Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

16 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Well I’m not quite as sold on him as others are, but damn, well done. What a great contract for a guy who showed up, worked, and earned respect. 

Fair play.

We sure do agree on things with regard to the QB position. It really is crazy to believe in a guy who has less than 100 NFL snaps, we've seen players flash before. I never expected this sort of deal for the guy but good for him. He deserved it and clearly is in the mix to compete for the starting position. Though I don't think it will happen imagine if he turned into a Jeff Garcia, Romo or a Gannon in Oakland. How fun would it be to root for this guy then?  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

We sure do agree on things with regard to the QB position. It really is crazy to believe in a guy who has less than 100 NFL snaps, we've seen players flash before. I never expected this sort of deal for the guy but good for him. He deserved it and clearly is in the mix to compete for the starting position. Though I don't think it will happen imagine if he turned into a Jeff Garcia, Romo or a Gannon in Oakland. How fun would it be to root for this guy then?  

If Chase Young is endorsing Heinicke then why shouldn't we believe? 

• Like 3

Well, we have our backup QB. Depending on what we do at QB, TH may get a shot to compete for the starting job. I just don't see him as a long term starter. I think he's a QB that can fill in when needed but if given a chance to become the starter; he'll let you down.  He could be a Nick Foles and plays well, when coming of the bench.  When given the starting job, he performs poorly.

I know most here think he will be our Kurt Warner. I think he will be our Nick Foles. If our starting QB got hurt late in the Year, TH could fill in and maybe go on a run.

He earned his contract but I don't think we have that long term starter yet. Heresy to TH is our Kurt Warner fans.

I'm so happy with this. I'm not saying he's the messiah, but he earned a shot to prove he can do it. I don't know whether he can or not, but the dude can play ball at least in spots and he deserved a chance to stay in the league. Worst case, he's a streaky back up.

Great signing and really happy for the dude.

• Thanks 1

At the very least, this might give Washington a tiny bit of leverage in any ongoing or future trade negotiations for a QB. We don't appear to be quite as desperate as yesterday. 

I'm totally fine with going into the season with TH and KA if it means we'll address the other glaring holes.

• Like 4

Good move by the FO.

The kid showed he can compete for the starting spot at QB.

Things are falling into place:

- No outlandish trade for an old QB

- No pre-drama for the draft

- Re-signed what seems to be a very good back-up QB, at the very least

Starting to believe.

Edited by El Mexican
  • Like 1

This is extremely important for building the future whether TH improves from here, tanks from here, or simply sits the bench because we make a larger move. It shows the guys on the roster (and across the league) that gutsy play like he showed to end the season will be rewarded in this organization. It’s huge. 

We become a more coveted destination when players with a chip on their shoulder see guys like Logan Thomas and Taylor Heinicke are allowed to play their butts off and win jobs here. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I like this move. Rewards a player for on field production (limited as the sample size may be) and the team is no longer in desperation for a QB. Sure, if they can upgrade the position at a reasonable cost you do it (though the last QB trades seemed a bit pricey to me). At best, Heinicke continues (or surpasses) his level of a play against the Super Bowl champs, at worst he's a backup.

I’m extremely reserved about Taylor because his story rarely happens, but I want him to succeed so bad. He is a guy I can get behind and be excited for. I love how he plays. His accuracy, his movement within the pocket, his affinity to play vertically when the opportunity presents itself and his agility isn’t just speed but he has that pinball type of agility that is extremely important on the field.

• Like 3

I think Heinicke has the mindset to take advantage of this opportunity. He has the mind you want for a franchise QB, and he knows he has to pack on some weight. His issues can hopefully be reduced by just packing on 5-10 more pounds this offseason. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

On 2/7/2021 at 11:50 AM, Califan007 said:

The thing that keeps me grounded about Heineken is that Kyle Allen started out REALLY hot as well...then nosedived the rest of the way. I don't want to pass up on a proven commodity or a highly promising college QB just to be stuck with two versions of the 2019 Kyle Allen on the team.

I hear ya, chief, and no disagreement from me. I just think it's best to have a solid stable of QBs, from starter down to 3rd string, just in case. Injuries happen.

I like Allen as well. Both of those guys are NFL backups, but to me are damn good ones. They're well-versed in the Turner system, so we really wouldn't miss a beat if one of both of them had to end up playing as a result of starter injury. Contrast this with having to rely on Josh Johnson and Mark Sanchez. Sweet Lord. The problem with having sub-par backups on your roster is that you might actually have to play them. We won't have that worry at the QB position. As for the starter...........🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I hear ya, chief, and no disagreement from me. I just think it's best to have a solid stable of QBs, from starter down to 3rd string, just in case. Injuries happen.

I like Allen as well. Both of those guys are NFL backups, but to me are damn good ones. They're well-versed in the Turner system, so we really wouldn't miss a beat if one of both of them had to end up playing as a result of starter injury. Contrast this with having to rely on Josh Johnson and Mark Sanchez. Sweet Lord. The problem with having sub-par backups on your roster is that you might actually have to play them. We won't have that worry at the QB position. As for the starter...........🤔

The thing with TH is that his entire college career he put up big numbers albeit a small school still huge numbers.  I have always been meh about Kyle Allen. Yeah he was a huge recruit out of HS but but if my memory serves me correctly was never steady in college and counted around when he didn’t get the starting nod. He was inconsistent in college.  I’m hoping TH can put a little mass on him and can have a productive career.  

• Like 1

I'm a little bit of a homer on Heinicke because I'm an ODU alum. Many years before he graduated, though. But Heinicke is legit! Dude just didn't get the exposure. And once he did get into the league, he was behind Bridgewater and then Newton. No chance. He's got what it takes, though. I still would like to draft Lance and sit him for about a year to let him learn under the tutelage of Zampese and the other QBs. I like ol' Heinicke. Not sure how much additional mass he can add to that frame, but I do think that a full off-season of training and conditioning would work wonders for him. Dude literally went from studying for finals to instantly playing lights out in the playoffs. If not for a few drops, some Stevie Wonder action on the TB offensive line holding calls....we could've taken that wild card game.

• Like 4

Great move!  Low risk, high reward.  I'm hoping TH gets a shot, I want to see what he can do.  His small sample size here is phenomenal, I'd rather he prove he can't handle being the man here before we significantly invest in the remaining options.

And as someone said before, man did TH seize his opportunity.  I give him a ton of credit for that.  Off the street, under the bright lights, and he was awesome.

It will be interesting to see how it is structured, and what the base salaries / guarantees are.

• Like 6