Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

Who’s Next in Your State’s Vaccine Line?

If you couldn’t already tell, where you come in the vaccine line depends on where you live.

On Dec. 20, an expert panel at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released guidelines on how to approach the next phase of vaccinations, after the initial rollout to health care workers and nursing homes. The panel recommended vaccinating the very oldest adults and frontline essential workers next, followed by a larger group of older, vulnerable people and other essential workers as supply expanded.

But determining whether these people were actually prioritized — or when — was left up to individual states.

With few exceptions, states have abandoned these guidelines, either in part or in whole. As a result, certain essential frontline workers like grocery store clerks will soon be getting the vaccine in some states and not in others.

The recommended phases have morphed, splintered and multiplied. States were forced to make difficult decisions about health risks in the face of pressures that deemed some groups with power more important than others.

Many have revised their plans several times, deprioritizing some groups in favor of a different – and often more politically palatable – approach. It is becoming a source of frustration among the vaccine-eager public.

Consider teachers. Vaccinating them next would help schools reopen sooner. But in states where schools have already reopened, like Rhode Island, teachers were not originally prioritized. Even among states that placed teachers earlier in the vaccine line, there’s a wide gap in how they’re prioritized.

See how your state compares to C.D.C. recommendations:

Click on the link for more

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Just got my first dose of vaccine.

I love these 'I got my dose' posts. And I mean that sincerely. They reminds me of this clip in one of the best movies ever made. You do your part, citizen. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My doctor told me yesterday the rumor is they will be getting more vaccines in 2 weeks and Hogan will initiate Phase 2 about that time.  So my health is hinging on a rumor, that's so comforting. But I am Phase 2 and I refuse to make an appointment just because I could get away with it.  I've done "the right things" for a year, I see no reason to stop now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

@Darrell Green Fan you’re a good man. I happen to agree with your doctor btw. Based on my understanding, J&J hedged early production until they got approval and and is now actively ramping up, so I think he’s right.

Also, in my state (IL), being a smoker is considered an underlying condition and I know some of my friends (all late 30s and early 40s), are lying about this to get appts. I secretly hope they’re forced to check the “are you a smoker?” box on their health insurance applications forever.

Edited by balki1867

8 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

@Darrell Green Fan you’re a good man. I happen to agree with your doctor btw. Based on my understanding, J&J hedged early production until they got approval and and is now actively ramping up, so I think he’s right.

Also, in my state (IL), being a smoker is considered an underlying condition and I know some of my friends (all late 30s and early 40s), are lying about this to get appts. I secretly hope they’re forced to check the “are you a smoker?” box on their health insurance applications forever.

Actually my doctor is a woman you sexist ****. :)  She said they will be getting the Moderna but no doubt the J&J introduction probably made the Moderna more available as well.  

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Actually my doctor is a woman you sexist ****. :)  She said they will be getting the Moderna but no doubt the J&J introduction probably made the Moderna more available as well.  

Haha, point taken. It's even sadder I made that assumption considering my own doctor is a woman.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Burgold said:

I got shot. And they're coming back to finish the job.

Today, I decided to go to CVS to see if I could get an unscheduled shot. They recommended me checking in at 6:45 so I came back at 6:30.  Wound up second in line. Turned out they had five unused doses. So, I got in. Yay!

I had considered doing this but was wondering if they allowed you to book a 2nd appointment at the time of the shot.  

55 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I can't seem to find any information on how many Phase 1 people have been vaccinated in MD to date and when Phase 2 is anticipated.  Any help?

Always go to your state health department. 😁

https://coronavirus.maryland.gov/#Vaccine

Edit...dang read that question wrong (thought you were asking 1st dose and 2nd dose). But you might be able to infer phase #s based on the demographics listed. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I had considered doing this but was wondering if they allowed you to book a 2nd appointment at the time of the shot.  

They do. They assigned me a second shot appointment at the time of the shot.

I hesitated on going early because I'm relatively young and healthy, but my understanding is that the way it works is the surplus doses are use or toss. So, you aren't depriving anyone by taking your chance at the end of the day and asking if they have unused doses. Like you, I would not want to cut in line in front anyone at higher risk or more vulnerable... and I wouldn't do that. At the same time, I figure my arm is a better place for that vaccine to go than the dumpster.

• Like 3

My wife got her first shot today. Mine will be next Wed. I figured we needed her to get here more than me mine. She makes our house work. 

I could have gotten mine today too, but we didnt want to,risk both of us feeling like crap from a reaction at the same time. So,I scheduled mine today. 

Turns out the mass vacination sites in MD post open spots at 6pm every night for people to reserve.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

No breakdown for male and female. That would be interesting.

This is from December, I'd like to see something more recent:

Why might women be less eager to get the coronavirus vaccine? An investigation.

Why some women might be concerned:

Women Report Worse Side Effects After a Covid Vaccine

Nevertheless, in January more women were found to be getting the vaccine then men:

Study shows gap between men and women getting COVID-19 vaccine

The study found roughly twice as many women are getting vaccinated for COVID-19.

The data was from a dozen states, including Michigan, that publish demographic information online.

In at least three of those dozen states, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, and Nebraska, records that include gender show women account for more than seven in 10 people vaccinated. The percentage of men did not break 39% in any of the states included in the analysis.

Women tend to live longer then men and older people were getting the vaccine first, so I wonder if that affected those results?

Click on the links for the full articles

• Like 1

Lady, are you referring to women being more likely than men to have reaction to vaccine? Evidently, that is real. If you think aboit it, it also seems plausible with most of the tests not evenly split male to female, and women are smaller on average. So it would seem they would be more likely to get more of a dose than they need. However, it was explained that is not the cause. Turns out testosterone and chromosomes are drivers of the difference.

Have you ever hear, "It's good to be a guy?"

• Like 1