Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)


Recommended Posts

I will admit that Wolves is a LIGHT connection to our past name. But by trying to abide by the activists with finding a name with no Native American imagery, we are in a tight spot. What else is involved with our history? Players and coaches are people so we can't use them. Hogs was a nice point in time, but it is a fun name, not a strong name. Our past was mainly involving Native American imagery and a unique name. So we have to think outside the box and find a name that connects to the old name without DIRECT Native American connections.


It seems as though we have to figure what we are trying to INDIRECTLY connect to our past with our next name: Native American culture, or a Native American occupation. With Wolves, they are not only recognized in their culture but are SEEN in their renditions. It makes it better that wolves are also used in other cultures around the world, so it makes it easy to market globally. With Warriors, it is makes the connection to Native Americans harder. If we choose a Spartan, Centurion, or even risk using our own military, it will have no ties that we can connect back to Native Americans. We won't be able to see our new name in Native American drawings or paintings unless it is the actual person itself, which we are trying to avoid. And if use a specific warrior, it will be even harder for the global fan base to connect with, since using a spartan or centurion is not really an American thing. And in the end, it becomes just a general word. At least Wolves is a living breathing animal that we can interact with. Don't bother using the abstract angle for Warriors (we are all warriors) because Golden State has that covered. And if you have to bank on the name being available via money exchange, then it is not worth it. And yes that includes Red Wolves.

Side tangent - For those who think Wolves has to no ties to the area, I will admit even connecting the red Wolf to the area is a big stretch. But honestly, there is no strong name left to use for our Nation's Capital. Plus, there is more to DC than just our Nation's Capitol. Anything patriotic has been done over and over with National, Capitals, United, Freedom, Justice, and even the colors of Wizards. Plus we can't use RWB colors like the other teams because we are keeping our original team colors. Why not have our name that represents the OTHER part of DC? The real people who live there? Unfortunately there is already a G-League team called the Capital City Go-Gos. So how about we use Wolves reflect the bond, and boldness of the people overlooked by Federal stuff?

Like it or not, we are limited by our choices. No name we have will be 100% connected to our past/area AND be a real moneymaker. The best way for our next name to not be a Wizards fiasco, is to find a name with SOMEWHAT connections. And if that makes us look like an expansion team, so be it , because we tried finding the best name with our hands tied.

I didn't bother discussing why WFT won't work because that has been told many times by others as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DCdangerous said:

I will admit that Wolves is a LIGHT connection to our past name. But by trying to abide by the activists with finding a name with no Native American imagery, we are in a tight spot. What else is involved with our history? Players and coaches are people so we can't use them. Hogs was a nice point in time, but it is a fun name, not a strong name. Our past was mainly involving Native American imagery and a unique name. So we have to think outside the box and find a name that connects to the old name without DIRECT Native American connections.


It seems as though we have to figure what we are trying to INDIRECTLY connect to our past with our next name: Native American culture, or a Native American occupation. With Wolves, they are not only recognized in their culture but are SEEN in their renditions. It makes it better that wolves are also used in other cultures around the world, so it makes it easy to market globally. With Warriors, it is makes the connection to Native Americans harder. If we choose a Spartan, Centurion, or even risk using our own military, it will have no ties that we can connect back to Native Americans. We won't be able to see our new name in Native American drawings or paintings unless it is the actual person itself, which we are trying to avoid. And if use a specific warrior, it will be even harder for the global fan base to connect with, since using a spartan or centurion is not really an American thing. And in the end, it becomes just a general word. At least Wolves is a living breathing animal that we can interact with. Don't bother using the abstract angle for Warriors (we are all warriors) because Golden State has that covered. And if you have to bank on the name being available via money exchange, then it is not worth it. And yes that includes Red Wolves.

Side tangent - For those who think Wolves has to no ties to the area, I will admit even connecting the red Wolf to the area is a big stretch. But honestly, there is no strong name left to use for our Nation's Capital. Plus, there is more to DC than just our Nation's Capitol. Anything patriotic has been done over and over with National, Capitals, United, Freedom, Justice, and even the colors of Wizards. Plus we can't use RWB colors like the other teams because we are keeping our original team colors. Why not have our name that represents the OTHER part of DC? The real people who live there? Unfortunately there is already a G-League team called the Capital City Go-Gos. So how about we use Wolves reflect the bond, and boldness of the people overlooked by Federal stuff?

Like it or not, we are limited by our choices. No name we have will be 100% connected to our past/area AND be a real moneymaker. The best way for our next name to not be a Wizards fiasco, is to find a name with SOMEWHAT connections. And if that makes us look like an expansion team, so be it , because we tried finding the best name with our hands tied.

I didn't bother discussing why WFT won't work because that has been told many times by others as well.

 

 

Sentries is the perfect name.  It ties into the guards of the tomb of the unknown soldier.  It also could be tied to General Washington crossing the Delaware.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

 

You're not even listening at this point, obviously.

 

"Warriors" has a history from a name standpoint of REFERENCING NA PEOPLE, not something NA culture may love. And as I showed in that original logo, it's been done in pretty obviously demeaning and racist ways. So, AGAIN, the team is NOT GOING ANYWHERE NEAR THAT.

 

I don't think either of us are listening at this point.  If you expect me (and the team) to believe, that if they pick WARRIORS without any Native American imagery whatsoever, zero, zilch, nada that we are just asking for the protesting to recommence as if nothing at all has changed...I utterly refuse to do so.  I can't believe people could be that daft.  They were protesting a "dictionary defined racial slur" as they never let us forget remember?  Warriors is not a dictionary defined racial slur.  Native Americans do not hold a monopoly on the idea or term "Warriors"    

 

Historical Warriors logos in this country have used Native Americans.  This is undeniable and a fact.  Most were culturally insensitive at best, and racist at worst. 

 

Our Warrior logo if they pick Warriors WOULD NOT DO THAT.  Therefore, there would be NO NATIVE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION TO OUR USE OF WARRIORS.  They have already stated that the new name and brand will have no reference to Native Americans.  For me, I think you truly are kidding yourself if you don't think Warriors has any chance at all.  For me, it was pretty clear that name was strategically placed in the survey to the season ticket holders.  They didn't put it up against any other names that appear to be front runners.  Daniel Snyder has already shown that he has an affinity for that name, because at one time he had the trademark.  If he thought he would be forced into this situation, I guarantee you he would STILL have the trademark and we would already be Warriors.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DCdangerous said:

I will admit that Wolves is a LIGHT connection to our past name. But by trying to abide by the activists with finding a name with no Native American imagery, we are in a tight spot. What else is involved with our history? Players and coaches are people so we can't use them. Hogs was a nice point in time, but it is a fun name, not a strong name. Our past was mainly involving Native American imagery and a unique name. So we have to think outside the box and find a name that connects to the old name without DIRECT Native American connections.
 

So how about we use Wolves reflect the bond, and boldness of the people overlooked by Federal stuff?

 

I'm fine with Wolves, just not Redwolves.  The point I'm making is that if we are expected to believe that Warriors should have no chance at being the name whatsoever because most Warrior logos in the past used Native Americans (even if ours would not) it's just as ridiculous to say that Wolves have a spiritual connection to Native Americans and should not be used either.

 

Both are a reach.  We have to call the team something.  I don't see how people could look at a Warrior logo with a roman helmet and with a straight face say...nope, still too Native American.

 

That makes no sense.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

 

I'm fine with Wolves, just not Redwolves.  The point I'm making is that if we are expected to believe that Warriors should have no chance at being the name whatsoever because most Warrior logos in the past used Native Americans (even if ours would not) it's just as ridiculous to say that Wolves have a spiritual connection to Native Americans and should not be used either.

 

Both are a reach.  We have to call the team something.  I don't see how people could look at a Warrior logo with a roman helmet and with a straight face say...nope, still too Native American.

 

That makes no sense.

 

I saw your back and forth with the other guy. My statement is the opposite of that.  If there is ZERO reference to Native Americans in a Warriors logo, where is the connection to our team history?  I am not saying we should have feathers or war paint (the activists DID say no spears either). But at least with a Wolf you can put it next to anything related to Native American culture, and the connection to our team history is there.

With Warriors, whether it is a spartan, centurion, or military, nobody sees the connection to our team history if it is put next to anything related to Native American culture. Even if that Warriors logo is right next to the old logo, it will take too long to make the connection.

In fact you could say we already have warriors in the NFL.  Vikings are warriors of the Norse. Buccaneers/Raiders are warriors of the sea. Heck Patriots are already the American warriors. Wolves may be general, but it is still a specific animal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

(I can use "white" there right? That's not racist or White Privilege? Just checking, I don't want to offend anyone)

Everything is even now.

73A4174C-9189-4B0C-BEB3-7B84AAA74A68.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DCdangerous said:

I saw your back and forth with the other guy. My statement is the opposite of that.  If there is ZERO reference to Native Americans in a Warriors logo, where is the connection to our team history?  I am not saying we should have feathers or war paint (the activists DID say no spears either). But at least with a Wolf you can put it next to anything related to Native American culture, and the connection to our team history is there.

With Warriors, whether it is a spartan, centurion, or military, nobody sees the connection to our team history if it is put next to anything related to Native American culture. Even if that Warriors logo is right next to the old logo, it will take too long to make the connection.

In fact you could say we already have warriors in the NFL.  Vikings are warriors of the Norse. Buccaneers/Raiders are warriors of the sea. Heck Patriots are already the American warriors. Wolves may be general, but it is still a specific animal.

 

For me, the burgundy and gold colors are the connection to the team history.  Also for me, "Redskins" were always Warriors.  However, we can't use Native American imagery...so we don't.  We use something that leaves subtle hints, but can't be directly tied to the old name.  A spear that is not of Native American origin (and doesn't look like our old spear logo) is not Native American.  I don't care who among them states "no spears."  Just like Warriors, they don't hold a monopoly on spears either.  Spears have been used since hunter-gatherers roamed the earth. 

 

We changed the name from a "dictionary defined racial slur."  No Native American imagery will be used in the new brand.  Should be enough.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

 

Nothing more you can say, yet you and others say and like the SAME EXACT THINGS over and over again. Your logic is lazy, as I've already shown.

Oh I’ll keep on saying it until they shoot down this TERRIBLE name!!!! Down with the Red Wolf!!!! Up for the ULTIMATE WARRIORS!!! Ultimate Warrior Wrestling GIF by WWE 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, my my middle school was the Woodbridge Seminoles and my High School was the Gar-Field Indians. Recently Gar-Field has also decided to rename/rebrand and these are the options they are voting on. (these are the previous school colors... and they are trying to maintain Red because they also went by the nickname Big Red when I was there.)

image.thumb.png.ee6559d1edd0a24226879cd868aaa9e6.png

these were the original Indians uniforms (arrow on helmet)
image.png.42c33b3badc6a68c59d147da06f22cfc.png

I am pretty sure my Middle School is changing also.

And my Elementary was not a Native American theme, but someone found Cougars offensive so they changed it to the Cardinals.

Also my Bullets as we all know are using the worst name in all of sports.

Pretty much everything in my life has changed... Next up Orioles/Capitals? GMU Patriots?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, slinky said:

So, my my middle school was the Woodbridge Seminoles and my High School was the Gar-Field Indians. Recently Gar-Field has also decided to rename/rebrand and these are the options they are voting on. (these are the previous school colors... and they are trying to maintain Red because they also went by the nickname Big Red when I was there.)

 

Of those I like Griffins and Red Wolves.  I don't have any issues with Red Wolves for a High School Mascot.  Griffins are also used in heraldry pretty extensively.  My English ancestors had armorial bearings with Griffins, so naturally I gravitate towards them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most folks I have talked to in the DMV did not support changing the name at all.  The name change has gone from a never in a million years to a done deal.  I have been a Skins fan my whole life.  But if it has to be changed, Warriors is just not a good choice. 

 

La Plata Warriors is a high school mascot name where I live in Southern Maryland.  My son played on a travel baseball team here called the Warriors.  Warriors is such a generic name to me it is one of my least favorite of the possibles.

 

I am a RedWolves fan.  I like that it keeps the Red in there but we'd probably call them Wolves just like we shortened Redskins to Skins. 

 

So, RedWolves is the best alternative to me.  Not controversial and it is time to move on.  Let's Go Wolves!  ;)

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

 

For me, the burgundy and gold colors are the connection to the team history.  Also for me, "Redskins" were always Warriors.  However, we can't use Native American imagery...so we don't.  We use something that leaves subtle hints, but can't be directly tied to the old name.  A spear that is not of Native American origin (and doesn't look like our old spear logo) is not Native American.  I don't care who among them states "no spears."  Just like Warriors, they don't hold a monopoly on spears either.  Spears have been used since hunter-gatherers roamed the earth. 

 

We changed the name from a "dictionary defined racial slur."  No Native American imagery will be used in the new brand.  Should be enough.  

It’s not enough.  Native American activists always had a problem with the Warriors name. But they NEVER had a problem with animals, even if it had Red in the name. And in fact, with so many fans supporting Redwolves, using the team colors as our only connection to our team history is not enough. 

Now as the months went by, I started to think it is too much trouble to try to keep “Red” this much. But we still need more than just team colors.  Wolves itself still leaves a better subtle hint to our past than Warriors. It requires no items similarly used by Native Americans, and we won’t have to HOPE they approve this version of the name, when there are multiples school that changed from Native American names to animals and they approved them too. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have made my peace with it.  While I still root for the team, now that I am 50, it is different and felt different last year.  It probably didn't help that this all occurred during a pandemic where I would think we all gained a little perspective.

 

I also realize that when considering the name change, I am not the droids they are looking for or marketing to.  Yes, they will consider the loyal fanbase but much like we have seen in minor league baseball, they are going after the younger folks and rightfully so.

 

Whatever the name will be, I am fine with Red Wolves but also like something unique like DC 32 FC but that just might be too out there, I buy a jersey or a hat and that's it for a good while.  You get kids in the mix, well, the parents have to buy them new stuff each growth spurt or when their favorite player moves on in free agency.

 

Here in Richmond, we have the Flying Squirrels playing a 3 game series with the Hartford Yard Goats.  I think Red Wolves checks a lot of boxes and will certainly be easy to market.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Painkiller said:

 

I don't think either of us are listening at this point.  If you expect me (and the team) to believe, that if they pick WARRIORS without any Native American imagery whatsoever, zero, zilch, nada that we are just asking for the protesting to recommence as if nothing at all has changed...I utterly refuse to do so.  I can't believe people could be that daft.  They were protesting a "dictionary defined racial slur" as they never let us forget remember?  Warriors is not a dictionary defined racial slur.  Native Americans do not hold a monopoly on the idea or term "Warriors"    

 

Historical Warriors logos in this country have used Native Americans.  This is undeniable and a fact.  Most were culturally insensitive at best, and racist at worst. 

 

Our Warrior logo if they pick Warriors WOULD NOT DO THAT.  Therefore, there would be NO NATIVE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION TO OUR USE OF WARRIORS.  They have already stated that the new name and brand will have no reference to Native Americans.  For me, I think you truly are kidding yourself if you don't think Warriors has any chance at all.  For me, it was pretty clear that name was strategically placed in the survey to the season ticket holders.  They didn't put it up against any other names that appear to be front runners.  Daniel Snyder has already shown that he has an affinity for that name, because at one time he had the trademark.  If he thought he would be forced into this situation, I guarantee you he would STILL have the trademark and we would already be Warriors.  

 

Your comment that Warriors traditionally represented NAs and the logos originally used were "racist at worst" should answer your own questions as to why the team will NOT go this route. The only reason Snyder trademarked it in the first place was with the idea of using it in CONJUNCTION with the logo and NA imagery if he had to change Redskins, and also for an Arena team he was interested in starting. Without that possibility, I'm sure whatever "affinity" he had for that name has cooled considerably. 

 

Again, all your points as to why it would be OK are just based on logic in a vacuum. They don't take into account at all the reality of the real-world situation. You saw the article I shared awhile back where the guy wrote about how it "could NOT be Warriors." That represents a lot of the same people who protested the name to begin with. The team does NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH THAT ANYMORE. No matter how many arguments you or anyone else makes that "warriors" would have no NA connotations, there would still be significant backlash for those who claimed it did. And you are kidding YOURSELF if you think this doesn't play HUGE into the team's decision making. 

 

Here's another article about why this name is not going to be chosen:

https://www.audacy.com/theteam980/sports/washington-football-team/chris-russell-warriors-name-losing-fight-washington-wft

 

A quote from it:

Quote

 

While the word ‘warriors’ often does not have any connection to Native Americans, in the sports world, from high schools to colleges to the professional ranks, the name has almost exclusively been paired with Native American imagery and culturally insensitive mascots.

 

 

 

 

Here's a tweet awhile back from Carmelo Anthony. Look at one of the names he wants dropped from the list of "racist" names. Yeah, that's right, the one with a BRIDGE as a logo and currently NO NA IMAGERY. 

 

 

Yeah, you can argue ALL DAY about how he's wrong about this, and you'd be able to make some VALID POINTS. The main point here is, NONE OF THOSE POINTS MATTER as far as the team is concerned, because you'd have to be an UTTER BUFFOON to go to all the trouble of changing the name to appease NA protests and then change it to something NEW that could ignite the issue all over again and mar your entire campaign. Yes, we HAVE an utter buffoon as an owner, but thankfully the new people in the front office don't appear to be. As long as they get to have the most influence on the final decision (and let's be honest, the mafia bosses at the league will have plenty of say, too), it won't be "Warriors."

 

Thankfully that's not the name I want anyway. But even if it WAS, I'd arrive at the same conclusion, because it's as obvious as John Madden's gigantic thorax. 

Edited by Dissident2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I think about it the area teams with the most sustained success both have team names that are area specific.  Nationals & Capitals.  I say go with a team name that represents DC.  Your team colors don’t have to be red, white & blue.  Just give the team a name that makes sense!!! Washington Defenders!  Then have the #1 defense for the next few years & BOOM Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Long story short, Non-de script imagery does not erase decades of branding.

 

We need to adopt a new identity. We can't just be a W, or something that is not identifiable. We see that with Golden State. We see that with the Indians, even after they remove offensive imagery. We will probably see it again moving forward w/ the Chiefs, Braves and others. Its why we ourselves saw push back when we adopted our temp name.

 

The Redskin's moniker has spent its entire life-cycle associating itself with NA imagery. To fully turn away from it in an acceptable manner, one that won't spark outrage I should say, we have to use something that latches on to actual imagery. Otherwise your asking for trouble and risk your new gear getting de-listed 24hrs after it is put on sale. If the power that exists was strong enough to do it once. It would not be wise to put yourself in a situation where it could happen again.

 

 

Personally, since we are under an ultra-microscope, I don't think we can get away with things other franchises can. If we move to another group of people, we will simply be accused of dropping NA imagery and co-opting another culture, like they matter even less. That means ideas like RedTails (using Aviation imagery to honor the Tuskegee Airmen) would be an absolute no-go. Same goes for imagery clearly linked to races of people, like Spartans or Greeks. You begging for the hammer to be brought down on yourself if you go into these directions.

 

 

Our final name and logo has to be something that does not focus on a specific race of people, while also adopting new, clearly defined imagery. Anything short of that would be about as effective as not double tapping a Zombie, meaning I hope your ready to repeat the process all over again.

 

The great thing about Redwolves is that it has already past the Redskins-to-new-name conversion smell test before.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If it were up to me, but it is not. 

1. Warriors - I would push this to the limit and just deal with it. Any press is good press? Throwback 60's style uni's with Spartan spear and yellow ribbon on the helmet. I know.

2. Redwolves - same unis with updated logo or current unis with updated logo. No stripes on the helmet. I had been wanting that for years. 

3. Sentinals - same as Redwolves. Pick the unis and update the logo.

For 2021 though I would like them to update something. The number on the helmet AND shoulder is too much. It is redundant. I had hoped DS would put it to Nike a little and make them update the jerseys more by removing the numbers while removing Redskins from the chest.

The new font W on the helmet with current jerseys would be cool, I think. Or remove the numbers from the jerseys. 

 

HTTR

 

FWIW: 53 year old, white male (well half, dad was born in Arlington, VA and mom in Lima, Peru). I was born in Washington DC proper. Raised in Ft. Worth, Texas since I was 7. Put up with a lot as a little Redskins fan in Ft. Worth, still do actually. 

 

Edited by bentskin
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bentskin said:

I would push this to the limit and just deal with it. Any press is good press?

 

The instant stores choose to de-list your merch your done. The whole "F-them get mine"  mentality hurts us way more then them. All your doing is creating an ocean of articles praising them for doing the right thing, meanwhile your back to branding square one with an even bigger target on your back. What do you get? Ceremonial grandstanding, two years down the drain and a billy in lost revenue. Great.

 

The NFL has merchandising contracts so there is no circumventing them. If NIKE faces great enough pressure, and chooses to pull the plug, game over.

 

You do not push limits here. You can not deal with it. We have no power, no authority. If you flip off the world in this case, your finger will get cut off. I think most would agree that is not a good trade IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I refuse to believe that things have gone so ridiculously off the rails that a Warrior logo that does not feature a Native American and has no obvious links to Native Americans would still be offensive to Native Americans.  I can’t believe we have become that soft.

 

Designs like this have no connection whatsoever to Native Americans.  
 

 

B474386E-DDD1-454D-8AE4-A3DBEDA08B3E.png

E773E9F2-6492-4626-88E3-94770F72B07B.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

and I believe that everyone who speaks out against Warriors believes that we would maintain a Native American link.  They are talking about teams with the Warrior name that use Native American imagery.  We would not do that.  For the 1000 time, Warriors is not exclusive to Native Americans, and people can say what they want about Golden State but if the logo is a bridge than it’s not Native American.  I will believe they will be forced to change their name when I see it despite what some may say.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

I refuse to believe that things have gone so ridiculously off the rails that a Warrior logo that does not feature a Native American and has no obvious links to Native Americans would still be offensive to Native Americans.  I can’t believe we have become that soft.

 

Its not off the rails at all, there are several examples of historical president.

 

GS can change their logo, but there are still calls to remove their name. Indians can remove imagery, and they still were brought to the point where they are now choosing a new moniker.

Replacing decades of branding w/ something nondescript will be met w/ backlash, time and time again.

 

Can you use the term Warriors in a way that does not reference NAs? Sure, but that is not our only problem. Due to our unique circumstances we can't utilize a different culture, so no Romans or Spartains.  Even a military slant may prove to volatile with the focus on war. Furthermore you can't have something nondescript, a basic shield or sword puts you in the GS and Indians territory, where you don't have any true iconography... just a bridge, or a namecard, so the problem still persists and the pressure to change will remain. Did changing to nondescript imagery help the Indians? Why would it help us?

 

I'm sure there is some way to avoid controversy with the Warriors name, similar to how RedTails could be birds rather than people, just not with any of the methods presented here.

 

 

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure WFT would hold up in the event it is given permanent status. The only thing holding people back is its temp status. Otherwise it to puts us right back in Indians territory. There is no adoption of a new identity, and its why we yet again saw an outcry when we picked up the temp name, serving as another example as to why this line of thinking is problematic.

 

We can not slap the W. Wilson bridge on our helmets and think everything will be just fine

We can not remove all imagery and just rock numbers and expect everything will be just fine

We can not rebrand with something that does not direct focus to a different line of thinking.

 

We have seen multiple professional franchises use these methods. All were met w/ backlash, and we are under the biggest microscope of all.

 

 

All of this is a good practice for what kinds of logos we can and cant use, but its a moot point for Warriors. You'll see Google reeasing iPhone-G editions before GS lets a multi-billion dollar sports franchise share their name.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

 

 

We can not slap the W. Wilson bridge on our helmets and think everything will be just fine

We can not remove all imagery and just rock numbers and expect everything will be just fine

We can not rebrand with something that does not direct focus to a different line of thinking.

 

 

Not having some sort of connection to what we previously were, would be a problem for a significant portion of the fanbase, and it goes beyond the colors.

But then again, maybe the team should should put a halt on the input process and just go to the sponsors and ask them...

 

" What would you like our name to  be ? "

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spearfeather said:

 

Not having some sort of connection to what we previously were, would be a problem for a significant portion of the fanbase, and it goes beyond the colors.

 

No one says you cant have a connection. It just:

 

A: (in the case of something that has Native American association) Can't be on the nose and has to be overt and something the team will never recognize in any official capacity unless their desire is to invite ruin

 

or

 

B: Be linked to a part of our history that is totally removed from NAs.

 

 

The Hogs would be one good example of an acceptable on the nose connection. There will be no "social" outcry if officially recognized, or even if that is our new name

 

Redwolves/Wolves would be an example of an overt one that no one can reasonably call you out on and as long as the team itself does not come out and say "We chose this b/c of its deep connection to NAs!"

 

The links can be there if that is what is desired, even those w/ NAs. Just have to be smart about how they are implemented. If we want connections that we can openly bring with us, we will always have the Hogs, the Fun Bunch, 50 Gut and multiple Lombardis. Those don't have to go anywhere.

 

 

2 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

But then again, maybe the team should should put a halt on the input process and just go to the sponsors and ask them...

 

 

Does anyone here truly believe money will not be a tremendously large factor in what the new name will be?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...