Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington Football Team vs Carolina Football Team

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Colt McCoy in 2018 when Alex got injured. Nick Mullens in his first start with the 49ers several years ago. Matt Flynn. Drew Stanton. There are a lot of QBs out there that can make it work when they only have to do it for 1 or 2 quarters, some even a whole game. Being gameplanned for makes a world of difference. We've seen what Dwayne looks like when he's gameplanned for, so I'm good with seeing what Heinicke can do.

Make no mistake, I'm not crowning Taylor H at all. But DH doesn't need to be game-planned against. He's much like a basketball player that you don't need to defend because you know he's normally not going to make the open shot. He's not accurate and he doesn't make quick decisions in the pocket. But the most damning is his awareness.  So with all that said, I'm in agreement with you. We'll see if Alex is not healthy for the game. TH does strike me as a guy that may throw one or two bad balls into coverage (Ala the nullified TD throw to Logan (even though he completed the pass)).

• Like 2

I trust Rivera and respect the **** out of him, love that he’s our coach, but what happened today hurts my soul. I just don’t understand it. The man built his reputation on morals and riverboating, so why break it all now? how does he start Haskins? And how does he leave him in after that first half showing?!

that being said, we had a lot go against us... on top of Haskins throwing the game. Terrible drops, terrible calls, terrible no calls, and too many literal bounces that went Carolinas way. 

this one hurts in a new way that I can’t put in to words. Just so disappointed and utterly confused.

18 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, they ruled that play dead, and their justification was "the runner wasn't going anywhere, since someone had his leg, and it would endanger his safety, to continue the play"

Huh ? Like no player has ever broken a tackle, from someone who practically had their shoestring ???

The worst part is the whistle didn’t blow until after the ball was out. 

just like the holding flag on the Logan Thomas Td didn’t come out until after Heineken threw the ball. 

Edited by CTskin
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

Dude search his posts on Sean Taylor before he  died. He has the nerve now to call him his favorite player on his bio page. Dude is a pretend feminist and threw so many of our players under the bus including Sean.  Do a search of his posts in 2006 and 2007 then try to defend him...

Also, if you’re not drunk after that debacle you have either admirably decided to conquer your demons and not drink anymore or more likely you are doing life wrong. 

You must literally have me confused with someone else.  I never, ever was anything but among the most vocal Sean Taylor fans and defenders.  You want to explain how I referred to him as a god in cleats?  How his was, and is, basically the only jersey that I've ever worn since 2005?  How have I been adamant that there are two types of people: Those who saw his greatness and those who missed out?

And I threw our players under the bus?  I'd get pissed when they performed poorly, but I was an ardent supporter of everyone wearing our colors.  Certain players would infuriate me, Reed Doughty for example.  When I was wrong, I even made threads about eating crow happily as players exceeded my expectations.

And a pretend feminist?  Brother, you really must have some wires crossed.  I've been an advocate for women's equality in my personal, academic, and professional lives in their entirety.  It's literally my life's work.

Seriously, man, I don't know who you're talking about, but it sure as hell isn't me.  The fact that you try to remember so far back and fail at a Haskins-type level is equal parts flattering, pathetic, and creepy.  Take your libel somewhere else.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, NewCliche21 said:

You must literally have me confused with someone else.  I never, ever was anything but among the most vocal Sean Taylor fans and defenders.  You want to explain how I referred to him as a god in cleats?  How his was, and is, basically the only jersey that I've ever worn since 2005?  How have I been adamant that there are two types of people: Those who saw his greatness and those who missed out?

And I threw our players under the bus?  I'd get pissed when they performed poorly, but I was an ardent supporter of everyone wearing our colors.  Certain players would infuriate me, Reed Doughty for example.  When I was wrong, I even made threads about eating crow happily as players exceeded my expectations.

And a pretend feminist?  Brother, you really must have some wires crossed.  I've been an advocate for women's equality in my personal, academic, and professional lives in their entirety.  It's literally my life's work.

Seriously, man, I don't know who you're talking about, but it sure as hell isn't me.  The fact that you try to remember so far back and fail at a Haskins-type level is equal parts flattering, pathetic, and creepy.  Take your libel somewhere else.

I agree.

The description does not sound like you, at all

2 minutes ago, CTskin said:

this one hurts in a new way that I can’t put in to words. Just so disappointed and utterly confused.

Honest question: why? This is not a good team, they're not a contender. We have pieces and we're improving, but we aren't good. We've been buoyed by a soft schedule and an awful division. This division is a consolation prize, one of the worst divisions in a long time, maybe even in the history of the league. Id rather be in position to solve QB for the long term, and become legitimately competitive, than win some pitiful division, and unceremoniously bounced in the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I trust Rivera and respect the **** out of him, love that he’s our coach, but what happened today hurts my soul. I just don’t understand it. The man built his reputation on morals and riverboating, so why break it all now? how does he start Haskins? And how does he leave him in after that first half showing?!

that being said, we had a lot go against us... on top of Haskins throwing the game. Terrible drops, terrible calls, terrible no calls, and too many literal bounces that went Carolinas way. 

I think you're being too hard on Rivera.  Heineke has only been on the team a few weeks.  I'm sure he's probably still learning the playbook.  Haskins was the logical option in this situation. 

Yeah, in retrospect, Heineke should have started.  Even though Heineke has only been with Washington 3 - 4 weeks, he obviously has much more poise and field awareness than Haskins does.

2 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

And thanks to @ConnSKINS26 for also having my back.  What a crazy post.

That dude is unhinged. I put him on ignore after he made some inappropriate jokes about Rivera's cancer--and defended it about something I said defending Zorn, or something? I don't recall exactly, but I lost all interest in anything he had to say.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Honest question: why? This is not a good team, they're not a contender. We have pieces and we're improving, but we aren't good. We've been buoyed by a soft schedule and an awful division. This division is a consolation prize, one of the worst divisions in a long time, maybe even in the history of the league. Id rather be in position to solve QB for the long term, and become legitimately competitive, than win some pitiful division, and unceremoniously bounced in the playoffs.

I agree that we suck, but it's still a disappointing loss.  After giving both Pittsburgh and Seattle tough games, you would think that we can beat a 4 -10 team at home with our defense.  I expected Haskins to play poorly, but not quite this badly.  And I wasn't expecting 4 turnovers, either.  Although the Haskins' fumble call was total bull****.  

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

That dude is unhinged. I put him on ignore after he made some inappropriate jokes about Rivera's cancer--and defended it about something I said defending Zorn, or something? I don't recall exactly, but I lost all interest in anything he had to say.

I love Ron, loved the hire from day 1. Right now I’m not judging anything other than what just happened. He played a qb who egregiously violated what Rivera has stood for his whole career. That disappointed and confused me. If you’ve followed Rivera’s career, you’ll understand what a headscratcher this is.

Maybe the qb gave one helluva apology, begged to be given another shot and Rivera bit. Fine, I’m not happy about it, but fine.

then Haskins has one of the worst first half performances that I’ve ever seen and he’s still in! Then it’s not until there’s what 6 mins left before Rivera finally pulls the plug?! My 20 month old son could have seen that literally any other dresses player would have given us a better shot to win the game. 

that’s why I’m confused and disappointed. The man went against his strong moral code and then showed a serious lack of recognition that this qb was costing us the game.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

I agree that we suck, but it's still a disappointing loss.  After giving both Pittsburgh and Seattle tough games, you would think that we can beat a 4 -10 team at home with our defense.  I expected Haskins to play poorly, but not quite this badly.  And I wasn't expecting 4 turnovers, either.  Although the Haskins' fumble call was total bull****.  

It's hard to overstate just how damning losing Alex for Dwayne was for this team. With Alex, I felt we could beat anybody. With Dwayne, I feel like anybody would beat us.

32 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Make no mistake, I'm not crowning Taylor H at all. But DH doesn't need to be game-planned against. He's much like a basketball player that you don't need to defend because you know he's normally not going to make the open shot. He's not accurate and he doesn't make quick decisions in the pocket. But the most damning is his awareness.  So with all that said, I'm in agreement with you. We'll see if Alex is not healthy for the game. TH does strike me as a guy that may throw one or two bad balls into coverage (Ala the nullified TD throw to Logan (even though he completed the pass)).

Agreed.  Every NFL defense can put 10 players on the field against Haskins and they would still have a decent chance of beating him every week.  The guy is clueless with no poise and he is perfectly content being clueless with no poise.  

• Like 1

@Riggo#44 forgot to mention that yes I’m with u about the playoff thing. The thought of dropping 10 picks and facing a 1st place schedule next season for this embarrassing division title is not worth it.

I say that now, but if Heineken tears up the eagles next week like he did against the panthers prevent D, then I’m all about the playoffs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, CTskin said:

I love Ron, loved the hire from day 1. Right now I’m not judging anything other than what just happened. He played a qb who egregiously violated what Rivera has stood for his whole career. That disappointed and confused me. If you’ve followed Rivera’s career, you’ll understand what a headscratcher this is.

Maybe the qb gave one helluva apology, begged to be given another shot and Rivera bit. Fine, I’m not happy about it, but fine.

then Haskins has one of the worst first half performances that I’ve ever seen and he’s still in! Then it’s not until there’s what 6 mins left before Rivera finally pulls the plug?! My 20 month old son could have seen that literally any other dresses player would have given us a better shot to win the game. 

that’s why I’m confused and disappointed. The man went against his strong moral code and then showed a serious lack of recognition that this qb was costing us the game.

Rivera's taking a lot of criticism for his decision at QB.

All I have to say, is even if they're right and he was at fault, Rivera is more than deserving of some slack, some rope, and the benefit of the doubt, after all the positive changes he's made

• Like 5
1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

It's hard to overstate just how damning losing Alex for Dwayne was for this team. With Alex, I felt we could beat anybody. With Dwayne, I feel like anybody would beat us.

I'm in total agreement.  Alex Smith is a great QB.  I don't care what his numbers are, he understands the game and he knows how to win.  And he inspires the rest of the team, which is a very important intangible quality that gives a mediocre team like Washington a boost.  I hope Smith is ready to go next week.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jnhutchi3 said:

I'm in total agreement.  Alex Smith is a great QB.  I don't care what his numbers are, he understands the game and he knows how to win.  And he inspires the rest of the team, which is a very important intangible quality that gives a mediocre team like Washington a boost.  I hope Smith is ready to go next week.

As a Caps fan, Alex reminds me of Brooks Orpik from the 2018 Stanley Cup team. Old & on his last legs, not nearly as effective as he used to be, but a total gamer and most importantly an undisputed leader whom EVERYBODY respect and followed. Tone-setter. You CANNOT appreciate the value those guys bring to a team from a stat line. That's why fans and most media will never give them their due, especially national media heads bc they don't actually watch the games or do the research.

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

As a Caps fan, Alex was sort of like Brooks Orpik for the Cup run team. Old & on his last legs, not nearly as effective as he used to be, but a total gamer and most importantly an undisputed leader whom EVERYBODY respect and followed. Tone-setter. You CANNOT appreciate the value those guys bring to a team from a stat line. That's why fans and most media will never give them their due, especially national media heads bc they don't actually watch the games or do the research.

Boom. 

1 minute ago, jnhutchi3 said:

Also, I think this last game, is a good gauge, as to what to expect from Alex's leg in the future.

If his leg lingers on for yet another week to keep him out against Philly, I think it's a safe bet that you can't count on his leg, long-term ; 2021 and beyond.

Obviously we need to draft a QB next year. But we might even need to replace Smith too, with a veteran to bridge the gap.

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Rivera's taking a lot of criticism for his decision at QB.

All I have to say, is even if they're right and he was at fault, Rivera is more than deserving of some slack, some rope, and the benefit of the doubt, after all the positive changes he's made

Absolutely, I’m not saying fire the man. He’s done a helluva job changing the culture and lighting fires in these guys... all I’m saying is the decisions he made today deserve all the criticism that they’re getting. That’s just today, I’m over it tomorrow and looking to the eagles.

but if Alex can’t go next week and some hope mopey **** face gets the start then I’m actually going to start questioning things. Haskins can not prove any more than he has that he’s not a leader, not a team player, and does not give us the best chance to win. And that’s coming from a Haskins apologist.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, CTskin said:

Absolutely, I’m not saying fire the man. He’s done a helluva job changing the culture and lighting fires in these guys... all I’m saying is the decisions he made today deserve all the criticism that they’re getting. That’s just today, I’m over it tomorrow and looking to the eagles.

but if Alex can’t go next week and some hope mopey **** face gets the start then I’m actually going to start questioning things. Haskins can not prove any more than he has that he’s not a leader, not a team player, and does not give us the best chance to win. And that’s coming from a Haskins apologist.

It's more likely Haskins is cut from this team this week than that he starts against the Eagles. He's taken his last snap as a Teamer. I guarantee you he won't be active if he's still on the roster. If Alex can't go it'll be Heinicke backed up by Montez.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Interesting the way that ended with Ron, being asked what he expected from Dwayne.

Both his response and lack of words, to begin with.

Struggled to come up with an answer, then when he did answer, it just seemed like the politically correct answer.

Apparently he has given up on Dwayne like the fans.

and it was a one word answer...  period.

It was telling.