Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

17 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Look, I know there are some terrific suggestions for the rebrand — Washington Redtails and Redhawks are good ones

Clearly they're in touch with the process.

8 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Hard to believe that that they still haven't started uniform designs and logos if they want to break it out by draft time next year.

They haven't? 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

I agree. I think they already started the creation process weeks ago.

Weeks ago?! That's idiotic! This should have been done eons ago! What are they thinking?!

• Haha 1

Ah,  using a list of names from a survey to confirm WFT. Everybody who was a season ticket holder got that survey and they there were a couple of different sets of names. Demon Cats was on one, Admirals was on one, Wild Hogs too, oh and they also included Warriors and Redwolves. 

if there is one thing American football fans don’t want, it is to be like Europe. MLS can copy them but when it comes to American football, we do it our way.  And do it with way better marketing than with Football Team.

How many of us have typed the slogan they made for WFT? “No Name But Team”? Anyone make a NNBT hashtag? No? Of course we didn’t. Because there is no excitement in Football Team. There is honestly excitement in Washington. But even Washington itself gets downgraded with Football Team next to it. A city and an actual name are of equal importance to a franchise, especially in marketing. If they choose Wolves, will Wolves will be the ONLY thing they market? Of course not! They will show off merch with DC landmarks. We will hear the name Washington just as much as you hear Wolves. 

So far, Wright has confirmed RECENTLY that no name has been eliminated. Not Football Team and not even Wolves. But they will most likely share some news about their new name soon. 

Every team that changes its name always notifies the public of the finalists. It gives them a good reading of what name the people will side with. 

Look on the bright side. Even when Washington becomes the Wolves, they will always be a Football Team. A Football Team of Wolves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Weeks ago?! That's idiotic! This should have been done eons ago! What are they thinking?!

I mean, there's still around 10 months until next years draft.

When do you think they chose the name ?

Just now, Spearfeather said:

I mean, there's still around 10 months until next years draft.

When do you think they chose the name ?

Well, it's been clearly stated they've settled on WFT. So...only a matter of time

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well, it's been clearly stated they've settled on WFT. So...only a matter of time

Maybe you're being sarcastic 44, I'm not sure.  I thought you were still betting on ' Redwolves ". ( ? } or Hogs.

All I'm saying is whatever the name is, it was already decided at least a few weeks ago.

If you're saying that I've been guaranteeing " Washington Football Team "; I haven't.

I'm not saying this guarantees anything.

Just that " Washington Football Team " has always been in play.

Edited June 1 by Spearfeather

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Maybe you're being sarcastic 44, I'm not sure.  I thought you were still betting on ' Redwolves ". ( ? }

All I'm saying is whatever the name is, it was already decided at least a few weeks ago.

If you're saying that I've been guaranteeing " Washington Football Team "; I haven't.

Same. The only people that have been speaking definitively are those who say that WFT can't possibly be the name. Just thought I'd share some interesting notes, articles and quotes for discussion.

• Like 1

I will also note that the branding efforts have ramped up this off-season. The amount of merch available is almost double compared to before.

Would they invest a ton of money plastering WFT est. 1932 all over Ashburn and produce all the related signage if they were just going to tear everything down, and trash any unsold WFT merchandise (or sell it at a loss) ?

Just food for thought.

Yes they will. Whatever the loss they have to sell of their WFT crap, and whatever money spent rebranding everything again, will be made up for with the huge rush of consumers purchasing new name merch. That is a guarantee of ANY new name merch. Even a new logo with Football Team won’t make half as much as new name (and new logo) merch.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

One name stands out as a new moniker for the Washington Football Team

By
Robert McCartney, Washington Post
-First, I must politely disagree with my talented Sports colleague, columnist Barry Svrluga, who wants to stick with Washington Football Team.
-Football Team is different and dignified, but it just doesn’t work on many levels. It doesn’t fit in the song, and how do you refer to the players? Branding experts predict the team will drop WFT, partly because a new moniker would help create a memorable logo. “I don’t think they’ll keep it,” said Jimmy Lynn, who teaches sports marketing and related subjects at Georgetown University. “There are cool things with the branding and logo that you can’t do with Washington Football Team.”
-Whatever is picked, dissent is ensured. Wright, the team president, said, “There is no way to land a new brand without some dissatisfaction.”
  But this fan is convinced Red Wolves would fare far better than most.

Red Wolves name for Washington could help save the species, scientist says

By Scott Allen, Washington Post
-Ron Sutherland, A chief scientist at the nonprofit Wildlands Network in Durham, N.C., Sutherland is among those in favor of Red Wolves, which has been endorsed by a segment of the team’s fan base.

“One would hope the current Redskins fans would show some love toward the red wolf and doing more to help save the species, because you wouldn’t want your mascot to go extinct in the wild again,” Sutherland said. “I don’t really see any negatives. I think it makes sense to have an animal mascot, and I think having a red wolf would be a great choice.”

Washington Football Team: What’s in a Name? Apparently a Lot
by George Carmi, Full Press Coverage

-If you are keeping tabs, the most popular names that continue to rise are the Warriors, and some variation of Washington Football Team/Club or Redwolves/Wolves. If the fanbase truly had a voice, I’d argue it would be selected from one of those names.

Washington Red Wolves Should Not Be The New Name For Washington’s NFL Team (Actual support for Wolves)
By David Chappine, Wolfsports.com
-
if Red Wolves are the favorite, just go with the Washington Wolves. A secondary WW logo can work well, and it’s alliterative. Overall, Washington Red Wolves (which almost sounds like a minor-league team from another sport) doesn’t sound as strong as Washington Wolves. The superb Wolves name should not be taken down a notch by adding “Red” in front of it.

Edited by DCdangerous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it will probably come down to either Warriors or Red Wolves. I just want it to get done at this point and I know that I would eventually be OK with a lot of the suggestions.

There are a few names that I really don't like, but out of the ones apparently being considered, Redtails is one of the worst. I don't associate the name with pilots, for me it's the name of a bumblebee, and the jokes about red butts would getting boring real quick.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

"First City Football Club"? That's dumb. What are we moving to Florida? :ols:?

I saw this and had to go back to see if this was really a thing. Unbelievable that it's an actual suggestion. Of pretty much all the names i've seen bandied about, that has to be the most hurl-inducing. It sounds like some pathetic, elitist, ivy league "club" of chess nerds throwing a fantasy football draft party. **** that soft, useless ****. 

This is why this needs to be done soon. The names from fans are almost unilaterally HORRIBLE, proving my long-held theory that people on the whole grow DUMBER with each passing second. 

/redwolves

Edited by Dissident2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

I saw this and had to go back to see if this was really a thing. Unbelievable that it's an actual suggestion. Of pretty much all the names i've seen bandied about, that has to be the most hurl-inducing. It sounds like some pathetic, elitist, ivy league "club" of chess nerds throwing a fantasy football draft party. **** that soft, useless ****. 

This is why this needs to be done soon. The names from fans are almost unilaterally HORRIBLE, proving my long-held theory that people on the whole grow DUMBER with each passing second. 

We are 100% on the same page here.  Note the date and time in the log book.  😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 6/9/2021 at 1:42 PM, bentskin said:

While your at it. Maybe only one Burgundy color? The darker one. My personal preference is the darker Burgundy and true gold like you have used here. Great work. 

HTTR

1. Warriors - go with the 60's throwback unis with a Spartan style spear

2. Redwolves - 60's color scheme or current with nice logo. Like the one below.

3. Sentinals - go with the 60's throwback unis with a Spartan style spear

4. Werewolves ?

Am I the only one who really likes "Wolfpack"? The name has the alliteration and it connotes "team/family" the collective unit over the individual. Maybe it's just me.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

Am I the only one who really likes "Wolfpack"? The name has the alliteration and it connotes "team/family" the collective unit over the individual. Maybe it's just me.

I like it and I'm sure it'll be a part of their marketing packages. Like a season ticket family pack called the wolf pack. Bring your pack to the den, etc.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

Wolfpack is far and away not the worst name they could pick.  At least it denotes strength and family.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Wolfpack is far and away not the worst name they could pick.  At least it denotes strength and family.  

First City Football Club is far and away the worst. Isn't New York considered the First City? Chicago is the Second City. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

First City Football Club is far and away the worst. Isn't New York considered the First City? Chicago is the Second City. 

I don't know man...depending on the day and my mood it's that one or D.C. Seals.   

First City Football Club sounds like the name of a dive bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

First City Football Club sounds like the name of a dive bar.

It sounds like a semi-pro soccer team. The kind where there's beer on the sidelines.

• Like 1