Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

7 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

That's interesting, considering the University of Louisiana - Monroe for example when forced by the NCAA to change their name from " Indians ", are now the " War Hawks ".

But anyway, we're not going to be the " War Hawks ".

I wonder when they'll have to change that again.

On 2/14/2021 at 4:19 PM, Painkiller said:

that's just as good as some of the other suggestions I've seen 😝

Check this one out.  I could totally get on board with something like this.  

Washington Warriors Logo Concept on Behance

Spartan Love (Gay Historical Romance MM) Part 3 (Gay Ancient Greek) -  Kindle edition by David, Leo. Romance Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

I think you've watched this series too many times.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, UK Skins said:

That is totally frigging awesome, thanks mate!!

That movie still haunts my dreams.

I could get behind that though,

What down is it?

Is it first down?

No

Is it second down?

No

It's Watership down and these bunnies aren't messin around.

Lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hey you might be onto something there, perhaps you better get in touch with the WFT quickly!

You know they remade the film to make it less scary? Like you I was used to the old version.  "Come back and fight! Dogs aren't dangerous!"

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That movie still haunts my dreams.

I could get behind that though,

What down is it?

Is it first down?

No

Is it second down?

No

It's Watership down and these bunnies aren't messin around.

Lol.

Watership down, Artax in the quicksand sadness swamp in never ending story, the freaking red bull in the last unicorn.

I could go on and on, but damn did GenX come up with some seriously ****ed up kids movies. :ols:

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Watership down, Artax in the quicksand sadness swamp in never ending story, the freaking red bull in the last unicorn.

I could go on and on, but damn did GenX come up with some seriously ****ed up kids movies. :ols:

You forgot the black hole 

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wonder when they'll have to change that again.

I don't know. I guess whenever a few of the descendants of some Republican congressman from the late 1700's and early 1800's who were pushing us towards a war with England, say they're offended.

So ... Whenever that happens.

On 2/24/2021 at 9:25 AM, max21 said:

What about just Washington Wolves? 

If we go with any animal mascot this one makes the most sense.  I'd far and away choose Washington Wolves over Washington Redwolves.  We don't need to have the word Red in the name.  I've said it before, but for me any use of that word now will seem like a desperate attempt to hold on to Red something.  We don't need to do that, let's move on.  Red anything would be a pale comparison to Redskins.  If we hadn't been Redskins before, no way Redwolves would even be on the table.

I'm ready for Warrior football baby.  Play like Warriors today.         

• Like 2

Since we're sticking with WFT for another season, could we at least make the helmets look respectable, like this?  Bring back the stripes, and have the numbers match what is on the jersey...(this is not my idea, but I love it anyway)

Redskins_potential WFT uniform.jpg

Edited by SkinsFanPA
  • Like 10

I love reading everyone's opinions in here, this topic really interests me.  Sports uniforms and logos are something I really dig, and now that a complete rebrand is happening to my team, even though I am bittersweet about it, I can't wait to see what happens, and I hope they knock it out of the park.

A few of my thoughts, I apologize for any uber-repetitiveness...

Would "Renegades" be a bad idea?  You could stick with the Lombardi-era uniforms, and it would check a bunch of boxes:  It would get rid of the previous name, the previous logo, yet it still would allow a connection to the past.

I personally had never considered "Warthogs", but I actually like it.  That, and Razorbacks.  Again, you could keep the Lombardi-era uni's (or move in a different direction), and the Hogs could come back as a nickname, and we know how we love that one.  Good suggestions, those of you who thought if it!  Plus, some graphic designer could come up with a really mean Warthog logo...

As for RedWolves, I'm not totally sold...but I heard an argument about how it would give the younger fans an identity as the team moves forward.  Us old farts don't factor in THAT much, but to the younger generation?  Kids like my 9-year old son?  A cool name with a cool logo would be huge...not only that, if/when a new stadium comes along, it could be nicknamed the Den/the Wolf Den, and you could play wolf howls over the PA system to get people fired up, you could put scratch graphics on the stadium, etc...might be something worth considering.

Man, all that to say that I just want them to get this totally right.  Just nail it.

Redskins_LombardiEraUniforms1.jpg

• Like 4

SkinsFanPA

For what its worth I think that helmet design looks fantastic!

47 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

Since we're sticking with WFT for another season, could we at least make the helmets look respectable, like this?  Bring back the stripes, and have the numbers match what is on the jersey...(this is not my idea, but I love it anyway)

1 hour ago, SkinsFanPA said:

As a temporary brand, and I stress temporary... I absolutely like putting the stripes back on the helmet.  This does look better.  I think putting the numbers on one side, and the W on the other is another good option, or removing the numbers altogether and just putting the W on both sides with the stripes.

• Like 1

so, does the launch of washingtonjourney.com along with the phrase "New Name, New Era" and statement "the future of washington football arrives in 2022" suggest that the name itself has already been selected?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SkinsFanPA said:

As for RedWolves, I'm not totally sold...but I heard an argument about how it would give the younger fans an identity as the team moves forward.  Us old farts don't factor in THAT much, but to the younger generation?  Kids like my 9-year old son?  A cool name with a cool logo would be huge...not only that, if/when a new stadium comes along, it could be nicknamed the Den/the Wolf Den, and you could play wolf howls over the PA system to get people fired up, you could put scratch graphics on the stadium, etc...might be something worth considering.

Man, all that to say that I just want them to get this totally right.  Just nail it.

I agree about wanting them to nail it.  The season is over and this is a fun topic to talk about right now.  I’m excited for what the future holds.  As a lifelong fan I really want this to be something the old fans can get behind, but also bring new and younger fans into the fold.  I do think that for a lot of kids Redwolves would appeal to them, because like I said it my opinion it does sound juvenile.  Redwolves is a name for a kids team or a college mascot, not an NFL team.  Although I will say the kids will get behind what their parents get behind.  Case in point, I showed my 9 year old a Redwolves design and a Warriors design. He likes the Warriors design better.  (Probably because he knows dad likes that one better).

For me I really like team names, mascots that speak to the city the team plays in.  For example, the Ravens.  Everything about that branding for the city of Baltimore is perfect.  The Edgar Allen Poe poem influenced name, the purple and black uniforms, the look and feel of the stadium, the pre game graphics.  I’m not ashamed to admit the Ravens brand was all done so well.   New England has the Patriots...fitting.  Tampa Bay has the Buccaneers...fitting.  Dallas has the Cowboys...fitting.  Philadelphia had the Eagles...fitting.  Houston has the Texans...fitting.  All those names speak to their location, the history, and the culture of the cities they play in.   

Some of our fans want Redwolves because we used to be called Redskins, and we can keep HTTR.  Others want it because they actually really do like it, and try to make a case that it was indigenous to Washington D.C.  Maybe pre the city’s actual existence it was and there were a lot of them around.  I just think that’s a reach to make it fit.  For me, it just feels forced.  

On the other hand, Washington Warriors just feels so natural to me in the Nation’s Capitol and the name sounds tough and aggressive.  Warriors is a commonly used sports team name, but the branding here in D.C. can be something totally unique.  I like the Greco-Roman soldier look in combination with the name, (works with the Capitol and Memorials and the Greco-Roman designs of many of the other buildings), but even the current W or a sharper variation could be used.  A spear minus the feather can be used.  All of them could be used as part of the brand.  The possibilities are endless.  

7 minutes ago, onedrop said:

so, does the launch of washingtonjourney.com along with the phrase "New Name, New Era" and statement "the future of washington football arrives in 2022" suggest that the name itself has already been selected?

All indications are they have yet to decide.  I’m sure there are favorites.  They also have to secure the trademark which will take time.  Dan Snyder already at one time had secured the trademark for the name Washington Warriors, but he let it expire. The name would have been used for an Arena league team that never got off the ground.  I’m sure he never intended it to be used as the Redskins replacement name or he wouldn’t have let it expire.  However, here we are.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

All indications are they have yet to decide.  I’m sure there are favorites.  They also have to secure the trademark which will take time.  Dan Snyder already at one time had secured the trademark for the name Washington Warriors, but he let it expire. The name would have been used for an Arena league team that never got off the ground.  I’m sure he never intended it to be used as the Redskins replacement name or he wouldn’t have let it expire.  However, here we are.

it just makes me wonder. given all that goes into a complete and permanent rebrand, plus the fact that they chose WFT so as not to rush, why give ANY timeline at all? yes, it is only the year and they didn't specify day one of 2022 but 2021 is already 2 months down. depending on when the announcement is made i assume we are looking at a wait  of 1 year to 18 months with the latter being less likely as it would be right at the start of the season and they will want the new gear out before then. so I'm thinking 15 months or so from now is most likely. not really a lot of time if you haven't even landed on a name yet. then again we are talking about the WFT so....

1 minute ago, onedrop said:

it just makes me wonder. given all that goes into a complete and permanent rebrand, plus the fact that they chose WFT so as not to rush, why give ANY timeline at all? yes, it is only the year and they didn't specify day one of 2022 but 2021 is already 2 months down. depending on when the announcement is made i assume we are looking at a wait  of 1 year to 18 months with the latter being less likely as it would be right at the start of the season and they will want the new gear out before then. so I'm thinking 15 months or so from now is most likely. not really a lot of time if you haven't even landed on a name yet. then again we are talking about the WFT so....

Who knows, but I do know the best time would be right after the 2021 season ends.  Gives you time to hype the brand and sell new gear.  You go into the off-season and draft with a new brand in place.  

19 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Who knows, but I do know the best time would be right after the 2021 season ends.  Gives you time to hype the brand and sell new gear.  You go into the off-season and draft with a new brand in place.  

agreed. if the FO feels the same they have a year or a bit more. i believe the name has been chosen and is only known by a very few.

36 minutes ago, onedrop said:

agreed. if the FO feels the same they have a year or a bit more. i believe the name has been chosen and is only known by a very few.

Could very well be.  Over 11,000 submissions were sent in to the team.  Most of them are probably the same 2 or 3 options.  My guess would be Redwolves and Warriors are the most common.  A lot of fans no doubt said bring Redskins back.  I can get behind anything as long as it doesn’t suck.  My next favorite outside of the Warrior designs I have seen is the fan submitted Wolves logo on the website.  Looks fierce and aggressive.  Although it is a distant second.  

• Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportscasting.com/washington-football-team-announces-update-new-name/%3famp

The “Future of Washington Football arrives in 2022” part of the Washington Journey page has started to make it into the press now.  I think “future arrives” telegraphs that they will not be keeping Football Team permanent despite some discussion to the contrary.    

I think people will be so ready for a new name after rooting for “Football Team” for 2 seasons that they will be more apt to get behind whatever they choose.  The absence of the Redskins name for two years will certainly make that pill easier to swallow than if they had just done this in a week.  I have to admit it makes a lot of sense to delay the new brand.  People will be more apt to compare it to Washington Football Team than Washington Redskins.  Whether intended or not, I think that perspective definitely works in their favor.

13 hours ago, SkinsFanPA said:

Champ Bailey looks so good in the new digs!  😍

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, SkinsFanPA said:

I love reading everyone's opinions in here, this topic really interests me.  Sports uniforms and logos are something I really dig, and now that a complete rebrand is happening to my team, even though I am bittersweet about it, I can't wait to see what happens, and I hope they knock it out of the park.

A few of my thoughts, I apologize for any uber-repetitiveness...

Would "Renegades" be a bad idea?  You could stick with the Lombardi-era uniforms, and it would check a bunch of boxes:  It would get rid of the previous name, the previous logo, yet it still would allow a connection to the past.

I personally had never considered "Warthogs", but I actually like it.  That, and Razorbacks.  Again, you could keep the Lombardi-era uni's (or move in a different direction), and the Hogs could come back as a nickname, and we know how we love that one.  Good suggestions, those of you who thought if it!  Plus, some graphic designer could come up with a really mean Warthog logo...

Redskins_LombardiEraUniforms1.jpg

That's pretty much my absolute favorite Uni for us.

15 minutes ago, Acworth skins fan said:

Tis a vile beast

Behind the rabbit?