Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)


jskins11
 Share

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, max21 said:

I’m hardly excited for this anymore, and I was really engaged on this topic. This franchise really sucks 

Should announce we're going back to the Redskins again. That would distract everyone. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thumb up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Should announce we're going back to the Redskins again. That would distract everyone. 

 

You beat me to it. I think there's a 70% chance they'll do that or pick something like Braves. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on everything that has happened in last 4 days, I have zero confidence in the new name and logo. 

On 10/7/2021 at 5:36 PM, bentskin said:

While I believe that a new name has already been settled on and the powers that be are simply finalizing the details I still find myself trying to come up with a new name while watching them play. While most of the time I am trying to come up with an R name although my personal favorites are Warriors, Redwolves and Sentinels. I would also like to see a return to the 60's style unis. Warriors and Sentinels would work well by simply changing the arrow w/ feather to a spear w/ ribbon Spartan style. I hold out hope that it will be Redwolves and the logo is respectable. 

Having said that and fearing a lame name like Commanders or Defenders I thought about DC.

The Washington DC's.

I can see it being cool and terrible at the same time. Feel free to pat me on the back or slap me in the back of the head. Neither will come as a shock.

Now, someone more clever than me will have to decide what DC stands for. Maybe it doesnt "stand" for anything. It just is. Or...

District Commanders

District Chiefs - too close to home for some, so to speak? probably

Demolition Crew

 

Or for the Redwolves / Wolves crowd concerned, and rightfully so, about trademark issues. Washington K9s. Everything logo and graphic wise can still be red wolf themed but I dont there would be an issue trademark wise. No?

 

HTTR

 

Dumpster Carcass 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

avert your gaze if needed---this is another of my negative takes

 

 

 

i think they've totally screwed the name change up  up beyond repair, no matter what they pick

 

my call is that outside of a relatively small percentage of still-fans, more will feel little or nothing 'redemptive' or 'celebratory' about it at this point, and many others will just see whatever they choose as another 'massive fail' at least in execution---this one extreme-ly massive---as with almost all things coming from snyderland

 

other fan bases, media, and nfl employees will see it as a joke, a fail, and also typcial of snyderland

 

yay new name

 

 

or maybe it's just me and a few other cynics in this matter (hope so) :) 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think its better for them to draw it out longer. At least until the investigation is over. Then you can kind-of lump that into the ole redskins. 

 

Look at the shiny new Redwolves. We hire minorities and don't assault women now!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

avert your gaze if needed---this is another of my negative takes

 

 

 

i think they've totally screwed the name change up  up beyond repair, no matter what they pick

 

my call is that outside of a relatively small percentage of still-fans, more will feel little or nothing 'redemptive' or 'celebratory' about it at this point, and many others will just see whatever they choose as another 'massive fail' at least in execution---this one extreme-ly massive---as with almost all things coming from snyderland

 

other fan bases, media, and nfl employees will see it as a joke, a fail, and also typcial of snyderland

 

yay new name

 

 

or maybe it's just me and a few other cynics in this matter (hope so) :) 

Why do you think they’ve screwed up the name change so bad? Because like you said it’s wondering nature or just the fact they’re keeping it all under wraps and how long it’s been drawn out? I will agree it’s taken entirely too long, to the point where a younger fan like myself has lost interest in it on top of a seemingly terrible season yet again. 

22 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Ark St and Chatanooga are discussing settlement options and have suspended their trademark case for 30 days to try and reach an agreement with each other.

 

More gears turning.

And what does this mean for us exactly? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Got to agree Jumbo.

 

It’s going to take one hell of a name for people to care with any real passion.

 

of course i want it to be 'just old critical-of-the-constant-fail jumbo' and end up being more wrong than right about it all

 

 

29 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

whatever the name is going to be will not be liked unless this team wins right away with the new name. 

 

that is a very cogent point...the nature of the beast is that if we went on a winning streak (cough) it would of course get linked to a whole 'new start' meme with the whatever-it-is name being part of the spin...and i'd also feel a lot better again if we were winning, though i wouldn't actually share any 'superstitious' school of 'explanation' for a turnaround...still, going only by history to date, as long as snyder owns/runs the team it will have some degree of foul taste to me but this team is still the only one i claim as 'mine'

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

**NOT POLITICAL**

I do get a little bit more hope that things will be taken more seriously by the people associated with the name change now that Congress is getting involved, or at least sending a letter.  The owners can cover each other (Kraft massage anyone?) for a mutual benefit, but it could become a prisoner's dilemma pretty quickly between 32 billionaires, and I think that throwing Dan under the bus is step 0.

The name can't be something put together with the level of care given to the travesty of 21's retirement.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, max21 said:

Why do you think they’ve screwed up the name change so bad? Because like you said it’s wondering nature or just the fact they’re keeping it all under wraps and how long it’s been drawn out? I will agree it’s taken entirely too long, to the point where a younger fan like myself has lost interest in it on top of a seemingly terrible season yet again. 

And what does this mean for us exactly? 

 

 what you said (though i'd say 'wandering nature' instead of 'wondering') and more

 

the dragged-out nature shows still ongoing tone-deafness to the fans (even with any legal complications to trademarks) and often silly, shallow, (dare i say 'amateur'?) pressers in a variety of media re: the whole process

 

it reminds me of watching ill-prepared incompetent planners of a high school prom with their chosen theme of 'nights in white satin' having the effort go so awry it ends up more like 'carrie2'

 

but, hopefully again, i will be way more wrong than right and tbf i really don't expect any bloodbaths even if i am right :) , other than the emotional ones 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, max21 said:

And what does this mean for us exactly? 

 

If you acquire a name, you also acquire any baggage that may be attached to it.

 

Ark St is in and out trademark court over the use of Red wolves. Their biggest current case would be against Chattanooga Red wolves FC.

If we were to buy our way into Ark ST's trademark tomorrow, we would also inherit the effort to prevent Chattanooga from getting Red wolves merch rights.

Its probably not the best idea to divert unnecessary resources in the middle of a rebrand if you don't have to.

 

If I was financing a new wing of a university for their merch rights, I would expect them to "tie up" loose ends beforehand so I would not have to deal with it, and Ark St seems to be ending a few of their cases w/ the addition of this Chattanoga one, cases that were scheduled to go deep into 2022.

 

Trademark cases don't end for no reason, so when two end in the span of a month, it seems a bit like pressure is coming from somewhere to get these squared away.

 

 

In the grand scheme, these cases would only simply serve to be headaches rather than real problems, (they don't effect OUR rights, per say, just the opposition's) but when your juggling 50 balls associated w/ a rebrand, eliminating a few is always welcome. One less thing to worry over.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

**NOT POLITICAL**

I do get a little bit more hope that things will be taken more seriously by the people associated with the name change now that Congress is getting involved, or at least sending a letter.  The owners can cover each other (Kraft massage anyone?) for a mutual benefit, but it could become a prisoner's dilemma pretty quickly between 32 billionaires, and I think that throwing Dan under the bus is step 0.

The name can't be something put together with the level of care given to the travesty of 21's retirement.


As Jumbo stated, this thing was too drawn out. It’s now too late to not screw it up. The ST debacle was put together with too much haste and nonsense this one is way too drawn out and divisive. Everything they do they pretty much screw up. 

 

As far as congress, they don’t have anything on the NFL. The NFL voluntarily relinquished their tax-exempt status in 2016. Nothing is going to come of it and they have no right to the investigation materials. It’s all pandering and posturing. There is no prisoner’s dilemma. Unfortunately, Dan is quite safe. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AR St has been dragging their feet with Chattanooga for years and I find it hard to believe that they really are close to an agreement. Especially since this is not the only time they suspended their trademarks for "Negotiation purposes". They did the same thing Dec 23rd 2020. Nothing changed. Just like nothing will this time.

And with the scandal we have, I seriously doubt AR St wants a wing or a scholarship with Snyder's fingerprints, let alone control of their trademark.

The AR St position to other applicants is: if you drop your name application, we can end this. Chattanooga won't drop it and they are going all the way on this.
Even on the rarest chance that those two make an agreement, why would AR St let WSH take ownership after all that? And WSH would STILL have to apply for a Redwolves TM immediately, they will not acquire AR St's TM.

Did you know a guy named Swerdlin applied a couple of Redwolves TMs as well? The AR St/CHAT settlement would only resume the waiting period of Swerdlin's TMs to be examined next year. And still hold up the Redwolves TM for WSH if they were dumb enough to do this negotiation.

 

It's not going to be Redwolves. The trademark is too tied up and AR St will not negotiate if they lose being the primary owner.

 

Edited by DCdangerous
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I frankly don't give a rats ass at this point to be honest.  They/he has totally destroyed, well everything related to the team I loved.  We are simply a laughingstock to all & everything they do from the name change, the Sean Taylor dedication debacle, on and on is just a cluster ****.  I'm sure the new name will follow suit.  I always knew we were a pit of despair, but totally lost any mojo for this organization over the past week. It's been a slow burn down to the nub.  Thanks Dan.  Sell the damn team Dan, please.  I wonder if has even a remote hint or clue of the intense disdain the fans have for him, or how he has made our team look to everyone. Just name us the Carrion.  It fits. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:


As Jumbo stated, this thing was too drawn out. It’s now too late to not screw it up. The ST debacle was put together with too much haste and nonsense this one is way too drawn out and divisive. Everything they do they pretty much screw up. 

 

As far as congress, they don’t have anything on the NFL. The NFL voluntarily relinquished their tax-exempt status in 2016. Nothing is going to come of it and they have no right to the investigation materials. It’s all pandering and posturing. There is no prisoner’s dilemma. Unfortunately, Dan is quite safe. 

 

Congress can remove their antitrust exemption.

That exemption (the Sports Broadcasting Act), allows the NFL to negotiate lucrative deals for the League and the teams. Like broadcasting and merchandise.  Something like that gets the attention of the NFL pretty quick.

 

 

 

 

 

 

:229:The Rook

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My interest in this topic has dwindled considerably, but I am 100% convinced that what they have chosen (does anybody still believe the name hasn’t been chosen yet?) has everything to do with trademark considerations.  They have gone with the name that is the least likely to cost a ton of cash in buying people off.  The name that is going to be the easiest to lock down. 
 

They will say in the end they couldn’t go with a fan favorite Redwolves/Wolves name because they couldn’t secure the rights to the name without spending/losing out on millions.  Redwolves always wins the polls but there are a lot of people that don’t like it.  Redwolves would not be seen by everybody as a home run.  

 

If the logo looks good I think most who are still around will be happy, and relieved it’s finally done.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Got to agree Jumbo.

 

It’s going to take one hell of a name for people to care with any real passion.

This is the issue though--- it's just a friggin name. With all the garbage with this franchise, how is a new name going to help ANYTHING at this point?

 

We'd all be waaaay more excited if there wasn't the extra baggage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Captain James said:

This is the issue though--- it's just a friggin name. With all the garbage with this franchise, how is a new name going to help ANYTHING at this point?

 

We'd all be waaaay more excited if there wasn't the extra baggage.

That's the sad thing. There wouldn't have been extra baggage if the had announced it immediately. They've waited so long that baggage has created itself and ruined what could have been a painful but quick change.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...