Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

I think we need to temper our expectations a little bit, despite the good stuff we saw from Heinicke yesterday.  After all, this is the board who had an infatuation with Colt Brennan at one point.  

And if you're saying you weren't a part of that, bull****.  It's like McDonald's, there are people who eat McDonald's and then there are the liars who say they don't.

So if you, at one point, squinted really hard at Colt Brennan and saw an NFL quarterback and are getting excited about Heinicke...calm down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

@Spaceman SpiffI think people are generally infatuated with QBs who dont throw consistent 3-and-outs...  and we were subjected to that torture for the past 3 weeks with injured Alex and Make it Rain Dwayne at the helm (SF, SEA, CAR).  TH was a breath of much-needed fresh air.

I just hope TH is damage-tolerant enough to last 60 minutes against the iggles.

Edited by petey hodge

47 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

@Spaceman SpiffI think people are generally infatuated with QBs who dont throw consistent 3-and-outs...  and we were subjected to that torture for the past 3 weeks with injured Alex and Make it Rain Dwayne at the helm (SF, SEA, CAR).  TH was a breath of much-needed fresh air.

Yea, the way we've been "conditioned" as WFT fans, it's hard to tell whether my senses are correct, that Heinicke is a really good QB...or

if he's just average, but relatively speaking, just appears to be really good, because of what we're used to

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, the way we've been "conditioned" as WFT fans, it's hard to tell whether my senses are correct, that Heinicke is a really good QB...or

if he's just average, but relatively speaking, just appears to be really good, because of what we're used to

Heinikie is not a good QB  :ols: 

6 hours ago, petey hodge said:

@Spaceman SpiffI think people are generally infatuated with QBs who dont throw consistent 3-and-outs...  and we were subjected to that torture for the past 2 years with Alex and Make it Rain Dwayne at the helm (SF, SEA, CAR).  TH was a breath of much-needed fresh air.

Fixed it for you.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Tired of hearing about the arm strength of this guy like it's the only thing that matters.

Dude heaved a pass from the 45ish yard line to the end zone yesterday a yard or two into the end zone.  That's all you really need.  Look, if a WR can run a 4.4 40 yard dash, the QB has about 2.5, maybe 3 seconds to heave that ball to a point where the WR can catch it on a fly route.  After that, it's usually YAC, did the receiver get enough separation, was he hit in stride, etc.  

All that bull**** about someone who can throw it 65 yards in the air is meaningless.  It doesn't matter because it doesn't apply to game situations that often, unless it's like a Hail Mary situation.  

The guy seemed accurate, he knew the plays, he could hit open receivers.  THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.   DON'T OVERTHINK IT.

Additionally, several of Haskins' interceptions this year were due to arm strength. I'm not only talking the pop ups that come in too strong for a receiver to catch, but the fact that he would throw the ball with so little loft that the linebacker out of position in no man's land could snag the ball. Knowing when to throw it hard and when the ball needs a little arc seems more important than having having a 100 mph fastball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm definitely relieved that Dwayne is gone forever, but let's not kid ourselves. Pretty sure Heinikie knows he doesn't have a future in the NFL either.

If he's like most of us, he certainly doesn't know it... and, for now, I hope he doesn't know it. Even if this is his Rudy moment then let him ride if for all it's worth.

As for futures, as some of you know I have authorly aspirations, I've had plays produced, books published, but have remained pretty small time even though I made the humorist bestseller list for about a month once. Still, when my fingers stray to the keyboard to finish off a story there's that glimmer of a daydream that says, "Maybe this time!"

As for Heinicke, there have been some extremely "untalented" QBs who have carved out a good NFL career. So, what I'm saying is... keep fighting.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

And if you're saying you weren't a part of that, bull****.  It's like McDonald's, there are people who eat McDonald's and then there are the liars who say they don't.

I don’t eat at 🤮 McDonald’s, you 🤬.

So I said it!

1 hour ago, ClaytoAli said:

So I said it!

Everyone eats McDonalds, bro.  At one point or another.  It's cool, you can admit it or keep getting defensive about it :) 

8 hours ago, petey hodge said:

People are infatuated with the backup QB, almost always.  People are infatuated with the idea that the guy on the bench can turn into the next Kurt Warner or the next Tom Brady.  Every football fan out there wants that, unless your starter is Mahomes or Rodgers or Wilson or Jackson or one of those.  If your starter is middle of the pack or mediocre, you're constantly wondering if the backup could be the guy.  Because the backup hasn't had the chance to **** up and break your heart yet.  The backup has limitless possibilities.  

That's why we're infatuated here, because Haskins sucked and was a bad person and we so desperately wanted someone to come in and save the day and it damn near happened.  And in our collective minds, all we could talk about after the game was "Man, if Heinicke had the whole second half, we'd have won." 

No one knows that, but it's nice to think about.  It gives us the warm and fuzzies.  It gives us hope.  And as a sports fan, a little bit of hope is all you want to start with.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I rewatched HineyHiney’s work in the 4th quarter last night.

Man, that ball comes out of his hand like a beach ball.  The arm-strength/ball-velocity is highly reminiscent of Danny Weurffel.

And yet...he put up the best stretch of QB play we've had all year.  Small sample size, but the results were there.

Ball got out way faster, too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

And yet...he put up the best stretch of QB play we've had all year.  Small sample size, but the results were there.

Ball got out way faster, too.

His anticipation is the key.  If his reads and recognition are on point, he’s gonna throw some dimes.

He might throw a couple picks, too.  But that’s something we can probably overcome if he’s consistently moving chains.

Im optimistic.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

This kid needs and deserves his own thread. I, for one, am really hoping to see him start on Sunday and lead us into the playoffs. 

The positive about him is that he sees the field well and throws with good anticipation.  The negative is that his arm strength is not nearly good enough for playoff football when defenders get away with more grabbing and a QB will need to fit the ball in tight windows.   Even though I'm from Hampton Roads and would love to see the kid do well I'm praying for Alex Smith to be healthy enough to play.  

Does anyone know the strengths and weaknesses of Montez?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

So I said it!

I was in the movie Stripes; it was filmed at Fort Knox KY in 1980.  That very scene actually.  I was directly behind Murray with all the other trainees.  Got $45 for a couple of hours away from the barracks. (Still have the stub from central casting somewhere)  Murray was great with the troops.  He was clowning around with all of us.  I think the actor who played the General was tipsy.  Had to do several retakes because he kept slurring the word "adversity."  

A bunch of guys were cat calling PJ Soles and the other gal who wore skirts that day.  Our Drill Sergeant fussed at us - until she hiked up her skirt.  Then he turned and said "ok, that was pretty cool."   Different times - imagine the headlines today...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Everyone eats McDonalds, bro.  At one point or another.  It's cool, you can admit it or keep getting defensive about it :) 

Uh, no. Last time I ate at one was in Rome near the Spanish Steps in 1990 because I was a poor grad student. Prior to that maybe 3 or 4 times for breakfast pancakes during college. Mcdonald's is disgusting. Before I gave up fast food I did go to BK or Wendy's, but never Mcdonald's.

Heineke, I hope, can be mediocre. If he rises to Dilferesque execution, I will be happy. I think he may be Scot Turner's Todd Collins, and I will be fine with that for this week.

11 hours ago, clietas said:

Then proceeds to replay it a half dozen times from every angle.🤭

Poor JD that hit looked rough. 😔

11 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea I got a headache just from watching replays of McKissic getting pancaked over and over and over and...

JD is shufflng sideways to meet a linebacker who already has a full head of steam.  I ain't worried about that.

~~

I had a couple of issues with that guy's film breakdown before I stopped watching.  On the overthrow to Sims at 10:12 or so, he neglects to mention that had Sims not broken stride, that ball is accurate.  Instead, Sims started to slow up to tuck into an opening in the zone just as the ball was released. So maybe a bad decision throwing into coverage, but the throw would not have been inaccurate had Sims not slowed down.

Then he describes the very next play as a designed play by Scott Turner.  But I would bet a bag of bagels that was instead a check-down by Heinicke in response to the blitz. He hit Antonio Gibson, his hot read, perfectly with a linebacker charging at him.  The Panthers threw multiple blitzes at him and he countered correctly on just about every one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Uh, no. Last time I ate at one was in Rome near the Spanish Steps in 1990 because I was a poor grad student. Prior to that maybe 3 or 4 times for breakfast pancakes during college. Mcdonald's is disgusting. Before I gave up fast food I did go to BK or Wendy's, but never Mcdonald's.

Heineke, I hope, can be mediocre. If he rises to Dilferesque execution, I will be happy. I think he may be Scot Turner's Todd Collins, and I will be fine with that for this week.

At one point or another, (like my post said) you ate McDonald's.  It was so good, you even remembered where you were and when you had it.  

I see you, Riggo-toni.  You're like Hugh Grant, a highfalutin artist out late prowling for some strange.  Except instead of a hooker, you're hitting the McDonald's drive thru for that double quarter pounder.  You don't want anyone to know about it, so you drive cross-town to that McDonald's that's a little off the beaten path, maybe it has a poorly lit, really narrow drive thru without a bail-out lane so you lessen the risk of no one seeing you.  You hit that first window and you start to twitch when you hand the cashier your credit card, and by the time you make it to the second window, you're practically itching all over.  As soon as you've got that bag with a grease stain in your car, you whip out of that parking lot and stop somewhere else, a place where it wouldn't be so bad to be spotted late at night so if someone approaches you, you can deny the whole thing.  It's your happy place.

And then you tear that bag open, the anticipation of that double quarter pounder is almost as good as the burger itself.  Do you inhale it?  Do you slow down and savor it?  Before you can answer the question, it's gone.  And there you are, Riggo-toni, just another addict in the game.  You'll wake up in the morning like nothing happened, give the wife a kiss and pretend like you didn't sneak out and cheat on her with fast food.  

But deep down, you know who you are.  It's ok to admit it.  The first step, as they say, is admitting that you have a problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6