Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

54 minutes ago, DCF said:

I wouldn't put it past a guy that allegedly puts out bots/fake accounts to pump up favorable news stories about himself, to also have a hand in having people out there throw polls towards that ridiculous name

Then he should ask for his money back. While there have been articles from people feeding of anything coming from Jason Wright, (which does not require any kind of payment/scheme as it would happen regardless) I have yet to see large scale fan support, either real or fake in any meaningful manner.

It is universally outnumbered in polling, comment sections and discussions.

If there are people out there who are employed to present fake popularity for the WFT name option, they suck at their job.

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Then he should ask for his money back. While there have been articles from people feeding of anything coming from Jason Wright, (which does not require any kind of payment/scheme as it would happen regardless) I have yet to see large scale fan support, either real or fake in any meaningful manner.

It is universally outnumbered in polling, comment sections and discussions.

If there are people out there who are employed to present fake popularity for the WFT name option, they suck at their job.

I think in part they suck at it because they're starting to discover there's virtually no real support for it to drum up. However I also think it's more about gathering "proof" to present later as support. As in when the announcement comes "here's some cherry picked posts from Washington Journey, and here's some screen grabs of polls showing how much people want it".

I hope I'm wrong, but the amount of times the team (straight from the top) has suggested the name WFT could stay, is pretty worrisome to me. It's not something any rebranding teams do, it's not something fans want or have asked for, yet they keep pushing it as an option over and over. There is absolutely no reason that name should be under serious consideration, and yet it is. If there is no huge fan support for it, and it's such a terrible placeholder name, who is making it a serious contender?? The owner despises the fact we lost the name, and there's a minority opinion that feel keeping WFT preserves that name, and sticks it to the ones that made it change.

I don't think it should be downplayed how far the WFT name has made it in the running with virtually no support. Somebody wants that name enough that the team keeps pushing it as an option, and all signs point to the owner. I'm a little surprised people don't see this WFT name option as the red flag that I do, but I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 3

@ dcf have to say I've felt the same way since JW started preaching that ****!!  And it turns my stomach every dam time.  I rarely get pissed off about anything that happens that out of my control. But this does.  

Think the writing on the wall!  And when it becomes official.  I'm gonna consider it a big fu to the loyal fans that's followed the team for the past 50 years..  that I may just have too say   fu back!  

• Like 2

I think WFT is a dumb permanent name, full stop.

But if it’s the permanent name, everyone will start calling us “the Team” ironically and to make fun of us, initially. That said, if “the Team” is successful over time, I could see how calling us “the Team” could be similar to how U of Miami is “the U.”

When people ask who you are a fan of you would say, “the Team” and they would instantly know.

I want Red Wolves, Wolves or Warriors.

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I think WFT is a dumb permanent name, full stop.

But if it’s the permanent name, everyone will start calling us “the Team” ironically and to make fun of us, initially. That said, if “the Team” is successful over time, I could see how calling us “the Team” could be similar to how U of Miami is “the U.”

When people ask who you are a fan of you would say, “the Team” and they would instantly know.

I want Red Wolves, Wolves or Warriors.

I can see what you mean, but it also reduces us to a "who's on first" punchline. Also as mentioned previously I just think having the name "Football Team" constantly begs the question as to why we're the only team in all of USA major sports called 'Team'. The placeholder name itself is a constant reminder to all that we have no real name solely because of the controversial previous one. It's a name that forever brings up that we're unique directly because of a reluctance to move on from something that will only be seen as more offensive over time. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, burgngold fan said:

@ dcf have to say I've felt the same way since JW started preaching that ****!!  And it turns my stomach every dam time.  I rarely get pissed off about anything that happens that out of my control. But this does.  

Think the writing on the wall!  And when it becomes official.  I'm gonna consider it a big fu to the loyal fans that's followed the team for the past 50 years..  that I may just have too say   fu back!  

I agree, every time the team brings it up it sounds rehearsed as if there's been discussions to mention it publicly as an option. I don't just mean keeping it as an option on the list, I mean being sure to let the public know that this name is in contention over and over again. These aren't off the cuff comments that just happen in a void without intent. Donaldson and Wright would not keep bringing this up without reason, and they have no reason from fans, sponsors, or anyone else. Every time I hear them remind us that it could remain permanent, it's a further indication that they not only have it as a possibility, but more importantly that they want us to know they have it as one.

• Like 1
On 4/1/2021 at 5:22 PM, DCdangerous said:

If that name is the worst one, you can rank it in my rank poll!

I’m going to rank it as the worst name I’ve ever heard. 

Personally, I would like to see a few more of the featured fan submissions for Washington Warriors on the washingtonjourney page.  On Facebook, Twitter, and just from google searches I have seen some amazing designs by many people who support that name.  The only featured fan submission for that name does not have a design, only a well written opinion from Dwight Manis on why that name is a great choice for the organization.  There are several Redwolves and one Wolves (The Wolves design is far and away the best of that Redwolves/Wolves style by the way)

I would like the people to see as much of what is out there for that name as possible.

After several days and +600 participants, I now present to you the results from my ranking poll of 18 WSH name choices. Here are an overall 3D bar graph, top 5 bar graph and ranking average of all 18 names!
#redtails #Redwolves #DCWarriors #WashingtonFootball #warhogs #redhawks

426607359_ScreenShot2021-04-05at1_19_23AM.png.39c7e183f3d853dd22f0c324d5ff27ba.png103476761_ScreenShot2021-04-05at1_18_59AM.thumb.png.51ade8b1f88dadcd1c170202a76a2002.png51008622_ScreenShot2021-04-05at1_18_38AM.png.709759653092a7c861716e268aed76cd.png
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Well Redwolves had the most number 1 votes for sure, but if I was the organization I would definitely look at how the support for that name dips considerably if it’s not the 1st or 2nd choice.  Redwolves is a name you either love or hate, there appears to be little middle ground.  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Well Redwolves had the most number 1 votes for sure, but if I was the organization I would definitely look at how the support for that name dips considerably if it’s not the 1st or 2nd choice.  Redwolves is a name you either love or hate, there appears to be little middle ground.  

Anything with red or wolf took the top 3of 4. Warriors (which obviously isn't happening) did well though. 

I'd rather the rhinos.

20 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Anything with red or wolf took the top 3of 4. Warriors (which obviously isn't happening) did well though. 

I'd rather the rhinos.

I know, and I’d rather be the DC Seals than Redwolves.  😁

However, we find common ground on Wolves.  I still think Warriors is the name that most people would rally behind even if it’s not their first choice.  By far the most balanced placement in the poll.  All those first and second place votes and the best average Redwolves could get is 6th.  Pretty telling.  

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I know, and I’d rather be the DC Seals than Redwolves.  😁

However, we find common ground on Wolves.  

What kind of wolf is native to the area?

I'll cuddle that mascot.

Being from Philly, despite having the two best mascots, don't get to say that a lot.

Wolves, redwolves, whatever, perfect marketing mascot

Bit of a breakdown of top performers in DCdangerous poll.

(Excuse the quick math)

33.9% of voters have Redwolves at 1st choice

Warriors – 18.5%

Wolves 7.7%

21.6% of voters have Wolves as 2nd choice

Redwolves - 12.3%

Hogs – 8.5%

Warriors – 7.7%

52% of voters have Redwolves in top 3

Wolves – 38.5%

Warriors - 37%

64% of voters have Redwolves in top 5

Warriors - 52.4%

Wolves – 49.3%

15.4% of voters have Redwolves in last place votes (Looks to be about 100 voters, hard to tell. No other top name is close)

Interesting insights among top finishers

-More than half of all voters have Redwolves ranked in their top 3. No other name is close (38.5% being the closest)

-Due to Redwolves having more 2nd place votes than Wolves having 1st place, and Wolves having less 2nd place votes than Redwolves has first place, Wolves name supporters are probably more likely to openly/willingly embrace a RedWolves nickname than the other way around. Otherwise we would probably see the inverse of the Redwolves 2 spot, and wolves 1 spot. (can’t tell that by this poll alone, but it would explain this data we are seeing here) It is very likely and probably plausible that the majority of Redwolves/Wolves fans would be happy with either or, this was just an interesting insight I saw from this lone set of data.

-If we only look at first place votes, Redwolves has greater than 1/3rd of all votes. No other name has more than 1/5th

-Redwolves has more first place votes than the other top 5 combined.

-50%+ of voters support one of Redwolves or Warriors as #1 choice. Majority of voters

-60% of voters support one of Redwolves, Warriors or Wolves as #1 choice. Almost 2/3rds of voters

Update: Next to nobody is in favor of scoring a Seal Team 6 rather than a TD. Boo

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2

The video the team releases for the branding journey tonight at 8 p.m. should be interesting.  I would be totally stoked with Warriors or Wolves, nothing I have seen has changed that opinion.  I will say that forcing the issue and having anything "red" in our name is going to be a polarizing issue and cause additional controversy whether people want to admit this or not.  Most of the fan base may not care that this will happen, but this fan does care.  I want a name that right out of the gate sounds worthy and aggressive, and beyond any ridiculous criticism that pundits, journalists, or assholes in general want to rain down on us.

I also think that there is clearly very little interest in the fanbase at large to having WFT remain.  Letting it stay did better than I thought it would in the poll, but it's nowhere near the top 5.          

14 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Bit of a breakdown of top performers in DCdangerous poll.

15.4% of voters have Redwolves in last place votes (Looks to be about 100 voters, hard to tell. No other top name is close)

Good job.  I think it definitely paints a good picture that it really comes down to Redwolves, Wolves, and Warriors.  I do also think that 15.4 percent in last for Redwolves is important, and I hope that somebody with clout is paying attention.  The fact that so many voted it down to last should be a sign that it's not universally loved even though a strong majority is for that name.