Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

fyi--- dc lumber will be away for a week for making the above post in this forum :) 

are there really any more out there who don't get this yet? :) 

(rhetorical)

• Thanks 5
On 6/8/2021 at 2:37 PM, NickyJ said:

I like that logo, just don't like the yellow/gold shade, I'd prefer it to be a bit brighter like the 80s and 90s uniforms.   This reminds me of the throwback unis with the spear helmet, and I was never a fan of the colors with those, even tho they were close to burgundy and gold than the uniforms I prefer.  

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

fyi--- dc lumber will be away for a week for making the above post in this forum :) 

are there really any more out there who don't get this yet? :) 

(rhetorical)

tumblr_4e514e4df0851f4315b5671dc3185bbf_1c1e0667_500.gif

• Haha 7

So if WSH were to announce the finalists for a new name, I am pretty sure it would be the following:

1. Wolves (or any variation, Redwolves, Wolfpack, etc)

2. Hogs (or any variation, Red Hogs, Wild Hogs, etc)

3. Football Team (or any variation, Football Club, etc)

4. Redtails (because it was popular last summer)

5. Warriors 

6. *any wild card name from the survey*

I don’t know how many names they will present, but I am 75% sure that it will most likely be the top 3 here. Snyder can’t surprise us with a name like Abe Pollin did for Capitals. And the internet makes it impossible for the name finalists  to be so off the wall like the Bullets name change finalists were. 

A year to pick it and a year to implement it. Let’s go Washington, the time is nigh. 
Leaving it as is would be embarrassing imo. But so has a bunch of other stuff under Snyder. 
This fan base deserves a team with a name we can all get behind. Don’t let’s us down Mr. Wright!
I expect something in the next month or two but who the hell knows. 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I don't know man...depending on the day and my mood it's that one or D.C. Seals.  

DC Seals is just BEGGING for a Canadian team to join the league so that there can be seal clubbing jokes.

I don't particularly love naming a sports team after a military unit. It's not that I don't like the military, but it feels kind of crass to commercialize such a respected part of the military.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

DC Seals is just BEGGING for a Canadian team to join the league so that there can be seal clubbing jokes.

I don't particularly love naming a sports team after a military unit. It's not that I don't like the military, but it feels kind of crass to commercialize such a respected part of the military.

I don’t want anything that directly references the military.  I think that trivializes their sacrifice.  The NFL is a punishing game but it’s not War.  One of the reasons I have so strongly pushed for Warriors is that it is a way to honor all “fighters”…which also includes the military.  

• Like 6

We go 3-14 and Rangers and Marsocs will be bagging on the navy seals and we can't have that.

Besides, drawing any similarly between football games and actual military fighting is extremely dumb.

believing the name has already been selected. knowing the colors will remain. examining the parameters Wright has laid out....bridging the past and future etc, not too many names comfortably fit...

Redwolves - or wolves derivative. ticks the most boxes

Thunderbirds - however the no NA imagery makes this one tricky. it does make sense regionally though.

Razorbacks - for obvious reasons. yes arkansas has this locked so who knows. plus not really indicative of the DC metro.

Warriors - the easiest transition but also the easiest to complain and whine about.

knowing what we know and hoping they don't choose something generically related to the area what others are there?

WFT isn't staying. end of story. profit sharing alone won't allow it. however drawing out its usage buys time and makes the eventual reveal of the new brand more dramatic.

leaving out my personal opinion, of all names suggested so far, i don't see how it could be anything other than redwolves/wolves. 

• Like 3
On 6/12/2021 at 12:54 PM, Wyndorf25 said:

Am I the only one who really likes "Wolfpack"? The name has the alliteration and it connotes "team/family" the collective unit over the individual. Maybe it's just me.

I still far prefer "Redwolves," but I'd take "Wolfpack" over "Wolves." I want those two syllables, lol. 

• Like 3

It's way too late to enter into the process, but isn't it at least worth mentioning that Praying Mantis' are their own kind of badass?

Imagine our mascot seen chewing off the head of opposing QBs.

• Haha 4
On 6/11/2021 at 9:17 PM, DC Lumber Co. said:

I will also note that the branding efforts have ramped up this off-season. The amount of merch available is almost double compared to before.

Would they invest a ton of money plastering WFT est. 1932 all over Ashburn and produce all the related signage if they were just going to tear everything down, and trash any unsold WFT merchandise (or sell it at a loss) ?

Just food for thought.

Last year the team changed its name in June and July.  weeks before camp LOL

• Like 1
On 6/12/2021 at 6:09 PM, max21 said:

At least put the stripes back on the helmet for this year 

At this point might as well go the New Coke route.

Bring back Coke classic w/ the full rebrand. Artificially manufactured increase of acceptance.

22 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

A year to pick it and a year to implement it. Let’s go Washington, the time is nigh. 
Leaving it as is would be embarrassing imo. But so has a bunch of other stuff under Snyder. 
This fan base deserves a team with a name we can all get behind. Don’t let’s us down Mr. Wright!
I expect something in the next month or two but who the hell knows. 

You think they would release something during this season? That’d be cool but seems like it could be a distraction 

18 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I don’t want anything that directly references the military.  I think that trivializes their sacrifice.  The NFL is a punishing game but it’s not War.  One of the reasons I have so strongly pushed for Warriors is that it is a way to honor all “fighters”…which also includes the military.  

I still say that my suggestion of Sentries is perfect.  It honors all "fighters" generally, but specifically is about the guards of the tomb of the unknown soldier.  Or, it could be about Washington's army during the Revolution (tying in our city's name).  

• Like 1
On 6/11/2021 at 9:17 PM, DC Lumber Co. said:

I will also note that the branding efforts have ramped up this off-season. The amount of merch available is almost double compared to before.

Would they invest a ton of money plastering WFT est. 1932 all over Ashburn and produce all the related signage if they were just going to tear everything down, and trash any unsold WFT merchandise (or sell it at a loss) ?

Just food for thought.

Yes.  They want to get as much money out of the temporary name before settling on the new name.  That way fans have to buy stuff twice.  Double the profits.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Yes.  They want to get as much money out of the temporary name before settling on the new name.  That way fans have to buy stuff twice.  Double the profits.

Yeah AND they can keep Football Team for those who refuse the new name and bring nostalgia to the two years we were just Football Team. Double the profits!!

• Haha 1

How about Washington Wall-eyes... put a bit fish on the helmet and be done with it.  ;)

For some reason I'm ona  judgement riff.

Washington Reckoning
Washington Brimstone  (Imagine having an alternative color scheme that looks lava like)

Washington Wrath   (or Wraiths)  
Washington Warpath.   (so much you could do with that without having to be native american themed)

Edited by Veretax
  • Like 1

I like the idea of copperhead, just seems long. Arizona has the diamondbacks, which is just as many syllables. It could grow on me. Still better than WFT, DCFC, or any of the garbage Megaforce came up with.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I’m on the Redwolves band wagon (even Wolves or Wolfpack).

I admit I'm a little surprised that you didn't go all in with Sinks. ;) 

I've been on the Red Wolves bandwagon as well, though I think Washington Chaos also fits perfectly on so many levels. :) 

• Like 1