Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

He “lacks size” in as much as he has appeared in three NFL games and in the first two games he left because of injury.  Sunday was the first time that he actually played and didn’t end up on IR.

We really are a thirsty fan base for any QB. Lol

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The odds of Heinicke being some diamond in the rough are slim to none, or else he would have been on a roster already.  That being said, it just goes to show you how terrible the quarterback play has been this year when he was the top rated guy via PFF all season and because there are actual murmurs about starting him over Smith (or pulling Smith early if things get hairy) for him against the Eagles.  

I guess the asterisks around "major longshot" and the double down on maybes wasn't enough to convey the odds were slim to none?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Disco Mike said:

I saw this kid play in person at ODU.   I live 10 minutes away.  He was special, no matter the competition.  There is a reason he was drafted.  I hope he ends up starting and winning for us.  That's my two cents anyway :)

He wasn't drafted and has more ints and trips to the IR than TDs despite being on 4 teams.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

He wasn't drafted and has more ints and trips to the IR than TDs despite being on 4 teams.

Ok.  I stand corrected for the draft.  However, maybe he can turn it around.   I hope he can because he is a good kid.   Like I said, he was special at ODU.

1 minute ago, Disco Mike said:

Ok.  I stand corrected for the draft.  However, maybe he can turn it around.   I hope he can because he is a good kid.   Like I said, he was special at ODU.

You have to admit.  He looked a hell of a lot better than DH...but that ain't saying much...lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

The odds of Heinicke being some diamond in the rough are slim to none, or else he would have been on a roster already.  That being said, it just goes to show you how terrible the quarterback play has been this year when he was the top rated guy via PFF all season and because there are actual murmurs about starting him over Smith (or pulling Smith early if things get hairy) for him against the Eagles.  

Kurt's like... "Hold my Beer."

1_390950.jpg

58 minutes ago, Disco Mike said:

I saw this kid play in person at ODU.   I live 10 minutes away.  He was special, no matter the competition.  There is a reason he was drafted.  I hope he ends up starting and winning for us.  That's my two cents anyway :)

Thanks Disco Mike.

I'm a Monarch too... I commented to another friend that TH was just doing his thing.. no surprise to anyone who watched him at Foreman Field.

He made the Carolina defense look like it was Campbell University.  just knifed them up like a hot knife thru butter.

Edited by petey hodge
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Kurt's like... "Hold my Beer."

1_390950.jpg

Thanks Disco Mike.

I'm a Monarch too... I commented to another friend that TH was just doing his thing.. no surprise to anyone who watched him at Foreman Field.

He made the Carolina defense look like it was Campbell University.  just knifed them up like a hot knife thru butter.

If Sims makes that catch on the long bomb, that was totally different game.

• Like 6

Don't forget Trent Green was out of football as well.  Norv worked him out as a favor to a friend and signed him as a 3rd string project. Turned out he was the best QB on the roster.  It's a long shot but these story book tales do happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3. Heinicke is very familiar with Washington offensive coordinator Scott Turner.

Heinicke signed with the Minnesota Vikings as an undrafted rookie in 2015 and spent two seasons working under then quarterbacks coach Scott Turner. That familiarity paid off in April of 2018, when Ron Rivera and the Carolina Panthers claimed Heinicke off waivers despite having attempted just one NFL pass during his first three seasons. Months earlier, Turner returned to Carolina to serve as the team's quarterbacks coach.

"I've known Taylor for a long time," Turner told the Panthers' team website on Dec. 20, 2018. "I watched his film and was intrigued."

Three days later, Heinicke replaced the injured Cam Newton and made his first and only professional start, completing 35 of his 57 passes for 320 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions in a 24-10 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. The Panthers re-signed Heinicke the following March but released him during final roster cuts.

"First of all, he's a good athlete," Rivera said of Heinicke earlier this month. "He really is. He has tremendous athletic ability, good speed, good quickness. He's got a good arm. He can make most throws in this league. He's a little bit of a gunslinger. He's got good toughness about him."

4. Before signing with Washington, Heinicke kept his NFL dream alive while planning for life after football.

Months after the Panthers released him, Heinicke was allocated to the St. Louis BattleHawks before the 2020 XFL Draft. Heinicke did not record any statistics in five games, and his contract was terminated when the league suspended operations in April.

Not knowing when he would receive another chance to play football, Heinicke decided to return to Old Dominion this fall to finish his engineering degree. His four courses: partial differential equations, applied numerical methods, mathematics in nature, and number theory and discrete mathematics.

"Taylor's a sharp dude," Rivera said recently. "He picked up [the offense] right away."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Disco Mike said:

You have to admit.  He looked a hell of a lot better than DH...but that ain't saying much...lol

Quoting a post within the same post is metta AF. 

• Haha 1

I just watched his Carolina highlight film and then rewatched his part of the game from Sunday.   He's a fun guy to watch.  His pocket presence is really good and he's so elusive when he's on the move.   He has a little Zach Wilson in him on that front.   His coach said today he ran a 4.6 and killed it on the 20 shuttle.   Watching him, he looks fast.  He's faster and more mobile than Kyle Allen.  He's really decisive.  Quick release.  I read a few articles about him -- his teammates seem to love him.  

His faults seem to be he has some Fitzpatrick in him where he likes to take chances without the arm strength to match.  The way he plays he's going to have picks.  He likes to take chances and hopes his receivers make contested catches.  With the Wrs we got (sans Terry) that might not work for him.  He doesn't have much zip on his passes.  And durability concerns.

I'll say this some have compared him to Colt.  I forgot if it was here or twitter.  At least from the sample I watched he's better than Colt because he's faster and more elusive in the pocket.  I think he also has slightly more zip on his passes.  I am not sold that he's a starter but from what I watched he'd be a good backup because he knows the playbook, he's decisive, and he plays with zest.  

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

^

Another hopeful parallel to Dick Vermeil, is in his first stint as a HC, he made it to the Super Bowl, but lose (just like Rivera)

His 2nd HC stint he won the Super Bowl. And it started out the same way as it is with Ron, just like you noted above with the "replacement QB"

except Vermeil had Mike Martz, who revolutionized the offensive side of football as his OC, Faulk, Bruce and Holt to go along with Warner.  But who knows, maybe a new Cinderalla story is being played out right in front of our eyes.

Dunno if this was posted here, but then again, if it was, i post it again! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJZUyTCDa_i/?igshid=1g31gsg7ijokz&fbclid=IwAR0Mg_nxgfL_4mssGEkkITdAxk5lF6B5AAfhCVp0XywYYCTWWdly3KttIf4

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Heinicke talk here

Seem it was, but then, wow , let watch it again, and the point is not just Heinicke, this Chase Young is a great youngster with the seed of a leader, ''i love it man, i love it!''

I'm not asking him to be a 10 year franchise QB stud. Just have one decent game and help win us a division and you'll go down in Washington football lore. Hell we STILL talk about the Colt McCoy Dallas MNF win and that game turned out to be meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

I'll give Heinicke this.  PFF ranked his performance as the best WFT QB performance of the season.  I don't know if i'd go that far.  I'd give it to Alex versus the Lions.  But I'll say it was a lot of fun to rewatch it.  I'd say 2nd best QB performance of the season. 

I forgot that he had an earlier TD taken from him because a lame holding call.  And that TD pass would have been a beauty.    Golden and Thomas dropped almost a perfectly placed deep ball.  Terry would have excelled with the way Heinicke played.

The thing is you can see he brings a spark.   He plays with a lot of moxie.  His movement/elusiveness in the pocket was a blast for me to rewatch.  I can see why Chase in particular dug it. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll give Heinicke this.  PFF ranked his performance as the best WFT QB performance of the season.  I don't know if i'd go that far.  I'd give it to Alex versus the Lions.  But I'll say it was a lot of fun to rewatch it.  I'd say 2nd best performance of the season. 

I forgot that he had an earlier TD taken from him because a lame holding call.  And that TD pass would have been a beauty.    Golden and Thomas dropped almost a perfectly placed deep ball.  Terry would have excelled with the way Heinicke played.

The thing is you can see he brings a spark.   He plays with a lot of moxie.  His movement/elusiveness in the pocket was a blast for me to rewatch.  I can see why Chase in particular dug it. 

Plus he's out there using his free hand to wave down and direct receivers like a 10 year veteran, without a single jitter in his nerves, like he can do this in his sleep

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'll give Heinicke this.  PFF ranked his performance as the best WFT QB performance of the season.  I don't know if i'd go that far.  I'd give it to Alex versus the Lions.  But I'll say it was a lot of fun to rewatch it.  I'd say 2nd best QB performance of the season. 

We win if he started.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Plus he's out there using his free hand to wave down and direct receivers like a 10 year veteran, without a single jitter in his nerves, like he can do this in his sleep

lol, I know there is a risk I'll sound like a crazy man to tout basically a journeyman who was out of the league but I genuinely was wildly impressive when I watched some of his Carolina highlights and then rewatched his game from Sunday.  I am a bit of a sucker for QBs with good mobility -- that dude might be the most elusive QB in the pocket I've seen in Dan's long miserable reign.  RG3 was of course faster and a better runner and a much bigger threat on the move.  But Heinicke IMO is more elusive than RG3 was.   Heincke also has some speed.   I used to run track and I am not a bad judge of speed.  Sometimes I think coaches/players exagerrate speed.  Heinicke to me looked every bit of the 4.6 runner his coach claimed he is.   

• Thanks 1

We often hear a backup QB will be better with first team reps for a week.

I kinda feel like that is offset by a DC actually game planning for them for a week.  

OT a bit but I like to force a DC to game plan for 2 QBs. And I still call bunk that a team can only use one QB.  Seeing Fitzmagic come in as a relief pitcher just works. Tayson pushing Brees to the sideline inside the red zone works.  If Alex is limping but playing maybe he can get spelled by Heinie as a change up.  It looks to me like Alex has lost a lot of mobility.   Maybe we will see a week 17 surprise at least some tight to the vest play by RR to make it tougher on Philly.

18 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

We win if he started.  

Rewatching that, I'd say almost 100%. 

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

We often hear a backup QB will be better with first team reps for a week.

I kinda feel like that is offset by a DC actually game planning for them for a week.  

OT a bit but I like to force a DC to game plan for 2 QBs. And I still call bunk that a team can only use one QB.  Seeing Fitzmagic come in as a relief pitcher just works. Tayson pushing Brees to the sideline inside the red zone works.  If Alex is limping but playing maybe he can get spelled by Heinie as a change up.  It looks to me like Alex has lost a lot of mobility.   Maybe we will see a week 17 surprise at least some tight to the vest play by RR to make it tougher on Philly.

Yeah that's true.  Also the style of how Heincke plays, is so different than Haskins that I can see it being quite the adjustment for the defense.    But I'd say the one thing that jumps off screen to me about him is his elusivness in the pocket and ability to make plays when things break down.  It's not a bad skill to have against the Eagles front.  Haskins got beat up by that front on opening day in spite of the win.  I would still trust Alex more because of experience but part of me would have fun to see if Heinicke could do a repeat performance.  So if Alex can't go, I'll feel OK.   

• Like 1