Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Covid Vaccine Thread


Cooked Crack
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 1/13/2021 at 4:54 AM, Bacon said:

California announced that educators are getting their vaccines in early February. It would be amazing if I could have my first dose by my 30th birthday on the on 13th and have my second dose almost a year to the day that our first lockdown happened. 

i'm getting vaccinated tomorrow. I'm considered 1a status. I work in the lab for a biotech company that makes orphan drugs. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Biden: We'll 'manage the hell' out of feds' COVID response

 

President-elect Joe Biden pledged Friday to boost supplies of coronavirus vaccine and set up new vaccination sites to meet his goal of 100 million shots in 100 days. It’s part of a broader COVID strategy that also seeks to straighten out snags in testing and ensure minority communities are not left out.

 

“Some wonder if we are reaching too far,” Biden said. “Let me be clear, I’m convinced we can get it done.”

 

The real payoff, Biden said, will come from uniting the nation in a new effort grounded in science.

 

Biden spoke a day after unveiling a $1.9 trillion “American Rescue Plan” to confront the virus and provide temporary support for a shaky economy. About $400 billion of the plan is focused on measures aimed at controlling the virus. Those range from mass vaccination centers to more sophisticated scientific analysis of new strains and squads of local health workers to trace the contacts of infected people.

 

“You have my word: We will manage the hell out of this operation,” Biden declared. He underscored a need for Congress to approve more money and for people to keep following basic precautions, such as wearing masks, avoiding gatherings and frequently washing their hands.

 

Click on the link for the full article

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see the vaccine rollout continues to be screwed up.

 

So my wife, a healthcare worker who got her first dose of the vaccine a couple of weeks ago, has been told by Fairfax County that they don't have enough vaccine and she can't get a second dose.  Or at least they have no idea when they will have enough vaccine that she will be able to get a second dose.

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, China said:

I see the vaccine rollout continues to be screwed up.

 

So my wife, a healthcare worker who got her first dose of the vaccine a couple of weeks ago, has been told by Fairfax County that they don't have enough vaccine and she can't get a second dose.  Or at least they have no idea when they will have enough vaccine that she will be able to get a second dose.

 

My wife is an nurse and just got her first last week.  What happens if you don't get your second dose in a timely fashion?  Do you have to start all over and get 2 doses, or you just get the second one when you get it and it doesn't really matter when it is? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say, I don't know why we have to wait 5-10 years for vaccines now.  The world has established you can do whatever you want.  And they swear up and down no corners were cut on safety.  Yes, most vaccines aren't as critical as this one, and won't have the resources and urgency pumped into this one, but I would think efficiencies and ineffeciencies in vaccine development have been identified to where at least a little time could be shaved off.  I might think you might see a boost in the number of people getting into epidemiology which should only help vaccine development for future generations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/15/2021 at 5:39 PM, Springfield said:

I head Biden is pushing a vaccine rollout. Can anyone explain how that’s supposed to work?


I realize some tweets have been posted to answer this but, to be direct:

basically trumps plan was to tell the states to figure it out on their own. 
 

yeah I know about operation war speed and all, but what he says and what he does are two different things. And what he did was put together no central leadership or control on it. And the result is a lot of states are having a hard time doing things efficiently and manufacturers and distributors are all sort of chickens with their heads cut off. 
 

at one point one of the manufacturers put out a public statement, after seeing their name drug through the mud in the media, that essentially said:

we have plenty ready to go. The government has not told us where to send them. We meet with them weekly. They’re aware of what we have they simply haven’t done their job in telling us where to send them. 
 

so Biden is going to do what any sensible adult in charge of a crisis would do - set up central management and actually work together with key stakeholders to make things go as smoothly as possible. 
 

because basic tenants like that are non-existent in the trump world. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, justice98 said:

 

My wife is an nurse and just got her first last week.  What happens if you don't get your second dose in a timely fashion?  Do you have to start all over and get 2 doses, or you just get the second one when you get it and it doesn't really matter when it is? 


There shouldn’t be any significant efficacy gap if your booster dose is delayed. Key word there is “shouldn’t” because it hasn’t been tested. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

 

My wife is an nurse and just got her first last week.  What happens if you don't get your second dose in a timely fashion?  Do you have to start all over and get 2 doses, or you just get the second one when you get it and it doesn't really matter when it is? 

 

1)  I doubt that there's any hard data on what the effect would be, from that.  Nor is there likely to be any.  To get such data, you'd have to convince a bunch of volunteers, tens of thousands of them, to do it.  Under controlled conditions.  

 

2)  I did read some of the data from Mederna's application for emergency use.  Their protocol was an injection.  And then, 28 days later, a 2nd.  

 

But, as long as the patient was in the office on Day 28, getting a shot, they also drew a blood sample, and tested for Covid antibodies.  And over 90% of patients had antibodies, 28 days after the 1st shot.  Suggesting that the first shot granted immunity.  

 

The theory, as I understand it, is that the 2nd shot makes the immunity last longer.  

 

But as I understand it, that theory is based on how other vaccines have behaved, in the past.  Not hard and fast, real-world data about this particular one.  

 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

at one point one of the manufacturers put out a public statement, after seeing their name drug through the mud in the media, that essentially said:

we have plenty ready to go. The government has not told us where to send them. We meet with them weekly. They’re aware of what we have they simply haven’t done their job in telling us where to send them. 

 

Recall at one point, my Dear Governor loudly announcing that Florida has not received a single dose of that vaccine, and attacking the company.  Company released a statement stating that something like 20 trucks an hour were leaving their factory.  And that none of them have gone to Florida because Florida hasn't ordered any.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, China said:

So now my wife has received an e-mail that she can get her second dose.  She's still not sure yet when it will be scheduled.

 

There have been some calling for ramping up first doses now and extending the 4 week window out longer (I can't find it atm, but there was a Wapo op ed by a prominent scientist advocating for this approach)

 

This is another link discussing the scientific rationale

https://news.ncsu.edu/2021/01/one-dose-or-two/

Quote

TA: OK, two doses is generally the best way to get the best protection. Does the second dose have to happen at 3-4 weeks? Can we wait longer, so there’s more time to get more people their first dose?

 

Koci: Based on what we know from other vaccines, and how textbooks describe how the immune system works, it’s easy to speculate that we could probably wait longer. But keep in mind that these other vaccines – the ones that were not developed for COVID-19 – were developed over years, if not decades. When you’re not developing a vaccine during a pandemic, you have the time to test different doses and timing intervals. And while most of the non-COVID vaccines have a longer time interval between the first and second dose, there’s a lot of variability between those vaccines – and we don’t know why. During the testing of these non-COVID vaccines, did everything they try work, but what’s recommended just worked the best? Or did some combinations not work at all? We don’t know. We don’t have the data to make an informed decision.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can certainly see someone asking something like . . . 

 

"Hey, since the data says that almost everybody already has immunity before the second shot.  Then maybe instead of giving two shots to one million people, we should give one shot to two million people?"  

 

Doesn't seem like a completely stupid question.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, China said:

So now my wife has received an e-mail that she can get her second dose.  She's still not sure yet when it will be scheduled.


That’s odd. I got my first dose on 1/11 and exit scheduled my second dose for 1/29. Sure hope that I’d be good to go for dose 2 already. Like shouldn’t they have dose 2 on reserve?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

I will say, I don't know why we have to wait 5-10 years for vaccines now.  The world has established you can do whatever you want.  And they swear up and down no corners were cut on safety.  Yes, most vaccines aren't as critical as this one, and won't have the resources and urgency pumped into this one, but I would think efficiencies and ineffeciencies in vaccine development have been identified to where at least a little time could be shaved off.  I might think you might see a boost in the number of people getting into epidemiology which should only help vaccine development for future generations.

A big difference with this vaccine was that there was a lot of information sharing which usually does not happen.  Usually the research is kept internal because everyone wants to be first to market to get patents and make the ridiculous $$$.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...