Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Heinicke Hive Thread


Recommended Posts

 

 

 

 

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

This is looking more and more, like a case of scouting departments missing out on a good one, than it is, some guy who's just a flash in the pan.

In my gut I feel the same as you. I do have real concerns about durability in any kind of long term starter role

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love seeing underdogs like TH get their chance... as a hiring manager, it's interesting to note the difference in work ethic between a show-pony C-student from a top-shelf University versus a straight-A student from a smaller college.  TH is a grinder, period.  If he can just stay upright... we'll be in good hands.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Traded the Orlando Pace though. 

 

So close and yet so far. 


Not based on the year Williams had last year. He was more like old  Williams, not ole’ Williams.

Link to post
Share on other sites

106.7 The Junkies are interviewing him now and he said he doesn't even know what other teams reached out to his agent because he really only wanted to come back to the WFT.  He's going to be working out with WR's and reaching out to them now to get something schedule. 

 

He says his shoulder is 95% and should be 100% in a couple weeks. 

 

Reference durability, he feels in the few games he's started, he was going all out because he didn't know if that would be the last game he ever played.  Said he could've been smarter like the TD run in the Tampa game, the smarter thing would have been to run out at the 2 and have 4 downs to get a TD.

 

Reference Tampa's tough D line, he said looking back on that tape the offensive line played their butts off.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the size of the contract for a player with this resume I'm pretty sure the team felt there was interest around the league.  

 

I just had to watch the Tampa game again after all the fuss. I know I may regret this but I'm getting on board as well.  The pocked presence discussed already is clearly there, and that's not going away.  Neither will his ability to escape the pocket and make plays.  His arm strength is still suspect, but that means he throws a catchable ball.  I've always thought arm strength is down the list but it's still a small concern.  But he sure is small, I don't think he's even as big as Wilson. More like Doug Flutie.

 

Watching again was painful reminder of how Gibson was still hurt and totally ineffective, Ron should have given the other backs the workload.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Given the size of the contract for a player with this resume I'm pretty sure the team felt there was interest around the league.  

 

I just had to watch the Tampa game again after all the fuss. I know I may regret this but I'm getting on board as well.  The pocked presence discussed already is clearly there, and that's not going away.  Neither will his ability to escape the pocket and make plays.  His arm strength is still suspect, but that means he throws a catchable ball.  I've always thought arm strength is down the list but it's still a small concern.  But he sure is small, I don't think he's even as big as Wilson. More like Doug Flutie.

 

Watching again was painful reminder of how Gibson was still hurt and totally ineffective, Ron should have given the other backs the workload.  

He's the same size as Russell and Brees. I actually think Ron learned from Haskins (and even Cam to an extent) that size and arm strength is not the be all, end all. You look around the league and there are a couple QBs in the 6'1 range. Tyrod Taylor and Jalen Hurts are listed at 6'1 just like Heineke. Ironically Russell is listed at 5'11. Now to that, Hurts and Russell seem a bit more muscular/solid. 

 

Now to the arm strength.....I've never bought into it if the QB is able to throw with timing as well as throw players open. Taylor seems to have that in him. Playing RB/WR in college myself, I'd much prefer a QB that throws with touch than a Haskins fastball. Tough on the hands (and the body if you happen to be one of those dudes that catches the ball with your body.....scrub). 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

He's the same size as Russell and Brees. I actually think Ron learned from Haskins (and even Cam to an extent) that size and arm strength is not the be all, end all. You look around the league and there are a couple QBs in the 6'1 range. Tyrod Taylor and Jalen Hurts are listed at 6'1 just like Heineke. Ironically Russell is listed at 5'11. Now to that, Hurts and Russell seem a bit more muscular/solid. 

 

Now to the arm strength.....I've never bought into it if the QB is able to throw with timing as well as throw players open. Taylor seems to have that in him. Playing RB/WR in college myself, I'd much prefer a QB that throws with touch than a Haskins fastball. Tough on the hands (and the body if you happen to be one of those dudes that catches the ball with your body.....scrub). 

 

Just because his is listed as 6'1" does not mean he is actually 6'1".  I don't think there is any chance he is that tall, just as I came to realize the 3 star power forward Maryland signed is not actually 6'8" as listed.  He looks like Brees, maybe a bit smaller.  But at his age he is certainly capable of adding weight, God knows we all did.  :)

 

 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

Just because his is listed as 6'1" does not mean he is actually 6'1".  I don't think there is any chance he is that tall, just as I came to realize the 3 star power forward Maryland signed is not actually 6'8" as listed.  He looks like Brees, maybe a bit smaller.  But at his age he is certainly capable of adding weight, God knows we all did.  :)

 

 

Exactly. I could care less about his height. The eyes don't lie. He ran this offense so much better than any QB I've seen in it. But yea, players are always "listed" bigger and taller then they really are. I remember taking my son to a Santana Moss WR camp. That dude was Kevin Hartish. Anyway, this is not a tall man's sport and he's proven himself capable. Its not like NFL players are taller than college players. Adding weight could be helpful if it doesn't change his mechanics and mobility. I'm sure this staff will figure it out. 

 

Sounds like Heineke is already on it:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/2/10/22264759/taylor-heinicke-presser-wont-change-playing-style-but-will-play-smarter-and-gain-weight-avoid-injury

 

 

Edited by joeken24
add
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Now to the arm strength.....I've never bought into it if the QB is able to throw with timing as well as throw players open. Taylor seems to have that in him. Playing RB/WR in college myself, I'd much prefer a QB that throws with touch than a Haskins fastball. Tough on the hands (and the body if you happen to be one of those dudes that catches the ball with your body.....scrub). 

 

Always assumed arm strength had less to do with how far a QB could throw the ball and more to do with certain WR routes that need the ball to get their hella quick. I remember some out routes that Todd Collins would throw that seemed to take forever to get to the WR, with the DBs like an inch away from either knocking it down or intercepting it. There was a lot of talk about his lack of arm strength on those throws.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on my recall of similar discussions when TH was a senior at ODU and preparing for the draft, I believe he was measured at 6' 0.5", and it was just noted as 6'1".  All evidence I have seen would contradict any thought that he is under six feet tall. Could be wrong, but don't think so

 

 https://lastwordonsports.com/2014/12/27/2015-nfl-draft-taylor-heinicke-scouting-report/

https://nflmocks.com/2015/02/08/old-dominion-qb-taylor-heinicke-nfl-draft-scouting-notes/

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Based on my recall of similar discussions when TH was a senior at ODU and preparing for the draft, I believe he was measured at 6' 0.5", and it was just noted as 6'1".  All evidence I have seen would contradict any thought that he is under six feet tall. Could be wrong, but don't think so

 

 https://lastwordonsports.com/2014/12/27/2015-nfl-draft-taylor-heinicke-scouting-report/

https://nflmocks.com/2015/02/08/old-dominion-qb-taylor-heinicke-nfl-draft-scouting-notes/

He admitted during a Junkies interview that he was under 6'0

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The 6-1, 210 pound Heinicke is a gunslinger who has nice athletic ability and versatility, even able to punt. In fact, Heinicke punts really well for a quarterback.


Watch out Tress Way... Dual threat QB. Starting QB/Starting Punter.
 

"He had 42 punts in his career with a 42.5 average per punt. Not bad for a QB."

Edited by slinky
added quote
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, slinky said:


Watch out Tress Way... Dual threat QB. Starting QB/Starting Punter.
 

"He had 42 punts in his career with a 42.5 average per punt. Not bad for a QB."

Yep, he'd often punt out of the shotgun formation on 4th down.  Coach Bobby Wilder was a special teams river boat gambler (more addicted than Ron, but lower table stakes)

Edited by petey hodge
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ntotoro said:

Santana Moss was listed as like 5'11". I saw him once at Target and he was maybe 2-3" taller than me... maybe

 

I'm 5'5"

I'm 6'3 so it could have been me. But Santana is 5'9 tops. I know Kevin Hart is shorter. But still.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, slinky said:


Watch out Tress Way... Dual threat QB. Starting QB/Starting Punter.
 

"He had 42 punts in his career with a 42.5 average per punt. Not bad for a QB."

 

image.png.ec58ae8a092d732123d97de0939abd9e.png

 

I think it is even more awesome to have a dual threat QB that leads his team in punt return yards!  1974 Washington leader in punt returns and punt return yards... Joe Theismann.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nerm said:

 

Pic

 

I think it is even more awesome to have a dual threat QB that leads his team in punt return yards!  1974 Washington leader in punt returns and punt return yards... Joe Theismann.

...he could punt, if 1 yd is good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, joeken24 said:

He admitted during a Junkies interview that he was under 6'0

No, what he said is:

 

"When my trainer introduces me to new people as an NFL quarterback, [they say], ‘No, he’s not. This guy is like 5’10” looking 170,’” Heinicke said. “Actually have to go prove myself to everybody out there."

 

His comment was simply that people at the gym believe he is not an NFL quarterback because, to them, he looks to be 5'10" and 170 pounds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

No, what he said is:

 

"When my trainer introduces me to new people as an NFL quarterback, [they say], ‘No, he’s not. This guy is like 5’10” looking 170,’” Heinicke said. “Actually have to go prove myself to everybody out there."

 

His comment was simply that people at the gym believe he is not an NFL quarterback because, to them, he looks to be 5'10" and 170 pounds.

Well there you go. 6'1 makes him as tall as Brees, Hurt, Taylor, Murray and Tua. So far, he's played just as good in the two games he's played in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...