Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A well coached team

Burgold

After today's win we have doubled our win total from last year and we still have room to do even better. Before the season started I predicted 6-10 just because I thought that coaching matters in the NFL and I felt Gruden had lost the team and given up, the defensive coaches were jokes, and our talent was not reflective of our performance especially on D.

We're still not world beaters. We may not even be a good team though I'd argue we are starting to look like a legitimately good defense. But we are a team again. We make half time adjustments again and game plan to take advantage of an opponent's weaknesses instead of rolling out the same game plan week in and week out. An underrated moment was when Chase Young shouted that they had learned something from the Ravens-Steelers game that led to Washington's win over Pittsburgh. 

A well coached team is not a one-note team. 

I acknowledge this team still has glaring holes that we never really tried to address during offseason free agency and that those will ultimately hold us back, but you can't undo Bruce Allen in one year. However, we are beginning to look like a team again. We are beginning to look like a disciplined group who doesn't challenge for the most flagged team every year. We are starting to look like a well-coached team.

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

Remember 4 weeks ago when a subset of posters on this board wanted to fire Rivera?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

I don't begrudge fans that either. We looked AWFUL for a whole bunch of games especially in the first halves. Now, thankfully I found out that Rivera reads ES because I gave him the tip that turned the season around. 

If you notice after I wrote that the key to Washington winning was to stop spotting the opponent 17 point leads, they realized I was right and stopped doing that. Winning followed thereafter.

How many of the 6 (so far) wins have come when they were down at halftime?  To me that shows not only is the coaching good with the X's & O's but also that the players have bought into what the coaches are selling.  The fact that the team seems to get better as the game goes on. I don't know realistically expect for the 2021 season because I still believe there are lot of question marks on the team and the QB situation is still up in the air at the moment, but the way 2020 is playing out is it definitely has the makings of one of those under the radar big improvement performances in which when the following season comes and the team is really good, most of the national media and fans of other teams have no idea how the team got so good.  

We can hope, right?

Rivera brought respect to this organization and they've bought in into his program and the culture change is definitely into effect.  Guys like Jonathan Allen have been craving for somebody like him and it's been infectious to guys like Chase.   They've got a long way to go, but this is a very good start.

This team has developed significantly from day 1.  Young and Unproven players have taken significant steps forward (Thomas, Mckissic, Curl, Young, Payne, Sims, 71, Gibson) The Defense overall has only gotten better as a unit as the season has worn on, while flirting with total dominance on several occasions.  The Offense has had moments with barely passable qb play and still was able to move the ball and put up enough points to win. RR and JDR have been $$$$$, I really like the direction we are headed.

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

If you notice after I wrote that the key to Washington winning was to stop spotting the opponent 17 point leads, they realized I was right and stopped doing that. Winning followed thereafter.

To be fair...they spotted Pittsburgh 14 points. Soooo

This seem weird to anyone else?

Whenever the cameras show Coach Ron on the sidelines, he seems like he's meditating like a baseball manager in the dugout.  Not talking to anyone, screaming, or even talking on his boom-mic headset.  (actually, the mic boom is stowed upwards and not on his mouth - like the pic below).  Does he just let his coordinators do all the talking? 

I'd love to be in a live game and just watch what Coach does on the sidelines.

Ron Rivera cites 'gut feelings' for Washington Football Team quarterback  change

9 hours ago, Burgold said:

I acknowledge this team still has glaring holes that we never really tried to address during offseason free agency and that those will ultimately hold us back, but you can't undo Bruce Smith in one year.

can I just check this reference to Bruce Smith?

8 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

Rivera brought respect to this organization and they've bought in into his program and the culture change is definitely into effect.  Guys like Jonathan Allen have been craving for somebody like him and it's been infectious to guys like Chase.   They've got a long way to go, but this is a very good start.

I agree on Jon Allen. I think the previous regime, and losing mentality dragged him down. Now as a Captain, he has to try and lift that, but let’s be honest, the place was a shower of ****.

Jon Allen under this regime, evolved into a stud and leader. You can visibly see the consistent upturn in his performances.

IMO, the main reason for improvement is the coaching.  Dumb and untimely penalties have noticeably dropped, their football IQ appears higher, and halftime adjustments are successfully being made every game.  For example, it's as if the Dallas defense and the Washington defense have switched uniforms.  At times, Dallas appears totally confused on defense, which has been a familiar sight to us Team fans over the many years.  I credit and blame the coaching for the rise of one and the fall of the other.

On the subject of defense, the Team is getting virtually no support from the offense (#30 in YPG), yet it's ranked #4.  The other nine in the top ten get more support and some get significantly more support.

Top 10 Defenses (and where their offenses rank)

Rams (#5)

Saints (#12)

Steelers (#23)

WFT (#30)

49ers (15)

Colts (#9)

Bucs (17)

Packers (#2)

Chargers (#8)

Ravens (#21)

A successful football team must have talent and coaching.  Football is the ultimate team sport.  All three phases of the game (offense, defense, and special teams [shout out to Tress Way]) rely on each other to be successful.  Where would this defense be with even a top 15 offense?!!  And where would this offense be with even a top 15 QB?

Great coaching can take below average talent but so far.  This great coaching and this great defense and this well below average offense needs at least a decent QB.  It's the most important and most expensive position on the field for a reason.  And if they find a good to great one, we will have a perennial playoff team and possibly a football power for the next several years.

10 hours ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

We're going to get a lot more prime time games next year.

7 hours ago, Xplosive said:

Not without a QB we're not...

I disagree.  We're a young team on the rise with some of the most exciting players on defense in the NFL right now.  They're going to try to showcase some of that talent.  Didn't say we'd win the games or make noise w/o a QB, but we'll almost definitely make a couple prime time games.

Archived