... but I don't want to, in any way, minimize the very troubling nature of a pretty outrageous statement."

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

 

 

A judge doesn't have to accept a plea deal. If he thought it was so horrible and outrageous, why didn't he just refuse to allow the plea?

  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Far-right militia group membership surged after Capitol attack, hack shows

 

Hacked materials from the website of the rightwing militia group the Oath Keepers show that hundreds of people either joined or renewed their membership after many of the group’s members participated in the attack on the Capitol on 6 January.

 

They included people who joined under their military ranks, including combat veterans, retired servicepersons, at least one serving national guardsman, several members of the clergy and others involved in security contracting and the firearms industry.

 

Other materials in the hack show signups to petitions under government or military emails, and private email addresses being provided in response to appeals for assistance from military and service personnel.

 

But with many of those addresses apparently not functioning or invalid, the extent of prior involvement by government and military employees in the group was not immediately clear.

The post-Capitol attack membership surge is evident in payment records from the Oath Keepers website.

 

They show that 801 people either joined the organization or made donations after 4 January, when founder Stewart Rhodes posted an article on the website headlined “Oath Keepers Deploying to DC to Protect Events, Speakers, & Attendees on Jan 5-6: Time to Stand!”

 

But almost all of that number – 788 altogether – joined or donated after Oath Keepers members participated in the incursion into the Capitol building on 6 January, with the records showing that the surge built momentum in January before slowing in February, March and April, where the records end.

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone who swarmed the Capitol grounds, attacked the defenders, entered the building, and/or threatened Congresspeople and/or staffers should be charged with felonies and imprisoned. Period. These people attacked our government. 

 

If the situation was reversed, who thinks that the Republicans would be far more demanding of serious punishment?

  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I do not get these light sentences.  Make them all felons, make it impossible for them to vote or own a gun.  Can't get a job?  Well there's always welfare, the system they no doubt criticized when it was others who needed the help. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Thumb up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2021 at 11:17 AM, China said:

He brought a sawed-off rifle to the Capitol on Jan. 6. Then he plotted to bomb Amazon data centers.

 

For weeks this spring, 28-year-old Seth Aaron Pendley had plotted an attack on Amazon data centers in Virginia. He had already taken a sawed-off rifle to the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. Now, he hoped to cripple much of the Internet and take down government networks.

 

Last April, he finally arranged a meeting with a man promising to provide the C-4 explosive devices. When they met in Fort Worth, Tex., the man showed Pendley how to arm and detonate the powerful bombs.

 

But just as Pendley placed the devices into his Pontiac, federal agents swarmed in and arrested him. The bomb seller was actually an FBI plant who had helped unravel a plan Pendley believed could “kill off about 70 percent of the internet.”

 

On Wednesday, Pendley pleaded guilty to planning to bomb Amazon facilities in an attempt to undermine the U.S. government and to spark a rebellion against the “oligarchy” he believed to be running the country.

 

The case underscores the dramatic rise in domestic terrorism driven by right-wing extremists and raises concerns about those who participated in the Jan. 6 insurrection plotting new attacks. Domestic attacks peaked in 2020, mostly driven by white-supremacist, anti-Muslim and anti-government extremists. Those far-right attacks have killed 91 people since 2015, according to an analysis by The Washington Post.

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

Wichita Falls man who planned to “kill off 70% of internet” sentenced to federal prison

 

A Wichita Falls man who plotted to blow up an Amazon data center in Virginia is sentenced to federal prison today.

 

Seth Aaron Pendley pleaded guilty in June to a malicious attempt to destroy a building with an explosive device and was sentenced to 10 years by U.S. District Judge Reed O’Connor. He faced a maximum of 20 years.

 

Pendley was arrested in April while trying to buy C-4 explosive from an undercover FBI agent in Fort Worth.

 

Authorities searched his home in Wichita Falls and found an AR-15 receiver, mask, wigs, maps and other items.

 

Pendley admitted that he disclosed his plan to blow up an Amazon data center to a confidential source in January and he hoped it “Would kill off 70% of the internet” including service to the CIA and FBI.

 

Pendley also claimed to have been present at the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol and said though he did not enter the building, he came prepared with a sawed-off ar rifle.

 

Click on the link for the full article

  • Thumb up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I do not get these light sentences.


The way I rationalize them is, I imagine I'm the prosecutor. And I wonder, if I go to trial, what's my odds of getting a jury that doesn't have a single reality-denying "patriot" who will refuse to convict despite the accused literally posting a picture of himself committing the crime?  
 

Which in turn makes me wonder if we are "making America great again" by bringing back the days when the Klan can literally murder people for trying to register black people to vote, secure in their belief that "no jury in the county gonna convict me". 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So did he forget they wanted to hang him?

 

Mike Pence Says Media Focus on January 6 Is a Media Distraction Meant to ‘Demean’ Trump Supporters

 

Former Vice President Mike Pence said the focus on January 6th is a distraction intended to “demean” millions of Trump supporters.

 

Pence spoke with Sean Hannity Monday night, and the interview ended with Hannity asking about his continued relationship with Trump, months after they reportedly had a falling-out over the Capitol riots.

 

The mob of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol on January 6, the day Congress certified the election results, due to weeks of election lies from then-President Donald Trump. People could be heard chanting “Hang Mike Pence!” and Trump himself attacked Pence on Twitter literally moments after he was evacuated that day.

 

Pence told Hannity he and Trump “talked through all of it” days later, and that they ultimately “parted amicably.”

 

He said January 6 was “a tragic day” and commended the work of law enforcement to secure the Capitol.

 

Pence went on to say Republicans should be focused on the future and added the following:

 

Quote

I know the media wants to distract from the Biden administration’s failed agenda by focusing on one day in January. They want to use that one day to try and demean the character and intentions of 74 million Americans who believed we could be strong again and prosperous again and supported our administration in 2016 and 2020.

 

  • Thumb down 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Third Oath Keeper Flips

 

Mark Grods is the third member of the Oath Keepers to plead guilty to conspiracy charges and agree to cooperate with the investigation. You can read his statement of information, stating what he will plead guilty to and facts supporting those charges that he is admitting, HERE.


Grods admits that he was part of a conspiracy against the United States and that the “purpose of the conspiracy was to stop, delay, and hinder the Certification of the Electoral College vote.”


He admits to “attending or scheduling trainings to teach and learn paramilitary combat tactics in advance of the January 6 operation.”


He admits to “bringing and contributing paramilitary gear and supplies — INCLUDING FIREARMS, camouflaged combat uniforms, tactical vests with plates, helmets, eye protection, and radio equipment — for the January 6 operation.”


He admits to “FORCIBLY storming past exterior barricades, Capitol Police, and other law enforcement officers.”


He admits that he “BROUGHT FIREARMS to Washington, D.C., and eventually provided them to another individual to store in a Virginia hotel.”


Note about this last one. Other charging documents from the government allege that the Oath Keeper plot including having a heavily armed “QRF” (quick reaction force) that would bring heavy weapons into the Capitol once Trump deputized them by invoking the Insurrection Act and calling forth a citizen’s militia (that would be them). None of those in those who stayed in this hotel with the QRF have been arrested yet. They will be.

 

Click on the link for the full article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...