Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Why do we need a nickname?  We aren't 8 years old. 

 

If that is true than why did we fight so hard to keep Redskins?  If it wasn't a big deal, and we aren't 8 years old.  

Edited by Painkiller
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta have a real name.

 

Money guys would absolutely riot if their biggest and most obvious form of branding was neutered in this capacity and we remained WFT long term.

 

 

I believe in any community's ability to accept any team name, no matter how bad, but there is little incentive to glom onto a clearly labeled temp name. They shot WFT down when they labeled it as such as people have simply been waiting for the rebrand, rather than accepting the name they have been given.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 We were 7-9 after starting off 2-7, had weekly fan arguments about our highly-drafted QB and our highly-respected head coach, were blindsided as fans by the name change, and had expose artcles written about how misogynistic and toxic the team has been under Snyder's watch. All during a pandemic where we couldn't attend games. And again, we only went 7-9. The cards were severely stacked against any type of real uptick in in merchandise sales, no matter the name. Chase Young's jersey was top 40 or 50 in sales.--it's been awhile since we even had that..he's a player fans get excited over and will buy his jersey, regardless of team name or record.

 

A lot of fans hate Warriors, a lot of fans hate Redwolves, a lot of fans hate both lol...There will not be a name that magically solves things. But all fans like winning. That'll solve a ****load.

 

 

 

I truly believe that if the organization really wants to get back to RG3 level jersey sales again...they must pick a strong name and identity.  Football Team is not the answer.  However, I do agree it is wins that count the most.  Winning would certainly help sales, but the opportunity here is to do something so much grander.  I want the kind of identity carved out again that Redskins used to have, and what teams like the Ravens, Steelers, Seahawks, Titans, and Patriots enjoy now.  I firmly believe that most people don't buy a jersey because of the name on the jersey.  They buy a jersey because they identify with the team represented.  The package suits their tastes.  

 

Like I said before, look no further than the Ravens and Titans for how to properly rebrand an NFL team.  The package is now fully entrenched in both those communities.  The people identify with those teams.     

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Painkiller said:

 

I truly believe that if the organization really wants to get back to RG3 level jersey sales again...they must pick a strong name and identity.  Football Team is not the answer.  However, I do agree it is wins that count the most. 

 

Like I said before, look no further than the Ravens and Titans for how to properly rebrand an NFL team.  The package is now fully entrenched in both those communities.  The people identify with those teams.     

 

1) Probably true...hell, definitely true lol...i wasn't thinking RG3-level sales, though, but yeah if that's the goal they won't get that with WFT unless they win multiple SBs

 

2) Emphasis on "properly rebrand", although both of those franchises moved to completely different cities and states so rebranding was an easier road. They were brand new teams to those cities. Also, i do think the Titans remained the Oilers for at least a year before rebranding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spearfeather said:

The team's 100th anniversary is coming up in 11 years. It's really not that far away.  You know they're going to make a big deal of that, and rightly so. So, with a new name, how exactly would you market that ?

 

" Celebrating 100 years of  Werewolf Football "

 

You couldn't do that.

 

I'm just wondering what they're going to do with that.

 

I don’t think that really matters, they’re more than likely just going to say “Celebrating 100 years of Washington Football”. I don’t think you could risk a potential nickname for the next 100 years just to celebrate the prior 100 years of a name that isn’t even allowed anymore.   

Edited by max21
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

2) Emphasis on "properly rebrand", although both of those franchises moved to completely different cities and states so rebranding was an easier road. They were brand new teams to those cities. Also, i do think the Titans remained the Oilers for at least a year before rebranding.

 

 

I think the organization (and fans) must accept the fact that they have to break away from the name and traditions of the past, with only the colors remaining.  If the colors remain, they could pick a toaster for a mascot (I'm not saying they should do this, lol) and people would still recognize them as the burgundy and gold.  The colors make this the same team. 

 

but this team needs a name.  Football team is not a name, it's what they are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, max21 said:

I don’t think that really matters, they’re more than likely just going to say “Celebrating 100 years of Washington Football”. I don’t think you could risk a potential nickname for the next 100 years just to celebrate the prior 100 years of a name that isn’t even allowed anymore.   

 

I'm not saying any anniversary would be the deciding factor in relation to any new name necessarily, just more about how do you incorporate any new name with 87 years of " Redskins Football ".

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

 

I'm not saying any anniversary would be the deciding factor in relation to any new name necessarily, just more about how do you incorporate any new name with 87 years of " Redskins Football ".

 

From here out they use the all encompassing "Washington Football," when talking about this team in a historical context as well as the present.  When it's the present, it's the new name.  When it's from 1932 forward, it's Washington Football.  Celebrating decades of the burgundy and gold in Washington D.C.  I really don't think this will be that hard.  

 

A fresh angle is sorely needed to generate additional excitement again for this team.  We were once one of the top brands in football, we can be again if they do this right.  Ego and stubbornness needs to be put aside for the overall good of the organization.  Keeping Football Team slaps of "take that assholes!," which is childish and not the right approach to this problem.  A problem that will never go away if they don't toughen up and accept that things change, and you either get on board or get left behind.       

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

 We were 7-9 after starting off 2-7, had weekly fan arguments about our highly-drafted QB and our highly-respected head coach, were blindsided as fans by the name change, and had expose artcles written about how misogynistic and toxic the team has been under Snyder's watch. All during a pandemic where we couldn't attend games. And again, we only went 7-9. The cards were severely stacked against any type of real uptick in in merchandise sales, no matter the name. Chase Young's jersey was top 40 or 50 in sales.--it's been awhile since we even had that..he's a player fans get excited over and will buy his jersey, regardless of team name or record.

 

A lot of fans hate Warriors, a lot of fans hate Redwolves, a lot of fans hate both lol...There will not be a name that magically solves things. But all fans like winning. That'll solve a ****load.

 

 

If we change the name and then start winning games, nobody's going to know who the **** we are though.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If they dont change the name I will forever refer to them as the WTF.  And the only gear I will buy will be knockoff WTF gear because obviously they wouldnt produce that themselves.  Its cute for a year, but it might honestly make them more blah than the browns, and it would take more winning than this team has done in decades to keep most casual fans interest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Peregrine said:

...and it would take more winning than this team has done in decades to keep most casual fans interest.

 

I don't think there is enough winning in the world that could make people flock to the stores for "Football Team" gear.  I just don't.  Washington Football Team is half-baked.  There are elements of this temporary brand that are cool and should be kept with the new name, but I have to believe that Football Team represents the beginning of this process not the end.  I just can't believe for the life of me they would keep such a moniker forever.

 

I think most likely they are trying to gain leverage for a trademark.  If so, very smart.  If not and they are serious...beyond silly.       

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, as I think about it, about the biggest disaster for what the team and the NFL wants would be to leave it as WFT.

 

Thats because as long as the team does not have a nickname a large portion of the fanbase will forever refer to them as the Redskins.  If theres no nickname to replace the old nickname then you will never lead people away from it.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

www.washingtonjourney.com 

Let your voice be heard and your opinion known. I know that they cant make all of us happy with the new name but we can not stay as WFT. This would be so disappointing to live with. I just dont see how this could be the choice. They are taking suggestions through April 5th, 2021. Even if you dont have a suggestion at least let it be known that WFT is not acceptable. My choices, all with burgundy / gold (preferably 1960's style but current is good too), no stripes on helmets.

Warriors

Redwolves

Sentinels

HTTR

Edited by bentskin
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

 

 

A fresh angle is sorely needed to generate additional excitement again for this team.  We were once one of the top brands in football, we can be again if they do this right.  Ego and stubbornness needs to be put aside for the overall good of the organization.  Keeping Football Team slaps of "take that assholes!," which is childish and not the right approach to this problem.  A problem that will never go away if they don't toughen up and accept that things change, and you either get on board or get left behind.       

 

It doesn't sound like you and Jason Wright see this the same way.

 

" Some of the things that are emerging from that are the Washington Football Team has something that ties deeply to our history. It feels like that isn’t jettisoning all the things we have been in the past, whereas something that’s completely new might feel that way.

“It’s important for a substantial part of our fan base to feel that this is a continuation of something vs. a complete reset, something brand new.”

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

also, I believe firmly that fan input is definitely warranted, but they can't just go with the name that wins a fan poll.  Say for instance, it is Red Wolves with 40 percent of the vote, an outcome that I think is very possible.  You can't just pick that name because that's what the highest percentage of fans said they wanted.  If you asked all the fans if they would have wanted the name to stay Redskins or be changed, the over whelming majority would have stated keep Redskins...something we can't do.  

 

You go with a name that has strong fan support, but doesn't bring with it any legitimate criticism or controversy that can again become a distraction from winning football games and selling jerseys.  You go all in, and you get people to buy in to the new look and name that maybe didn't vote for that in the poll.    

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Painkiller said:

also, I believe firmly that fan input is definitely warranted, but they can't just go with the name that wins a fan poll.  Say for instance, it is Red Wolves with 40 percent of the vote, an outcome that I think is very possible.  You can't just pick that name because that's what the highest percentage of fans said they wanted.  If you asked all the fans if they would have wanted the name to stay Redskins or be changed, the over whelming majority would have stated keep Redskins...something we can't do.  

 

You go with a name that has strong fan support, but doesn't bring with it any legitimate criticism or controversy that can again become a distraction from winning football games and selling jerseys.  You go all in, and you get people to buy in to the new look and name that maybe didn't vote for that in the poll.    

 

 

 

Yeah to me it's telling that polling isn't public.  Hopefully they really do take fan input into consideration, but there's nothing to stop "The Dan" from coming in at the last minute off of his yacht and saying it's gonna be something else!  This is a way to keep that information in house.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spearfeather said:

 

It doesn't sound like you and Jason Wright see this the same way.

 

" Some of the things that are emerging from that are the Washington Football Team has something that ties deeply to our history. It feels like that isn’t jettisoning all the things we have been in the past, whereas something that’s completely new might feel that way.

“It’s important for a substantial part of our fan base to feel that this is a continuation of something vs. a complete reset, something brand new.”

 

I read that quote from him.  For me, I believe a complete reset is changing the name and branding with a completely different color scheme.  I firmly believe the color scheme is what echoes of the past.  A burgundy and gold uniform, whether it be Warriors, Wolves, Sentinels, or Toasters would still be the same team.  

 

I honestly think that Warriors does provide us a continuation.  For me, the branding would be a more radical change with Wolves or Red Wolves.  Warriors are people...and they can be anyone.  Wolves are Wolves, and there is no room for subtlety.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

 

It doesn't sound like you and Jason Wright see this the same way.

 

" Some of the things that are emerging from that are the Washington Football Team has something that ties deeply to our history. It feels like that isn’t jettisoning all the things we have been in the past, whereas something that’s completely new might feel that way.

“It’s important for a substantial part of our fan base to feel that this is a continuation of something vs. a complete reset, something brand new.”

 

It doesn't sound like Jason Wright see's it the same way as the majority of fans he's ironically trying to speak for, as almost anybody you talk to wants it to be something different than Washington Football Team. However he's only doing what the owner wants, which is to keep pressing this idea of WFT as the permanent name. They'll use tradition and the past and pretend there's a large fan backing to keep WFT, using cherry picked submissions from their WashingtonJourney campaign to support it upon its release.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody likes my idea?

Introducing the...

Washington Mildcats

(two syllables; doesnt have red in it)

 

Harkens back to the prolific offense from our former coach... and the pride of the Maroon and Black!

sdut-washington-redskins-head-coach-2016

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DCF said:

 

It doesn't sound like Jason Wright see's it the same way as the majority of fans he's ironically trying to speak for, as almost anybody you talk to wants it to be something different than Washington Football Team. However he's only doing what the owner wants, which is to keep pressing this idea of WFT as the permanent name. They'll use tradition and the past and pretend there's a large fan backing to keep WFT, using cherry picked submissions from their WashingtonJourney campaign to support it upon its release.

 

I don't know if it's allowed at this point, but I would love to do an Extremeskins poll in the Stadium.  Consider this asking permission.  I have no doubt that Football Team would probably do better on this website than we expect, because a lot of us are still salty they had to let go of Redskins, but I doubt it gets the most votes.  I expect Red Wolves or Warriors would win.  I would also include the option for Wolves as well.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we change the name and then start winning games, nobody's going to know who the **** we are though.

 

We'd be the Redsk....the Footba....the Warriors.

 

 

1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

 

 

I think the organization (and fans) must accept the fact that they have to break away from the name and traditions of the past, with only the colors remaining.  If the colors remain, they could pick a toaster for a mascot (I'm not saying they should do this, lol) and people would still recognize them as the burgundy and gold.  The colors make this the same team. 

 

but this team needs a name.  Football team is not a name, it's what they are.

 

"Washington Football Team" is a name, though...it identifies more through the city it represents than the mascot, though.

 

And let's not just blow off the "Toasters" idea, now lol...

Edited by Califan007
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DCF said:

 

It doesn't sound like Jason Wright see's it the same way as the majority of fans he's ironically trying to speak for, as almost anybody you talk to wants it to be something different than Washington Football Team. However he's only doing what the owner wants, which is to keep pressing this idea of WFT as the permanent name. They'll use tradition and the past and pretend there's a large fan backing to keep WFT, using cherry picked submissions from their WashingtonJourney campaign to support it upon its release.

 

I don't buy that...I've seen plenty of fans who like keeping it as-is on twitter. The thing is, if you like the "Washington Football team" as a name, well, you already have it. So you're not gonna be as vocal about it. Name the team the Redwolves and all those people who were fine with (and even liked) WFT will start speaking up on how much they hate it. I actually see a lot of that on twitter right now lol...Warriors fans hate Redwolves, so they speak up a lot, an vice versa. WFT fans don't need to speak up as much, at least not to other fans. The team already has a name they like.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

We'd be the Redsk....the Footba....the Warriors.

 

 

 

"Washington Football Team" is a name, though...it identifies more through the city it represents than the mascot, though.

 

And let's not just blow off the "Toasters" idea, now lol...

For me it represents a gutless approach and refuses to acknowledge that change has come by going a new direction.  The name is as bland as bland can be.  If they make “Football Team” forever I guarantee you people start coming out of the woodwork to offer an opinion, and it won’t be good.  If they have put themselves in an echo chamber and convinced each other this is what the spending fans want...stand by for system failure. 

 

and If the name is Toasters you heard it here first, lol.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

 

I don't buy that...I've seen plenty of fans who like keeping it as-is on twitter. The thing is, if you like the "Washington Football team" as a name, well, you already have it. So you're not gonna be as vocal about it. Name the team the Redwolves and all those people who were fine with (and even liked) WFT will start speaking up on how much they hate it. I actually see a lot of that on twitter right now lol...Warriors fans hate Redwolves, so they speak up a lot, an vice versa. WFT fans don't need to speak up as much, at least not to other fans. The team already has a name they like.

 

I don't necessarily agree that people that like it aren't as vocal because they already have it. They don't really have it, as it's widely known to be still subject to change. If they want that to be the name for good I would think they'd be clamoring for it to be the permanent name just as others are for their preferred names. I don't think they have big numbers in general. We all have our bubbles on social media and real life, but from what I've seen most people reject it as a name for various reasons, including one the others don't have which is that it's not really moving on from the past. It's seen as just not having a name by tons of people, whether you want to link it to the city it's still so abnormal of a "name" that it begs the question why, and the answer is because the original name was too offensive, but we couldn't move on to a new one, so we're just "team".

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

"take that assholes!

Yes, one of the reasons I like this name...it will forever be “**** y’all arseholes” but the again I am childish and bitter about the name change...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...