Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

14 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

For me it represents a gutless approach and refuses to acknowledge that change has come by going a new direction.  The name is as bland as bland can be.  If they make “Football Team” forever I guarantee you people start coming out of the woodwork to offer an opinion, and it won’t be good.  If they have put themselves in an echo chamber and convinced each other this is what the spending fans want...stand by for system failure. 

and If the name is Toasters you heard it here first, lol.  

Far more fans like the name than I think you realize. If it was their intention all along to keep "Football Team as the name, they are getting a lot of support for that move, even if the voices that don't like it are louder.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, DCF said:

I don't necessarily agree that people that like it aren't as vocal because they already have it. They don't really have it, as it's widely known to be still subject to change. If they want that to be the name for good I would think they'd be clamoring for it to be the permanent name just as others are for their preferred names. I don't think they have big numbers in general. We all have our bubbles on social media and real life, but from what I've seen most people reject it as a name for various reasons, including one the others don't have which is that it's not really moving on from the past. It's seen as just not having a name by tons of people, whether you want to link it to the city it's still so abnormal of a "name" that it begs the question why, and the answer is because the original name was too offensive, but we couldn't move on to a new one, so we're just "team".

When the team presidentg says the name may actually remain permanently, you'll see a lot of calm approval tweets in response...

If the team president says there's no way in hell we are keeping the name and "Redtails" is growing in popularity from what he sees, you'll see a ton of aggressive tweets in response saying they like "Football Team". Right now those fans who like WFT as a name don't have anything to rail against, so they aren't as vocal.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

When the team presidentg says the name may actually remain permanently, you'll see a lot of calm approval tweets in response...

If the team president says there's no way in hell we are keeping the name and "Redtails" is growing in popularity from what he sees, you'll see a ton of aggressive tweets in response saying they like "Football Team". Right now those fans who like WFT as a name don't have anything to rail against, so they aren't as vocal.

The team isn't endorsing or rejecting any other name either though. They're all in the same boat and this is just a consideration like all the rest. The only thing it's saying is "yeah you WFT guys are in the fight too". I don't see how saying they're included in the mix is somehow keeping them calmer. I think you see more aggression with the other names because they're popular and passionate opinionated groups. There's no aggression towards WFT because a) most people think its temporary and b) all indications are there isn't a huge percentage that want it, or that are all that passionate about it.

• Like 2

If there is a large chunk of the fanbase that wants to keep it WFT, why have we not heard or seen this strong advocate group before?  They would be as aware as anyone else that the name they want may not be ultimately chosen. Surely they would be as vocal about wanting that name as the others are with theirs. Yet we've seen the Redtails group, the Redwolves, Warriors, and even others. The big WFT advocate group hasn't really been seen or heard from the start. It seems to me that the only reason WFT stands a chance with a marginal percentage of the fanbase is because it still represents the name Redskins to people by way of not renaming the team anything else. That makes some sense for the last generation that got to see the Redskins actually play, but it doesn't make sense for any of them past that. Hell even some of the no mascot crowd leans more towards Football Club and not Football team. There just is nothing anywhere that indicates a large group either passionate or calm, that really wants to keep WFT as the name.

• Thanks 3
52 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

Yes, one of the reasons I like this name...it will forever be “**** y’all arseholes” but the again I am childish and bitter about the name change...

When they hand out terrible towels to wave you can use it to dry your tears when we all start howling like wolves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, max21 said:

Washington Football Team also doesn’t really attract any younger fans, at least I don’t think it does. It almost just keeps the older generation happy as they’re still essentially the Redskins

Not sure what you consider the older generation.   But I'm probably there.  I can speak for myself, that it is a horrible name and not happy at all with wtf!  I mean wft!   Wink wink!

No more game tickets or merchandise will be purchased by this long time fan until there is a real name to honor!   And honestly I'll watch one more year.  But if no name by 22.  It's over for me!

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, petey hodge said:

If Dan is successful with his buyout of Fred Smith and the other minority owners, can he revert the name back again?  HTTR!!!

Nope...people need to wrap their head around the fact it’s over.  There is no going back to Redskins.  Dan changed it because Fed Ex threatened to pull out their millions.  Nothing has changed with that even though he’s buying out the minority owners.  Nobody is going to want to take the public relations hit now for endorsing that name, and you need partners to make the machine work. 

This “Football Team” business is just another way to fight a battle that has been lost.  On principal I was relentless on this message board in that fight for several years to keep the name.  I still don’t like that the name had to be changed, but I was also fatigued from making the same points over and over again just for the argument to pick up steam again 6 months later.  

Picking a legitimate name for this team will finally bring the issue to rest for all time.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Far more fans like the name than I think you realize. If it was their intention all along to keep "Football Team as the name, they are getting a lot of support for that move, even if the voices that don't like it are louder.

I follow the team and local media on Facebook and Twitter.  I have lots of friends who are fans of this team who I talk to on regular basis.  I can tell you now, while there are definitely some people who would rather stick with Football Team than pick a new name...no way they are anywhere close to a large percentage.  Now, if 5000 of the 15000 suggestions were telling them to go back to Redskins...I could see where this “Football Team” stuff is coming from.  I’m sure there are quite a few but I doubt it’s that many.  A vote to return back to Redskins isn’t a vote for “Football Team.” Of course, that’s speculation on my part.

2 hours ago, DCF said:

There's no aggression towards WFT because a) most people think its temporary and b) all indications are there isn't a huge percentage that want it, or that are all that passionate about it.

Look at how worked up it’s made me, and I’m just one guy, lol.  I know I’m not alone.  If the fans at large really believed they are serious about keeping “no name but team” I’m convinced there would be immediate and significant backlash.  

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Look at how worked up it’s made me, and I’m just one guy, lol.  I know I’m not alone.  If the fans at large really believed they are serious about keeping “no name but team” I’m convinced there would be immediate and significant backlash.  

Oh I'm convinced of that as well, people just aren't aware yet how possible it is that WFT stays the permanent name. They think it's a lame placeholder, many didn't even like it as that! Most aren't aware just how many times the team has hinted at this staying permanent. I think it'll come out of nowhere to lots of people, and the team will try to back it up with handpicked posts from their Washington Journey site. If the team does choose a different name, there is no way you'll see some large passionate outcry from people that loved the name WFT. It's just not there.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, burgngold fan said:

Not sure what you consider the older generation.   But I'm probably there.  I can speak for myself, that it is a horrible name and not happy at all with wtf!  I mean wft!   Wink wink!

No more game tickets or merchandise will be purchased by this long time fan until there is a real name to honor!   And honestly I'll watch one more year.  But if no name by 22.  It's over for me!

Don’t do it, we need you 

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I’m liking the look and style of the Football Team... kinda hard to trademark perhaps though.

sorta surprised their isn’t an article around here somewhere about Danny buying out all of his minority shareholders.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

It’s surprising to me that some people want to revert back to Redskins. The team looks like it’s turning a corner for the first time in over 25 years and that name had just become a distraction and a headache, even if it gave some positive nostalgic emotion to you, it needed to go and it’s over. I’ve been watching since Jack Pardee was coach, so I get ALL the arguments and polls and intents that have been reiterated at nauseam. I’d take WFT or “No Names” over that (at best) antiquated term at this point. 

My choices:

1. Washington Warthogs

2. DC Commanders 

3. DC Direwolves

4. Washington Wolves or Redwolves 

5. Washington Americans 

32 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

sorta surprised their isn’t an article around here somewhere about Danny buying out all of his minority shareholders.

It's in another thread.

( Unless you meant this thread )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m liking the look and style of the Football Team... kinda hard to trademark perhaps though.

I like the look and style as a launching point to something bigger.  I like the W a lot, and I think that could certainly stay a part of the larger rebrand.  Code and Theory helped with the temporary brand and is working with the team on the larger rebrand.  

The temporary brand was certainly a step in the right direction.  

Small sample size, but the comments below each of those tweets are interesting to say the least.  If you think that WFT has a lot of support, don’t look there for evidence.  

Edit: and not one of those people are me for the record.  Hear that @Koolblue13?!  😆

Edited by Painkiller
14 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Small sample size, but the comments below each of those tweets are interesting to say the least.  If you think that WFT has a lot of support, don’t look there for evidence.  

Edit: and not one of those people are me for the record.  Hear that @Koolblue13?!  😆

I'm watching the Jane Goodall Hope documentary right now man. I'm happy crying right now. I'm not going to your twitter feed to read a bunch of Wrestling enthusiasts popping off. 

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm watching the Jane Goodall Hope documentary right now man. I'm happy crying right now. I'm not going to your twitter feed to read a bunch of Wrestling enthusiasts popping off. 

Ok...just messing with you.  🙂

• Haha 1

What does everyone think of "Washington Tuskers"?

Mascot can be a Boar or an Elephant and it allows us to keep WFT (or even WTF if we wanted lol)

It's unique too, at least I think, and not too wild or out there.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
13 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

What? And miss the oppo to refer to our big men as hippos, mammoths or walrus?!

Washington Mammoths would not upset me. It's a better name than the Wizards. There's quite a few names I'd roll with, I could tolerate Washington Football Team but I'm not rooting for it. 

Think about on live television, when they start talking about that Mammoth defensive line. Kinda fits with how our team is currently built. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
17 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Mammoths is not bad, I'd just don't like that I cant find a suitable way to shorten it.

Skins, Caps, Wiz, Nats, Os.... what is short for Mammoths? Its gotta be one syllable. Gotta call em the Mams? Eww

Also there is the real danger that you can phone in the logo

WM.jpg.37bf8344e1ebe42c68187d4aa10f0627.jpg