Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

First thing in that vid was a replay of Schefty letting the world know WFT is a temp name. That speaks volumes to me.

If you are trying to push that narrative, you don't strengthen the stance against it.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

and this right here is in my opinion the best Wolves design I have seen.  How can you not like this one?  If they went with this I am all in 100%.

Not a fan of that W but it’s not too bad as a fan mock-up 

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

First thing in that vid was a replay of Schefty letting the world know WFT is a temp name. That speaks volumes to me.

If you are trying to push that narrative, you don't strengthen the stance against it.

Agreed 100%.  Sometime in 2022 we will have a new name and it won't be Football Team....thank god.      

• Like 1

I also think that they are very serious when they say that fan polls and stacking names against each other will not be the deciding factors in any rebrand, only part of the equation.  I'm encouraged by that statement, because I know that will lead to rational objective thought on the subject.

1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

I also think that they are very serious when they say that fan polls and stacking names against each other will not be the deciding factors in any rebrand, only part of the equation.  I'm encouraged by that statement, because I know that will lead to rational objective thought on the subject.

For a while now, they've been emphasizing that why people like the name they like, is just as important - if not more - than their actual name preference.

It sounds like they're trying to find what some common themes are even among different name suggestions, and go with something they think best represents those things.

• Like 1

@Spearfeather

Yup, and now I’m starting to believe them.  I am starting to feel much better as it seems adults are in the room on this thing.  I feel like when it’s all said and done things like picking a name because we can keep an acronym, or because sounds like the old one will end up being minor factors in the big picture.

Bottom line, this is being done for the long haul, not just appeasing this generation of fans.  

And on that note...why am I so all in on Warriors?

When I hear Warriors, I think of the following: Courage, Honor, Fortitude, Strength, Power, Resilience, and Discpline.  Brothers and Sisters fighting for a common goal.  

Warriors are people who overcome incredible odds to achieve their dreams.  Warriors are people who continue to fight against impossible odds.    

What other name could be as appropriate for the team that plays in the Nations Capitol?  

No other name to me exudes all those in one word.  

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

@Spearfeather

Yup, and now I’m starting to believe them.  I am starting to feel much better as it seems adults are in the room on this thing.  I feel like when it’s all said and done things like picking a name because we can keep an acronym, or because sounds like the old one will end up being minor factors in the big picture.

Bottom line, this is being done for the long haul, not just appeasing this generation of fans.  

Yeah, but I think this statement by Wright says a lot about the direction they're going.

“It’s important for a substantial part of our fan base to feel that this is a continuation of something vs. a complete reset, something brand new.”

6 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Yeah, but I think this statement by Wright says a lot about the direction they're going.

I don’t necessarily think that means pick a name so HTTR stays, or we must have name with Red in it though.  I think the color scheme of burgundy and gold for certain, but it could also be in the look and feel of the brand not just the name.  For me a 70th style uniform with a non-descript spear or W, and adopting the name Warriors would certainly be a natural continuation of what is familiar.  Those 70th anniversary jerseys in 2002 sold like hot cakes.  For years people were still wearing them in the stadium.   

1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

And on that note...why am I so all in on Warriors?

When I hear Warriors, I think of the following: Courage, Honor, Fortitude, Strength, Power, Resilience, and Discpline.  Brothers and Sisters fighting for a common goal.  

Warriors are people who overcome incredible odds to achieve their dreams.  Warriors are people who continue to fight against impossible odds.    

What other name could be as appropriate for the team that plays in the Nations Capitol?  

No other name to me exudes all those in one word.  

There are other values that Wolves can represent. Hunger. Opportunity. Wisdom. Loyalty.

Wolves can achieve the 3 goals of a rebrand:

Maintain: (Redskins link) NA spirit animal

Preserve: (rivalry) IRL cowboys protect cattle from wolves; (neighboring team) ravens and wolves hunt together 

Strengthen: wolves are fierce and all about family and teamwork. 
#AlphaTeam

I even made a manifesto explaining why Wolves is the best name. Mark Tiller of Hogs Haven liked it so much that he personally sent it to Jason Wright!
https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/2/3/22264355/of-all-the-name-choices-for-washington-wolves-should-be-the-leader-of

Oh BTW, I a
ctually have here the spreadsheet of the ranking poll data for others to view. For more specific stats.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qiyna8g0ms4hf6h/RANKED POLL WSH_FINAL.xlsx?dl=0

Edited by DCdangerous
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, DCdangerous said:

Good stuff.

Between Redwolves, Wolves, and Wolfpack, I'm loving all the buzz surrounding names of the canid ilk.  Scary thing is we have only scraped the iceberg. The NFL has recently opened the door halfway for playing our Ace, then its all over.

1 hour ago, DCdangerous said:

There are other values that Wolves can represent. Hunger. Opportunity. Wisdom. Loyalty.

Preserve: (rivalry) IRL cowboys protect cattle from wolves; (neighboring team) ravens and wolves hunt together 

#AlphaTeam

I appreciate your passion for this.  I share the same passion we just differ slightly on our top choice.  If Wolves should be chosen, not Red...just Wolves I will be very content.  For me it’s Warriors and Wolves.  If Wolves, absolutely use the Red Wolf for marketing, but leave it out of the name.  

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DCdangerous said:

#AlphaTeam

I even made a manifesto explaining why Wolves is the best name. Mark Tiller of Hogs Haven liked it so much that he personally sent it to Jason Wright!
https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/2/3/22264355/of-all-the-name-choices-for-washington-wolves-should-be-the-leader-of

Oh BTW, I a
ctually have here the spreadsheet of the ranking poll data for others to view. For more specific stats.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qiyna8g0ms4hf6h/RANKED POLL WSH_FINAL.xlsx?dl=0

I far prefer Redwolves, but I could live with "Wolves." I would say "wolves" for sure if it wasn't for the fact that Red wolves are real and are in danger of extinction. In fact, they're labeled "critically endangered." If it was just adding "Red" for the sake of adding "Red," then no. But the more I've come to learn about the actual Red Wolf, the more I truly appreciate these animals as well as their plight. How cool to have the name of your team be something that actually HELPS the entity it represents? I didn't even know this species of wolf existed before the name discussion, and I'm sure many others didn't, either. The moron that is Snyder could actually do some good by helping to replenish the Red Wolf population through this choice. Any other name (other than perhaps "Red Tails") is just a name. This is far more than that. 

If someone likes "Wolves," why a problem with "Red Wolves"? That I don't get, considering the fact that it's not akin to "Blue Devils" or "Green Vipers" or whatever other fake name you want to throw in there. It's far more unique and specialized, and the nod to the past is welcome, but not forced. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/14/red-wolves-washington-team-name/

“It would mean a lot of the country would suddenly hear something about the story of this animal, and that’s what the red wolf needs,” Sutherland said in a phone interview. “You’ve got this incredibly dire conservation going on right now, and people don’t even know about it. I think it would bring recognition to the red wolf.”

Edited by Dissident2

@Dissident2

For me, I have a problem with Redwolves for the following reasons...

1.) The color part of the old name was the main problem with that name.  Picking another name that has Red in it seems to be dancing around the issue again.  If the team hadn’t been called Redskins in the past, I am very certain Redwolves would not be under consideration.

2.) No other NFL team has a name structured that way, and to me it doesn’t sound right when used in conjunction with the other Team names.  

3.) Choosing a name with Red in it even though Redwolves do actually exist will come off  as a pale comparison to the nearly 90 year history of the previous Red name.  

4.) If the choice is Wolves everything that people want to do or think is cool about Redwolves can still be done.  Redwolves can still be part of the package through marketing and presentation, ans we don’t have to concern ourselves with accusations that the organization could not fully move on from Redskins.

My 2 cents   

Also, for those who would say the name Washington Wolves doesn’t roll off the tongue quite as easily as Washington Redwolves, that’s because the name used to be Washington Redskins.  The Name with the R is why it seems more comfortable, because that is what we are used to.  Most of the time people would just say Wolves anyway.  “I’m going to the Wolves game.”  “I’m going to watch the Wolves play today.”  

neither works as well as Washington Warriors though 😄

Edited by Painkiller
9 minutes ago, burgngold fan said:

Why!  What makes warriors better than wolves!   Because you say so.  Personally I think the other way around.  

That’s cool...opinions...we all have them.  Some of us are more vocal than others.  

1.) The color part of the old name was the main problem with that name.  Picking another name that has Red in it seems to be dancing around the issue again.  If the team hadn’t been called Redskins in the past, I am very certain Redwolves would not be under consideration.

To which I say, respectfully, "So what?" Again, if it's forced and for no good reason, I understand not forcing "red" in there. I wouldn't want that either. But when the opportunity presents itself in such a fortuitous way to actually keep "Red" in the name for a VERY good reason, I don't see any drawbacks to that whatsoever. I love it, actually. 

2.) No other NFL team has a name structured that way, and to me it doesn’t sound right when used in conjunction with the other Team names.  

Again, not even a remote concern for me as to what other NFL teams do. That said: 

"Washington Redwolves", "Seattle Seahawks." As I said, I couldn't care less, but ... there is a precedent for a team name where the city has three syllables and the animal name for the mascot has an adjective in front of it that sets it apart from a larger species. But again, why should this be a concern? Why would we not want to be unique?

3.) Choosing a name with Red in it even though Redwolves do actually exist will come off  as a pale comparison to the nearly 90 year history of the previous Red name.  

That's hardly a blanket statement and definitely does not apply to me. I'm a nostalgic kind of guy anyway. Again, I think it works beautifully. While I don't want "Red" forced into the situation, I'm passionate about this usage. It's the only name that moves me in any way. 

4.) If the choice is Wolves everything that people want to do or think is cool about Redwolves can still be done.  Redwolves can still be part of the package through marketing and presentation, ans we don’t have to concern ourselves with accusations that the organization could not fully move on from Redskins.

The latter (accusations that we can't fully move on) is of absolutely no concern to me if I love the name, which I do in this case. And I disagree. Going with "Wolves" utterly diminishes the whole conservation aspect of naming the team "Redwolves." Further, what you're proposing violates every branding rule. You don't go with "Wolves" and then say, "but, hey, we're really focusing on the RED wolves." That's just confusing. If they go with Wolves over "Redwolves," the latter will disappear in relation to the team name over time. 

Also, for those who would say the name Washington Wolves doesn’t roll off the tongue quite as easily as Washington Redwolves, that’s because the name used to be Washington Redskins.  The Name with the R is why it seems more comfortable, because that is what we are used to.  Most of the time people would just say Wolves anyway.  “I’m going to the Wolves game.”  “I’m going to watch the Wolves play today.”  

Could be a truth to that. People would get used to "Wolves" if they had to. But people used to say, "I'm going to watch the 'Skins play," and everyone knew they meant "Redskins." So, you can still call them "Wolves" if "Redwolves" is the official name. Everyone is happy!

My 2 cents   

That figure has got to be around 200,000,000 cents at this point! Probably close to that for both of us, lol. 

And just think, only months more of this worn-out discussion ahead! 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

@Dissident2

For me, I have a problem with Redwolves for the following reasons...

My 2 cents   

neither works as well as Washington Warriors though 😄

For #2 in your list, you are right that the NFL doesn't, but many other major sports do have names structured similarly.

Blue Jays, Red Sox, White Sox, and the argument could be made that Timberwolves and Seahawks are also 'structured' similarly.

If you include College names; Blue Devils, RedHawks, Yellow Jackets,  Golden Bears, Red Raiders, etc...

7 minutes ago, Rocket442Olds said:

For #2 in your list, you are right that the NFL doesn't, but many other major sports do have names structured similarly.

Blue Jays, Red Sox, White Sox, and the argument could be made that Timberwolves and Seahawks are also 'structured' similarly.

If you include College names; Blue Devils, RedHawks, Yellow Jackets,  Golden Bears, Red Raiders, etc...

Yes, but I don’t want collegiate or a name that sounds like a baseball team.  Besides, we all know that Seahawks is the dumbest name for an NFL team anyway.

We aren’t just hawks, we are hawks from the Sea.  😄

45 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

And just think, only months more of this worn-out discussion ahead! 

When I think it’s no longer in my power to influence opinions I will stop.  At least if the name ends up being something I despise I can say I tried.