Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

jskins11

Feel really strongly about keeping the colors, and the fight song, but against branding anything DC locally related. 

Trying to brand with something DC related made sense for the Wizard and Nationals because they don't have the fanbase that we have. I would love to know what % of our fanbase doesn't live in DC or has ever even lived there. My guess would be at least 40%.  The moment you brand it DC related, you immediately alienate almost half your fanbase. 

I became a Redskins fan like many, BECAUSE I'm a Native American and there is still a large portion of us who fall in that camp.  This is not the place to rehash the name change argument, but it's why I still feel like RedWolves is the only right answer. It at least gives that group of us the slightest of nods to retain a portion of NA culture without anything that could ever be considered offensive by the cancel culture crowd. 

Just my thoughts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Unless you like repeating your own mistakes there is no way we can utilize a name that will in any way represent a group of people.

There is laughing in the face of death, then there is just spitting in it.

An expansion team, or a new organization can easily get away with a lot of these names, but our new nickname will be under the strictest of microscopes. Minutemen, RedTails (pilots not birds) ect. will not only put us right in the same boat, it would likely increase the backlash as some will view the organization as turning their focus of the appropriation of one culture to another. 

I have to believe the people running the name change show understand that, and how it is in their best interest moving forward to avoid controversy. It will probably be the single largest contributing factor that guides us to our future brand, whatever it is.

I'm with a lot of the others here, gotta keep the B&G along w/ other traditions like the band once we are able.

Interested to see the path the Cleveland former I's take in both timetable and result. I kinda like Cleveland Crows

• Like 1

I feel like some of the options really depended on the new name. If it’s something DC related, like the monuments.. hoo boy I will be upset. Keep the colors, keep the traditions ( band/fight song) keep the football feel of the franchise. That includes the style of branding. There should be an option on whether the name is original to professional sports. Even if it’s odd, an original name brings unity. ( “ Washington wombats? That’s my team! ) originality breeds culture. 

Red Wolves, Warthogs, Warlords, Warships, Worms, Potomacs, etc. 

Generic names ( Warriors, hawks, wildcats) are a wasteful opportunity. 

I miss the fight song. It’s one of the most annoying and frustrating things an opposing fan base and team can deal with when losing. It disturbs me to see the Ravens drummers or the eagles fight song. 

Doesn't matter what name change or what colors change,. Or what new logo is!  I will always wear my redskins gear!!!  Straight up!  

Doesn't matter what name change or what colors change,. Or what new logo is!  I will always wear my redskins gear!!!  Straight up!  

same time!  I will not buy any gear as long as we do not have a name!  Will not support a no name brand!!!!  

same time!  I will not buy any gear as long as we do not have a name!  Will not support a no name brand!!!!  

In order of importance:

1) Colors stay the same (minor tweaking acceptable)

2) Cool logo

3) Name is not generic (i.e. Warriors) - carries some connection to the region, but doesn't feel "fabricated"

4) Don't care much about fight song (it's already gonna change, so...)

5) Don't care if style is classic vs modern, both can be done well

Edited by DiscoBob

2 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

In order of importance:

1) Colors stay the same (minor tweaking acceptable)

2) Cool logo

3) Name is not generic (i.e. Warriors) - carries some connection to the region, but doesn't feel "fabricated"

4) Don't care much about fight song (it's already gonna change, so...)

I 2nd this post!  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

I just don't want something like the Falcons or the Cardinals or anything like that.

You know who crushed it this year with new uniforms ?

The Chargers

See the source image

See the source image

That's a good looking uniform.

I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to uniforms. I'm all for putting a logo on the helmet but if you ask me, this is the best looking uniform we had this year:

See the source image

Edited by Spearfeather
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/1/2021 at 8:35 AM, LetThePointsSoar said:

Feel really strongly about keeping the colors, and the fight song, but against branding anything DC locally related. 

Trying to brand with something DC related made sense for the Wizard and Nationals because they don't have the fanbase that we have. I would love to know what % of our fanbase doesn't live in DC or has ever even lived there. My guess would be at least 40%.  The moment you brand it DC related, you immediately alienate almost half your fanbase. 

I have never lived in DC or the vicinity, but I've been a Redskins fan since the 70s. I'd prefer not to have another team with a regional connection, but it isn't a deal breaker for me, as I've been a Capitals fan since the mid 80s, and a Nationals fan since they started. But I definitely don't want another red, white and blue team.  

• 1 month later...

To be honest, the 2020 season made me realize how little I care whether there is an actual "mascot" to go with the team name and uniform.  WFT is fine by me. The color scheme remained the same, and they still represent the same general area.   I know it isn't going to stay the WFT for much longer, but I wouldn't mind it.  I feel like they should probably look to keep "Red" in the name because of much easier the transition would be. 

Would be cool if they had some kind of buy back/trade-in program for those who have bought merchandise recently. 

My parents bought me a really nice "racist name" jacket that I feel kind of iffy about wearing out now. If there was a way I could trade it in for at least a discount on the same or similar item with the new team name on it? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

To be honest, the 2020 season made me realize how little I care whether there is an actual "mascot" to go with the team name and uniform.  WFT is fine by me. The color scheme remained the same, and they still represent the same general area.   I know it isn't going to stay the WFT for much longer, but I wouldn't mind it.  I feel like they should probably look to keep "Red" in the name because of much easier the transition would be. 

Would be cool if they had some kind of buy back/trade-in program for those who have bought merchandise recently. 

My parents bought me a really nice "racist name" jacket that I feel kind of iffy about wearing out now. If there was a way I could trade it in for at least a discount on the same or similar item with the new team name on it? 

I wouldn't be so quick to say we aren't gonna stay the WFT....it seems to be gaining support. I'd love to keep just the numbers on the helmet but maybe add a gold stripe down the center. 

As for a logo, I'd dumb the simple W and create something catchy similar to how the 76ers have added the dribbling Ben Franklin as a secondary logo. It's very popular here in the Philly area. In fact, the 76ers have done a great job of rebranding their team and logo by introducing some old school uniform ideas (PHILA) and adding some historic figures (dribbling Ben Franklin) to kind of spark their brand to both older and younger fans. 

Maybe we keep the name and add a really catchy logo, something that really represents the history of the city/culture, etc....? Obviously the Washington monument comes to mind but there are several ways you could take it....

I also like the RedTails.....what it represents and the great logo options it presents. I like it way more than Red Wolves but that's just me. 

i think the problem with the fight song is that everyone will just keep singing HTTR. Which is fine by me (😀) but I can't see all the protesters and liberals chancing that. i would suspect that is one thing they will insist gets changed.

Agree with everyone that the uniforms looked great this year though.

12 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

The Washington Football Team announced that it has selected Code and Theory as agency partner for the next phase of its rebranding journey. 

https://www.codeandtheory.com/says-a-lot/press/washington-football-team-selects-code-and-theory

So reading this and mentioning how they'd like to change the gameday experience for fans. First thing I would change is concessions and reduce prices throughout. The Falcons, Ravens, and Lions have recently all reduced their prices in concessions to affordable prices and it worked out for everyone. The owner made more money because people didn't feel like they had to stuff their bellies before the games so they didn't have to spend $25 on a hotdog meal. Obviously the fans were happy too because everyone started buying food and didn't feel like they were getting ripped off. Every NFL team should look into doing this. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Washington Warriors.  Nothing at all “generic” about Warriors as a team name.  It’s actually one of the cooler names you could use considering being a Warrior is ****ing awesome 😎 

• Thanks 1

Love our current color scheme.  Love the fact that the NFL only has one or two teams that have generic color schemes that don't have a real tradition.  Name MUST be one that begins with R. Needs to be one that is not confusing given the current color scheme. Should be two syllables and be a drop in replacement for Redskins (ie, Redtails). Should represent, at least closely as possible, the mid-atlantic (ie, Redwolves). Needs to be as easy to drop the front end (like 'Skins was).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, -JB- said:

Washington Warriors.  Nothing at all “generic” about Warriors as a team name.  It’s actually one of the cooler names you could use considering being a Warrior is ****ing awesome 😎 

I agree 100%. Warriors is not “generic,” that’s the lamest reason not to choose that one I’ve ever heard.  The name doesn’t need to be anything totally unique.  Make the logos and graphics cool and edgy but the name should be straightforward and nothing that sounds silly.  I guess I could live with Redwolves if that’s it, but it sounds like a pee wee soccer team to me.  I don’t want “red” in the name just because people can’t move on from the old name.  If the team hadn’t been known as the Redskins we wouldn’t even be having a conversation about naming the team Redwolves or Redtails.  They wouldn’t even be on the radar.  HTTW works just fine for me.   

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I agree 100%. Warriors is not “generic,” that’s the lamest reason not to choose that one I’ve ever heard.  The name doesn’t need to be anything totally unique.  Make the logos and graphics cool and edgy but the name should be straightforward and nothing that sounds silly.  I guess I could live with Redwolves if that’s it, but it sounds like a pee wee soccer team to me.  I don’t want “red” in the name just because people can’t move on from the old name.  If the team hadn’t been known as the Redskins we wouldn’t even be having a conversation about naming the team Redwolves or Redtails.  They wouldn’t even be on the radar.  HTTW works just fine for me.   

100% spot on.

• Thanks 1

Warriors isn’t generic? Lol. Even if it werent one of the most generic sports team names world wide, you are now competing with Golden state and others. Throwing merch opportunities away. 

Go with something original. Warthogs, Hogs, Redwolves. There’s so much you can do there that hasn’t been done.