Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

10 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I definitely am not a fan of Red Wolves. Maybe if we were a kiddie soccer league team it might work. Sorry, it's just corny.

You and I agree on something.  

Note the date and the time in the log book.  😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, #httr1979 said:

Wolves is so generic. It’s crazy to not call them Redwolves when that is exactly what they are! It’s like not calling a red traffic light what it is.

I don't think you meant it the way it is written but you know there are other types of wolves than Redwolves? 

5 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I don't think you meant it the way it is written but you know there are other types of wolves than Redwolves? 

Of course. I am questioning why some fans are against the name because Red is in the name. It’s a breed of wolf which is completely different than a Native American.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Do you always get offended and clutch your pearls when someone outs you for who you are?

Only the really insecure need to brag about how smart they are...or think they are.

I didn't brag about anything. I explained a path I learned something and offered you the information. If you feel insurance about that, I apologize. Wasn't my intent.

18 minutes ago, #httr1979 said:

Of course. I am questioning why some fans are against the name because Red is in the name. It’s a breed of wolf which is completely different than a Native American.

I love Wolves. 

I like Redwolves because it's the indigenous breed of wolf and because our colors aren't changing. 

If I just hear Wolf, I think of greys.

• Like 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I didn't brag about anything. I explained a path I learned something and offered you the information. If you feel insurance about that, I apologize. Wasn't my intent.

Several posters have asked why you feel the need to continue--and top stop going off topic, scream racism at everything. But you wag your finger from your moral high ground--moralizing and lecturing people, telling the to "go read a book." That wasn't your intent? Bull****. Your disingenuous back-pedaling is quite telling though.

Here's an idea: stick to the topic of the thread. Take your soap box virtue signaling to the 100s of echo chambers in the Tailgate.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
34 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

You and I agree on something.  

Note the date and the time in the log book.  😆

It's interesting how different people feel about different names. For example (and not picking on Mr. Sisko), Redwolves sounds like a kiddie soccer team but Werewolves is interesting? I feel the exact opposite. People are going to complain about the name--no matter what's chosen. With the exception of WFT or WFC or the like, I think we'll all come around to it--especially if they market it right. I, for one, am glad Wright is in charge of this process. He is very smart and seems to have a good process in place.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Several posters have asked why you feel the need to continue--and top stop going off topic, scream racism at everything. But you wag your finger from your moral high ground--moralizing and lecturing people, telling the to "go read a book." That wasn't your intent? Bull****. Your disingenuous back-pedaling is quite telling though.

Here's an idea: stick to the topic of the thread. Take your soap box virtue signaling to the 100s of echo chambers in the Tailgate.

Are you saying that the name is not being changed due to race issues, so it has no bearing? 

My telling you to read a book, was because you don't understand American history in relation to native Americans. You said something incorrect, I corrected you and gave you a source to learn more about it.

I'm not back peddling anything, either. Your dramatic tone of your posts makes having an adult conversation about a sensitive topic difficult though.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

My telling you to read a book, was because you don't understand American history in relation to native Americans. You said something incorrect, I corrected you and gave you a source to learn more about it.

What did I say that was incorrect?

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Your dramatic tone of your posts makes having an adult conversation about a sensitive topic difficult though.

Except you don't want to have a conversation, you want to lecture and be agreed with.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Are you saying that the name is not being changed due to race issues

I never actually said that. But since you brought it up, the real impetus of the name change was Fred Smith taking advantage of the cultural situation and trying to force Snyder out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
Posted (edited)

Hooo Doggy

We might just have ourselves a week 2 TNF home game against the G-Men this season. If that turns out to be true, that might just be the day we put this whole thing to bed. Perfect venue, Nat'l TV, excellent timing.

The schedule makers might just be doing us a major solid w/ this one, especially if we win in week 1. As long as everything progresses smoothly w/ the virus we are almost guaranteed to have strong fan turnout.

I'll be circling the game on the calendar twice. Once for a div foe, and once for the beginning of the end of the beginning... Yeah, I think that tracks (Wolf Pun)

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

What did I say that was incorrect?

Except you don't want to have a conversation, you want to lecture and be agreed with.

I never actually said that. But since you brought it up, the real impetus of the name change was Fred Smith taking advantage of the cultural situation and trying to force Snyder out.

That 95% of the over 5 million Native Americans who died while North America was colonized was due to germs on blankets and it wasn't a genocide.

I'm not lecturing and you don't want to have a conversation and instead just throw insults and make ridiculous comments like we can't use colors to describe things anymore and complain that people are too sensitive because racial slurs are now a bad thing.

And the name change has been a long time coming, even if the catalyst was financial. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That 95% of the over 5 million Native Americans who died while North America was colonized was due to germs on blankets and it wasn't a genocide.

I never actually said that.

I'm not lecturing and you don't want to have a conversation and instead just throw insults and make ridiculous comments like we can't use colors to describe things anymore and complain that people are too sensitive because racial slurs are now a bad thing.

Never actually said that either. I actually said we SHOULD include red in our name and that people complaining about colors are ridiculous. I mean you're quite proud of how much you supposedly read, maybe work on comprehension?

And the name change has been a long time coming, even if the catalyst was financial. 

So it's not about race, yet you keep going on and on about it?

I actually scrolled back. No less than 5 posters called you out and either being full of **** and/or this not being the forum to go on you historical rants--yet you continued on your little ego-feeding diatribe, telling anyone who said anything to you to "read a book" (at least 3 times--in fact you literally told me to "go read a ****ing book"), literally bragging about how much you read.

To be clear: No one gives a **** about your soapbox. The name is gone. This is about the next name. Please, discuss THAT. 

Edited by Riggo#44

The last few pages of this thread seems to have gotten off topic...not that I have anything interesting to add, other than I like the Washington Burgundy & Gold.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I never actually said that.

Never actually said that either. I actually said we SHOULD include red in our name and that people complaining about colors are ridiculous. I mean you're quite proud of how much you supposedly read, maybe work on comprehension?

So it's not about race, yet you keep going on and on about it?

I actually scrolled back. No less than 5 posters called you out and either being full of **** and/or this not being the forum to go on you historical rants--yet you continued on your little ego-feeding diatribe, telling anyone who said anything to you to "read a book" (at least 3 times--in fact you literally told me to "go read a ****ing book"), literally bragging about how much you read.

To be clear: No one gives a **** about your soapbox. The name is gone. This is about the next name. Please, discuss THAT. 

Ok champ. Great talk. Howl Redwolves! 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Ok champ. Great talk. Howl Redwolves! 

Yeah, I didn't think you'd be able to respond to anything in that post. Take your L and have a seat.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, DJD2 said:

The last few pages of this thread seems to have gotten off topic...not that I have anything interesting to add, other than I like the Washington Burgundy & Gold.

Apparently we couldn’t do that because it might trigger certain people. Might be considered a micro-aggression. Perhaps we can rename Fed Ex Field to Safe Space.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, #httr1979 said:

Apparently we couldn’t do that because it might trigger certain people. Might be considered a micro-aggression. Perhaps we can rename Fed Ex Field to Safe Space.

I see some of you coming after KoolBlue while letting this poster continue on with this very clear anti-liberal tripe in almost every post they've made. I came here because I've lurked for years and thought the mods kept stuff like this in check better than what you see on twitter. I was wrong. Of course I'm not naive enough to think there isn't politics at play with the name, but most of us know the difference between this repeated quote above, and a healthy discussion over the name. This isn't the thread for KoolBlue to go deep into race, but it also isn't a thread for people to constantly talk about snowflakes, safe spaces, and every other word to try and trigger the left while they make their post about a brand.

This is about the changing of a brand, not a chance for you all to take a swipe at whatever side you aren't on. You know what though? Carry on and let the conversation devolve, some posters that actually want to talk about the brand will find somewhere else on this vast internet to discuss it.

14 hours ago, DJD2 said:

This is accurate.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, DCF said:

This isn't the thread for KoolBlue to go deep into race, but it also isn't a thread for people to constantly talk about snowflakes, safe spaces, and every other word to try and trigger the left while they make their post about a brand.

If you are so inclined, go back over the last 20 pages or so (not just the past couple), and you will see the posts and by whom that have provided the impetus for the conversation devolving. 

Very hard to have a good faith discussion when certain elements are brought into the conversation, and opinion is presented as ironclad truth.  

With that said, I agree the focus should be on the new brand.  The future.  The problem is several of us have different ideas of what we can and can't do based on the reasons the name had to change in the first place.  

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, DCdangerous said:

Whatever Snyder would have to pay for Redwolves, would be ten times worse for Warriors. Not good resting hope for a name just on money. Too many moving parts. Unless the Washington Warriors TM is already registered (not applied, or suspended, registered) and can be assigned, things wouldn't exactly get "buttoned up" this year like Wright said.

Thanks for explaining further.  You clearly know more about the Trademark process than I do.  With that said, do they have to have the trademark totally secured before they announce the change?  Can't things be working in the background to get that accomplished?  What I'm getting at, is if the plan is to announce a name in 2022, MUST they have their trademark locked down and secured prior to that happening?  Is the only way to do that quickly enough for 2022 to register a name that nobody has tried to register before?  

Edited by Painkiller

There's a part of me that would just like to lean into what Washington's really about...

The Washington Revenuers

The Washington Audit

DC Gridlock

DC Red Obstructionists

• Haha 2
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DCF said:

I see some of you coming after KoolBlue while letting this poster continue on with this very clear anti-liberal tripe in almost every post they've made

There is a massive difference between a one off post and taking on several different posters in an off-topic harangue after repeatedly asked to stop. However, you are right--that sort of crap doesn't belong either

Edited by Riggo#44
Posted (edited)

Bloody hell.......

Who knew the color red could unearth so many deep held angsts?

For the record, I’m pro-wolf.  Red, grey, gray, brown, paisley and polkadot. forgot werewolves, my bad.

I know it shouldn’t surprise me but that some of you have planted lines in the sand over a name and/or an adjective is.....something.  Admittedly though, I’m a pretty simple fella.  Lacking in depth of though bc mostly ultimately I’m pro-DC sports, whatever the name or no name.

hell, go Washington color pallet neutral runny turds.  Super Bowl or bust 

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, Painkiller said:

With that said, do they have to have the trademark totally secured before they announce the change?  Can't things be working in the background to get that accomplished?  What I'm getting at, is if the plan is to announce a name in 2022, MUST they have their trademark locked down and secured prior to that happening?  Is the only way to do that quickly enough for 2022 to register a name that nobody has tried to register before?

I believe Jason Wright said this. Part of it is securing the TM before announcing the name to prevent pirated crap from cropping up prior. I'm fairly certain sure the NFL mandates this as a general rule.

5 hours ago, DCF said:

I see some of you coming after KoolBlue while letting this poster continue on with this very clear anti-liberal tripe in almost every post they've made. I came here because I've lurked for years and thought the mods kept stuff like this in check better than what you see on twitter. I was wrong. Of course I'm not naive enough to think there isn't politics at play with the name, but most of us know the difference between this repeated quote above, and a healthy discussion over the name. This isn't the thread for KoolBlue to go deep into race, but it also isn't a thread for people to constantly talk about snowflakes, safe spaces, and every other word to try and trigger the left while they make their post about a brand.

This is about the changing of a brand, not a chance for you all to take a swipe at whatever side you aren't on. You know what though? Carry on and let the conversation devolve, some posters that actually want to talk about the brand will find somewhere else on this vast internet to discuss it.

This is accurate.

Interesting observation. Numerous posts about why we can’t be the Redwolves because the color might trigger some people and you’re focusing on me. Doesn’t that show bias in your thinking that you’re supposedly accusing me of?

• Sad 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Painkiller said:

Thanks for explaining further.  You clearly know more about the Trademark process than I do.  With that said, do they have to have the trademark totally secured before they announce the change?  Can't things be working in the background to get that accomplished?  What I'm getting at, is if the plan is to announce a name in 2022, MUST they have their trademark locked down and secured prior to that happening?  Is the only way to do that quickly enough for 2022 to register a name that nobody has tried to register before?  

They don't HAVE to have the TM secured before the announcement. I assume they are working with the legal team right now to find out what is legally possible. But if we trust Wright when he says they want the name "buttoned up", then they will.

There are a couple of ways to register a name quickly enough before 2022.
1) Applying for a name so distinctive that nobody else can claim confusion while it is being reviewed and published.
2) Get an assignment (purchase) of a TM already registered or to get a concurrent use agreement with the owner of the TM they want.

Now if they went with #1, it doesn't mean they have to have the TM locked down and secured (fully registered) before the announcement. They applied for WFT TM in July 2020, a couple of days before they announced (Which franchises do a lot to avoid any media leaks. Heck the Seattle Kraken TM was applied a couple days before the name was announced).

But keep in mind the TM registration process is very slow. The process goes like this:

1) Apply for a TM in one or more classes. It is pubic record so EVERYONE can see when you apply for something
2) A TM examining attorney is assigned to review that TM
3) If the reviewer approves the TM, the TM goes up for publication for 30 days to allow anyone to oppose it
     3a) If someone opposes the TM, it can be a year before the applicant can defend the TM in a TM case, and that case could last a while
4) If no one opposes the TM, the TM is fully registered

If the process runs smoothly, and no one opposes, the whole process right now takes between 9-12 months.
The problem is the WFT TM was applied ten months ago and the USPTO has not even assigned an examining attorney yet. So they have been playing with a TM still in process. But since they have to disclaim "Washington", and "Football Team" is so general that they can't claim it. So the only thing they can claim in the TM is "est 1932". Not a very strong TM to use if they want to use it permanently.

So while WSH COULD apply for a distinct, not to be confused by others, football team TM a couple of days before they announce the name, they will probably want to avoid any legal fights in the future and gladly get an assignment of a TM owned by an ordinary person. Not the owner of a big name sports team.
Probably before draft day 2022. Maybe March 2022.

P.S. Even if a TM is suspended, it would still be in use. So even if WSH decided to apply for "Washington Football Warriors est 1932" to avoid confusion with GSW and warriors Sports, someone with a suspended football TM for Warriors, like Don Terry, could still claim confusion.

Edited by DCdangerous
  • Thanks 2