Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

jskins11

12 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

When I think it’s no longer in my power to influence opinions I will stop.  At least if the name ends up being something I despise I can say I tried.

I don't think anything said on this board on the subject is going to make any difference whatsoever in terms of the name ultimately chosen. Except for the opinions I express. They will definitely tilt the scales in favor of "Redwolves." 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dissident2 said:

I don't think anything said on this board on the subject is going to make any difference whatsoever in terms of the name ultimately chosen. Except for the opinions I express. They will definitely tilt the scales in favor of "Redwolves." 

I’ve been active on Facebook and Twitter also.  Trying to fight the good fight 😉

13 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I am a Warrior for Warriors 😁

Washington will have the Wizards, the Mystics and the Warriors. hmmmmm Sounds like Game of Thrones. lol

• Like 1

I have a feeling that we are the RedWolves before the season begins. 

HOOOWWWWWWLLLLL!

4 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I’ve been active on Facebook and Twitter also.  Trying to fight the good fight 😉

That's the RedWolves spirit! Go Get um! Hoowwlll!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

HOOOWWWWWWLLLLL!

Boooooooo! 

24CB5D7A-E341-467D-8241-16B10B84D19A.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

HOOOWWWWWWLLLLL!

Get ready for disappointment.

Warrior Nation is coming.  

41 minutes ago, max21 said:

If they do all this just to keep it WFT I’ll fight Dan Snyder’s whole family 

For me that would be the one of the worst possible outcomes.  

Trying to pick between Redwolves and Football Team is like trying to decide which leg I would rather have amputated. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

HOOOWWWWWWLLLLL!

I think it will be as good as locked in stone a couple weeks into the season, provided MD allows respectable fan attendance this fall.

Due to Redwolves popularity, I am confident we can get tens of thousands of people howling with even a 50,000 limited capacity crowd.

That is a vocal so strong the TV announcers will have to make note of it. The radio announcers as well. You'll see it all over social media, and covered by the talking heads the next day. We can quickly change the national narrative from "When will Washington change their name" to "When will Washington make Redwolves official"

All this would have already gone down last season, but Pandemic had other plans.

Once we shake the stadium like that, there will be no amount of upper management hand waving that can point to any other option being the overwhelmingly favorite. It will be out in the open, for everyone to see. An entire stadium, in unison, planting a proverbial flag. It will be glorious.  It will also set up a cool story where we as a fanbase demanded this name, and made it happen. E-60 written all over it.

God help us all if we have an early nationally televised home game, or one that is close and our team is doing well so a sizeable contingent makes the trip. If we get a howl going on national TV, its all over. Call the ref to stop the fight unless you want to see a corpse.

This will be publicity no other name will be able to match. We can force our name into the social space. Can't wait for games to start.

AAAAWWWWOOOOOO!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, zskins said:

Why not Washington Werewolves? :D

No red in the name. ;)

I’m fine with Wolves.  I truly find the Redwolves or else crowd amusing.  These same people also said they would leave if the name was changed.  😄

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Plan only works if you already have a metric ton onboard.

That part is done. Now we just need a venue.

You are arguably the majority but not everybody agrees with you.  In fact many flat out despise that name.  

However, Wolves is a compromise and I’m on board. 

6 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I am a Warrior for Warriors 😁

WHICH warrior? Because it has to be a specific warrior for the fans to connect with. Anything with Knights or Centurions or even colonial guards is gonna be hard for the whole fanbase to connect with. Choosing today's military can be political. And showing just a landscape of DC with a vague idea of warrior not only fails to connect with fans, but also becomes a copycat of Golden State. LOL
With Warriors, we are technically carrying on the Redskins occupation.
At least with Wolves you see what it is and you know what it does. It would carry on the Redskins "spirit". And the symbolism of a wolf can be expressed in this way:

Hunger! Opportunity! Wisdom! Loyalty!
Howl for all DC!

17 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I mean.... a one sided argument is still an argument I guess...

I’m not convinced that Twitter and Facebook speak for the majority.  I also see that in the DC Dangerous poll the Warriors most consistently placed in the top 5, and Redwolves was disliked enough that 15.4 percent placed it last out of 16 options... to include the current no name name.  Many of the fans I know don’t have a social media presence...at least not like we do.  (They don’t live and breath this stuff) None of them like Redwolves.  If that’s not a demographic that the team is concerned with than it is what it is.  

1 hour ago, DCdangerous said:

WHICH warrior? Because it has to be a specific warrior for the fans to connect with.

I don’t believe that at all. Warriors does not have to be any one group, in fact, I believe that a strength of that name is that it is ambiguous...unless a specific style of Warrior is chosen. 

See my profile pic, the current W logo and the name is Warriors.  A Warrior can be anyone who is fighting a “battle” of any kind for any reason.  Anyone can identify with that brand.     

2 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I don’t believe that at all. Warriors does not have to be any one group, in fact, I believe that a strength of that name is that it is ambiguous...unless a specific style of Warrior is chosen. 

See my profile pic, the current W logo and the name is Warriors.  A Warrior can be anyone who is fighting a “battle” of any kind for any reason.  Anyone can identify with that brand.     

Ambiguous only works with names like Chargers, and Browns. You can't explain those names for a team unless you are a fan. But not deciding on a specific warrior makes it the WFT of legit team names. A name with no actual identity.

And many teams have the letter on their helmet but still have a name of something that is specific.
BTW, 99% of the NFL names similar to MLB name actually started in the same city as those MLB teams. And way back in the early days of football when they latch onto baseball identity due to it as the more popular sport at the time. No recent team in the last few decades used a name identical to one from another sport team.

I will tolerate the name Warriors if chosen, but they will have to really focus on which warrior they will use as a brand.

@DCdangerous

On this we will just have to disagree.  For me, Warriors works because unlike Redskins a single group of people is not singled out.  Warriors is a name that is broadly applicable.  Warriors can be everyone and no one in particular, and that’s a good thing in this predicament we find ourselves in.  

Also, for gods sake WHO CARES that a NBA team is also called the Warriors?  Why is that at all relevant to this discussion about a team that plays in a different league?  Redwolves fans are also completely ignoring (or ignorant of) the fact that somebody already owns that trademark (Arkansas State) and doesn’t play nice when somebody else decides to use it...even a semi pro soccer team in Chattanooga. 

Also, on the other hand, like I’ve said I’m fine with Wolves by itself.  I will howl with the best of them if that’s the name.  I just don’t want Red in the name.  RED in the name sucks if it’s not Redskins...for me it’s that simple.  

3 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I’m fine with Wolves.  I truly find the Redwolves or else crowd amusing.  These same people also said they would leave if the name was changed.  😄

I know I did a list that started with the word red (that's because red is my favorite color :) ). But in reality I will support whatever name is chosen, if one is chosen that is. As for Red wolves: Red wolves are extremely shy and timid animals. Don't think we want a name associated with timid and shy. Need something that has a better meaning and a fight to it.

Warriors is not bad but there is a basketball team with the same name. I think the name has to be unique and not borrowed and at the same time has a pride to it. 

Edited by zskins

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_State_Red_Wolves_football

“A panel selecting the new nickname first narrowed the list down to twelve finalists: A's, Black Wolves, Red Wolves, Diamonds, Express, Mallards, Mustangs, Red Dragons, Red Storm, Ridge Runners, Ridge Riders and Thunderbirds.”

Good grief, no wonder they ended up with Red Wolves if this was this 12 name set of options.  

All make good collegiate names though.  

Edited by Painkiller

4 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

“A panel selecting the new nickname first narrowed the list down to twelve finalists: A's, Black Wolves, Red Wolves, Diamonds, Express, Mallards, Mustangs, Red Dragons, Red Storm, Ridge Runners, Ridge Riders and Thunderbirds.”

Good grief, no wonder they ended up with Red Wolves if this was this 12 name set of options.  

All make good collegiate names though.  

Dragons but not Red Dragons could work but like you said too collegiate. If they are thinking of dragons then just do Godzilla or King Kong instead. :D

The way the team has been: Washington Monkeys works really as well...lol.

Edited by zskins