Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

This TD was taken away from him (refs screwed us all game) but it was so Zach Wilson like IMO. 

After the game, he was asked which was harder — advanced mathematics or the NFL?

“Um, that’s a tough question,” he joked, grinning underneath his mask. “But, no, probably the NFL. There’s nothing harder than coming out cold, haven’t been on a team in a year and a half and then come in the fourth quarter and try to get something done.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/28/taylor-heinicke-washington-quarterback/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=wp_sports

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So if Heinicke wins this game to clinch playoffs, it would be so heroic, that could we nickname him "Sean Taylor Heinicke" ?

I kid.

He would be a folk hero forever enshrined into DC football lore.   Then he would get a playoff game against the greatest NFL qb to ever play the game.  Brady.  Not a better script.  Im pulling for him.  Bring it on.  

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll give Heinicke this.  PFF ranked his performance as the best WFT QB performance of the season.  I don't know if i'd go that far.  I'd give it to Alex versus the Lions.  But I'll say it was a lot of fun to rewatch it.  I'd say 2nd best QB performance of the season. 

I forgot that he had an earlier TD taken from him because a lame holding call.  And that TD pass would have been a beauty.    Golden and Thomas dropped almost a perfectly placed deep ball.  Terry would have excelled with the way Heinicke played.

The thing is you can see he brings a spark.   He plays with a lot of moxie.  His movement/elusiveness in the pocket was a blast for me to rewatch.  I can see why Chase in particular dug it. 

And the guy had what? ONE quarter. It was one of the best quarter in term of QB play in while imao!

Kind of reminds me of when Todd Collins came in and immediately started getting the ball out and the chains started moving.  He was really limited but had enough to win some games.

But if I recall correctly, Collins had a PhD in Saunders 9000 page playbook.  TH has barely even been around, sort of wild how he was able to get the ball out as fast as he was.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But if I recall correctly, Collins had a PhD in Saunders 9000 page playbook.  TH has barely even been around, sort of wild how he was able to get the ball out as fast as he was.

Actually that's not true.

TH has more in common with TC than you know. Because he actually knows our playbook very well. He's known our OC Turner for 5 years, since they were both in Minnesota in his first yer/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not asking him to be a 10 year franchise QB stud. Just have one decent game and help win us a division and you'll go down in Washington football lore. Hell we STILL talk about the Colt McCoy Dallas MNF win and that game turned out to be meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

But it wasn't meaningless to me... I was holed up in the overnight maternity ward with my new son and wife.  Had nothing else to do but watch MNF... and Colt gave me even more joy on a joyous day!

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Actually that's not true.

TH has more in common with TC than you know. Because he actually knows our playbook very well. He's known our OC Turner for 5 years, since they were both in Minnesota in his first yer/

I didn’t realize the relationship went back that far.  I knew there was a connection but not to that extent.  He certainly looked familiar with what he was being asked to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newera said:

He would be a folk hero forever enshrined into DC football lore.   Then he would get a playoff game against the greatest NFL qb to ever play the game.  Brady.  Not a better script.  Im pulling for him.  Bring it on.  

To add to that, can you imagine : Taylor Heinicke the one to officially, and finally retire the GOAT, by beating him in Washington

How long before someone else butts in, and says we're getting carried away, and taking this too far ? ;)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

Oh yeah, Turner clearly likes the kid and that definitely bodes well for our mission.

I am fine with Heiny starting next week and if he tanks he tanks and lets have Alex working middle relief. I kind of see the game largely being decided on how our D handles Hertz. We will be game managing, our choice of QB may not be of utmost importance. No turnovers. RUN GIBSON.

Last game was a twilight zone classic. RR stewing inside can't take it anymore and finally yanks Haskins late only to see Haskins run on the field like Leslie Neilsen in Airplane 'we're all counting on you' completely confused on how to act. And then bolts after the game... its almost a jekyll and HIDE stunt. And then a 15OA cut a day later even though our starter is injured.  And we saw our WR drop the easiest of catches... our noobie coulda been a contendah.  I have a hunch we will see him on Sunday in some capacity.  Smith may well be forced in, and not 100%. Although I am sure he will be happy to hear Fletcher ****ing Cox is out.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I didn’t realize the relationship went back that far.  I knew there was a connection but not to that extent.  He certainly looked familiar with what he was being asked to do.

Its very small sample but I liked what I saw mire than anything that Kyle Allen showed us this year.   Just curious why the coaching staff preferred Kyle so much that they traded for him when TH was on the streets.

12 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

Its very small sample but I liked what I saw mire than anything that Kyle Allen showed us this year.   Just curious why the coaching staff preferred Kyle so much that they traded for him when TH was on the streets.

I thought Kyle was showing he might be able to put it all together the game he got hurt. He definitely looked worth the midround draft pick for a youngish QB. 

• Like 4

Okay I might be an idiot and I'm not nearly as good at the X's and O's as others, but I was blown away watching this kid! I mean, even with Alex we haven't seen QB play like that. I hear this stuff about the noodle arm but I sure as hell didn't see that. Yeah his throws have an odd arc to them and I guess people say low arm strength affects intermediate sideline throws more than straight downfield - okay, I'm sure that's true, I've never played competitive football so what the hell do I know - but you can't tell me his performance wasn't refreshing to watch!

Plus, the dude is smart. Engineering major. Does book smart automatically mean football smart? No. But he does seem football smart. His decision making was off the charts quick, even including whether to climb the pocket or bail and roll out, and that was coming in cold after being out of football for a while! 

Maybe defenses can study his tendencies and goad him into throwing picks, like the one or two he almost threw. But can't he study and put in the work to overcome those flaws in his game?

I read his Wikipedia. Seems like what did him in during his previous stints was landing on IR multiple times. When you're a first round pick, you can go on IR and come back the next year. When you're UDFA, that usually means you're gone.

But maybe all he needs is a chance. And maybe some luck to stay healthy long enough to prove he has enough skill to be in the mix. Sure, probably not. But maybe??? Can't we root for that to be the case??? Why can't WE be the ones who find the diamond in the rough for once??

I AM HIGH ON HEINICKE Y'ALL. I BELIEVE!!!!!!!  

Thats My Quarterback GIFs | Tenor

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll give Heinicke this.  PFF ranked his performance as the best WFT QB performance of the season.  I don't know if i'd go that far.  I'd give it to Alex versus the Lions.  But I'll say it was a lot of fun to rewatch it.  I'd say 2nd best QB performance of the season. 

I forgot that he had an earlier TD taken from him because a lame holding call.  And that TD pass would have been a beauty.    Golden and Thomas dropped almost a perfectly placed deep ball.  Terry would have excelled with the way Heinicke played.

The thing is you can see he brings a spark.   He plays with a lot of moxie.  His movement/elusiveness in the pocket was a blast for me to rewatch.  I can see why Chase in particular dug it. 

Don't forget the bomb to Simms.  Simms dropped it, but the ref, standing in perfect position didn't call the obvious PI.  Watch the play and notice how Simms breaks inside and pulls away at the 5 ( or so) and has his right arm grabbed enough to slow him down and keep him from getting his hands into position.  Terrible non-call by the ref.

Edited by ILikeBilly
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Sounds like the guy says Tyler instead of Taylor...lol

But his breakdowns of every play is really good coming from a fan. Good stuff. 

Kurt instead of Kirk.  Had to do it.  It's all good.  LOL  :)

• Haha 2

My concern is that Alex hasn’t played in a month.  He is going to be a bit rusty for live speed.  Brees was off in his come back game vs KC and it showed.  They lost.  And Alex ain’t Brees.  The last thing we need to do is fall behind the Eagles and start getting that “Here we go again feeling.”  

Can we have a game we’re we play with a lead or at least be competitive early.   Always within one score.  Do we have time for Alex to play his way back into shape.  We don’t have time.  This is it.   I don’t know.  What about his mobility.  

I’d start Taylor and have Alex back him up.  Give this kid his once in a lifetime opportunity.  The team seems to want to rally behind him.  I think Taylor will keep this game competitive.  

He will have more of a run game.  A week of practice.  His dream.  His chance.  Unlike Haskins I don’t think the moment will be to big for him.  Cinderella Baby!!  

My prediction.  He leads us to the game winning field goal.  And,  Hopkins does what. . .  . 

Shrugs. 

You know it’s going to come down to that . . . 

Haskins and Hopkins have cost this team four to five games.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ananoman said:

except Vermeil had Mike Martz, who revolutionized the offensive side of football as his OC, Faulk, Bruce and Holt to go along with Warner.  But who knows, maybe a new Cinderalla story is being played out right in front of our eyes.

Holt and TMac have a similar game. Gibson and Faulk have a similar game. Maybe AGG or Harmon come back and be our Bruse. 

Norv found Trent, his kid finds Hienikie. Vet goes does, no named back up emerges. 

Everyone loved Vermeil and Ron is certainly in that same level of respect.

Lots of real similarities. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Newera said:

A dude doing online classes gets a quarantine QB call and a few weeks later plays the greatest QB ever.  Nuts. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

The more I watch him, the more he reminds me of Gardner Minshew. And that might be all this team needs right now with as good as our defense is. You know he'll throw some picks, but as long as he's scoring 2-3 TD's a game in the process that might be good enough. 

Just my $.02.

@Spaceman Spiff, MINSHEW?!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

The more I watch him, the more he reminds me of Gardner Minshew. And that might be all this team needs right now with as good as our defense is. You know he'll throw some picks, but as long as he's scoring 2-3 TD's a game in the process that might be good enough. 

Just my $.02.

We've kept almost everyone under 20 points this year and that's without LBers. 

If our offense can score in the first half and put teams on their heals, we can unleash the D and then rely on a ground and pound attack.

Build that team correctly, then we can use a cheap second tier QB until we groom a young guy. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

And for the kind of year 2020 has been, why not end it with a practice squad QB contributing to a division winning victory?

I would love to see Heinicke start and win Sunday's game to then ignite the "who should start the playoff game" QB controversy.