Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

8 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I hate to bring up the "KC" word, but Kirk Cousins was absolutely abysmal in his first 16 games as a starter.  The people writing off Kyle Allen after 17 career starts is legitimately baffling to me.  And Allen's numbers are better than Cousins's.  Now here comes the disclaimer: I do not think Allen is "the future" or that he will turn into the next Kirk Cousins...but he was easily the best quarterback on this roster last season and it wasn't even close.  

You are correct. But I do think that Allen is not ready to play from the injury. It’s why the team has been pushing th to be so careful 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

You are correct. But I do think that Allen is not ready to play from the injury. It’s why the team has been pushing th to be so careful 

I think Allen played well last year but he has the same problem that Heinicke had coming into this season. He has to prove he can stay healthy. 

I'll also say that while I didn't like his arm strength last year, it's not what puts him behind TH to me. It's that even when he was playing, he wasn't getting the ball to his the way TH is. I'm mainly taking shots downfield and 50 50 balls. He wasn't as bad as Smith or Haskins but he wasn't playing like his career was on the line either. I did like his running ability but he got hurt twice (Giants game and Rams game) last year. Not something I like in a backup. 

He looks noticeably less confident now than he did before.  When he was just winging it and filling in, he seemed much more free and confident.  But once it became about him getting his shot to be a full time starting QB, it all fell apart.  Like he's thinking too much, about everything.  The coaching points, previous mistakes, future ramifications for his career, etc all look like it's running through his head when he's out there.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

The coaching points, previous mistakes, future ramifications for his career, etc all look like it's running through his head when he's out there.

Unless you are of the very small elite class of QB's, I gather this goes for most every QB playing the game to different extents.

In Heineke's case though, we have to remember that he was a backup in the XFL who is now starting in the NFL.  It's basically apples to oranges as far as talent, speed, and complexity.  I can only imagine how fast the game feels to him.  It's true that he played more free in the beginning, but that was also at a time when there wasn't much tape on him at all.  NFL DC's figure out how to make elite QB's uncomfortable, so just imagine what that's like for a guy like Taylor.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, justice98 said:

He looks noticeably less confident now than he did before.  When he was just winging it and filling in, he seemed much more free and confident.  But once it became about him getting his shot to be a full time starting QB, it all fell apart.  Like he's thinking too much, about everything.  The coaching points, previous mistakes, future ramifications for his career, etc all look like it's running through his head when he's out there.

I think he's overthinking things to, because look at his games.  He's using his legs one week and when they lose he tries to be a more of a dropback guy the next week, then they lose and  he switches off again. The amount he runs or rolls out one week to the next seems  planned and intentional rather than natural reactions

• 2 weeks later...

Unique ceiling reached today. Not so much about stats but ability to recapture momentum at various points in the game. It’s a team game and a total team effort, but required Heineke to be great. Competent QB play doesnt win today. 

Whatever rookie QB it is next year, he will have to beat out Heineke. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

If he can keeps it up like this. He'll be good to go to me for a few more years.

That's the big question now. Can he sustains this kind of play on any given sunday?

Probably not.  And that's okay, he'll still be able to hold a clipboard and play every once in awhile and make enough money to change his family's fortune.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Probably not.  And that's okay, he'll still be able to hold a clipboard and play every once in awhile and make enough money to change his family's fortune.

And do what I care about most… donate money back to Old Dominion athletics.

I long NFL backup QB career will assure this!

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm surprised no one's complained that he couldn't get it done when it counted against Brady in the playoffs last year but he just ****ed us on draft positioning in a relatively meaningless game.

Probably because he played great both back then and today, and the only difference was that the defense didn't get picked apart today?

Having said that, he's been bad plenty this year.

Edited by SpacePenguin