Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

2 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

I guess because they would need a new brand.

The Titans don't.

or, just spitballing, it's the dumbest, laziest, most unimaginative idea ever?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you're going to call the team the Football Team, go all out. Don't just call it the Washington Football Team. Call it the City Football Team. Or even better, the Capital City National Football League Football Team.

Or we can call it the Washington Redwolves. I like the Redwolves.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

or, just spitballing, it's the dumbest, laziest, most unimaginative idea ever?

No. That award would go to the Redwolves design in the the tweet on the previous page.

• Haha 2
Just now, Spearfeather said:

No. That award would go to the Redwolves design in the the tweet on the previous page.

Yes it is.

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If you're going to call the team the Football Team, go all out. Don't just call it the Washington Football Team. Call it the City Football Team. Or even better, the Capital City National Football League Football Team.

Capital City National Football League Football Team That has Nothing Really To Do With The City.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Looks great, love the word art and colors. My only issue is the fangs, kinda looks like a vampire wolf.

A good point. With a little doctoring, I like this even better.

Washington-Redwolves-Logo-Final-Transpar.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That is very cool. That's the only "non-teeth" one that I've liked. Only issue is that "Redwolves" can't be in gold. If you have a color in your name, the font needs to be that color. Leave Washington gold, make "Redwolves" one of those scarlet/burgundy colors in the mane. That redwolf looks fantastic. Regal, but ready to kill. Someone kidnap Jason Wright "Christmas Vacation" style and deliver him to this thread. It ends TONIGHT!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yes it is.

Capital City National Football League Football Team That has Nothing Really To Do With The City.

And plays out of state. 

• Haha 3

I know there are a lot of WF

5 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I know there are a lot of WFT fans from the western part of VA…but does the new logo have to have a mullet?

• Haha 5
2 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

I know there are a lot of WF

I know there are a lot of WFT fans from the western part of VA…but does the new logo have to have a mullet?

Absolutely...

Mullet Over GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 5

While your at it. Maybe only one Burgundy color? The darker one. My personal preference is the darker Burgundy and true gold like you have used here. Great work. 

HTTR

1. Warriors - go with the 60's throwback unis with a Spartan style spear

2. Redwolves - 60's color scheme or current with nice logo. Like the one below.

3. Sentinals - go with the 60's throwback unis with a Spartan style spear

4. Werewolves ?

22 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I like that logo and echo Riggo#44 sentiments.  Might be able to work the Redskins/Gibbs style "R" into the mullet er...mane.

Although, the overall shape of the logo almost has the shape, look and feel of that scripty R, guessing that was the thought/goal.

Edited by RFK Lives
  • Thanks 1
On 6/8/2021 at 1:54 PM, NickyJ said:

Imma steal that avatar. 

Howl!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, slinky said:

So my old high school just announced today they finally picked a new name. We were once the Gar-Field Indians are now officially the Gar-Field Red Wolves.

Mine was council rock Indians and our competitors are the redskins and nobody wants to change.

I think it would be a  nice idea to reflect on how our other Washington sports teams got their names.
Nationals were always going to be called that but let's look back at Wizards and even Capitals

Wizards:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/02/why_abe_pollin_went_from_bulle.html

(for those who don't have a subscription)
Owner wanted to change the name Bullets months before Israeli PM Yitzak Rabin was assassinated. Although that did make it easier to sell a name change.
The ensuing contest was indeed run through Boston Market, and the restaurant reportedly received 500,000 name suggestions involving around 3,000 separate names. Some of them were classic.

They "ranged from what you'd expect, like the Washington Generals or Washington Stars or Washington Monuments, to some strange ones," team spokesman Matt Williams said at the time. "Antelopes, Astronauts, Geckos--that's a lizard, I believe--and the Funkadelics. You wouldn't believe it."

Other choices included Accelerators, Zulus, Wolverines, Litigators, River Dawgs, Power Cats, Glory, Fury, Cobras and Monuments.

The finalists--chosen by a panel that included Pollin, Susan O'Malley, George Michael, Juwan Howard and others--were Sea Dogs, Express, Stallions, Dragons and Wizards. Fans had three weeks to vote among the five finalists via a 1-900 line; the $1 cost was given to anti-violence efforts. And the choices were roundly skewered.

O'Malley said that copyright restrictions had kept the franchise from considering many more traditional sounding D.C. nicknames. Fans and writers unleash a torrent of other possibilities. The Post ran a poll with the team's five choices, "None of the Above" and "Bullets;" the latter two combined for 85 percent of the votes. (Sea Dogs led of the other choices with about 5 percent.) Chris Webber suggested River Dogs; "The Potomac River is right here," he explained, making the choice more logical than Sea Dogs. And yet Abe Pollin chose Wizards.

Capitals:
https://novacapsfans.com/2020/11/30/caps-101-whats-in-a-name-birth-of-the-washington-capitals-and-the-candidate-names-that-didnt-make-the-cut/

Top 3 choices for mail in submissions were Comets, Pandas, and a tie between Eagles and Metros. They promised the one with the most votes would be the winner. But young Abe Pollin chose Capitals. When asked about his decision, Abe Pollin said he had been keeping tabs on the names that had been doing the best in the contest, and noting which he liked best himself. Even though the Washington Capitals was not the most popular choice among fans, he had liked it enough to earmark it on his own list. The night before the announcement, he and his wife Irene had been going through the results and, at 11:30 p.m., they’d decided that the Comets sounded too much like the cleaning brand, and neither liked the Pandas. The Philadelphia Eagles were at a low point, making the Pollins wary of letting their hockey team share the name, while choosing the Metros would be too close to the New York Mets, short for the Metropolitans. Moreover, the Pollins both thought the Capitals had a good, solid ring to it.

Edited by DCdangerous
  • Like 1

Mike Callow of ESPN 630DC shared it first:

Just took a survey supplied from @WashingtonNFL pertaining to the name. Not sure if being a STH or media or what but the names I was asked to weigh in on were the following:

Aces

First City Football Club (FCFC)

Archers

Beacons

Belters

Redtails

Razorbacks

Defenders

Football Team

Not a Warrior or Wolves (Red or otherwise) in sight.

Actually like the First City Football Club one as well.

Check out some of the responses to see what fans said:

Curious: if you're from the DC Metro area (DMV) do you feel that Wolves or Redwolves represents our city?

I feel like most of the people that like it are from out of the area .

— George Carmi (@Gcarmi21) April 16, 2021

Edited by DC Lumber Co.

Yet another opinion piece in support of keeping WFT:

Source: USA Today

I’ve spent the first month and a half of the season writing it, seeing it written out and looking at the uniforms. And you know what? I like it!

First of all, Washington Football Team sounds like a European soccer franchise (not as good as my colleague, Nate Scott, calling for “Washington FC”), and we need more of those names in American sports. No more Eagles or Tigers or Panthers or whatever. Real Dallas! FC Los Angeles! And Washington Football Team!

It’s unlike any other nickname in the NFL, NHL, MLB or NBA, and that’s a good thing.

Every time I write the name, it’s also a reminder that the previous, very offensive nickname has been vanquished, a victory in a long-fought battle over owner Dan Snyder, who famously stated, “We will never change the name of the team. … NEVER — you can use caps.”

Look, I know there are some terrific suggestions for the rebrand — Washington Redtails and Redhawks are good ones, especially with the history attached to the former — and I know that taking the time to come up with something good will hopefully make sure the franchise selects a winner.

But if they decide that WFT is here to stay, especially if the sad-sack franchise doesn’t want to risk being a laughingstock in case the new name is terrible? I’d approve.

Edited by DC Lumber Co.
27 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Mike Callow of ESPN 630DC shared it first:

Just took a survey supplied from @WashingtonNFL pertaining to the name. Not sure if being a STH or media or what but the names I was asked to weigh in on were the following:

Aces

First City Football Club (FCFC)

Archers

Beacons

Belters

Redtails

Razorbacks

Defenders

Football Team

Not a Warrior or Wolves (Red or otherwise) in sight.

Actually like the First City Football Club one as well.

I think they have known for at least a few weeks now what the name is going to be. They already know whether we are going to be some variation of " Washington Football  Team  " , " Americans " etc. or some glorified dog. Wright and Snyder said "soon ", and " we've gotten a lot of direction ".

Hard to believe that that they still haven't started uniform designs and logos if they want to break it out by draft time next year.