What do you think will happen?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen?

• Impeachment but not conviction
    • Impeachment and conviction 👀
    • Impeachment fails
    • Impeachment is never brought up

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2021 at 05:00 PM

New details about Trump-McCarthy shouting match show Trump refused to call off the rioters

In an expletive-laced phone call with House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy while the Capitol was under attack, then-President Donald Trump said the rioters cared more about the election results than McCarthy did.

"Well, Kevin, I guess these people are more upset about the election than you are," Trump said, according to lawmakers who were briefed on the call afterward by McCarthy.
McCarthy insisted that the rioters were Trump's supporters and begged Trump to call them off.

Trump's comment set off what Republican lawmakers familiar with the call described as a shouting match between the two men. A furious McCarthy told the then-President the rioters were breaking into his office through the windows, and asked Trump, "Who the f--k do you think you are talking to?" according to a Republican lawmaker familiar with the call.

The newly revealed details of the call, described to CNN by multiple Republicans briefed on it, provide critical insight into the President's state of mind as rioters were overrunning the Capitol. The existence of the call and some of its details were first reported by Punchbowl News and discussed publicly by McCarthy.

The Republican members of Congress said the exchange showed Trump had no intention of calling off the rioters even as lawmakers were pleading with him to intervene. Several said it amounted to a dereliction of his presidential duty.

"He is not a blameless observer, he was rooting for them," a Republican member of Congress said. "On January 13, Kevin McCarthy said on the floor of the House that the President bears responsibility and he does."

Click on the link for the full article

It’s not crazy to not call witnesses, but it’s a cowards move that lets a lot of these people off the hook.  And trying to justify this blatantly unforgivable act of cowardice by arguing that it’s to pass legislation is bull****.  Might as well say “we want to get back to work for the American people”. We all know a political excuse when we see it.  

Getting a conviction or not is besides the point right now.  The GOP are going to do what they are going to do.  The purpose right now is getting the information on public record.  These cowards need to be on that stand saying out loud to the American people what the saw & heard from Trump that day and then feel the shame of voting to acquit if they still choose to.

Another aspect to this incitement to violence can probably been seen in the rise of hate crime violence committed in the US during Trump's four years. In that category, 2019 represented a sixteen year high. 2020 represented a 20% increase from 2019.

Now, you can't lay hate crimes at Trump's feet directly. I can see why the House Manager's didn't bring it up, but I don't think anyone would be surprised by it. Trump incited violence, he turned a blind eye to violence, gave cover to hate groups, and gave hate groups permission to act.

As to witnesses, Trump's defense made it pretty clear that we should call up some witnesses from the White House. Pick any of the sixteen who resigned. I don't need to hear from Meadows, but I'd be curious to see McCarthy be a weasel. Likewise, I'm not sure if I want to give a Proud Boy national forum, but if we had any FBI infiltrators that would be okay. Subpoena Trump. 

11 hours ago, Destino said:

It’s not crazy to not call witnesses, but it’s a cowards move that lets a lot of these people off the hook.  And trying to justify this blatantly unforgivable act of cowardice by arguing that it’s to pass legislation is bull****.  Might as well say “we want to get back to work for the American people”. We all know a political excuse when we see it.  

Especially when the talking point until a week ago was “We can do more than one thing at a time” 

ok do it 

Just wrap it up. History already has all

the context it needs. I understand the need and desire for witnesses but it will only push this thing further out at no benefit, instead, detriment to Dems as a stimulus and relief checks are pushed into mid-late March. Voters will remember that in 2022 after being promised for months relief was on the way ASAP. They won’t remember anything a witness in a trial giving the same information that the House Managers already presented for 2-3 days. The case is ironclad as it is. 

Archived