Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

On 3/4/2021 at 8:11 PM, Painkiller said:

The more I think about it, my first choice is still Warriors, but I could totally get into Wolves also.  Not Redwolves or Red Wolves.  Just Wolves with a vicious Red Wolf for a mascot.  I really like the featured Wolves mock-up by Daniel Hopkins.

https://www.washingtonjourney.com/homepage/redwolves-by-daniel-hopkins/

Yep!! Redwolves is the only name with a fallback! You can't do that with any other popular name. Redtails can't do that. LOL

On 3/17/2021 at 1:52 AM, NoCalMike said:

I will admit "WFT" has grown on me enough to where I'd rather just keep that unless what they ultimately decide on is really, really good.

I admit the same but I would change the WFT to Washington Team Football.

WTF  just flows so much easier out of the mouth.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, DCdangerous said:

Yep!! Redwolves is the only name with a fallback! You can't do that with any other popular name. Redtails can't do that. LOL

Washington Tails is definitely a no go, lol.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Meh. Associating anything "red" with Native Americans is lazy, there. It's just looking for a reason to be offended.

Yup, you are right, but no doubt there will be some who are offended regardless...because that’s how we roll now.  

I think the point he was making is the one that I’ve made a few times in this thread.  “Red” anything seems like a desperate attempt to choose something that kinda sounds like the old name, and therefore reminds people of the old name, and therefore is bad.  For some Redwolves/Red Wolves will sound too much like Redskins and criticism will follow.  If that criticism gets National support here we are again.  No thanks.    

Edit: and cool as the brand could possibly look, Redwolves is a pale comparison to Redskins and the history associated with it for the fans.  Better to carve out a completely new identity with only the color scheme as the tie to the past.

Edited by Painkiller
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Painkiller said:

Yup, you are right, but no doubt there will be some who are offended regardless...because that’s how we roll now.  

I think the point he was making is the one that I’ve made a few times in this thread.  “Red” anything seems like a desperate attempt to choose something that kinda sounds like the old name, and therefore reminds people of the old name, and therefore is bad.  For some Redwolves/Red Wolves will sound too much like Redskins and criticism will follow.  If that criticism gets National support here we are again.  No thanks.    

Edit: and cool as the brand could possibly look, Redwolves is a pale comparison to Redskins and the history associated with it for the fans.  Better to carve out a completely new identity with only the color scheme as the tie to the past.

60 million people reduced to 800k and then made a mockery of as warriors and used as a mascot by the european americans that massacred them. You have to see how redskins is offensive to some people. You wouldn't call a team the black skins, because of how strong and athletic transatlantic african slaves were. 

I see the point if a team was the black skins and changed it to the black bulls the color would seem offensive.

4 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I understand the point, but there were people complaining about the colors being racist and WFT made people think Redskins, blah, blah, blah. There will ALWAYS be those people. Can't please all the people.

43 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I understand the point, but there were people complaining about the colors being racist and WFT made people think Redskins, blah, blah, blah. There will ALWAYS be those people. Can't please all the people.

Which is why I think we need to pick a name that only completely irrational criticism can be levied against.  “Red”anything leaves the organization open to additional criticism for refusing to go a totally different direction.  If the only thing left to criticize is the fact they stuck with the colors that qualifies in my mind as irrational.  Colors are just that.  Colors.  Other than the Chiefs, there isn’t one other team name in the NFL that can draw rational criticism.  None of the players or fans of any of those teams ever have to worry about their team name being criticized on a national level, and a change being forced upon them.  

I want a name where the last thing anybody ever thinks about when criticizing the organization is the name of the mascot.  

3 hours ago, Painkiller said:

Which is why I think we need to pick a name that only completely irrational criticism can be levied against.  “Red”anything leaves the organization open to additional criticism for refusing to go a totally different direction.  If the only thing left to criticize is the fact they stuck with the colors that qualifies in my mind as irrational.  Colors are just that.

You realize red is a color, right? 😀

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

You realize red is a color, right? 😀

Yes, so I’ve been told.😄

Red would be in the name not the color scheme though.  We’ve always been burgundy and gold even though the uniforms haven’t always reflected that fact.  The dark 70th anniversary uniforms are the best looking ones the team ever used in my opinion.    

I just hope this Washingtonjourney isn’t a dog and pony show, and they are giving serious consideration to other names besides Redwolves.  There has been plenty of support for Warriors also, and that name provides a clean break from the past.

I wonder sometimes also if the fans that are all about Redwolves truly consider what drama picking a similar name to Redskins might cause.  I don’t want our new name to have that kind of criticism right out of the gate.  Do we really want to have to deal with that kind of criticism again?  Once was enough.  

19 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Meh. Associating anything "red" with Native Americans is lazy, there. It's just looking for a reason to be offended.

Not to mention that Redskins was modified from Braves in order associate with the Red Sox... so you could argue that the red part of the name was a stretch to shoehorn red into a native name originally...

On 2/27/2021 at 1:13 PM, OGDMV said:

As a 30 year old fan I am tied of hearing about the hogs or how we should recycle old jerseys. I think now is the time to be fresh and bold with our jerseys and at the same time honor it heritage through the color scheme and find a way to tie it back to the past but looking to the future. 

I like the name Warhawks because 1. It is a nod to the capital. 2 it's aggressive. 3. The logo ties back to that native look.

What do you all think? I'm pretty sure all the old guys are going to clown me for this.

@OGDMVI can get with the WarHawks name and as one of the "old guys", I really like those helmets a LOT.  I especially like the fact that tthe feather part of the portrait in the old logo is being utilized in this design.  It maintains continuity and reminds me a LOT of how the Skinz recolored the feather logo that used to run up the back of their old helmets and used it as the feather on the spear logo.  Fantastic concept and design work. 

• Like 1

WarHawks is better than Redwolves.

Personally, I’m ready for the Warriors to slay the Giants, spear the Cowboys...and with arrows bring down the Eagles. 

...and then (clink clink clink) come out to playyyeee!  

😄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
17 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

WarHawks is better than Redwolves.

Personally, I’m ready for the Warriors to slay the Giants, spear the Cowboys...and with arrows bring down the Eagles. 

...and then (clink clink clink) come out to playyyeee!  

😄

Savage....of wait. :ols: 

Spears and Arrows dude? You've been saying that Warriors isn't any reflection on Native Americans and then this slips? Come on bro. Really?

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Savage....of wait. :ols: 

Spears and Arrows dude? You've been saying that Warriors isn't any reflection on Native Americans and then this slips? Come on bro. Really?

Native Americans Braves don’t have a monopoly on spears and arrows Kool.😄   

All humans have used them for centuries, and in this case it was used as an example of some of the fun we can have with this team name.

7 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Native Americans Braves don’t have a monopoly on spears and arrows Kool.😄   

All humans have used them for centuries, and in this case it was used as an example of some of the fun we can have with this team name.

You've said Red and Wolves can be linked to NAs too easily and then come in with "shooting arrows at Eagles"(You apparently hate america now too lol) and "spearing cowboys?" :ols: 

You're a mess. Just get on the Wolves train would ya? It's nice and warm in the Den brother. :D

• Like 1