What do you think will happen?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen?

• Impeachment but not conviction
    • Impeachment and conviction 👀
    • Impeachment fails
    • Impeachment is never brought up

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2021 at 05:00 PM

144 Constitutional Lawyers Call Trump’s First Amendment Defense ‘Legally Frivolous’

Claims by former President Donald J. Trump’s lawyers that his conduct around the Jan. 6 Capitol riot is shielded by the First Amendment are “legally frivolous” and should do nothing to stop the Senate from convicting him in his impeachment trial, 144 leading First Amendment lawyers and constitutional scholars from across the political spectrum wrote in a letter circulated on Friday.

Taking aim at one of the key planks of Mr. Trump’s defense, the lawyers argued that the constitutional protections do not apply to an impeachment proceeding, were never meant to protect conduct like Mr. Trump’s anyway and would most likely fail to shield him even in a criminal court.

“Although we differ from one another in our politics, disagree on many questions of constitutional law, and take different approaches to understanding the Constitution’s text, history, and context, we all agree that any First Amendment defense raised by President Trump’s attorneys would be legally frivolous,” the group wrote. “In other words, we all agree that the First Amendment does not prevent the Senate from convicting President Trump and disqualifying him from holding future office.”

output-1.png

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, China said:

144 Constitutional Lawyers Call Trump’s First Amendment Defense ‘Legally Frivolous’

Yes, but 20,000 social media bots, being forwarded by 5,000 people each, disagree.  

• Haha 3

^^^ Watch the concentration of activity at Harry's Bar - Proud Boys hangout in the Harrington Hotel at 12th and E Streets around 11:00 am. (It's seen as a bright, block long dash 3 blocks below the "n" and "g" of "Washington DC" in the heading.) Then it clears out in time for the invasion.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 3

Trump impeachment attorney to use video of Democrats during trial

Bruce Castor, former President Trump’s lead impeachment lawyer, said he’ll highlight Democratic lawmakers’ rhetoric during next week’s trial.

Speaking on Laura Ingraham’s Fox News show Friday, Castor said he will use video of Democrats’ comments to combat evidence against Trump that is anticipated to include video of his own remarks before a throng of supporters on the Ellipse prior to the deadly riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6. 

“Will you then respond with Maxine Waters, a number of other Democrat officials not speaking out about the antifa and other extremist rallies over the last summer?” Ingraham asked.

“I think you can count on that,” Castor responded.

“Many of them in Washington are using really the most inflammatory rhetoric possible to use. And certainly there would be no suggestion that they did anything to incite any of the actions,” he later added.

Castor indicated that he would highlight remarks Democrats made surrounding the Black Lives Matter protests over the summer. The demonstrations were largely peaceful, though critics have pointed to protests that became violent.

“There’s a lot of tape of cities burning and courthouses being attacked and federal agents being assaulted by rioters in the streets, cheered on by Democrats throughout the country,” 

• Haha 3

I posted this in the Riot thread but it perhaps more appropriate here.  To paraphrase Shakespeare, the Impeachment...

Trial’s but a talking show, a poor play
They'll strut and fret an hour upon the stage,
And then be heard no more. It is a tale
Told about an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

• Like 1

Here are two statements, and I want folks to think about them for the upcoming impeachment trial. 

"American had a peaceful transition of power on January 20."

"American had a peaceful transition of power in the post-election to January 20 timeframe."

Technically, January 20th went off smooth; But, America had the most violent "transition of power" I can remember.  I wish I never knew the name of Brian Sicknick, Ashley Babbit and the other unnamed victims.  My personal speculation is that the officers who committed suicide may have played a role in shooting Ms. Babbitt.  It was all because the President failed to concede and admit the truth about the Presidential election and actively spread lies.  I am still not sure Trump has conceded that Biden won.  

To me, it is not just about Trump and this election.  The "MAGA" and "MAGA-not" division of this country is poisonous because of the President's active role in distorting and bending "truth" to be what he wants to in the mind of his followers.  It scares me that if Donald Trump spent months and years repeating the lie that "the grass is blue and the sky is green", tens of millions of his followers would believe it.  And then one political party would also bend their truth to "the grass is blue and the sky is green" and be fighting to be "the biggest, best, green skyers ever".  It is quite Orweillian.  

Trump is smart enough to ensure the lies he sells are more nuanced than my example, but he was clearly behind the "big lie" in the events of January 6. And it was all because he failed to concede and admit the truth we had those riots. 

Don't let Trump and his enablers convince you America had a peaceful Presidential transition. Convict him and remove his cancer from our politics.

• Like 2

Babbitt was NOT a victim, and I have no issue with officers who quite reasonably felt threatened and opened fire. Honestly, I am still shocked more did not do so, and undoubtedly had the "hang Mike Pence" crowd managed to find the VP, the secret service would have turned it into a bloodbath.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Don't let Trump and his enablers convince you America had a peaceful Presidential transition. Convict him and remove his cancer from our politics.

I don't think most of the people on this board have any doubts about how unpeaceful the transition was or the need for Trump to be convicted so he can never again run for office.

Unfortunately the people that need convincing are the GOP senators, not us.  And there is no way in hell 17 of them will be convinced enough to convict him.  Or rather, while they may be convinced of his guilt they don't have the balls or political will to stand up and do what's right.

Pick a charity.  If Trump is convicted in the Senate I will donate $1000 to it in your name.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, China said:

I don't think most of the people on this board have any doubts about how unpeaceful the transition was or the need for Trump to be convicted so he can never again run for office.

Unfortunately the people that need convincing are the GOP senators, not us.  And there is no way in hell 17 of them will be convinced enough to convict him.  Or rather, while they may be convinced of his guilt they don't have the balls or political will to stand up and do what's right.

Pick a charity.  If Trump is convicted in the Senate I will donate $1000 to it in your name.

I choose the Califan007 Needs A New Laptop Foundation...

11 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Babbitt was NOT a victim, and I have no issue with officers who quite reasonably felt threatened and opened fire. Honestly, I am still shocked more did not do so, and undoubtedly had the "hang Mike Pence" crowd managed to find the VP, the secret service would have turned it into a bloodbath.

That tells a lot about those guys remaining cold headed in such a situation.

Badly trained guys would probably have turned it in a bloodbath, but in this case. I'm not sure you have the same ending of what happened, because the mob would have been quite unstoppable then.

Millions who likely voted for Trump want him barred from future office

It is common that many politicians grow more popular once they leave office. That has not been the case for former President Donald Trump.

On the eve of his impeachment trial in front of the Senate, new polling reveals that more Americans want him convicted than at any point during his first impeachment trial a year ago.
More amazingly, more want Trump barred from holding national office ever again than had even an unfavorable rating of any president after one term in office.

A new ABC News/Ipsos poll released Sunday shows that 56% of Americans are in favor of the Senate convicting Trump and barring him from holding federal office in the future. Just 43% are opposed to such an action.

This is merely the latest poll to find a clear plurality for such a measure, even after Trump left office. A Monmouth University poll taken at the end of January indicated that 57% wanted him barred from holding federal office and 52% wanted him convicted by the Senate.

Every single poll over the last month that I could find that meets CNN standards for reporting has shown that at least 56% of Americans want him to be barred from holding or seeking (depending on the question) federal office again.

Unfortunately, it will require 67% in the Senate.  56% is not enough.