Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

jskins11

1 hour ago, London Kev said:

^^^

Lol, our jacket looks like someone stuck a warning sticker over the logo.

16 minutes ago, burgngold fan said:

Looking at that image!  We got the lamest looking one!!!

What logo are we supposed to use for our throwback ?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Removing logos and just go w/ this could be possible, as long as helmet rules allow

As far as the helmets themselves ... The " one helmet " rule is over, after this year.

I'm pretty sure we will take advantage of that.

This is one of the many reasons why Wolves will never be chosen over Redwolves and I am sure this was intentional on the part of the Timberwolves as a preemptive response to rumors of our new name:

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

This is one of the many reasons why Wolves will never be chosen over Redwolves and I am sure this was intentional on the part of the Timberwolves as a preemptive response to rumors of our new name:

Sorry but we have gone through this already. Their jersey TM doesn’t give them full control over the Wolves name.  With so many other teams around the USA called Wolves, no one can claim dominance of the name nor confusion with other attempts. Wolves will happen.

Even if you think you are right, if Cleveland Indians would rather deal with Marvel Comics and XFL New York over the name Guardians than deal with the University of Richmond over the fan favorite name Spiders, Washington will gladly deal with Minnesota over the name Wolves than deal with Arkansas State University over the name Redwolves. 

Just now, DCdangerous said:

Sorry but we have gone through this already. Their jersey TM doesn’t give them full control over the Wolves name.  With so many other teams around the USA called Wolves, no one can claim dominance of the name nor confusion with other attempts. Wolves will happen.

Even if you think you are right, if Cleveland Indians would rather deal with Marvel Comics and XFL New York over the name Guardians than deal with the University of Richmond over the fan favorite name Spiders, Washington will gladly deal with Minnesota over the name Wolves than deal with Arkansas State University over the name Redwolves. 

A coexistence agreement with Arkansas State or acquiring the mark from them would end any issues. With wolves you make the exact point why it would not. There are far too many uses in commerce and it’s generic. 

Regardless it’s going to be a crap name like Commanders and we can all be disappointed instead of just some. This is what this team does best. Disappointing the largest percentage of people possible!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

This is one of the many reasons

While the T-wolves ownership of the wolves brandmark is a significant reason, I don't see their new jerseys as any kind of preventive flex.

They have been rocking wolves gear for years. They are just continuing their previous practice. 

Minnesota Timberwolves: Keep KAT happy, and keep KAT in Minnesota

Kevin Love Named to 2013-14 All-NBA Second Team | Minnesota Timberwolves

Timberwolves: 3 reasons why Kevin Garnett will be a Hall of Famer

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

The report from months back that Football Team couldn't be the name as they trademark ruling said it was too close Football Club, appears to be correct.  I heard there was a leaked promo saying they've stopped making WFT merch, so everything was on limited supply?

Anyone heard similar?

8 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The report from months back that Football Team couldn't be the name as they trademark ruling said it was too close Football Club, appears to be correct.  I heard there was a leaked promo saying they've stopped making WFT merch, so everything was on limited supply?

Anyone heard similar?

This?

Screenshot_20210930-182842_Twitter.jpg

20210930_183040.jpg

Edited by Guevara
Not sure how I've added 2 screenshots, sorry!
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Anyone heard similar?

Here's the link to the tweet in case you want to read comments and stuff:

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Huh, I was not aware of that tweet. Thx for sharing.

Regardless, any org in the middle of a rebrand should be severely ramping down the production of the previous product. Access unsold merch at the end of this is just lost potential revenue.

You can get some of that back via donations and tax deductions, but you wont get those potential sales for the production of those items. You still have to meet demand tho, so it should not stop entirely.

On 9/24/2021 at 2:33 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Jets is such a stupid name.

There are a lot of names that aren't good in the NFL, such as the:

- Browns (named after an owner...really?)

- Jets

- Bills (named after the guy who almost wiped out the species the city is named after)

Then the never ending list of bird, cat, or horse names. 

Then the kind of weird time capsules for history:

-I waffle on if the Giants name is awkward or not.  On one hand when they were named after their skyline in the 1940's, when they did have just about every building in the Top 20 tallest buildings in the world.  So that's cool.  But now they've got maybe 1 in the Top 10?

-Packers name is certainly awkward.  Named after a highschool kids day job, the company did embrace the team...but the company eventually went belly up in the 1940's.  It's named after something that hasn't existed for most of a century, and only got the name cause the highschooler happened to work there and asked his employer to help pay for uniforms.  They then decided the team was almost free advertising and sponsored them a bit more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

18 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

A coexistence agreement with Arkansas State or acquiring the mark from them would end any issues. With wolves you make the exact point why it would not. There are far too many uses in commerce and it’s generic. 

Regardless it’s going to be a crap name like Commanders and we can all be disappointed instead of just some. This is what this team does best. Disappointing the largest percentage of people possible!

Generic actually helps Washington in trademark issues BECAUSE there are many uses in commerce so no one can come at us claiming ownership BECAUSE the name is not unique. What makes it unique to us? The Washington part. We use the Wolves itself as trademark but use Washington to stand out. And once again, you bring up the “we can just make a deal with them” argument that has been done to death. If we couldn’t do with Warriors, we won’t do it with Redwolves. Plus any deal with a public university like ASU would have been reported on and be done a WHILE ago. Not happening. 

2 hours ago, DCdangerous said:

What makes it unique to us? The Washington part.

As a location, Washington must be disclaimed. A Washington "anything" registration is simply a "anything" registration

2 hours ago, DCdangerous said:

Plus any deal with a public university like ASU would have been reported on and be done a WHILE ago.

I would expect an NDA. I would also expect no money has exchanged hands as of yet so there is nothing for Ark St to report. Just an agreement on a price or price range.

Something along the lines of the paperwork being drawn up, but nothing is signed.

Nothing likely gets inked until right before the team makes an announcement.

27 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

As a location, Washington must be disclaimed. A Washington "anything" registration is simply a "anything" registration

I would expect an NDA. I would also expect no money has exchanged hands as of yet so there is nothing for Ark St to report. Just an agreement on a price or price range.

Something along the lines of the paperwork being drawn up, but nothing is signed.

Nothing likely gets inked until right before the team makes an announcement.

Yeah it has to be disclaimed but the identity of Washington separates us from any other sports teams; especially Minnesota. And Wolves is generic where it counts on the trademark, but makes us profitable with the location and team colors. 

And no, no NDA.  It still would have to be presented on record due to ASU being a public university. Plus ASU would have the upper hand demanding whatever price they want. And Washington is not just gonna roll over and give it to them. 

It’s. Not. Happening. 

3 minutes ago, DCdangerous said:

the identity of Washington separates us

Location does not matter. We are not logging a Wolves app without paying off the multiple owning parties beforehand. Unless the team wants to be the the Guardians and Kraken and lock themselves into a myriad of trademark issues. If they want wolves, and they don't want to be staring down years of trademark court, they gotta write some checks first.

Until Ark St is paid, they don't have to report a thing as there would be absolutely nothing to report. The NDA just prevents the officials and lawyers involved from leaking info that the two sides are talking. Standard stuff.

I promise you NDAs have been flying all around this rebrand process at every level.

33 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Location does not matter. We are not logging a Wolves app without paying off the multiple owning parties beforehand. Unless the team wants to be the the Guardians and Kraken and lock themselves into a myriad of trademark issues. If they want wolves, and they don't want to be staring down years of trademark court, they gotta write some checks first.

Until Ark St is paid, they don't have to report a thing as there would be absolutely nothing to report. The NDA just prevents the officials and lawyers involved from leaking info that the two sides are talking. Standard stuff.

I promise you NDAs have been flying all around this rebrand process at every level.

A sports classification in the trademark actually makes it easier for us to file for a Wolves app. I keep telling you, BECAUSE the Wolves name is used by so many teams, no one can take Washington to trademark court and claim ownership. It is perfect for us. NO OTHER WOLVES TEAM CAN SUE US FOR USING A GENERIC NAME LIKE WOLVES. Unless we copy something visual with the name Wolves, we will be fine.  

I promise you, ASU is not making a deal with Washington, even the NDA would be made public. This is as deluded as people thinking we could have made a deal with Golden State for Warriors. You have to look at what trademark cases are lined up. Redwolves has numerous people fighting for that name. Warriors name still has many people waiting to be heard. No one has a Wolves case in waiting. 

And yes Washington will write a check, but only to Minnesota itself. Not a college like ASU. 

Rugby team Toronto Wolfpack actually won their case against NC ST who tried to sue them for copyright infringement. Toronto won because the Wolfpack name is also generic. And Wolves is more generic than Wolfpack.  Redwolves is not generic. No other company with the name Wolfpack is taking Toronto Wolfpack to court just because of their Wolfpack name. And with Minnesota paid, no other Wolves company will take Washington to court either. 

Im telling you, all the reference to Redwolves by Washington is the misdirection they were talking about. They have you looking at Redwolves when Wolves was their choice the whole time. 

27 minutes ago, DCdangerous said:

A sports classification in the trademark actually makes it easier for us to file for a Wolves app. 

A classification like that wont get you generic merch rights for hats and T-shirts. Not good for an NFL team

28 minutes ago, DCdangerous said:

BECAUSE the Wolves name is used by so many teams,

The more teams utilizing the name just increases the number of parties that have to be dealt with beforehand.

29 minutes ago, DCdangerous said:

Rugby team Toronto Wolfpack actually won their case against NC ST

4 years, multiple suspensions of their trademark during the challenge, alterations and concessions made to make it happen. We both know WSH is not going to sit in trademark court for years on end. It is not about whether you can win a case or not, its about having your branding rights locked up for several years and dealing with that headache.

We will not be filling application for Redwolves, Wolves or Wolfpack without paying people off first. Its not feasible.

33 minutes ago, DCdangerous said:

And yes Washington will write a check, but only to Minnesota itself. Not a college like ASU. 

If you understand and agree with me that a check has to be cut (even if just to Minn) for this pathway to be even remotely plausible, then your argument makes no reasonable sense. The idea that you have to pay Minn totally invalidates any other of your points since you clearly realize that you have to pay your way into the license to avoid years in trademark court. Otherwise, why send money to Minn?

Your raising ideas that support the stance that we can simply file for Washington Wolves for free, but you also clearly see that we would have to pay someone off to make it happen in a reasonable manner. Those two ideas don't bundle.

If you can see the reasoning to why checks need to be sent out, everything else you said is contradictory. Your not getting that specific registration in a plausible manner w/o paying people off, and it would be multiple parties at that.

For those still reading and interested the same is true for both Commanders and Sentinels. They are not "free rides" either.