Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

jskins11

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Warriors isn’t generic? Lol. Even if it werent one of the most generic sports team names world wide, you are now competing with Golden state and others. Throwing merch opportunities away. 

Go with something original. Warthogs, Hogs, Redwolves. There’s so much you can do there that hasn’t been done. 

The team has said they want something that speaks to the DMV and its people.  Something steeped in the history of this area that nods to tradition with the burgundy and gold. Rebranding to the Washington Warriors will give us that.  All the great teams of the past were Warriors on a quest to the Super Bowl.  Ron Rivera and Alex Smith are Warriors.  All the first line workers during the pandemic are Warriors.  We have Warriors at the Pentagon.  Social Justice Warriors.  Warrior heroes buried at Arlington.  People at the Washington Hospital Center and DC General fighting crippling diseases are Warriors.  

What is not to like about the name Washington Warriors?  

Edited by Painkiller

I also don’t get those who keep bringing up Golden State as a reason not to choose Warriors.  They are a basketball team.  Nobody would confuse the NFL team with the NBA team.  There are several teams that share a mascot or name in North American professional sports.  

Cardinals, Giants, Rangers, Jets, Kings, Panthers all immediately come to mind.  There is even an Edmonton “Football Team” in the CFL lol.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

The team has said they want something that speaks to the DMV and its people.  Something steeped in the history of this area that nods to tradition with the burgundy and gold. Rebranding to the Washington Warriors will give us that.  All the great teams of the past were Warriors on a quest to the Super Bowl.  Ron Rivera and Alex Smith are Warriors.  All the first line workers during the pandemic are Warriors.  We have Warriors at the Pentagon.  Social Justice Warriors.  Warrior heroes buried at Arlington.  People at the Washington Hospital Center and DC General fighting crippling diseases are Warriors.  

it feels generic and this not special.  It's simple.  You say it would speak to the DMV, I say it would speak to anyone the exact same

5 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I also don’t get those who keep bringing up Golden State as a reason not to choose Warriors.  They are a basketball team.  Nobody would confuse the NFL team with the NBA team.  There are several teams that share a mascot or name in North American professional sports.  

Cardinals, Giants, Rangers, Jets, Kings, Panthers all immediately come to mind.  There is even an Edmonton “Football Team” in the CFL lol.

At least the Cardinals and the Giants were actively copying .  The other four of those teams are hockey which has pretty much a distant fourth for most popular US sports

4 minutes ago, carex said:

it feels generic and this not special.  It's simple.  You say it would speak to the DMV, I say it would speak to anyone the exact same

Here is my thing...I’m scared to death we get a Bullets to Wizards kind of thing.  Picture these scenarios “The Redwolves play the Cowboys this weekend” “The Redtails play the Giants this weekend”. Does that really sound good to you?  

Now Warriors vs. Giants.  Warriors vs. Lions...that sounds fitting.  It’s a proper NFL team name.  There is no need to find a name that is unique.  I just want one that fits...and isn’t over the top or silly.  This is the Nation’s Capitol and we need a name that sounds, looks, and feels right.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Football team grew in me...

Me too...I never expected that...became a badge of honor...and I noticed other teams fans who made fun of me(y’all/Team) at the beginning of the season grew to respect it by the end...very interesting and surprising result...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Here is my thing...I’m scared to death we get a Bullets to Wizards kind of thing.  Picture these scenarios “The Redwolves play the Cowboys this weekend” “The Redtails play the Giants this weekend”. Does that really sound good to you?  

Now Warriors vs. Giants.  Warriors vs. Lions...that sounds fitting.  It’s a proper NFL team name.  There is no need to find a name that is unique.  I just want one that fits...and isn’t over the top or silly.  This is the Nation’s Capitol and we need a name that sounds, looks, and feels right.  

I agree with you. I think those names sound like college names and it's for people who are not wanting to get rid of the "red" part of the name. It needs to be dropped completely. I do like the sound of the Wolves vs. Giants or Wolves vs. Eagles though and we could have our mascot be a red wolf. That's fine and is fitting, we can still keep the colors but team names on a professional level have to be somewhat generic IMO. The unique part about this team is the Ronald McDonald colors anyways. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Warriors isn’t generic? Lol. Even if it werent one of the most generic sports team names world wide, you are now competing with Golden state and others. Throwing merch opportunities away. 

Go with something original. Warthogs, Hogs, Redwolves. There’s so much you can do there that hasn’t been done. 

I guess I’d take hogs...but I like Football Team...same colors though

/I’ll also take stefanskins as the new name...

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

unfortunately I can't currently think of a name I'd be happy with but when it comes to ranking names I'd be unhappy with it tops them.  You say it sounds like a football teams name and I agree.  It sounds like A football team's name, not Washington's football team's name, that is the name you give when you're shrugging and giving up.

2 minutes ago, carex said:

unfortunately I can't currently think of a name I'd be happy with but when it comes to ranking names I'd be unhappy with it tops them.  You say it sounds like a football teams name and I agree.  It sounds like A football team's name, not Washington's football team's name, that is the name you give when you're shrugging and giving up.

Fair enough, we aren’t going to change each other’s minds here.  I don’t feel they have to reinvent the wheel with the name, and I hope beyond hope they don’t go over the top radical just for the sake of trying to do something unique.  There are some people, and maybe you are in this category...that no name exists that will be good enough to replace a name that stood for 87 years.  I get that.  There will be a time many years from now when the new branding is all that people know.  I think aside from the colors all ties to the past need to be left there.   

5 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Warthogs is terrible.  There isn’t a team in existence called the Warthogs and for good reason.  The Cardinals is used in NFL & MLB, Jets in NFL & NHL, Giants in NFL & MLB.  So what Warriors is used in NBA?  It’s a damn good sports team name.  Much better than the damn Red Wolves.

• Haha 1

On 1/1/2021 at 8:35 AM, LetThePointsSoar said:

Feel really strongly about keeping the colors, and the fight song, but against branding anything DC locally related. 

Trying to brand with something DC related made sense for the Wizard and Nationals because they don't have the fanbase that we have. I would love to know what % of our fanbase doesn't live in DC or has ever even lived there. My guess would be at least 40%.  The moment you brand it DC related, you immediately alienate almost half your fanbase. 

I became a Redskins fan like many, BECAUSE I'm a Native American and there is still a large portion of us who fall in that camp.  This is not the place to rehash the name change argument, but it's why I still feel like RedWolves is the only right answer. It at least gives that group of us the slightest of nods to retain a portion of NA culture without anything that could ever be considered offensive by the cancel culture crowd. 

Just my thoughts. 

I really do appreciate your post.  Of all the people I feel the worst for in this situation are the Native American fans who had no problem with the name and identified with the team precisely because of the name.  Once the sponsors started pulling out there was nothing that could be done to fight town hall any longer.  Sooner or later the writing was on the wall.

However, now that we are starting over with a new brand and identity, the name has to speak to the area the team plays in.  The fans in the DMV are the ones who will be buying most of the tickets and the gear.  If the nationwide fan base chooses to stick with the team, that’s great, but before any other group the team needs to appeal to the locals first and foremost.  Most of our fans won’t fly in from other parts of the country every Sunday to watch the game.

Warriors is not a damn good sports name, it is the sports name you use when you've given up.  It's barely better than Wildcat

If we're going to use a name that others sports teams use let's just bite the bullet and be the Capitals or Nationals

I wish the Washington Generals weren't the Globetrotters perenial losers or that the Federals hadn't sucked in the USFL

Justice is the one singular idea name I could get behind

I kind of like the idea of paying tribute to the past but Washington Hogs just doesn't sound right, and stretching it in any way sounds like you're trying to hard

4 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

How about something fresh and original.... like the Washington Rough Riders?

“Rough Riders” are attached to historical figures that could be criticized.  Teddy Roosevelt said some things during his life that today would be considered “culturally insensitive” at best and “racist” at worst.  We don’t want to glorify the wrong kinds of people do we?  See why I’m so dug in on Warriors. Warriors are everyone and no one in particular.  Warriors are safe and after what we just went through as a fan base safe is wonderful.  I want a name that can’t have any legitimate criticism levied against it.  I never want to have to go through anything like that again, to include my kids who I’m raising to root for this team. 

13 minutes ago, carex said:

Warriors is not a damn good sports name, it is the sports name you use when you've given up.  It's barely better than Wildcat

If we're going to use a name that others sports teams use let's just bite the bullet and be the Capitals or Nationals

I wish the Washington Generals weren't the Globetrotters perenial losers or that the Federals hadn't sucked in the USFL

I kind of like the idea of paying tribute to the past but Washington Hogs just doesn't sound right, and stretching it in any way sounds like you're trying to hard

Thats why I was thinking Warthogs. Washington warthogs has the alliteration, and can just call them Hogs like we do with the ‘skins. 

3 hours ago, Painkiller said:

U make a great case. Of all names already taken, 'Warriors' would be the best to bite.

15 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

....that’s great, but before any other group the team needs to appeal to the locals first..

"Washington" does that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Thats why I was thinking Warthogs. Washington warthogs has the alliteration, and can just call them Hogs like we do with the ‘skins. 

and that's why I said that stretching it in anyways comes across as trying to hard

2 hours ago, Painkiller said:

No.

No it does not.

And I don't want anything in our name that has " wart " or " tails " in it.

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

in order of preferance:

1. Warriors - uni below with a Spartan style spear on the helmet like the 60's uni. What's old is new again.

2. Warriors - current uni adding a Spartan style spear on the helmet. No helmet stripes.

3. Redwolves - uni below with a wolf logo on the helmet.

4. Redwolves - 2019 uni replacing NA head logo in circle with a wolf logo. No helmet stripes.

I really like the uni's below and would've liked to see them as the norm even without a name change. The name is not a hill I am willing to die on. Time to move on but I do want the tradition of the old / current colors (burgundy / gold) to stay. 

www.washingtonjourney.com has done an ok job at showing fan submissions. I am a little disappointed overall with what I've seen. But that is probably because it is not what I have described, what I like. Imagine that. 

NA's  do not own the use of an arrow or spear as logos so either would work on the helmet. I chose the Spartan style spear to include a yellow ribbon hanging off to replace the feather of the 60's logo.

I will not purchase WFT gear. I did get 3 (me and 2 sons) draft day hats right before all this went down so that is pretty cool. I wore my old gear on game days (Ft. Worth, TX).

HTTR forever, regardless of name. But Redwolves does allow marketing dept. to keep hashtag in place. 

HTTR

See the source image

1 hour ago, bentskin said:

in order of preferance:

1. Warriors - uni below with a Spartan style spear on the helmet like the 60's uni. What's old is new again.

2. Warriors - current uni adding a Spartan style spear on the helmet. No helmet stripes.

www.washingtonjourney.com has done an ok job at showing fan submissions. I am a little disappointed overall with what I've seen.

I will not purchase WFT gear.

I’m down with the spear.  Use the current W and put a spear straight through the middle or something.  Crossed spears emblazoned over the W.  Any of these could work.  The best looking uniform this team has ever had in my opinion was the 70th Anniversary from 2002, which itself was a throwback to the 60’s style.  

I’m with you also on purchasing WFT gear.  I did buy one of the commemorative coins for the NFC east championship. (I’m a coin guy) but I won’t be buying anything else.  I don’t feel that WFT is a fully realized branding and looks just like it was meant to...temporary.

As for the featured fan submissions...some are just strange and totally impractical.

Edited by Painkiller

2 hours ago, carex said:

Warriors is fine.  Wizards is pathetic.  Red Wolves would be worse.

28 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Warriors is fine.  Wizards is pathetic.  Red Wolves would be worse.

Warriors is not fine.  I didn't mention Wizards.  Red Wolves would be worse.  None of the names with red in them work for me

2 hours ago, carex said:

Warriors is not fine.  I didn't mention Wizards.  Red Wolves would be worse.  None of the names with red in them work for me

Other than Washington Justice what options do you like mentioned or unmentioned?  If you had final say what would you choose?

Generals is too on the nose Military, and that will piss off those who despise America’s foreign policies.  

Federals won’t work where many of the residents want DC statehood and that will be seen as an affront to their wishes.  

We agree that “red” anything is too desperate.

Edited by Painkiller