Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

19 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Second dose of Pfizer tomorrow! woohoo...hoping to not get sick, the first was only sore arm. We'll see fingers crossed. 

more weird I have never gotten a sore arm with four shots but this one is really getting me with the sore arm, but only when I move it.

4 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Pfizer and moderna should look into suing them ALA Dominion...

• Like 1

Was in a Kroger in Appomattox this afternoon and the pharmacist was walking around asking customers if they wanted a shot as it was near the end of the day and they had unused shots available.  Having had ours (my wife both and me the first injection), we turned her down.  Asked if our daughter, who is 15, could get one but she said no because the Moderna shots she had aren’t approved for use for those under 18.  I hope she found somebody to inject so the vaccine didn’t go to waste.

• Like 2

J&J Friday. Super stoked finally getting it done. 

glad the cdc guidance is you don’t need to social distance or wear masks in small groups with other vaccinated people. Obviously we’re not 100% normal but it’ll feel good to just take that step. I consider it a big step. 

• Like 12

9 hours ago, China said:

Was in a Kroger in Appomattox this afternoon and the pharmacist was walking around asking customers if they wanted a shot as it was near the end of the day and they had unused shots available.  Having had ours (my wife both and me the first injection), we turned her down.  Asked if our daughter, who is 15, could get one but she said no because the Moderna shots she had aren’t approved for use for those under 18.  I hope she found somebody to inject so the vaccine didn’t go to waste.

I've heard that just showing up at the end of the day before pharmacies close is an easy way to try to get the vaccine.  My sister in law got hers that way.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, China said:

Thanks! We’ve got some friends who shop at that store every week. Just sent this to them so they can be on the lookout for extra doses. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tshile said:

Well and it’s 2 weeks after before it’s fully in place right? Or did I read something wrong?

Yeah 2 or so weeks after the first dose of Moderna/Pfizer you have some immunity. The second dose (3 or 4 weeks later) improves the immunity and possibly length of. But you have to wait another 2 or so weeks after that 2nd dose to get all those benefits. 

I am between doses right now. 

Basically, what I've read is that the first dose starts the process of building up protection in your body. The second dose works to greatly impove this protection (which is why that 2nd dose kicks some people's asses).

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

2nd Moderna this morning.

Lets goooooo!

Well, Hanover County botched my file...which apparently is a thing for folks like me that get “shoehorned” in on the expiring doses deal...and I’ve been rescheduled for Friday at 2PM.  Shoulda know something was up when I couldn’t even access my pre-register on the state website yesterday.

Sucks.  Moving on...

• Sad 4

Daily Beast: Liberals’ New Vaccine Trick: Driving Deep Into Trump Country

"For city residents with a car and time for a road trip, a disturbing disparity can quickly become an opportunity."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/vaccine-hunters-target-trump-counties-for-easy-appointments

I can't wait for the conservative poutrage in 3-4 months when people in Urban areas are vaccinated at higher rates than their rural counterparts.

• Like 1

Over 100 fully vaccinated people contract COVID-19 in Washington state, officials say

Over 100 people in Washington state have tested positive for COVID-19 more than two weeks after becoming fully vaccinated against the disease, officials said.

The Washington State Department of Health is investigating reports of the so-called breakthrough cases, which it said are expected with any vaccine.

Out of the 1.2 million people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in Washington, epidemiologists have reported evidence of 102 breakthrough cases in 18 counties since Feb. 1, representing less than 0.01% of all fully vaccinated individuals in the northwestern U.S. state. Most cases were patients who experienced only mild symptoms, if any, according to a press release from the Washington State Department of Health.

However, at least eight people with breakthrough cases have been hospitalized. The Washington State Department of Health is also investigating two potential breakthrough cases where the individuals died. Both patients were over 80 years old and suffered from underlying health issues.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/over-100-fully-vaccinated-people-115339262.html

• Sad 1

Thus the importance for fully vaccinated people to continue to wear masks and practice social distancing. Until we have more people vaccinated and the spikes from unvaccinated people who don't wear masks and/or practice social distancing die down to near zero, and we see more variations of Covid emerge get under control, no one is really safe. There are a lot of stupid people in the United States.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Over 100 fully vaccinated people contract COVID-19 in Washington state, officials say

Over 100 people in Washington state have tested positive for COVID-19 more than two weeks after becoming fully vaccinated against the disease, officials said.

The Washington State Department of Health is investigating reports of the so-called breakthrough cases, which it said are expected with any vaccine.

Out of the 1.2 million people who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in Washington, epidemiologists have reported evidence of 102 breakthrough cases in 18 counties since Feb. 1, representing less than 0.01% of all fully vaccinated individuals in the northwestern U.S. state. Most cases were patients who experienced only mild symptoms, if any, according to a press release from the Washington State Department of Health.

However, at least eight people with breakthrough cases have been hospitalized. The Washington State Department of Health is also investigating two potential breakthrough cases where the individuals died. Both patients were over 80 years old and suffered from underlying health issues.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/over-100-fully-vaccinated-people-115339262.html

The vaccines are supposed to be 97% effective. There’s no surprise that some inoculated people still get sick. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, balki1867 said:

Daily Beast: Liberals’ New Vaccine Trick: Driving Deep Into Trump Country

"For city residents with a car and time for a road trip, a disturbing disparity can quickly become an opportunity."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/vaccine-hunters-target-trump-counties-for-easy-appointments

I can't wait for the conservative poutrage in 3-4 months when people in Urban areas are vaccinated at higher rates than their rural counterparts.

This is huge in NoVa. 

https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/03/30/people-from-dc-are-driving-to-rural-towns-and-red-states-to-get-covid-vaccinations/

• Like 1

I wouldn't say driving into Trump counties is a "liberal trick" so much as the people in those counties are not signing up to get vaccinated so the appointments are just sitting there to be filled by other folks?

Also, like others have mentioned the quickest way to render the vaccines less effective are for people to continue acting irresponsible, especially younger healthy folks who are the most likely to be prime hosts for variations and mutations of the virus.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yeah its a big thing in Chicago too- If you start searching for Walgreens appointments in Illinois, there's a clear distinction between availability in towns north of I-72 (within a daytrip from Chicago), and south of I-72 (beyond a reasonable daytrip- still doable if you're motivated).  It's astounding.  It's frankly a double-win for us.  People with means can get vaccinated, and the city can focus its resources on the communities in the city that don't have the means.

Edited by balki1867
  • Like 2

Demand for vaccines is already waning in some parts of the country

Some states are expanding vaccine eligibility partially because of a troubling reason: Not enough people want to get vaccinated.

What we're watching: Vaccine supplies are still limited, but they're already outpacing demand in some parts of the country, especially rural areas. And that could be a bad sign for the future.

Where it stands: 14 states have made all adults eligible to receive a coronavirus vaccine, and the vast majority have said they will do so by or before President Biden's May 1 goal.

Many local governments have also broadened their own eligibility criteria, and demand can vary significantly within states.

Those states and cities generally have below-average vaccine demand compared to the rest of the country, and officials say they're letting more people in simply because they weren't getting enough sign-ups.

What they're saying: Vaccine appointments "are not being snapped up in 10 minutes like they were a month ago,” Nirav Shah, director of Maine’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the president of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, told the Washington Post.

“This I take as the very earliest sign that we are shifting from urgency to hesitancy,” he added.

"One of the reasons that we are pushing forward on expanding eligibility is because our uptake has been lower than expected," Tennessee's state health commissioner, Lisa Piercey, recently told News 5.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1