Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

26 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Mrs Skinsfan is mulling this over too. 

She hasn't scheduled an appointment yet, but she's nervous about it.  She doesn't do social media, but doesn't trust the government.   She's also never gotten a flu-shot.    I'll grant that she's prone to getting side affects and, sometimes, they've been very serious, as in, "let's take a trip to the ER" serious, so I understand how she feels.    She's going to consult with our family doctor, who we both trust implicitly, and go from there.

We love to travel, internationally, and I told her that many countries may not allow us to enter, until we've been vaccinated.   We'll see...

Day two for me, after the Pfizer shot.   It's just a little muscle pain.   Not enough to prevent me from working out.

Here's a website that explains how the mRNA vaccines work. They are different than flu shots, which I've never either. I hesitated too, until our governor opened the state 100% and now I'm glad I'm getting the vaccine, Pfizer for me. I refuse to get horribly sick or die because of government stupidity. Besides, what would poor Dancer do?

https://www.umassmed.edu/news/news-archives/2020/12/inside-the-new-mrna-vaccines-for-covid-19/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Well I know that and have told her that.  I received my first shot on the 15th.  But the challenge to logic is real. 

In addition to making the logical arguments (not in lieu of), I have found that offering an unrelated carrot can be effective.  I.e., hey honey, why don't we go get your shot and then go out to a nice lunch somewhere with outdoor dining. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

In addition to making the logical arguments (not in lieu of), I have found that offering an unrelated carrot can be effective.  I.e., hey honey, why don't we go get your shot and then go out to a nice lunch somewhere with outdoor dining. 

Hey honey when you don't get the shot and kick it from covid, I'm sure the 20yo hot blonde intern will help console me... 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

😂I know Mrs. HOF44......she ain't gonna play that!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

😂I know Mrs. HOF44......she ain't gonna play that!

I’m pushing the vacation/cruise angle.   She loves traveling and loves cruises.  Could be a loooong time before you fly or cruise safely if unvaccinated.  

• Like 3

Should have done more and sooner, but better late than never, and if it even convinces one person, that's something...

On vaccines, Trump tells his hesitant supporters, ‘I would recommend it.’

Former President Donald J. Trump recommended in a nationally televised interview on Tuesday evening that Americans who are reluctant to be vaccinated against the coronavirus should go ahead with inoculations.

Mr. Trump and his wife, Melania, were vaccinated in January. And vaccine proponents have called on him to speak out in favor of the shots to his supporters — many of whom remain reluctant, polls show.

Speaking to Maria Bartiromo on “Fox News Primetime,” Mr. Trump said, “I would recommend it, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don’t want to get it — and a lot of those people voted for me frankly.”

He added: “It is a safe vaccine, and it is something that works.”

Click on the link for the full article

1 hour ago, China said:

Should have done more and sooner, but better late than never, and if it even convinces one person, that's something...

On vaccines, Trump tells his hesitant supporters, ‘I would recommend it.’

Former President Donald J. Trump recommended in a nationally televised interview on Tuesday evening that Americans who are reluctant to be vaccinated against the coronavirus should go ahead with inoculations.

Mr. Trump and his wife, Melania, were vaccinated in January. And vaccine proponents have called on him to speak out in favor of the shots to his supporters — many of whom remain reluctant, polls show.

Speaking to Maria Bartiromo on “Fox News Primetime,” Mr. Trump said, “I would recommend it, and I would recommend it to a lot of people that don’t want to get it — and a lot of those people voted for me frankly.”

He added: “It is a safe vaccine, and it is something that works.”

Click on the link for the full article

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I am fairly sure that he recommended the shot when Gov. Cuomo wanted more data on it....

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I am fairly sure that he recommended the shot when Gov. Cuomo wanted more data on it....

That doesn't mean he couldn't have done more and sooner.  Did he get his shots publicly?  No.  When did he get them...before his term ended.  He could've made this statement while he was president months ago, and done it publicly while getting the vaccine.

Oh, and this was the guy who's administration did this:

Trump officials actively lobbied to deny states money for vaccine rollout last fall

He gets very little credit for anything he's done related to the vaccine.  The pharmaceutical companies produced the vaccine, and he had nothing to do with it.  His taskforce didn't buy adequate vaccine supplies and didn't have a plan for the rollout.  And frankly, anything he's done was for himself or his own self-promotion, not out of any notion of duty to country.  **** him.

Edited by China
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, China said:

That doesn't mean he couldn't have done more and sooner.  Did he get his shots publicly?  No.  When did he get them...before his term ended.  He could've made this statement while he was president months ago, and done it publicly while getting the vaccine.

Trump officials actively lobbied to deny states money for vaccine rollout last fall

He gets very little credit for anything he's done related to the vaccine.  The pharmaceutical companies produced the vaccine, and he had nothing to do with it.  His taskforce didn't buy adequate vaccine supplies and didn't have a plan for the rollout.  And frankly, anything he's done was for himself or his own self-promotion, not out of any notion of duty to country.  **** him.

Adding on to your statements - It's also the administration that botched even the first shipment of doses - states were told one thing then told another. Administration tried to blame Pfizer who then said we have no production issues, we have no orders to fill. In fairness, I believe it was probably more poor communication than deliberate malice. But it doesn't matter. You have to get that right. The communication has to be right. 

Bottom line is regardless of incompetency or bad intent, the result is the same, millions were delayed access to the vaccine for no good reason. 

https://www.marke****ch.com/story/some-states-complain-their-allotments-of-pfizers-coronavirus-vaccine-will-be-cut-next-week-01608247123

• Like 3

14 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I've got that feeling that I'll get it when I get it.  I don't really care anymore. 

This is where I’ve always been. 

ive also already had covid. So. Not sure how I’d feel if i weren’t in a window of ever increasing immunities. When I first got it it was 3 months. Then 4. Now I think we’re at 6. Every time my clock runs up they expand it. So I’m wondering if in April we’ll hear it’s actually 8 months.

I have friends doing weird things to get the vaccine. I don’t understand it. Just wait your turn 

(people getting vaccines because someone didn’t show up for their appointment, and the vaccine doesn’t go to waste, is different to me )

• Like 1

7 hours ago, China said:

Not denying that...not defending anyone either

Just saying that him saying to get vaccinated now, is not the first time he's told people to get vaccinated....thats all.

So..ya can put the pitchfork away ;)

6 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Not denying that...not defending anyone either

Just saying that him saying to get vaccinated now, is not the first time he's told people to get vaccinated....thats all.

So..ya can put the pitchfork away ;)

How’s your Hydrochloroquine stockpile working out?

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

How’s your Hydrochloroquine stockpile working out?

Assume much?

You can put your pitchfork away as well..

As I said not defending anyone...just stating it was not the first time it was mentioned thats all...nothing in my post was political...nor supporting anyone....

Damn it’s a battle.  Somebody sent her an article out of NCBI concluding the vaccine created prion disease.   Had to go find a reputable source to debunk it.  Did I mention how bad I hate fake social media??

Unfortunately, some of the papers cited by Classen show that what he is claiming, namely that the mRNA in the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine can induce TDP-43 and FUS to “go prion,” is basically impossible. For example, this paper points out that TDP-43 is an RBP that exists predominantly in the nucleus. As I pointed out the last time I took on the antivaccine claim that mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines can “reprogram your DNA”, the mRNA from the vaccine never makes it into the nucleus. Guess what? FUS is a nuclear RBP as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wife got notified today by Virginia government that she will get her first shot Monday.  She had one underlying condition (smoking) so I'm not sure how that affected her place on the list.  We both don't really think smoking should count since it is a personal decision.  But she answered the questions honestly and waited her turn.  We didn't decide the criteria, we just followed it.

• Like 7

Just now, TheGreatBuzz said:

Wife got notified today by Virginia government that she will get her first shot Monday.  She had one underlying condition (smoking) so I'm not sure how that affected her place on the list.  We both don't really think smoking should count since it is a personal decision.  But she answered the questions honestly and waited her turn.  We didn't decide the criteria, we just followed it.

Nothing to apologize for. If you follow the process and they say your name is up, then take the win and move on. I also agree with others that hanging around vac places in case someone does not show is perfectly valid too. Many of those doses will jsut be thrown away so why not make it count. 

I think what others were talking about were people stretching the "teaching" thing of caregiver definition and/or crossing state lines. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Nothing to apologize for. If you follow the process and they say your name is up, then take the win and move on. I also agree with others that hanging around vac places in case someone does not show is perfectly valid too. Many of those doses will jsut be thrown away so why not make it count. 

I think what others were talking about were people stretching the "teaching" thing of caregiver definition and/or crossing state lines. 

Thanks.  I got my shot several weeks back through the military.  The fact that I'm the vaccine coordinator for my command may have affected my place in line (right after the CO).  But I also have some real underlying conditions besides smoking.  Mainly pulmonary fibrosis (lung scarring) from a punctured lung a couple years ago.  So I don't feel bad about that either.

• Like 3

I too struggled internally registering because even as a qualified essential worker and public health employee, I felt others needed the shot first. 

I finally gave in when I saw a lot of my coworkers (even the ones who have been remote working for 11 months) getting it. 

I think those who needed the shot most have had that opportunity (to schedule) here. Or at least I have convinced myself that. 😬

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I see your point, but I think underlying conditions should be evaluated regardless of being voluntary or involuntary. The point is to get the vaccine to the highest-risk citizens, not to penalize people. Otherwise you could get well into a slippery slope of personal decisions (was your cancer due to your behavior? is your diabetes due to your diet? etc.). 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Same.

Hopefully getting my first shot Sunday at the Feds site here in Greensboro. They have a ton of openings btw.

Only reason I qualify is because I've smoked over 100 cigarettes in my life. Not because I have a autoimmune disease. 🤦‍♂️ Thx NC tobacco lobbyists. 

Edited by clietas
  • Like 1