Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

30 minutes ago, tshile said:

@bcl05

What are your thoughts on getting J&J initially and switching to an mRNA booster?

If they don’t stop it and I have a choice what should I chose? Is there value in switching? Value in sticking to the same thing? Etc. 

Well, I don't think we really KNOW, so take this all as my best guess as of today.  

I do expect that we will all need boosters, regardless of what vaccine we got.  We don't really know how long to expect immunity from any of these vaccines to last.  It's possible that it will be lifelong, but probably more likely that it will wane over time.  Also, viruses change and mutate, and COVID19 already has some, and will again.  Also, there are too many unvaccinated people in the world (either because of lack of resources in the third world or sheer stupidity in developed countries like ours) to ever expect this to really be reduced to the point where it won't be a worry.  

I don't really think there is any major benefit (or risk) to switching - all the current vaccines are built around immunity against the spike protein, regardless of whether it is delivered by mRNA (pfizer and moderna) or adenoviral vector (JNJ).  

Long term, I don't think we will have as many options.  It's great that there were so many different companies all working in parallel on vaccines for this virus, but in the long term, that doesn't seem very efficient for the market in general.  I suspect that one company will ultimately emerge as the major long-term C19 vaccine maker, and I'd bet on one of the mRNA ones, given that they are simpler to make and also simpler to update to new variants.  

• Thanks 6

59 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

Well, I don't think we really KNOW, so take this all as my best guess as of today.  

I do expect that we will all need boosters, regardless of what vaccine we got.  We don't really know how long to expect immunity from any of these vaccines to last.  It's possible that it will be lifelong, but probably more likely that it will wane over time.  Also, viruses change and mutate, and COVID19 already has some, and will again.  Also, there are too many unvaccinated people in the world (either because of lack of resources in the third world or sheer stupidity in developed countries like ours) to ever expect this to really be reduced to the point where it won't be a worry.  

I don't really think there is any major benefit (or risk) to switching - all the current vaccines are built around immunity against the spike protein, regardless of whether it is delivered by mRNA (pfizer and moderna) or adenoviral vector (JNJ).  

Long term, I don't think we will have as many options.  It's great that there were so many different companies all working in parallel on vaccines for this virus, but in the long term, that doesn't seem very efficient for the market in general.  I suspect that one company will ultimately emerge as the major long-term C19 vaccine maker, and I'd bet on one of the mRNA ones, given that they are simpler to make and also simpler to update to new variants.  

Posted earlier in this thread, but it is reported that Pfizer is already working on a 3rd shot booster that will address some of the variants:

COVID vaccine test subjects getting 3rd shot in fight against variants

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

After the issues ND had with COVID, you'd think they would welcome the vaccine.  Dumbasses.

And what's up with Wyoming?  Or maybe that's because there's only about 3 people in each county and if 1 says no, then you're at the high end of the scale.

I guess Mississippi is no surprise considering they have one of the worst educations systems in the country.

After what the counties around Atlanta did in the election, you'd think and hope they'd be smarter.  Apparently not.

• Like 1

Wife got here second shot this afternoon.  Her arm is sore, has a small fever, and generally feels like ****.  Said it feels like she just worked 48 hours straight (like she’d know how that feels).

Told her she sounded like a little ****.  Told her to take some Tylenol and she said she already did.  Told her to try a cup of concrete mix.  She asked why.  I said “to harden the **** up, ****!”

Guess who is sleeping in the recliner tonight.

• Haha 12

NFL: Team employees who refuse vaccination without 'bona fide' reason barred from restricted areas

As the vaccination effort continues across the United States, the NFL is adopting the latest measures to improve and ensure the safety of those working within the league.

In a Tuesday memo obtained by NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, the league informed clubs their Tier 1 and 2 employees (excluding players) "should be expected to be vaccinated unless they have a bona fide medical or religious ground for not doing so." Those who refuse vaccination without either a religious or medical reason will not be eligible for Tier 1 or 2 status "and therefore will not be permitted access to the 'football only' restricted area and may not work directly or in close proximity with players," per the memo.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

9 hours ago, China said:

After the issues ND had with COVID, you'd think they would welcome the vaccine.  Dumbasses.

You obviously don’t know anyone who lives in ND

thats “scientists are stupid god will protect me” to the core.  I’ve never met so many people from one specific state that were so universally ignorant. 

• Sad 1

I wanted to post a quick thought on the concern these MRNA vaccines are just new technology.  I believe they have been researched for as long as I have been alive.  As it was explained to me, they have been theoretically doable.  I think the research into this just recently developed scalable effective vacines, but I think biontech has been working on them for at least 5 or 6 years before joining with Pfizer.  I remember reading about them back when I invested in Pfizer (before I got out when I decided I did not want to make money off peoples' illnesses).  They have been and are still working with MRNA treatments for various cancers.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gbear said:

I wanted to post a quick thought on the concern these MRNA vaccines are just new technology.  I believe they have been researched for as long as I have been alive.  As it was explained to me, they have been theoretically doable.  I think the research into this just recently developed scalable effective vacines, but I think biontech has been working on them for at least 5 or 6 years before joining with Pfizer.  I remember reading about them back when I invested in Pfizer (before I got out when I decided I did not want to make money off peoples' illnesses).  They have been and are still working with MRNA treatments for various cancers.

mRNA research never got the approval that it got because of covid-19. The concept and research is very old and was doable even back in the 1990's. There wasn't enough evidence/trials for its effectiveness to get approved. You can thank covid-19 for bringing mRNA into the lime light and approval and production. Now more cures can happen with this old/new tech. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, gbear said:

Yup - the research was sparked in 1971 by the frog/rabbit mRNA transfer experiment in the UK.

The first animal trial for an mRNA vaccine was in 1993 (mice), which successfully produced T-cell responses against the flu, and then eventually antibody responses against the flu and the RSV respiratory virus.

• Like 2

I got a text from the city of LA saying everyone 16+ was now eligible for vaccine appointments, but when I go to signup everything is booked or the clinic is closed. I tried going to a couple random pharmacies near me to see if they had leftovers, but got denied. Guess I'll keep waiting. I am hoping to travel to France in July so hopefully soon.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

I got a text from the city of LA saying everyone 16+ was now eligible for vaccine appointments, but when I go to signup everything is booked or the clinic is closed. I tried going to a couple random pharmacies near me to see if they had leftovers, but got denied. Guess I'll keep waiting. I am hoping to travel to France in July so hopefully soon.

We do alot of international travel where I work, and there isn't alot of optimism that travel to France will even be allowed until mid to late July, with most likely August. 

So...I wish you luck and hope our salespeople in Europe are wrong

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The day after dose 2 is no joke (for some of us). Flu like body aches and pounding headache here.

Totally worth it..just glad the State gives me specific covid-19 related time to take off. Catching up on DVR stuff (Debris, Nancy Drew) and hopefully reading. 

I actually found out the other day my job is paying us to take it. 4 hours. Noice 

• Like 7