Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Potential Legislative/Policy Agenda Discussions

goskins10

19 minutes ago, Larry said:

How about something considerably less putative?  

Maybe "Restore the tax rates to what they were when Reagan left office"?  

I do not believe that will have the impact we need in the timeline we need it. 

im not saying I will not support that. I absolutely will support that  

but, if the question is what restores balance the quickest? It’s a wealth tax. 

(and you don’t have to do a wealth tax indefinitely, I’m sure some math can be done, and a decision can be made about what constitutes “enough”, and after that point it can go away. Hell you could tie it to some metric so it phases in/out of existence automatically as a permanent tool of restoring balance)

the reality is a lot of things could be done. The biggest drains in income could be subsidized. A substantial UBI system could be done. A wealth tax, or other severe tax idea.  Hell the government could decide to give 500k to anyone with less than 1 million in wealth tomorrow  

tons of options. What will pass? What requires upending the system forever vs a shorter readjustment? What will backfire and ruin our economy? 

all important questions a functional government that cares about the well-being of its people, supported by a general population that generally cares about bringing the “floor” of the quality of life spectrum up, could answer. 

we don’t have any of that. The most likely outcome at this point is no minimum wage increase, and nothing else of substance. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by tshile

On 3/1/2021 at 6:53 PM, gbear said:

If HR1 passes, it could easily be an accomplishment as big as the Affordable Care act in terms of impact. It would be a profound change in how we govern. It would be one of the few things I could see overcoming my reluctance to do away with the filibuster.

House Democrats pass extensive voting and campaign finance reform bill, H.R. 1

The House of Representatives Wednesday passed Democrats' signature voting and campaign finance reform legislation that aims to expand access to the polls, fight partisan gerrymandering and set up new public funding for congressional races.

The For the People Act of 2021, known as H.R. 1, passed by a vote of 221 to 207. Three Republicans joined with Democrats in approving the sweeping voter rights reform that now heads to the Senate. 

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif, said the legislation is needed to combat voter suppression efforts in states, to crackdown on corruption and to diminish the influence of big donors in politics. 

"This is called the For The People bill," Pelosi said Wednesday at an H.R. 1 event prior to its passage. "And in doing so, we combat big, dark, special-interest money in politics and amplify the voice of the American people."

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

Anyone else’s feeds filled with Trumpers blaming the increase in gas prices on Biden?

I can’t think of one Trumper I know that hasn’t posted about it, if not multiple times.  Not one provides any substance, or can point to any of his policies that led to the increased price.

Quite frankly, I am open to breaking the filibuster to pass HR 1.  I believe Voting Rights reform and our Democracy is that important. It is unconscionable that the Senate would even not pass legislation that upholds voting rights and breaks down the BS that GOP is going to unleash based on the false claims regarding the 2020 election.  Of course I open up my e-mail and see Republicans arguing about "states rights".  

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Anyone else’s feeds filled with Trumpers blaming the increase in gas prices on Biden?

I can’t think of one Trumper I know that hasn’t posted about it, if not multiple times.  Not one provides any substance, or can point to any of his policies that led to the increased price.

Can you auto-reply to them that a bad economy pushes gas prices down?  

Watching the rerun of maddow. And kinda of catching up on the thread. So is the new idea to bar the filibuster from hr1?

maddow even talked about something saying filibuster cannot be used dont voting rights related items. 

I have two problems. And it’s something that irritates me about the Dems. And please correct me if I’m wrong. 

didnt Reid start this with... was it judicial appointments at the lower level? Cause the obstructionists were refusing to do anything?

and so then didn’t the republicans decide, hey, this now applies to the Supreme Court?

and now the Dems are saying hey just make it apply to this, or voting rights in general?

if I have that right... 

a) how have we not learned that when you change the rules to skirt ****ty Republican behavior, they then double down on whatever the underlying arguments were and do something even ****tier when they next get the chance? 

b) along those lines, they want to APPLY IT TO VOTING RIGHT IN GENERAL?!??! I’ve seen this movie before. Next time the GOP has power they’re going to use it to roll back voting rights. And whatever they do then will be worse than whatever positive comes out of now

it always feels like, political strategy wise, the republicans play chess and the Dems play checkers. 

Edited by tshile

18 minutes ago, visionary said:

Lots of Dems voting against minimum wage procedural vote.  Not sure what it is to be honest....

It would have added the $15/hr minimum wage provision back into the bill.  

• Thanks 1

@tshile

It all depends on your point of view.  Reid nuked the filibuster for judicial appointments and other executive nominees in 2013.  Was it because him and Obama wanted to stack the Federal Courts with radical liberals?  Or was it because McConnell upped the obstruction game and treated all Obama judges as radical liberals?  They did not use it for Supreme Court nominees... then when Trump came along the GOP removed SCOTUS filibuster.  

You do have a point that the GOP will just roll back any legislation.  

I would be less worried about GOP power if we didn't have the electoral college....

• Thanks 1

Yeah less concerned about specific view point of why (I choose to believe it was because the republicans were obstructionist) because it doesn’t really matter. I just wanted to make sure I have the order of operations correct 

22 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Quite frankly, I am open to breaking the filibuster to pass HR 1.  I believe Voting Rights reform and our Democracy is that important. It is unconscionable that the Senate would even not pass legislation that upholds voting rights and breaks down the BS that GOP is going to unleash based on the false claims regarding the 2020 election.  Of course I open up my e-mail and see Republicans arguing about "states rights".  

Norman Ornstein proposed rather than killing the filibuster, going back to the old fashioned version of it.  It is perverted the way it works now.  It's automatic for the GOP employing it... they don't even have to be present.  He suggests putting the onus back on whatever Party is using the filibuster - make them work for it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/03/02/manchin-filibuster-never-sinema/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fergasun said:

You do have a point that the GOP will just roll back any legislation.  

I would be less worried about GOP power if we didn't have the electoral college....

sure they will. But you live with that. You have to. Let them try to reverse popular policies Dems have passed without the filibuster. It would be political suicide rolling back a lot of those things. 

Additionally, if you pass the voting rights bills and reform our voting process, the odds of a GOP trifecta become a lot less likely. 

also, I’m fine with no filibuster and the presidential veto being the check on the senate rather than the minority party always just saying “lol no” 

If they take control of congress they can try, and Biden can Veto for a bit. That's a bridge you cross when you arrive there. 

Right now you do as much as possible without dragging your feet or being fooled into faux calls for unity and compromise.