What do you think will happen?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen?

• Impeachment but not conviction
    • Impeachment and conviction ūüĎÄ
    • Impeachment fails
    • Impeachment is never brought up

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2021 at 05:00 PM

23 minutes ago, Destino said:

Trumps fascist movement will walk away from this emboldened.

This is as important as anything.  If you weren’t going to go all in, you should’ve folded a while ago.

• Like 1

We all know how the actual vote would go.

An R isn't going to openly convict another R. Simply not how our government works. Even 7 Senators going against the grain is a huge improvement.

The Democrats did a better job then the other side. They made the better case, made the better headlines and sound-bites.

All a reflection of the 2018 and 2020 elections.

This is just the 2nd month of the majority. I'm definitely giving credit to the Democratic party here after watching decades of far worse performances. 

Hopefully we'll see some improvement on the actual policy side as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I hope there is a bigger picture here for the Dems and I sort of see the end game here. They knew they couldn't get 17 Republicans to do what is right(only got 7), so you get Garland as AG and go further and maybe catch some Senators and Congressmen in the act. This isn't over. Trump will be in jail I do believe. But they should have at least called one witness, but what if that witness decided to lie and protect him? 

• Like 1

@visionary and what do you know

https://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/schumer-democrats-might-invoke-14th-amendment-to-bar-trump-if-senate-acquits/PCP67ZMZYZHV7FG5JFG3O42ZTE/

With Donald Trump facing a likely acquittal in his historic second impeachment trial, Democrats may still attempt to ban the former Republican president from seeking office again by invoking the 14th Amendment.

On Thursday, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer did not rule out bringing legislation to bar Trump from office if he isn’t convicted during this most recent impeachment attempt.

‚ÄúWe‚Äôre first going to finish the impeachment trial, and then Democrats will get together and discuss where we go next,‚ÄĚ Schumer said, as reported by¬†Fox News.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm ****ing confused.  McConnell says that Trump is responsbile but voted to acquit?  I read that, like, 5 times.  Am I reading that right?

Yup, because he and the other 43 Republicans are ****in cowards. 

Edited by DCranon21
  • Like 2

This ****er.  Mitch McConnell, who delayed the trial and vote on impeachment until after Trump was out of office, explains he voted to acquit because Trump was out of office. 

Mitch McConnell has secured his place in history as the most hypocritical weasel in the history of American politics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find it sad that we hold our football team to a higher standard than the elected officials we voted in to represent us. Pretty pathetic, actually...

I get that politics is a game (well, aspects of it), but not everything is 3D Chess. Sometimes, its a boxing match and the only way to win is to pummel the ever loving **** out of your opponnent. You can't win if you're afraid to throw the knockout blow. The dems don't do that...or can't do that. Either way, chalk it up as another failure for the dems who couldn't even be bothered to see the match to the end.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

This ****er.  Mitch McConnell, who delayed the trial and vote on impeachment until after Trump was out of office, explains he voted to acquit because Trump was out of office. 

Mitch McConnell has secured his place in history as the most hypocritical weasel in the history of American politics.

Who believes that, in the unlikely event that a future Democratic official is in the exact same impeachment predicament as Donald Trump found himself, that Mitch McConnell would abandon/forget this current argument and vote to convict.  Because that's who he is.  A pure political animal without scruples or a conscience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

We can come up with a million excuses for why things turned out the way they did, some true and some not.  But I see this one overall fact.  Democrats have the majority and were unable to use their powers to get justice and uphold what is right.  Democrats once again failed to use their power effectively.  They had a task and failed to complete it.

I bet if the tables were turned, the GOP would have figured out some underhanded way to get the outcome they want.  The GOP has the testicular fortitude to get what they want.  The Dems do not.  I’m sure this will motivate the hell out of the voters.  

So there is a universe where 17 Republicans convict Donald Trump today?  I don't see how any of the result can be blamed on the Democrats.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
53 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I know the result, but I want to see how many Republicans have courage and the ability to put country over politics or party

None. The ones who vote to convict have simply concluded that that's a better move for them. 

1 minute ago, Larry said:

None. The ones who vote to convict have simply concluded that that's a better move for them. 

That’s easy to say, but not necessarily true.

5 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

So there is a universe where 17 Republicans convict Donald Trump today?  I don't see how any of the result can be blamed on the Democrats.  

There's also a universe that Democrats couldn't persuade 17 Republicans to convict Donald Trump today.  Unfortunately yours exists in the abstract.

You're right though, it's not surprising.  Party first assholes.  And scared for their political lives, I'm assuming.  I bet the ones that voted to acquit were thinking about their political careers first, then their party and justice/the right thing to do a far and away distant third place.

• Like 2

i'm not moved by all the "dems failed" stuff

the bottom line is there was nothing and i mean nothing that would have changed that outcome meaningfully, period

so when you actually take that in acct, anger towards them as it being their fault is almost victim-blaming 

you can critique how efficient their case was for the current politcal environment and that of elections through the next few years (a part of the calculation) and long-term  historical record (a major drive) and even the choice made to go forward at all,  and under what terms etc

but just anger/frustration at "the incompetent dems" (which of course they often have been) like they messed up in a way that kept them from persuading enough of the jury to get that conviction is misplaced...there wasn't any way to make a case that would have pulled anything close to 17 senators over that line....i wanted to believe it's possible too, but knew better

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Extremely surprised they got 7 Republicans. I would have bet no more than 4. 

I wonder if Pence had been killed by the mob whether the vote would have been any different.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Corcaigh said:

I wonder if Pence had been killed by the mob whether the vote would have been any different.

What vote?  If Pence had been killed by the mob, Trump might still be in power.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 3