Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

8 minutes ago, zskins said:

Logic: When you have a fever is that a side effect or a reaction to an invasion of virus in your body?

Was something injected into you that caused the fever? 

I guess that's where I get lost on the word play. 

Edit..that said, my very limited understanding was that things that don't involve the immune system are generally considered side effects. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Was something injected into you that caused the fever? 

I guess that's where I get lost on the word play. 

Edit..that said, my very limited understanding was that things that don't involve the immune system are generally considered side effects. 

Think of it this way. A virus injects its self into your body or someone does it for you. It is not how it got there it is what the body is doing to stop it.

A pill makes you have cramps and bloating is a side effect and not a reaction is how I look at it too. 

3 minutes ago, zskins said:

Maybe they don't understand English. ;) Or just maybe that was typed up by someone who didn't even take Biology. Think about that.... hmmmm

By the way I was corrected by a doctor when I was saying side effect and was told to not use that word as fever is a reaction not a side effect. Which made sense to me since I took Biology and was a pre-med student and worked in a hospital.

Logic: When you have a fever is that a side effect or a reaction to an invasion of virus in your body?

"I took Biology and worked in a hospital" is possibly the lamest appeal to authority ever, but setting that aside, the CDC also uses the exact wording "side effects" in their FAQ for healthcare professionals, i.e., actual doctors: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/hcp/faq.html:

Common side effects include:

Local reactions:

• Pain
  • Redness
  • Swelling

Systemic reactions:

• Tiredness
  • Headache
  • Muscle pain
  • Chills
  • Fever
  • Nausea

Note that fever is not the only thing listed, by a long shot.

Generally speaking, the advice you've been distributing in this thread has been benign, if somewhat inaccurate (for example, the idea that you shouldn't take pain relievers for 6 hours after vaccination is based on a few studies done with a different vaccine in children, and as far as I can tell hasn't generalized, and the CDC doesn't say you shouldn't, but it doesn't really hurt to avoid ibuprofen either, so whatever), but you need to understand that you are not an expert in any way and you should probably stop speaking as if you have the authority of one.

This is particularly true in THIS case, where @Skinsfan1311's wife actually sought REAL medical advice from an actual doctor, but it's not as cut and dried automatically safe in certain edge cases, despite your assurances. For example https://yalehealth.yale.edu/yale-covid-19-vaccine-program/who-should-and-shouldnt-get-covid-19-vaccine Note that this does NOT say "seek advice from guy who took Biology in college".

• People with a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to any component of the COVID-19 vaccine should NOT receive the vaccine.
  • People with a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to any vaccine or injectable (intramuscular or intravenous) medication should consult with their health provider to assess risk prior to receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

*Burps*

I don't trust the media at all.  They should be talking about all the illegals bringing Covid here.

*Farts*

But they don't, because it doesn't fit their narrative.

*Chugs Mountain Dew*

Also, covid is a hoax that has a 99.7 survival rate.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, techboy said:

"I took Biology and worked in a hospital" is possibly the lamest appeal to authority ever, but setting that aside, the CDC also uses the exact wording "side effects" in their FAQ for healthcare professionals, i.e., actual doctors: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/hcp/faq.html:

Common side effects include:

Local reactions:

• Pain
  • Redness
  • Swelling

Systemic reactions:

• Tiredness
  • Headache
  • Muscle pain
  • Chills
  • Fever
  • Nausea

Note that fever is not the only thing listed, by a long shot.

Generally speaking, the advice you've been distributing in this thread has been benign, if somewhat inaccurate (for example, the idea that you shouldn't take pain relievers for 6 hours after vaccination is based on a few studies done with a different vaccine in children, and as far as I can tell hasn't generalized, and the CDC doesn't say you shouldn't, but it doesn't really hurt to avoid ibuprofen either, so whatever), but you need to understand that you are not an expert in any way and you should probably stop speaking as if you have the authority of one.

This is particularly true in THIS case, where @Skinsfan1311's wife actually sought REAL medical advice from an actual doctor, but it's not as cut and dried automatically safe in certain edge cases, despite your assurances. For example https://yalehealth.yale.edu/yale-covid-19-vaccine-program/who-should-and-shouldnt-get-covid-19-vaccine Note that this does NOT say "seek advice from guy who took Biology in college".

• People with a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to any component of the COVID-19 vaccine should NOT receive the vaccine.
  • People with a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to any vaccine or injectable (intramuscular or intravenous) medication should consult with their health provider to assess risk prior to receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.

Local reactions and Systemic reactions. Thank you for proving my point. The fact that I know **** doesn't mean I am stupid. I do have understanding of the human biology. Do you really think I say things without knowing my stuff or know how it works. Please. It was a doctor who told me about the pain killers. Then I did my own look up and found it to be true right on CDC's website....huh? Maybe they don't have doctors who know their **** as well. 

In case you think it is not true...

Can I take painkillers before or after a COVID-19 vaccine?

Don’t take them before a shot to try to prevent symptoms, but if your doctor agrees, it’s OK to use them afterward if needed.

The concern about painkillers is that they might curb the very immune system response that a vaccine aims to spur. Vaccines work by tricking the body into thinking it has a virus and mounting a defense against it. That may cause temporary arm soreness, fever, muscle aches or other symptoms of inflammation — signs the vaccine is doing its job.

27 minutes ago, zskins said:

Local reactions and Systemic reactions. Thank you for proving my point. The fact that I know **** doesn't mean I am stupid. I do have understanding of the human biology. Do you really think I say things without knowing my stuff or know how it works. Please. It was a doctor who told me about the pain killers. Then I did my own look up and found it to be true right on CDC's website....huh? Maybe they don't have doctors who know their **** as well. 

In case you think it is not true...

Can I take painkillers before or after a COVID-19 vaccine?

Don’t take them before a shot to try to prevent symptoms, but if your doctor agrees, it’s OK to use them afterward if needed.

The concern about painkillers is that they might curb the very immune system response that a vaccine aims to spur. Vaccines work by tricking the body into thinking it has a virus and mounting a defense against it. That may cause temporary arm soreness, fever, muscle aches or other symptoms of inflammation — signs the vaccine is doing its job.

Yeah, okay.

1. I didn't suggest that you are stupid, just that you are overselling your expertise. 

2. The heading is literally "side effects". I don't understand why you've latched on to the idea that the vaccine has no side effects, but even though it's a layman's term, it's very clear that the vaccine can and often does have side effects.

3. That CDC article is what I was referring to earlier. There's nothing there about waiting 6 hours, something you have repeated many times. Again, it's not a big deal... the worst that can happen by waiting 6 hours is a little unnecessary soreness, but it's another example of you overselling your expertise through confident statements that aren't always 100% accurate.

None of this is important, though, and I kind of regret getting involved. As already noted, your comments are pretty benign in the grand scheme of things, so it probably would have been better to continue my general practice of eyerolling at your purported expertise rather than pointing this out.

Carry on. 

Edited by techboy

3 hours ago, PeterMP said:

The 6.3% appears to come from testing that is being done in TX.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/immigrants-covid-texas-abbott/

They are being tested after their "release" and if they come up positive they are offered resources to help them quarantine.

And that's based on a rapid test which I'm guessing then must be an antibody test, which means people that had it and recovered, but are still making antibodies will test positive.  Also just a less accurate test in general.  I wouldn't put much faith in that as a percent of people that HAVE Covid.  The flip side of that is there doesn't appear to be any support for the right wing talking point of lots of people actually with Covid coming over the border.

(I doubt he's going to actually respond to your questions.  He's failed to respond constructively to any question I've asked.  Either moved the goal post sort of response or ignored it.)

Yes, the Texas Republican Death Cult isn't above skewing anything into something that supports their white supremist talking points. Have I mentioned recently how much I despise the Republican Death Cult here in Texas?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, techboy said:

Yeah, okay.

1. I didn't suggest that you are stupid, just that you are overselling your expertise. 

2. The heading is literally "side effects". I don't understand why you've latched on to the idea that the vaccine has no side effects, but even though it's a layman's term, it's very clear that the vaccine can and often does have side effects.

3. That CDC article is what I was referring to earlier. There's nothing there about waiting 6 hours, something you have repeated many times. Again, it's not a big deal... the worst that can happen by waiting 6 hours is a little unnecessary soreness, but it's another example of you overselling your expertise through confident statements that aren't always 100% accurate.

None of this is important, though, and I kind of regret getting involved. As already noted, your comments are pretty benign in the grand scheme of things, so it probably would have been better to continue my general practice of eyerolling at your purported expertise rather than pointing this out.

Carry on. 

Not over selling just telling my background so people don't think I making up **** like people are on twitter and stuff without any real knowledge on how things work in real life. I was just repeating what I was told by a real doctor and the 6 hour thing. The doctor told me the CDC is recommending this and said they listen to recommendation from CDC. 

I am latched on because a side effect is different than a reaction. They are so close but yet so different. 

Sure carry on....

38 minutes ago, zskins said:

Not over selling just telling my background so people don't think I making up **** like people are on twitter and stuff without any real knowledge on how things work in real life.

Even if you actually had an undergraduate DEGREE in Biology (which I don't think you do, because we'd have heard about it in every post), it would not give you one iota of credibility, so here's a pro tip... If you want people to think that you actually know what you're talking about, provide a link to an actual expert. Undergraduate work is meaningless. Even medical students are famous for self-diagnosing: https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/i-contracted-medical-student-syndrome-you-probably-will-too

There are people here who have the credibility to provide comments without citation (for example, the geneticist at the Mayo Clinic who actually works with mRNA vaccines). You ain't one of them. Sorry.

As for the rest, I have decided that instead of responding to you I am going to mock myself with this cartoon:

duty_calls.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, techboy said:

Even if you actually had an undergraduate DEGREE in Biology (which I don't think you do, because we'd have heard about it in every post), it would not give you one iota of credibility, so here's a pro tip... If you want people to think that you actually know what you're talking about, provide a link to an actual expert. Undergraduate work is meaningless. Even medical students are famous for self-diagnosing: https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/i-contracted-medical-student-syndrome-you-probably-will-too

There are people here who have the credibility to provide comments without citation (for example, the geneticist at the Mayo Clinic who actually works with mRNA vaccines). You ain't one of them. Sorry.

As for the rest, I have decided that instead of responding to you I am going to mock myself with this cartoon:

duty_calls.png

I could post my pre-med degree but then you will think it is fake anyway. Actually, I really don't care what you believe. By the way, I never said I was a doctor or a geneticist....I might be really slow since you are the real expert here and can enlighten me....What books do doctors read and study before they become doctors? Isn't mRNA and DNA not taught in Biology? Of course not. Real doctors read and study something that a biology student never has...lol

Anyway. I am done here.

This is great news.

DoD Has Had 1,640 COVID 'Breakthrough' Cases Among Vaccinated Beneficiaries

The Defense Department has logged more than 1,640 "breakthrough" cases of COVID-19 in beneficiaries who have been fully vaccinated, including 24 cases requiring hospitalization, the head of the Defense Health Agency said Thursday.

There have been no deaths connected with the breakthrough cases. And with more than 1.5 million people within the DoD fully vaccinated, data shows that vaccine effectiveness is exceeding the 95% efficacy rates seen in clinical trials, Army Lt. Gen. Ronald Place said during a briefing with reporters.

"If you do the math, [the vaccine is] 99.9% effective for our beneficiaries in preventing infection, 99.999% effective at preventing hospitalizations and 100% effective at preventing death," Place said. "That's incredible."

Rest of article at this link:  https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/05/21/dod-has-had-1640-covid-breakthrough-cases-among-vaccinated-beneficiaries.html

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 2

I guess this is to be expected from states like Alabama:

Second mass vaccination closes in Birmingham in a week

A second mass vaccination clinic in Alabama’s largest metro area is closing within days of an earlier shutdown because of low demand, but health officials said COVID-19 immunizations remain available for most anyone who wants one.

With only about a quarter of Alabama’s roughly 5 million people fully vaccinated and the rate of immunizations down sharply in just a few weeks, health officials are concerned that many of those who haven’t already received a shot simply aren’t willing.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 3

Unvaccinated Americans are less worried about traveling than vaccinated Americans are, study says

Vaccinated and unvaccinated Americans have different attitudes about the idea of traveling this spring, according to the findings from a marketing technology company. And they’re not different in the way you might assume.

With travel bookings surging, data from New York-based Zeta Global indicates that unvaccinated Americans appear more comfortable traveling — and to more densely-populated places — than vaccinated people.

Vaccinated people waiting longer to travel
Zeta Global conducted a survey of 3,700 U.S. consumers in mid-March and combined the results with information on those respondents’ hotel and airport visits in February and March.  

In the survey, 67% of vaccinated respondents said they will not travel until the end of May, but only 59% of unvaccinated Americans indicated they would wait that long. 

Vaccinated care more about health measures

More than 80% of vaccinated people who took the survey said they were concerned about the public health restrictions in place at intended destinations, compared with only 38% of unvaccinated travelers who shared that concern.

It’s possible that vaccinated people feel more comfortable traveling when there are health restrictions in place, while unvaccinated travelers are more interested in how local restrictions will limit their trip, said David Steinberg, Zeta Global’s CEO.

The survey indicated that 62% of unvaccinated travelers are “not at all” concerned with public health restrictions at their travel destinations, while only 19% of vaccinated travelers said the same.

White House enlists dating apps in vaccination push

The White House is hoping that the urge to merge will motivate more Americans to get vaccinated, teaming up with nine of the largest dating sites to offer badges and other perks to those who have gotten their COVID-19 shot.

Why it matters: The White House has an ambitious goal to get 70% of American adults to have had at least their first vaccine shot by July 4.

Details: Different sites are offering various types of premium content such as boosts, super likes and super swipes to those who get vaccinated as well as ways for people to share their vaccination status in their profile.

Those taking part include Tinder, OkCupid, Bumble, Badoo, BLK, Hinge, Chispa, Match and Plenty of Fish.

Between the lines: According to research from OkCupid, people who are vaccinated or plan to get vaccinated receive 14% more matches than people who don’t plan to get vaccinated.