Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

jskins11

3 hours ago, carex said:

Warriors is not fine.  I didn't mention Wizards.  Red Wolves would be worse.  None of the names with red in them work for me

Washington Warriors works for me.  It is what it is.  Red Wolves would have me leaving as a fan.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Red Wolves would have me leaving as a fan.

I wouldn’t go that far but to me it comes of as juvenile and basically “we are desperate to find some kind of way to make it kind of sort of a little bit sound like Redskins”.  Hail to the Redskins becomes Howl to the Redwolves?  

C’mon man let the Redskins name die with dignity.  Not some half-baked attempt to hold on to old traditions.

Not one other team in the NFL has a color in its name for its mascot.  The Detroit Silver Lions? The Chicago Black Bears?  The Philadelphia Green Eagles?  Sounds ridiculous because it is ridiculous.  

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Not one other team in the NFL has a color in its name for its mascot

Uhhhhh....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjHqbi6hSqDTnkqZiixWl2oe9-eKh1TdcSx5pPoXlJx6Pwf4DUT3pyri87Xw&usqp=CAc

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Top names:

1. Redwolves

11. Redtails

12. Redhawks

13. Warriors

Where does flat Wolves rank on your list?

I'd prefer Redwolves, but Wolves would be an awesome name as well. Lets us capitalize on the vacant dog market too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Where does flat Wolves rank on your list?

I'd prefer Redwolves, but Wolves would be an awesome name as well. Lets us capitalize on the vacant dog market too.

Want the R since it would make it easy to explain to future fans things like why fans used to shout HTTR and easier for the PC crowd to whitewash history without us having to surrender our history. Also, Redwolves has a nice beat similar to Redskins but not as big an issue so again helps with keeping our history and traditions. Like I often would just say the 'skins, I could easily call them the 'wolves but don't want a W name (don't really like monosyllabic team names).

1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

@FootballZombieI’m not sure if you are serious but the Browns were named after Paul Brown.  Their first head coach, not the color lol.

Cardinals are actually named after the color cardinal red (that was the color of their original uniforms bought at auction from the University of Chicago)  but it is not the color that is so big but the letter R (HTTR and the 'Lombardi' Helmet design for example) also the logo would also allow us to celebrate our glory years.

Hail to the Redwolves
Hail victory
Pack on the hunt down

Fight for old DC!

Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Sons of Washington. Rah! Rah! Rah!

Edited by Darth Tater

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

There's no dignity in any of this, unfortunately. 

Trying to make lemonade my friend.  I came to terms with and can deal with the change. My eyes now are firmly set on the future.  

• Like 1

@Darth Taterthis also works 

“Hail to the Warriors, Hail Victory

the Brave on the Warpath, Fight for old D.C.” and the second half of the song doesn’t change at all.

HTTW

Warriors allows us to continue to do those things (if we choose) without having a random animal mascot to keep the R.

11 hours ago, Painkiller said:

Other than Washington Justice what options do you like mentioned or unmentioned?  If you had final say what would you choose?

Generals is too on the nose Military, and that will piss off those who despise America’s foreign policies.  

Federals won’t work where many of the residents want DC statehood and that will be seen as an affront to their wishes.  

We agree that “red” anything is too desperate.

one thing did just occur to me regarding Red.  If we're using names other teams have I wouldn't mind us just being the Reds.  NFL's already got Browns

Minutemen.  Potomacs.  Thinking about wolves has made me realize I'd be cool with Wolfpack.  Rough Riders was kind of okay, and Riders  would be too.  Virginia and Maryland both have horse country.  Maybe the DC Hogs?  That works better than Washington Hogs.  Cannons.  Rivermen

Edited by carex

Warriors doesn’t work unless it’s an homage to Native warriors. Obviously that’s not gonna happen. There no good reason to go with warriors. 

Atleast redwolves and warthogs are original. And hogs has ties to the history of the franchise. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Painkiller said:

@Darth Taterthis also works 

“Hail to the Warriors, Hail Victory

the Brave on the Warpath, Fight for old D.C.” and the second half of the song doesn’t change at all.

HTTW

Warriors allows us to continue to do those things (if we choose) without having a random animal mascot to keep the R.

the warpath is a very Native American concept, so I don't think it works

On 2/11/2021 at 9:03 PM, -JB- said:

Warriors is fine.  Wizards is pathetic.  Red Wolves would be worse.

Wizards is the worst team name in pro sports, hands down.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:26 AM, -JB- said:

Red Wolves would have me leaving as a fan.

No it wouldn't. 

On 2/12/2021 at 1:53 AM, Painkiller said:

C’mon man let the Redskins name die with dignity.

We went way past that having a sponsor force the hand to drop the brand, but that's definitely part of our heritage.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 5:17 PM, Skin'emAlive said:

Thats why I was thinking Warthogs. Washington warthogs has the alliteration, and can just call them Hogs like we do with the ‘skins. 

I like Warthogs too but Razorbacks is my favorite. We keep the R, references the hogs (which could be an unofficial nickname) it doesn’t sound stupid or like we’re trying too hard and it’s just effing cool IMO. Red Wolves? No. Please. Just no.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wizards is the worst team name in pro sports, hands down.

Second worst. I think the Pelicans relieved us of the title. 

3 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

I like Warthogs too but Razorbacks is my favorite. We keep the R, references the hogs (which could be an unofficial nickname) it doesn’t sound stupid or like we’re trying too hard and it’s just effing cool IMO. Red Wolves? No. Please. Just no.

Second worst. I think the Pelicans relieved us of the title. 

RedWolves is easily the best option. They're introducing wolves back. Red wolves are native to the area. The "Den", the Wolfpack fan groups. Pin your ears back. The "R" stays, Wolves are cool. Calling them the wolves is cool.

Razorbacks is definitely way better than Warthogs lol. That's awful. That's not quite Warriors bad though, which are both better than Wizards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Razorbacks is definitely way better than Warthogs lol. That's awful. That's not quite Warriors bad though, which are both better than Wizards.

If I’m honest, I actually deleted part of my post where regarding the Warthogs name, I was going to say something along the lines of liking Warthogs in spite of a certain gross-ness of the name. I think it’s probably the warts part. That said, one wants a mascot to exude a certain toughness, especially in football. So, along with the alliteration and the reference to the hogs, I could live with it. Warriors was my initial choice but the more I hear it, it’s just so...milquetoast.

I kind of dig Minutemen, but the jokes with that one are kind of obvious and I hate nationalism so that pretty much kills it IMO.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

RedWolves is easily the best option. They're introducing wolves back. Red wolves are native to the area. The "Den", the Wolfpack fan groups. Pin your ears back. The "R" stays, Wolves are cool. Calling them the wolves is cool.

most people don't even know redwolves are a thing so it sounds like we arbitrarily attached red to a word

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carex said:

most people don't even know redwolves are a thing so it sounds like we arbitrarily attached red to a word

Well, most people have never seen any actual "redskins" either and the reason is a lot more horrific than track homes and strip malls. Lol