Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Covid Vaccine Thread


Recommended Posts

I don’t give a **** if that’s why someone gets their kids vaccinated. 
 

the kids don’t get to choose. 
 

so if that’s what it takes for you to do the right thing for your kids then good. 
 

I mean **** you but at least your kid is getting vaccinated. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tshile said:

I don’t give a **** if that’s why someone gets their kids vaccinated. 
 

the kids don’t get to choose. 
 

so if that’s what it takes for you to do the right thing for your kids then good. 
 

I mean **** you but at least your kid is getting vaccinated. 

 

Just curious, what post were you replying to?  

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

People vaccinated against Covid-19 can go without masks indoors and outdoors, CDC says

 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/13/health/cdc-mask-guidance-vaccinated/index.html

 

Quote

People fully vaccinated against Covid-19 do not need to wear masks or practice social distancing indoors or outdoors, except under certain circumstances, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Thursday.

 

"If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic," Dr. Rochelle Walensky said during a White House Covid-19 briefing. "We have all longed for this moment when we can get back to some sense of normalcy."

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks to these miracles in a bottle, i just went out to eat at a restaurant for the first time in over a year (had only been doing takeout). weird feeling, but good to be back!

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, tshile said:

The lottery one 

I think more people are interested in that 1 million dollar vaccine lottery. Sure a scholarship is nice but **** them kids, give me the loot.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mammajamma said:

thanks to these miracles in a bottle, i just went out to eat at a restaurant for the first time in over a year (had only been doing takeout). weird feeling, but good to be back!

 

Once I hit 2 weeks post vax, I've been open to eating out at an indoor place, but there are so many outdoor dining options now, and it's nice, there's no point in eating inside.  

 

Hope your meal was good.  My first meal outdoors this year was at Bresca in a glass igloo (picture below is not mine).  Since then, we've eaten out just about every weekend we can get a sitter.  

 

Dine Outside in Igloos, Yurts, and Lodges This Winter at DC-Area Restaurants

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

 

Once I hit 2 weeks post vax, I've been open to eating out at an indoor place, but there are so many outdoor dining options now, and it's nice, there's no point in eating inside.  

 

Hope your meal was good.  My first meal outdoors this year was at Bresca in a glass igloo (picture below is not mine).  Since then, we've eaten out just about every weekend we can get a sitter.  

nice! today is actually the day that my wife and i are 2 weeks post vax. went to an outdoor patio that wasnt too crowded for lunch. we'll probably hit up a large, outdoor brewery next. dont think we're ready for indoors quite yet, even though everyone says its fine now. baby steps, but man it's nice to even do that stuff again. and like you said, its nice out, so no rush to get indoors anyway

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

 

Perspective from a top virologist.

 

 

The vaccines are extremely effective at preventing infections - the data says it.

Other epidemiologists question whether the vaccines alone are preventing infections or if it’s a combination of the vaccines with others wearing masks.  They are hesitant about the CDC’s guidance.

 

Personally, I’m at the point now where I’ll carry a mask around with me, but only throw it on if I go into a store or place that requires it.  I also have two unvaccinated children at home.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear Liver,

 

I hope you enjoyed being able to relax this past year.  Now it’s time to get back to work.  Masks are off and bars are open.  Get your game face on, it’s time to party.

 

-TGB

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Other epidemiologists question whether the vaccines alone are preventing infections or if it’s a combination of the vaccines with others wearing masks.  They are hesitant about the CDC’s guidance.


Eric Feigl-Ding is not an epidemiologist. He’s a clout chaser, who has a background in nutrition and somehow spun a loose connection with Harvard into convincing people he’s an expert in virology. 
 

He’s pretty much the Alex Berenson of left wing COVID fear porn.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:


Eric Feigl-Ding is not an epidemiologist. He’s a clout chaser, who has a background in nutrition and somehow spun a loose connection with Harvard into convincing people he’s an expert in virology. 
 

He’s pretty much the Alex Berenson of left wing COVID fear porn.

https://scholar.harvard.edu/ericfeiglding/bio
 

This bio on Harvard’s site says he has a doctorate in epidemiology from Harvard after graduating from JHU.    Is this a lie? 
 

How would a layman like me know?  I don’t want to post things from non experts.  It’s not like I’m quoting Dr. Oz here.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

https://scholar.harvard.edu/ericfeiglding/bio
 

This bio on Harvard’s site says he has a doctorate in epidemiology from Harvard after graduating from JHU.    Is this a lie? 
 

How would a layman like me know?  I don’t want to post things from non experts.  It’s not like I’m quoting Dr. Oz here.  
 

 

 

https://undark.org/2020/11/25/complicated-rise-of-eric-feigl-ding

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’m learning something here.  He is an epidemiologist, but not an expert in the field of infectious disease.  I did not know that distinction honestly.


Understandable, and that’s his MO. He fudges his credentials and over-exaggerates his expertise. 
 

Ultimately, the problem with him is that he’s mostly interested in making things go viral, with little regard for the accuracy or truthfulness of what he’s saying. His ongoing social media efforts are basically a sad attempt at keeping vaccinated people scared of COVID. My cynical take is that he knows that the end of the pandemic through mass vaccinations is also the end for what brought him social media clout.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'll point out that I'm not an epidemiologist at all.  But I think his post is factually correct.

 

There are two caveats:

 

1.  The CDC is not suggesting that we rely on vaccines alone.  Based on CDC guidance, the 30% that aren't vaccinated should still wear masks.  That will lower the numbers.  And even for the vaccinated, the CDC isn't saying never wear a masks (e.g. airplanes they are still saying wear a mask).  So the numbers are based on a situation the CDC doesn't support.  (Though it might be  a situation that essentially happens as it seems the unvaccinated are unlikely to wear masks.)

 

2.  The number don't appear to take into account the same things that are true for the vaccinated are likely true for people that have been infected and recovered (thought maybe not to the same extent).  It appears to treat the 30% that are unvaccinated as being able to easily and readily get and spread the disease.  But if 70% are vaccinated just the way things are working a large percent of those 30% are likely already going have had Covid and presumably (likely) the same things that apply to the vaccinated are going to apply (they will be less likely to get it, if they do get it will less likely to be bad, and they will probably have lower viral loads meaning it less likely they will pass it on and pass it on in a manner that people will have high viral loads, though probably not to the same extant as the vaccinated).

 

(Attacking the person is ALWAYS a weak argument.  Attack the argument, and if you can't, then you probably shouldn't really say anything.)

Edited by PeterMP
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'll also point out that the general consensus is moving away from us being able to acquire herd immunity and there being regular outbreaks.

 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00728-2

 

(I suspect we're looking at something akin to a new seasonal flu where hopefully in most cases prior exposure/vaccination gives you some protection from future infections.

 

Feigl-Ding appears to be completely correct that with 70% vaccination we're never really going to get rid of Covid.  The question becomes how bad is it going to be (and like the normal flu that might differ from year-to-year)

 

I don't think it is all outrageous to suggest that if we are on a track to get back to "normal" is questionable.  That'll depend on things that aren't clear year about the evolution of this virus.).

Edited by PeterMP
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...