Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)


Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

I was born and raised in the DC area.  I never saw a single wolf in all my time there.  Wolfs and Red Wolfs has nothing to do with the DMV area.  Yes, there were some red wolfs near the VA eastern shore about 200 years ago.  Big deal.  We need to do better when we pick our new name.

 

We would have the wolf pack ( blatant copy of the dog pound).  We would have howling noise during kick offs.  So weak.....

 

The wolfs were toothless this Sunday.  They were road kill for the hungry, high flying eagles...  The big lines are easy to write....

Any name can be flipped negatively when we lose. 

People howling together at the stadium is a great fan experience. Good news is NC state owns everything “Wolfpack”, so we can’t use that. But the fans can be called “Alpha Walkers”. 

 

Connecting Wolves to the region is a stretch, but nobody cares. Any other DC region name is either boring or is stuck in TM hell (Warriors). 
 

Wolves is the best name for Washington. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

 The big lines are easy to write....

 

 

If your looking for a name that is not easy to be made fun of, I wish you luck on your literal impossible quest. Give any div rival fan 5 mins with any name and they will give you a laundry list of bile.

 

Its foolish to think you can find a name that is not ripe for destruction, especially when your only focused on basic one-liners like the one you posted

 

"I guess the game was too big for the Giants"

"Looks like someone took the air out from under the Eagles wings"

"Cowboys came out shooting blanks"

 

No name is safe with that kind of mindset.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zskins said:

Washington Werewolves. I like it!

Or even Vampires. 

Sorry watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer....lol

 

 

I rerwatching True Blood, so I agree Vampires would work lol. I always loved werewolves and hate how they're always portrayed as weaker.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DCdangerous said:

Any name can be flipped negatively when we lose. 

People howling together at the stadium is a great fan experience. Good news is NC state owns everything “Wolfpack”, so we can’t use that. But the fans can be called “Alpha Walkers”. 

 

Connecting Wolves to the region is a stretch, but nobody cares. Any other DC region name is either boring or is stuck in TM hell (Warriors). 
 

Wolves is the best name for Washington. 

Why is wolves best?  Is it he because it begins with "W"?  I can't think of any other reason that makes it best.

 

Have we looked to names associated to space?  Washington Nebulas or Pulsars or Blackholes (kidding), or Quasars or Dark Stars.  There are many more.

Edited by ILikeBilly
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

I was born and raised in the DC area.  I never saw a single wolf in all my time there.  Wolfs and Red Wolfs has nothing to do with the DMV area.  Yes, there were some red wolfs near the VA eastern shore about 200 years ago.  Big deal.  We need to do better when we pick our new name.

 

We would have the wolf pack ( blatant copy of the dog pound).  We would have howling noise during kick offs.  So weak.....

 

The wolfs were toothless this Sunday.  They were road kill for the hungry, high flying eagles...  The big lines are easy to write....

There hasn't been a living gold miner from 1849 in probably 70-80 years. There are no Raiders in Nevada. There haven't been Buccaneers in Florida for 300 years or so. As far as I know, there are no living Saints in New Orleans. There are no Jaguars in Florida. There are no Bengals in Ohio because Bengals are from India.

 

The Rule of Cool paves over every complaint about historical accuracy. RED WOLVES BABY, AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

 

  

1 hour ago, ILikeBilly said:

Why is wolves best?  Is it he because it begins with "W"?  I can't think of any other reason that makes it best.

 

Have we looked to names associated to space?  Washington Nebulas or Pulsars or Blackholes (kidding), or Quasars or Dark Stars.  There are many more.

 I was born and raised in the Virginia area.  I never saw a Dark Star all my time there. Nebulas, Pulsars, Quasars, and Dark Stars have nothing to do with the DMV area.  Yes, there were some Nebulas near the border of the Milky Way shining light on us from a thousand or so years ago.  Big deal.  We need to do better when we pick our new name.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that Red Wolves ISN'T cool. And everyone knows that name is only semi-popular because it keeps the "Red". That's a terrible reason for choosing it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

The problem is that Red Wolves ISN'T cool. And everyone knows that name is only semi-popular because it keeps the "Red". That's a terrible reason for choosing it.

It's very cool. Go Wolves!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's very cool. Go Wolves!

 

Wolves is fine. I could live with Werewolves or Dire Wolves or something but not Red Wolves. It's just awful

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, UK Skins said:

 

Wolves is fine. I could live with Werewolves or Dire Wolves or something but not Red Wolves. It's just awful

Red wolves are the native wolf count chocula. Peter Pan. Were wolves aren't even real, that's just silly. Dire Wolves are extinct. Why use that name?

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Dire Wolves are extinct. Why use that name?

So that you can pay royalties to a writer who will never finish his book series.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just can't get behind Red-wolves.  Just Wolves at least rolls off the tongue Washington Wolves... But the Washington Warriors just seems to me to be the best fit.  Has a good ring to it, color and spear logo works which keeps a connection to the past assuming cancel culture would allow it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

 color and spear logo works which keeps a connection to the past assuming cancel culture would allow it.

 

Wright has already signaled colors will remain B&G regardless of new name.

 

Only veiled nods to our past will pass the smell test. A spear in the logo is straight up on the nose and blatant. No way no how. Spear is gone. Forget laughing, It would be like spitting in the face of death. Sponsors wont even sell the gear.

 

You can get away with some symbolism, but not something that is akin to walking around with a giant bullseye strapped to its chest. No NA imagery.

 

 

 

If you want something to tie back, it has to be covert, like the spiritual connection between wolves and NAs. Something that no one can call you out on.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ILikeBilly said:

Why is wolves best?  Is it he because it begins with "W"?  I can't think of any other reason that makes it best.

 

Have we looked to names associated to space?  Washington Nebulas or Pulsars or Blackholes (kidding), or Quasars or Dark Stars.  There are many more.

It is simple yet bold.
It can use our team colors to still reference the Red Wolf.
We would be the first official canine NFL team since the NY Bulldogs in 1949
It is a well known symbol for teamwork AND family.
There are a multitude of slogan that can be incorporated from just Wolves alone
NA mythology said that when a Native American dies, its spirit comes back as a wolf. So we can say the Redskins name didn't die, it evolved.
It is an animal that many Native American acitvists said we are free to us so we would not get any blowback.
We were deprived of a mascot due to the old name so Wolves would lead to a mascot that our kids can enjoy

I can go on
 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Warriors is the worst. First, it sounds native American in the most offensive way. Well, second most offensive way which is why we're here I guess. Second, we're not supposed to glorify war,even if we do spend over half our taxes paying to bomb brown people to make billionaires more wealthy. 

 

DC Seals is better than Warriors.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NickyJ said:

There hasn't been a living gold miner from 1849 in probably 70-80 years. There are no Raiders in Nevada. There haven't been Buccaneers in Florida for 300 years or so. As far as I know, there are no living Saints in New Orleans. There are no Jaguars in Florida. There are no Bengals in Ohio because Bengals are from India.

 

The Rule of Cool paves over every complaint about historical accuracy. RED WOLVES BABY, AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

 

  

 I was born and raised in the Virginia area.  I never saw a Dark Star all my time there. Nebulas, Pulsars, Quasars, and Dark Stars have nothing to do with the DMV area.  Yes, there were some Nebulas near the border of the Milky Way shining light on us from a thousand or so years ago.  Big deal.  We need to do better when we pick our new name.

Awoooooo  is cool if you are a 20 something drunkard at the game.  Otherwise, pretty stupid.  

 

As for my space names - I was just trying to look into area we haven't touched yet.   Animals are over represented in NFL names.  We have a new military branch, the Space Force, which will, I think, be totally bad ass in about 20 years.  Space is the future, but those names were mere suggestions.

 

Washington Blue Crabs.  They turn burgundy when cooked and the beer is gold.  Go Crabs!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Washington Goats! 

 

GOATS = Greatest Of All Time Skins. ;)

 

I know, I know.... Snyder needs to hire me as his marketing genius. :)

 

 

 

Edited by zskins
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a Red Wolves/Wolves guy.

 

A night game, maybe MNF, in 2022..

 

Lights gradually fade into pitch black as a narrator speaks (Vincent price esque), loud enough to drown out any cheering from away fans and a heartbeat begins slowly, speeding up as the narrator speaks.

 

“The Giants of New York have travelled to the Wilderness (what we call our home stadium, maybe birds chirping or nature sounds). The men have brave hearts, anticipating victory and the triumphant safe return to their home.”

 

“They do not know.”

 

“As the sun sets, and the darkness falls, the Giants hear the echoes in the wind and then the faint rustling of the shadowy brush behind them.”

 

“They know fear.”

 

“And then the howls begin.”

 

<illuminate different sections in red light and the fans howl, as distant howling plays in speakers>

 

“The Red Wolves move swiftly; attacking from everywhere, and there is no escape from the hungry Washington pack.”

 

“The Giants spirit shatters, their bodies bloodied and battered. They flee in terror.”

 

“They know now.”

 

<Heartbeat is very very fast now, and then stops.>

 

Everyone in the crowd, 20,000 fans and the announcer:

 

“Red Wolves Hunt at night!”*

 

<the howl sounds> fans are howling everywhere 

 

<under cover of the dark the team had walked through the tunnel and onto the field they are now bathed in red flickering lights. Like a fever dream, or a glimpse of hell itself>

 

Lights come on and fans are going nuts as enter sandman,some other metal anthem, turn down for what, or Kanye West “Monster” plays.

 

Also, end of games, after victories they play a version of werewolves of London- RedWolves of DC. As fans joyfully howl. It will be like our Sweet Caroline.

 

*If something like this caught on, it would be pretty bad ass if the whole stadium got into it and yelled this. Not sure if I prefer the whole phrase or the announcer says “Red Wolves!” And the crowd yells back “hunt at night!”

 

I could see this being terrifying for little kids- team could do it only at night games and could have a kids section that’s not dark, maybe they could be in a “moon section” that stays partially lit or something.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I’m a Red Wolves/Wolves guy.

 

A night game, maybe MNF, in 2022..

 

Lights gradually fade into pitch black as a narrator speaks (Vincent price esque), loud enough to drown out any cheering from away fans and a heartbeat begins slowly, speeding up as the narrator speaks.

 

“The Giants of New York have travelled to the Wilderness (what we call our home stadium, maybe birds chirping or nature sounds). The men have brave hearts, anticipating victory and the triumphant safe return to their home.”

 

“They do not know.”

 

“As the sun sets, and the darkness falls, the Giants hear the echoes in the wind and then the faint rustling of the shadowy brush behind them.”

 

“They know fear.”

 

“And then the howls begin.”

 

<illuminate different sections in red light and the fans howl, as distant howling plays in speakers>

 

“The Red Wolves move swiftly; attacking from everywhere, and there is no escape from the hungry Washington pack.”

 

“The Giants spirit shatters, their bodies bloodied and battered. They flee in terror.”

 

“They know now.”

 

<Heartbeat is very very fast now, and then stops.>

 

Everyone in the crowd, 20,000 fans and the announcer:

 

“Red Wolves Hunt at night!”*

 

<the howl sounds> fans are howling everywhere 

 

<under cover of the dark the team had walked through the tunnel and onto the field they are now bathed in red flickering lights. Like a fever dream, or a glimpse of hell itself>

 

Lights come on and fans are going nuts as enter sandman,some other metal anthem, turn down for what, or Kanye West “Monster” plays.

 

Also, end of games, after victories they play a version of werewolves of London- RedWolves of DC. As fans joyfully howl. It will be like our Sweet Caroline.

 

*If something like this caught on, it would be pretty bad ass if the whole stadium got into it and yelled this. Not sure if I prefer the whole phrase or the announcer says “Red Wolves!” And the crowd yells back “hunt at night!”

 

I could see this being terrifying for little kids- team could do it only at night games and could have a kids section that’s not dark, maybe they could be in a “moon section” that stays partially lit or something.

That's a WWE intro right there .. I like it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Dire Wolves are extinct. Why use that name?


So are Raptors and the Saber Tooth Tiger the Predators use and Dire Wolves were huge, bad-MFer wolves. I don’t care about the GRR Martin connection and I watched the show and read the books. But, I’m sure that’d be an appeal to some. Also, Dire Wolf is a great song. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

 

 

 

https://i.img.ie/0j3.gif

 

If we get a retractable roof or something on the new digs, a strong projector could put up a full moon off of it. That would be awesome. Before every game you could have a moon-rise.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...