Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT Branding Study (Part 2)

Hello again fellow WFT fans,

A couple weeks ago, I posted a link to a very short preliminary survey looking for feedback on your preferences for a new WFT brand. I posted it here and over on r/WashingtonNFL. We ended up with 172 responses. Very insightful stuff. THANK YOU!

As promised, here is the bigger part of the study based on the feedback we received. The first page of the survey has more details on what the survey entails, but in short, you'll find eight scenarios with different "conditions" for a hypothetical new team brand. These brand attributes (name, logo, colors, culture, DC community, and style) are based on the attributes you all listed as the most important.
For each of the eight scenarios, there are three questions to answer. After the scenarios, there are a few quick demographic and fandom-related questions.

I'd really appreciate your insights. As a professor (University of Cincinnati) and life long Redskins/WFT fan, it is so awesome to be able to combine my passion for research with my passion for the team. This study does have IRB approval. You can find the approval sheet attached within the first page of the survey link if you're interested.

I am going to post this on r/WashingtonNFL as well. Also, Scott Allen and Sam Fortier of the Washington Post have agreed to send it out on Twitter to their followers. Feel free to share the link with any WFT fans you know.

I cannot thank you enough for your help with this. Really looking forward to seeing the results. Happy to share with you all.
  • Like 5

Here’s a good enough place to post this...

How many of you purchased “WFT” gear this year?  
How many are waiting for the permanent mascot?

if we clinch tomorrow. I may buy some WFT gear, despite it being the “interim” year

HTTR.  That’s forever 

Edited by petey hodge
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

When it gets into the changing the colors (burgundy and gold) I then start to hit number one all the way. There is NO reason for any of that.

As a fan, I am right there with you. 'Colors' was easily the most frequently referenced aspect of the brand in our preliminary survey from a couple of weeks ago. Not all for B&G though. There were quite a few who preferred a complete reset of the brand  - aligning more with Nats/Caps/Wiz colors. 

One of my colleagues on this study has been arguing with me about this idea of brand friction. To me, as a fan, I want the team to keep as much of the old brand as possible. The colors, the fight song tune (even if we have to change a few words), etc...there's so much equity there as well that it's hard to just "rebrand" and throw that away. His argument (he's not a fan) is that if you keep too much of the old brand, it will lead to fans rejecting the new brand and continuing to wear their Redskins gear and referring to them as Redskins. Some may do that anyways, but never good from a branding perspective to have confusion/friction like that. 

Will be interesting to see how results play out, and what the team ultimately decides to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, jskins11 said:

As a fan, I am right there with you. 'Colors' was easily the most frequently referenced aspect of the brand in our preliminary survey from a couple of weeks ago. Not all for B&G though. There were quite a few who preferred a complete reset of the brand  - aligning more with Nats/Caps/Wiz colors. 

In an effort to align with the other local teams, we should absolutely go with red, white and blue. We should also be named the Washington Warlocks so there's a balance of patriotic and magical themes. 😉

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

I think I put 9,6,1 to every one until the 8th set when it was including red or skins in the name and then just put all ones. 

It's done, move on. Make us the Red Wolves, the ugly burgundy can become more dark/blood red and we can look a bit more modern, but I ultimately don't care that much. I've wanted to change the name forever and when I use to play Madden, I'd always move the team and become the Lost Vegas Fun Devils, wore black and lime green and had a spyder logo.

57 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think I put 9,6,1 to every one until the 8th set when it was including red or skins in the name and then just put all ones. 

It's done, move on. Make us the Red Wolves, the ugly burgundy can become more dark/blood red and we can look a bit more modern, but I ultimately don't care that much. I've wanted to change the name forever and when I use to play Madden, I'd always move the team and become the Lost Vegas Fun Devils, wore black and lime green and had a spyder logo.

This is an excellent combination. I'm starting to think we should petition to change the name of the city. 

• Thanks 1

I want the team colors to stay the same, but I don't even care if we have a fight song on the new branding

I'm a little disappointed that almost no one has even given any thought to my naming idea, the Washington Minutemen

On 12/26/2020 at 11:54 PM, jskins11 said:

If we did that then our colors would be the same as the NY Giants.

• Like 3

I think the only thing I feel strongly about is keeping burgundy and gold. It’s not only original in the nfl, but across all sports. The pats and Texans are already red white blue, no need to pile on.

as far as the survey, I answered 10 to every question; the ST21 jersey simply can not be retired.

thanks @jskins11

I just want to publicly apologize for my actions on this survey.  I know I didn't take this seriously, just like the last one.  I take full responsibility for putting the team at risk of being the Pink Panthers.  It was irresponsible and immature of me.  I've not spoken to coach Rivera about this incident but I just hope that wearing a pink hoodie and white fluffy tail won't be too much of a distraction. @dh-simba7

• Haha 3
On 12/27/2020 at 1:00 PM, carex said:

I'm a little disappointed that almost no one has even given any thought to my naming idea, the Washington Minutemen

Yeah, then all the people that have called us the Foreskins for as long as I remember would be making premature ejaculation jokes about us. No thanks. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

Yeah, then all the people that have called us the Foreskins for as long as I remember would be making premature ejaculation jokes about us. No thanks. 

I've never heard that once

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1