Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DCdangerous said:

"Legacy" fans have actually said that they don't want the fight song altered at all, even if it was a Red-name.  And don't bother saying they could still use the Red logo for WFT, because they might as well call the team the Red-name.

this makes zero sense. No idea what you're trying to say here. 

You are REALLY reaching it with this one. There is no pride with that name in a Dallas rivalry. If you can't even think of HOW to market "America's Team vs THE Football Team" what makes you think WSH can? Besides nobody shows pride when they see Cowboys vs Football Team. Wolves can maintain that rivalry much better than Football Team because IRL Cowboys have to defend their cattle against wolves. Cowboys vs Wolves makes sense and nobody gets offended. Except maybe you. Heck, since Wolves are known to use the term alpha wolf, WSH can ALSO market "America's Team vs Alpha Team". That carries the same energy as your suggested phrase but with more flair.

false. I just told you how you could market it. We are THE Football team. Just like THE Ohio state university. The premier football team in the national football league. THE BEST football team. We are staking our claim as such. just like WFT fans hate that cowboys fans act like they can say they are America's team when there are 31 other teams in the league and they aren't even in the nations capital.  That's exactly. How. You. Market. It.

OK lets see. What are the teams that are older than us? Cardinals. Bears, Packers, Giants, and Lions. Football Team? You cannot tell me with a straight face that Football Team fits with this group of teams. If you had said Footballers, that would have been OK because it actually works alongside Packers and Giants. But no. Football Team not only doesn't fit, it also sounds like the name for the FIRST football team. Which would be a lie. And Red Hogs? That doesn't sound like an old team at all. But like I said, any other name (that is NOT WFT/WFC) I will get used to.

Washington fits with all those names. Just Washington. The football team from nations capital. What sounds more "1932" than not having a pet mascot name at all? . And for the record, add footballers to my list of names I'd be okay with. Especially if adopted as our unofficial secondary mascot. I like the sound of that "The Footballers from Washington". That's the best idea you've had compared to your graphic design 101 thesis projects.

Now lets see how Wolves fits. Cardinals, Bears, Packers, Giants, Lions, and Wolves. Fits perfectly. Classy. And our uniforms could be as simple as our current ones with a new W on the helmet. Just like GB, NYG, and CHI.

or just keep the W on the helmet without a mascot. Like I've suggested. What's a Giant?  What's a packer? Why do we need a mascot? the G of green bay and the C of chicago represents the first part of their team name, the most important part. It doesn't stand for packer or bear. The bears have a secondary logo of a bear which we could do similar with a secondary Hog logo. 

I have no idea what makes you think a simple name like Wolves sounds like an expansion team when Red Hogs is the one that sounds like an expansion team. No matter what you claim, a new name will make us LOOK like an expansion team. Football Team is a placeholder. Not a connection to our history. So really this fourth tradition is your PERSONAL tradition. Not the team's official tradition. It's more of the team's attempt than tradition. 

RedHogs ties more to our tradition and history than wolves does. Period. Not to mention it's my distant 3rd backup to my preferred names... Which is keeping WFT or Club. Because we don't need a gimmicky new name to be relevant. Professionals in branding have already given statements to news outlets that Washington Football Team may be our best option given the unique situation. We aren't building a new brand, we already ARE one. We are Washington. 

But hey, Jason Wright and Dan Snyder whatever names have been suggested have not been ruled out.

Correction: they didn't say they haven't been ruled out. The owner, now majority owner, has said they would definitely consider keeping WFT if it caught on with fans, and personally feels (the man with the most power here) that it is a retro, classy feel. 

"Legacy" fans have actually said that they don't want the fight song altered at all, even if it was a Red-name.  And don't bother saying they could still use the Red logo for WFT, because they might as well call the team the Red-name.

this makes zero sense. No idea what you're trying to say here. Show me where people said they wouldn't be okay with ball club, RedHogs, or similar being used in place of Redskins in the fight song. I'm pretty sure legacy fans would rather a slight alteration than the fight song dying all-together... And being replaced with... A howl at the moon.

You are REALLY reaching it with this one. There is no pride with that name in a Dallas rivalry. If you can't even think of HOW to market "America's Team vs THE Football Team" what makes you think WSH can? Besides nobody shows pride when they see Cowboys vs Football Team. Wolves can maintain that rivalry much better than Football Team because IRL Cowboys have to defend their cattle against wolves. Cowboys vs Wolves makes sense and nobody gets offended. Except maybe you. Heck, since Wolves are known to use the term alpha wolf, WSH can ALSO market "America's Team vs Alpha Team". That carries the same energy as your suggested phrase but with more flair.

false. I just told you how you could market it. We are THE Football team. Just like THE Ohio state university. OSU Fans think they are the best school in the nation. We are the premier football team in the national football league. THE BEST football team. We are staking our claim as such. just like WFT fans hate that cowboys fans act like they can say they are America's team when there are 31 other teams in the league and they aren't even in the nations capital.  That's exactly. How. You. Market. It.

OK lets see. What are the teams that are older than us? Cardinals. Bears, Packers, Giants, and Lions. Football Team? You cannot tell me with a straight face that Football Team fits with this group of teams. If you had said Footballers, that would have been OK because it actually works alongside Packers and Giants. But no. Football Team not only doesn't fit, it also sounds like the name for the FIRST football team. Which would be a lie. And Red Hogs? That doesn't sound like an old team at all. But like I said, any other name (that is NOT WFT/WFC) I will get used to.

Washington fits with all those names. Just Washington. The football team from the nations capital. What sounds more "1932" than not having a pet mascot name at all? And for the record, add footballers to my list of names I'd be okay with. Especially if adopted as our unofficial secondary name referenced by tv broadcasts. I like the sound of that: "The Footballers from Washington". That's the best idea you've had compared to your graphic design 101 thesis projects.

Now lets see how Wolves fits. Cardinals, Bears, Packers, Giants, Lions, and Wolves. Fits perfectly. Classy. And our uniforms could be as simple as our current ones with a new W on the helmet. Just like GB, NYG, and CHI.

OR... just keep the W on the helmet without a mascot. Like I've suggested. What's a Giant?  What's a packer? Why do we need a mascot? the G of green bay and the C of chicago represents the first part of their team name, the most important part. It doesn't stand for packer or bear. The bears have a secondary logo of a bear which we could do similar with a secondary Hog logo. 

I have no idea what makes you think a simple name like Wolves sounds like an expansion team when Red Hogs is the one that sounds like an expansion team. No matter what you claim, a new name will make us LOOK like an expansion team. Football Team is a placeholder. Not a connection to our history. So really this fourth tradition is your PERSONAL tradition. Not the team's official tradition. It's more of the team's attempt than tradition. 

RedHogs ties more to our tradition and history than wolves does. Period. Not to mention it's my distant 3rd backup to my preferred names... Which is keeping WFT or Club. Because we don't need a gimmicky new name to be relevant. Professionals in branding have already given statements to news outlets that Washington Football Team may be our best option given the unique situation. We aren't building a new brand, we already ARE one. We are Washington. 

But hey, Jason Wright and Dan Snyder whatever names have been suggested have not been ruled out.

Correction: they didn't say they haven't been ruled out. The owner, now majority owner, has said they would definitely consider keeping WFT if it caught on with fans, and personally feels (the man with the most power here) that it is a retro, classy feel. 

"Some of the things that are emerging from that are the Washington Football Team has something that ties deeply to our history. It feels like that isn't jettisoning all the things we have been in the past, whereas something that's completely new might feel that way. It's important for a substantial part of our fan base to feel that this is a continuation of something versus a complete reset, something brand new." -Jason Wright.  The man behind this whole name change process.

Edited by DC Lumber Co.
  • Sad 1
Posted (edited)

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Football Team name has gone from being a generic placeholder to one that will be strongly considered as a permanent one. As the organization inches along in its rebranding, team president Jason Wright said fans have warmed to the name.

The fact that some fans have warmed to WFT highlights what Wright said they want most in a name: a strong connection to the past.

Nothing says a strong connection to the past like wolves though right?

Source? ESPN. Not TMZ sports.

@DCdangerous

If you'd rather the thread title be "which DCdangerous logo-set do you like the best?" I'm sure we can probably ask a moderator.  

Edited by DC Lumber Co.
  • Sad 1

The argument for Washington is interesting from a European perspective. We don't call our football/soccer teams by their nicknames as a rule. Chelsea, Wimbledon, Barcelona, Lille, Valencia, Juventus (which is Turin). I'm quite happy referring to our team as Washington as that is what we are used to over here. The clincher I guess would be Washington what? I quite like the idea of Footballers, but Football Club is nice (and very European). I'm not overly keen on Football Team I will be honest though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

The argument for Washington is interesting from a European perspective. We don't call our football/soccer teams by their nicknames as a rule. Chelsea, Wimbledon, Barcelona, Lille, Valencia, Juventus (which is Turin). I'm quite happy referring to our team as Washington as that is what we are used to over here. The clincher I guess would be Washington what? I quite like the idea of Footballers, but Football Club is nice (and very European). I'm not overly keen on Football Team I will be honest though.

I agree. Footballers is the best name I've seen in this thread outside of keeping WFT/Football Club.

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Yak Shaver said:

The USPTO website has a new registered trademark for Washington Redwolves Foundation for charitable fundraising to support red wolf recovery programs. The mark consists of the stylized gold wording "WASHINGTON REDWOLVES FOUNDATION" and the gray head of a red wolf all within a burgundy rectangle.

Well, I have no idea who you are or if this is valid, but ill call it a win. 

Go Redwolves! Howl!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Yak Shaver said:

The USPTO website has a new registered trademark for Washington Redwolves Foundation for charitable fundraising to support red wolf recovery programs. The mark consists of the stylized gold wording "WASHINGTON REDWOLVES FOUNDATION" and the gray head of a red wolf all within a burgundy rectangle.

Link for this? 

The USPTO website has a new registered trademark on the principal register for "Washington Redwolves Professional Gridiron Football" for providing a website featuring information relating to the sport of football.

Washington Redwolves Foundation logo registration certificate 06 08 2021.jpg

WRPGF website registration certificate 06 08 2021.jpg

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Source? ESPN. Not TMZ sports.

Is there a difference any more?

2 hours ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I agree. Footballers is the best name I've seen in this thread outside of keeping WFT/Football Club.

I'm a huge fan of Rubies. It's so unique and carries on our tradition and really looks out for out Legacy fans. Wright and Snyder agree. 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm a huge fan of Rubies. It's so unique and carries on our tradition and really looks out for out Legacy fans. Wright and Snyder agree. 

Rubies??! Where on earth did that come from?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Yak Shaver said:

The USPTO website has a new registered trademark on the principal register for "Washington Redwolves Professional Gridiron Football" for providing a website featuring information relating to the sport of football.

Interesting.

Not showing up on the trademark library under Pro Football Inc. ( WFT ) which says it was updated June 8.

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Sad 1
8 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Rubies??! Where on earth did that come from?

It was on the survey they sent out and they didn't discount it so it clearly is the frontrunner. To be clear, it's as boring and stupid as WFT. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Yak Shaver said:

6 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Not showing up on the trademark library, which says it was updated June 8

Not big news. That is just a trademark from a guy who is squatting on names

He does not just trademark names, he trademarks foundations, apparel rights, merch rights, websites and more.

Between Wash Redwolves, W. wolves, W. Warriors, W. Redtails he has applied for around 30 associated trademarks. He does not always get everything he applies for, but he applies for a lot

If the team wants to go with any of those routes, they will probably need to get a few things from him since you can't just have naming rights, you need everything around it as well.

The guy almost represents a "one stop shop" for several names but as of right now, him applying/getting some of these names is not super significant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

@DC Lumber Co.

Every response you give just makes me laugh. 🤣

We are CLEARLY not the premiere team in the NFL. You cannot market Football Team ANY further than "we are THE team". Ohio State can call themselves THE because they keep winning National Championships. We haven't won a Championship in 20 years. We cannot claim to be the best team when lately we haven't been.

You cannot rely on marketing to maintain a rivalry. When we had the Redskins name, our rivalry didn't just make sense football-wise, but also semantic-wise, Cowboys and Indians (Redskins) had real life battles with each other. And now you throw away those semantics for hope that marketing can pull this rivalry through? No. There will always be a baseline appreciation of Dallas vs Washington, but Football Team will not take us any higher than that baseline. Cowboys vs Wolves raises above that baseline appreciation without marketing needed to hold it up.

Football Team is a BASIC connection. Not a STRONG connection. It can't attract fans without marketing. Sure we need a strong connection to our past like Wright said. But when you take away Native American related things, what name options do we really have that are LITERALLY a connection to our past? Any name that starts with Red (but as you said they might avoid controversy by not choosing a Red-name), and Football Team, a name that is equivalent to the picture that came with the frame you bought at the store. Everybody gets one but you look ridiculous by displaying it at home instead of your own "personal picture". That just makes us look desperate to rationalize the closest thing to the old name that isn't NA imagery nor have Red in it. 

Wright and Snyder will not be that desperate. They will extend their realm of what our name can be. They are contempt to use a name that can be a WINK to the past but not ignore it completely. Dallas rivalry and colors are the two biggest connections to the past that have to be met. The other two, not so much. They will gladly show off how Wolves connects with the old name, how it preserve the rivalry with Dallas and how it maintains an old fashioned feel along with Bears Cardinals Lions Packers and Giants.  We are not just Washington. Nats are Washington too. Caps are Washington too. United are Washington too. We are more than just Washington. In fact you can say Washington is our past. Wolves is our future.

Oh and here is one big factor you forgot about when choosing the name: The NFL itself. Even if Snyder wants to use Football Team, the other NFL owners are not going to allow a name like Football Team to be used for Washington when the other 31 teams also can claim to be a Football Team as well.  If their new logo is a red Hogs, they will force them to be the Red Hogs.

I am open to changing this thread to "DC Lumber Co's Football Team Permanency Propaganda" if you want. Then this will truly be your safe space.

Edited by DCdangerous
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, max21 said:

Still a great Redwolves logo imo 

That logo clearly had a Native American vibe. I like it, especially the subtle white wolf, but I doubt that we are going to choose a logo that could be perceived as cultural appropriation or with Native American imagery. 

Also, our current uniforms are great. The helmet with no logo...classy AF and is reminiscent of the Alabama u inform. I don’t want it to change substantively. Still rooting for WFT. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, max21 said:

Link for this? 

Search trademark database | USPTO and under "Search our Trademark database (TESS)", click "basic word mark search" and search for serial number  90330268 with the field set to "serial or registration number"  If I provide a link directly to the registration, you would probably get a message that the session expired. 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, DCdangerous said:

the other NFL owners are not going to allow a name like Football Team to be used for Washington when the other 31 teams also can claim to be a Football Team as well. 

I don't think the NFL is worried about the Tennessee Titans applying for " Tennessee Football Team ".

Why would the Titans do that, and why would anyone buy that ?

• Like 1
Just now, Spearfeather said:

I don't think the NFL is worried about the Tennessee Titans applying for " Tennessee Football Team ".

Why would the Titans do that, and why would anyone buy that ?

Why would ANYONE do that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, FrFan said:

Arkansas state U already using it even though red and wolves aren't attached

https://imgur.com/gallery/c3YSERJ

Redwolves-Helmet-FINAL-Home-and-Away2_pn

Plenty here : https://www.davidcoronadesigns.com/work/washington-football-team-rebrand

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFEpbzL4EoexR_1RBZysE

blank logo.png
RW_Helmets copy.jpg

I really like the look of this logo.  Best one I seen so far.  Although I think it's sizing is a little too big on the helmet.  If it was a little smaller I think it would be perfect.  Although I wouldn't be opposed to this as our logo while keeping the numbers on the helmet either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

blank logo.png
RW_Helmets copy.jpg

I really like the look of this logo.  Best one I seen so far.  Although I think it's sizing is a little too big on the helmet.  If it was a little smaller I think it would be perfect.  Although I wouldn't be opposed to this as our logo while keeping the numbers on the helmet either.

I dig it, but I need some teeth (something you won't hear me saying very often). Colors are beautiful, though. 

Edited by Dissident2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I dig it, but I need some teeth (something you won't hear me saying very often). Colors are beautiful, though. 

Yep, it looks like a **** cat, not a wolf. Much too sweet and friendly.

Posted (edited)

How about the WASHINGTON FOOTBALL RED CICADAS?

Because we're fierce... and are EPIC every 17 years (and otherwise non-existent)

https://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/styles/optimized/public/2021-03/HGIC_insects_periodicalcicada_16x9.jpg?itok=lcYYGQaT

Edited by petey hodge
  • Haha 1