Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: Cleveland’s Baseball Team Will Drop Its Indians Team Name. Guardians beats out Spiders and Steamers as new name.

Cooked Crack

On 12/15/2020 at 9:14 AM, skinsmarydu said:

Trust me, living here has been wild. "Your team has to, mine doesn't" kind of nonsense I've run into.

That's been the weird part of this whole journey.  I went to the University of Illinois when the Chief was still the school symbol (definitely not a mascot). And the argument was always, "why should we change when there's still a team called the Redskins?"

Then our fans would argue, "At least we don't do the Tomahawk chop and turn their culture into some Neanderthal war chanting. We're not even the worst offenders."

And Braves fans would contend, "yeah but look at Chief Wahoo.  We're not even that bad. Cleveland needs to fix their issues first."

And Indians fans would counter with, "OK Chief Wahoo is clearly a cartoonish caricature, but Chief Illiniwek actually appropriates sacred religious garments and dancing and turns it into a halftime show. The University of Illinois needs to fix their issue."

• Thanks 1

How did Cleveland just like, uh, change the name? Like, they uh… didn’t go two seasons without a name? Something is wrong. Aren’t they supposed to drag it out and come up with some big social media blitz to hype up the next name?

How the **** are they supposed to underwhelm their fans for the millionth time if the just change it suddenly like this?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

How did Cleveland just like, uh, change the name? Like, they uh… didn’t go two seasons without a name? Something is wrong. Aren’t they supposed to drag it out and come up with some big social media blitz to hype up the next name?

How the **** are they supposed to underwhelm their fans for the millionth time if the just change it suddenly like this?

And have a logo ready and font? Trademarks. Almost like they've been working it for years and didn't have a Bruce Allen/Larry Michael brain trust who probably did zero of that. Dollars to doughnuts says they've been working on this for years as a plan b for when it was just about forced. You don't go from "we have over a thousand names" to "here is a every except the new uniforms" this fast without a lot happening on the legal and design side for a while. 

• Cooked Crack changed the title to NYT: Cleveland’s Baseball Team Will Drop Its Indians Team Name. Guardians beats out Spiders and Steamers as new name.

Guardians, Spiders, and Steamers?  Those are the best they can come up with?  

Still.  I guess when the thing your city is the most famous for, is the Browns. . . . 

19 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I'm certain they will find a way.  

Edited by Larry

People who still believe this is all about being PC crack me up. In a way it is, but it's not about anyone's feelings, it is about MONEY, just like always.
The name is outdated. And who says it's outdated? The next generation of fans. Increasingly, young people are making choices on what they will buy, who they will support based on political ideals. Much much much more-so than when most of us decided which teams we follow.

Sports franchises life's blood is in that next generation, and the generation following that. 

But nobody cares or caves to protest. Boycotts rarely work. Protests never do.

Feelings do not make change.
Money that can be made or lost does. 

~Bang

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Bang said:

People who still believe this is all about being PC crack me up. In a way it is, but it's not about anyone's feelings, it is about MONEY, just like always.
The name is outdated. And who says it's outdated? The next generation of fans. Increasingly, young people are making choices on what they will buy, who they will support based on political ideals. Much much much more-so than when most of us decided which teams we follow.

Sports franchises life's blood is in that next generation, and the generation following that. 

But nobody cares or caves to protest. Boycotts rarely work. Protests never do.

Feelings do not make change.
Money that can be made or lost does. 

~Bang

yeah, but was guardians really a better name? It’s kinda cheesy.  I dont think cities are taking down statues because it makes them more money.... 

All to say, which is why I hope Football Team rolls with Football team.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

yeah, but was guardians really a better name? It’s kinda cheesy. Which is why I hope Football Team rolls with Football team.

Let's be honest what's not cheesy about names like "Yankees", "Cowboys" and "Lakers". The names of teams are cheesy when it comes down to it but there has to be an identity beyond calling yourself "Football Team ".

• Thanks 1

On the one hand, Bang is correct.  Getting away from NA monikers is just good business at this point.  And the right thing to, all around.

But on the other…dropping a meh deal like Guardians with no fanfare mid-season.  Well, that’s very Cleveland.  And sure doesn’t seem like good business.

If they win, it’ll be ok.  But they won’t.  

They’ll be the Fraudians or the Gherkins by 2025.  Bags on heads, Major League reboot…the whole 9 yards.   It’s Cleveland.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 10:18 PM, ClaytoAli said:

Atlanta needs to follow

Yes, they do but it's the Cobb County Braves now. That team has nothing to do with the ATL. As for Guardians, ugh.😧 That and Les Boulez changing to the "Withards" is what scares me about our name change.

16 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Let's be honest what's not cheesy about names like "Yankees", "Cowboys" and "Lakers". The names of teams are cheesy when it comes down to it but there has to be an identity beyond calling yourself "Football Team ".

Well, they are OG... the Football Team sounds OG aswell... gardians is so new***

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

yeah, but was guardians really a better name? It’s kinda cheesy.  I dont think cities are taking down statues because it makes them more money.... 

All to say, which is why I hope Football Team rolls with Football team.

I have a feeling they all sound cheesy to start off with, lets face it, most of them are. We just haven't seen too many teams change names in our lifetimes,, so it's all going to be weird. 
They need time to steep, then it'll be business as usual.

~Bang

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Oh yea, it doesn’t bother me, but I mean, they shoulda game up with some cool like space ballers or maybe The Aliens. A little futuristic flair is all I’m asking for...

Space- Ballers would be EPIC.

~EPIC!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

On the one hand, Bang is correct.  Getting away from NA monikers is just good business at this point.  And the right thing to, all around.

But on the other…dropping a meh deal like Guardians with no fanfare mid-season.  Well, that’s very Cleveland.  And sure doesn’t seem like good business.

If they win, it’ll be ok.  But they won’t.  

They’ll be the Fraudians or the Gherkins by 2025.  Bags on heads, Major League reboot…the whole 9 yards.   It’s Cleveland.

I'm guessing they decided to drop the new name now because we're in that time of the year where sports news is slow.  After the MLB All-Star game, after the NBA finals and right before the start of NFL TC.  And this year before the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.  Dropping it now gives them more eyes and more national talking heads discussing it which means more buzz.