Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

jskins11

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Redwings.

Boom. Roasted.

Literally the only reason Redwolves has so many fans is because the team used to be Redskins.  If we were changing from the Washington Hornytoads or the Washington Purple People Eaters the Redwolves would never have appeared on the radar as a viable option.  When the Bullets rebranded...Redwolves didn't show up as an option.  When the Titans rebranded, never saw Redwolves as an option.  When the Browns moved to Baltimore...Redwolves wasn't on the table.  

There is a reason for that...Redwolves is not suitable for an NFL team. 

The new name can't be chosen mainly because it sounds like the old name.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

Literally the only reason Redwolves has so many fans is because the team used to be Redskins.  If we were changing from the Washington Hornytoads or the Washington Purple People Eaters the Redwolves would never have appeared on the radar as a viable option.  When the Bullets rebranded...Redwolves didn't show up as an option.  When the Titans rebranded, never saw Redwolves as an option.  When the Browns moved to Baltimore...Redwolves wasn't on the table.  

There is a reason for that...Redwolves is not suitable for an NFL team. 

The new name can't be chosen mainly because it sounds like the old name.  

I agree with this entirely, which is why Wolves is an actual option people need to consider. Drop the red 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, max21 said:

I agree with this entirely, which is why Wolves is an actual option people need to consider. Drop the red 

You can literally do EVERYTHING people want to do or think is cool about Redwolves with Wolves.  The color scheme remains.  The best looking “Wolf” related idea I’ve seen is the Wolves design by Daniel Hopkins on the Washington Journey website.  Like I said earlier, “Red Wolf” is how you market the team to the kiddies.    

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Does Red Wolves really sound peewee?  I don’t think so.  Not if you do the name justice right?

It sounds collegiate at best and pee wee soccer at worst.  For me the worst part is it sounds like we can’t let go of “Red” in the name so now we are Redwolves instead of Redskins.  

See what we did there? 

Edited by Painkiller

8 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

It sounds collegiate at best and pee wee soccer at worst.  For me the worst part is it sounds like we can’t let go of “Red” in the name so now we are Redwolves instead of Redskins.  

See what we did there? The 

Because people want to keep HTTR

People dig the familiar. All rebrand attempts don't have to shake things up, you can find several that try to remain the same, regardless of controversy.

I think the closest comp is the TB Devil Rays. They chose the familiar, they just dropped the Devil.

People are going to be attached to things in their comfort zone, its human nature. Its one of the reasons RedTails had a bit of momentum as well.

I'm all for RedWolves, and it has a lot going for it beyond what is commonly spouted.

-Military connection

-Geographical connection

-Un-punishable wink to the NA community

-First dog mascot in NFL saturated with other species.

-An already started fan environmental outreach effort to save a critically endangered species would be strengthened 1000 fold. (massive spike in donations to Redwolf conservation efforts from fans who dig this name, helping establish the "good juju" Fitz sees with this team ^^)

-Strong familiarity to previous name, w/o overstepping boundaries.

-By far and away, the most amount of fan support, with daylight so great Usain Bolt would be green w/ envy

-Already the bane of Jason Wright's mortal coil (man must see this name in his sleep at this point)

-Tremendously popular w/ youth, inviting new generations of fans

Everything else is just gravy. The HTTR, the opportunity for an actual mascot, the howling at games (which is great), the fire hydrants in the urinals/troughs. That is a resume that is difficult to beat. I don't see any other team name option even coming close to checking this many boxes.

I can totally see a business guy choosing to widdle it down to Wolves in an attempt to please the most people. RedWolves fans would be happy enough with it, and those that don't like RedWolves would just be happy that isn't the name. Presto! Widest base possible reached.

At the end of the day the name is not what puts respect on your team, its the product. If your looking for a name to give your team a shred of respect, your looking at this backwards. The Packers are literally named after a packing company. Nobody cares.

You can be called the Death Razor Beat-em-ups, but if you play like the Jets, you'll be treated as such. No team name will give you respect. If you suck, it does not matter what your name is. If your great, you put your own respect on your name.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Painkiller said:

Well, it's clear on Facebook Redwolves, Red Wolves is the most popular choice.  I just don't understand why though.  To me it just doesn't sound right.  I just don't see an NFL team name as Red Wolves.  Like I've said before it's juvenile...and it appears that it's exactly what I said it is for people and that's why they want to keep it.  The most common reasons given for choosing that name...  

I keep hearing people say the name is "juvenile." I honestly don't get this. Can someone explain why "Redwolves" is "juvenile" or sounds like a "pee wee" team? It makes absolutely no sense to me. It strikes me as ferocious. Yeah, having "red" in it is a nice nod to the past, but it also rolls off the tongue better than simply "Wolves" to me. I mean ... Colts? Eagles? Cowboys? Giants? Cardinals? Jaguars? Panthers? If you think "Redwolves" is juvenile, what does that make those names? Can you imagine a team being named today and someone suggesting "Cowboys," how that would be received in this day and age? 

Just accept it, all of you. In 10 years, you'll love it and swear that if it ever changes, you'll quit the team.  Look at this beautiful creature. 

image.png.4a6596055aa66fd20604eeeebc7b73ab.png

Edited by Dissident2
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I keep hearing people say the name is "juvenile." I honestly don't get this. Can someone explain why "Redwolves" is "juvenile" or sounds like a "pee wee" team? It makes absolutely no sense to me. It strikes me as ferocious. Yeah, having "red" in it is a nice nod to the past, but it also rolls off the tongue better than simply "Wolves" to me. I mean ... Colts? Eagles? Cowboys? Giants? Cardinals? Jaguars? Panthers? If you think "Redwolves" is juvenile, what does that make those names? Can you imagine a team being named today and someone suggesting "Cowboys," how that would be received in this day and age? 

Just accept it, all of you. In 10 years, you'll love it and swear that if it ever changes, you'll quit the team.  Look at this beautiful creature. 

image.png.4a6596055aa66fd20604eeeebc7b73ab.png

My high school was known as the Green Devils. You definitely see more high schools mixing up colors with animals and other things than you do professional teams. It's not as peewee as something like the "Mighty Wolves" would be, but it still doesn't sound like a professional sports name to me. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

My high school was known as the Green Devils. You definitely see more high schools mixing up colors with animals and other things than you do professional teams. It's not as peewee as something like the "Mighty Wolves" would be, but it still doesn't sound like a professional sports name to me. 

OK, I get that. But "Red Wolves" are real things, unlike (I'm assuming) Green Devils. If there was no such thing as a "Red Wolf," I may be more inclined to agree. 

• Like 2

Redskins

Blue Jays

Blue Jackets

Reds

Browns

Golden Knights

White Sox

Red Sox

Blackhawks

Whether they are named after the color or not, its not even that uncommon a practice across the 4 major sports.

Redwolves would be following a trend

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

OK, I get that. But "Red Wolves" are real things, unlike (I'm assuming) Green Devils. If there was no such thing as a "Red Wolf," I may be more inclined to agree. 

This is true, I like Wolves and having the logo be a red wolf honestly. I think it fits well with the current uniform we have. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Browns

Whether they are named after the color or not, its not even that uncommon a practice across the 4 major sports.

Redwolves would be following a trend

They are the only (current)  NFL (team name) you named and they are named for the man not the color. I don’t want the distinction of being the only NFL team with a color in their name. For me it’s really as simple as that, it doesn’t fit at this level.

@Football Zombie

Give me Wolves if not Warriors and I am 100% on board.  Just not RedWolves, Redwolves, or Red Wolves.  

Wolves for a name with a Red Wolf for a mascot.  

Edited by Painkiller
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

They are the only NFL you named and they are names for the man not the color. I don’t want the distinction of being the only NFL team with a color in their name. For me it’s really as simple as that, it doesn’t fit at this level.

@Football Zombie

Give me Wolves if not Warriors and I am 100% on board.  Just not RedWolves, Redwolves, or Red Wolves.  

Wolves for a name with a Red Wolf for a mascot.  

I also named Redskins. That's 2 NFL teams

and if you name your team Redwolves you are naming them after a real species of wolf, not a color. It is not describing a "red" wolf, but an exact species of wolf.

In the same way the Browns are named after a guy, the Redwolves would be named after a wolf. Neither would be named after a color. Its the same process.

I understand a lot of people will associate it with a color, the same way many outside of the know do with the Browns, but if you want to create an exemption b/c they are named after a guy, then that same leeway has to be given to a team named after an animal that happens to have a color in its name, be it Blue Jay, Black Panthers or Red Wolves. 

• Like 1

I am fully on board with a rebranding from Washington to DC. DC would better reflect the uniqueness of the area. But I am not from the area so I don’t know what the locals think. Growing up as a young fan, I initially thought the team was from Washington state and I’m sure I was not the only person to do so. Having a team from DC would leave no doubt. 

Having said that, the fact that the C directly connects with Christopher Columbus and his dubious past, I wonder if a rebranding of “DC” is in the future?! Maybe we should just stick with Washington! 😀

Just a pick a name and move on.... my favorite color is red by the way....lol

Redserpents
Leviathans
Redsnakes
Redturtles
Redstallions
Redshirts
Redspikes
Redsharks
Redhorses
Redstingers
Redstingrays
Redotters
Redlions
Redtigers
Redcheetas
Redseals
Redleopards
Redkrills
Redcods
Redkraits
Ribbontails
Redpelicans
Redworms
Redsquids
Reddollars
Redflamebacks
Redclams
Bull Sharks
Scorpions
Redclaws
Redcobras
Redcoats
Redpythons
Redtrouts
Redbows
Redarrows
Redbulls
Redbisons
Redrhinos
Redsnakes
Redpandas
Redspiders
Reddarts
Redpumas
Redbeards
Toucans
Redcats
Wildcats

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I also named Redskins. That's 2 NFL teams a color. Its the same process.

I understand a lot of people will associate it with a color, the same way many outside of the know do with the Browns, but if you want to create an exemption b/c they are named after a guy, then that same leeway has to be given to a team named after an animal that happens to have a color in its name, be it Blue Jay, Black Panthers or Red Wolves. 

I get Red Wolves are a real animal, and I personally can live with anything the organization might want to do about using them in the branding EXCEPT for in the name.  Nothing on earth or heaven will get me to buy into the name Redwolves for this team, and in the big picture that might not mean much, but I know I’m not alone.  If they use the name RedWolves I will simply refuse to acknowledge Red and call them Wolves.  I’d rather not have to.

I’d rather the name be Warriors or just Wolves.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RonYoungEra said:

I am fully on board with a rebranding from Washington to DC. DC would better reflect the uniqueness of the area. But I am not from the area so I don’t know what the locals think. Growing up as a young fan, I initially thought the team was from Washington state and I’m sure I was not the only person to do so. Having a team from DC would leave no doubt. 

Having said that, the fact that the C directly connects with Christopher Columbus and his dubious past, I wonder if a rebranding of “DC” is in the future?! Maybe we should just stick with Washington! 😀

D.C. Washingtonians. ;)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I will simply refuse to acknowledge Red and call them Wolves

That’s your right as a fan. There is no one name that will unite everyone. I personally would lock myself into a fetal position if we go Generals. And to be honest, you would be in the majority calling them wolves. The shorthand of a name will be used like 85% of the time anyway so if we do go Redwolves, we will be de-facto wolves.

Who ever goes to a Nationals game? You go see the Nats.

Nobody yells lets go Capitals, they yell Lets go Caps

Os – Same

Wiz – Same

Redskins – almost always the Skins.

If your taking about them- Skins

If your getting tix – Skins tickets

the only people who said Redskins are fans of other teams.

That’s another reason I like Redwolves, it has a built in great 1 syllable shorthand. You get to use both names, and they are both awesome.

• Like 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

And to be honest, you would be in the majority calling them wolves. The shorthand of a name will be used like 85% of the time anyway so if we do go Redwolves, we will be de-facto wolves.

That’s another reason I like Redwolves, it has a built in great 1 syllable shorthand. You get to use both names, and they are both awesome.

so if we know that already, why not just name them Wolves?  Why do we need a shorthand name when we can already see what most are going to do.  

“I’m going to the Wolves vs. Eagles game on Sunday wanna go?”

Sounds fitting.  One word name, and a tough one at that.  There are no Wolves or Warriors in the NFL.

• Like 1