Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

11 minutes ago, clietas said:

Has this someone had covid? The thinking is that one dose is probably good enough if they've already been infected and recovered. 

If they haven't already had the covid then the one Pfizer shot is wasted. The likelihood of infection remains fairly high.

I'd tell them don't be a dumbass go get the second shot either way. 

I don't know if they've had Covid.  The fact that I am around them quite a bit and they are now just telling me they aren't fully vaxxed (after I directly asked) makes me question whether they would tell me.  My assumption is they have not had it.  

And yea, I did some quick non-Facebook-related research and found that the efficacy of one shot is about 50-60%, which to me means I should treat them as unvaxxed.  

Finally, they are well aware of my stance on it, so there is no need for me to call them a dumbass, it is strongly implied.  If there is any confusion, me now shunning the **** out of them should clear up any confusion.  

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

As in hypothetical long term side effects or are they having effects from the first shot?

Hypothetical.  

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

What would you say to someone who has gotten one (1) Pfizer shot, but will not be getting the second one, citing concerns about "long term side effects"?

I definitely have thoughts, but will keep them to myself for now.  

Tell them that they need both shots of the vaccine for it to be effective and ask them to compare The Long Term Effects of COVID-19 (significant) to the Long Term Side Effects of the Vaccine (virtually nil).  If they can't properly weigh those risks, then they aren't capable of rational thought and aren't worth your time.

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, China said:

Tell them that they need both shots of the vaccine for it to be effective and ask them to compare The Long Term Effects of COVID-19 (significant) to the Long Term Side Effects of the Vaccine (virtually nil).  If they can't properly weigh those risks, then they aren't capable of rational thought and aren't worth your time.

I think if, at this stage of the pandemic, you can't find that information for yourself, then me shoving it your face isn't going to help, you are too far gone.  Problem is this is family, not someone who I can easily write off completely.  

Good resources.  The one that I found was this, written by an immunologist:  https://bostonreview.net/science-nature/andrew-l-croxford-long-term-safety-argument-over-covid-19-vaccines

• Like 1

Faced with losing their jobs, even the most hesitant are getting vaccinated

In the quest to get more Americans vaccinated, one thing is becoming increasingly clear: Vaccine mandates work.

Nowhere is that more apparent than at United Airlines. On Aug. 6, United became the first U.S. airline to tell its workers to get vaccinated against COVID-19 if they wanted to keep their jobs.

The company says 99.5% of United employees have been vaccinated, not counting the roughly 2,000 who have applied for religious or medical exemptions. Elsewhere, other employers also report success with mandates. Tyson Foods, New York City schools, major hospital systems in Maine and the NBA are among those with vaccination rates topping 90%.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ball Security said:

What testing did you do?  Rapid or PCR?

I’ve been feeling “not great” with mild symptoms this week and went out to CVS to try the at home rapid test.  First one is negative.  I’m just not sure how reliable they are.

I was PCR and rapid positive for one day, now no longer rapid positive and the super minor symptoms have relieved. I've tested negative 3x on different rapids so I now know with 94-97% certainty my viral load is so low I cannot transmit to someone else. If you were rapid negative, and you end up PCR positive you may have a breakthrough so mild it's below the infectious threshold. The chart below is a good visualization. It's less about reliability, but that PCR and rapid antigen tests answer two different questions.

PCR: Was I infected recently within the past few weeks?

Rapid antigen: Am I actively contagious with COVID-19? (the question we want to know when we get tested)

image.png.0265af67d263088a54250f4b2b58e83d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I was PCR and rapid positive for one day, now no longer rapid positive and the super minor symptoms have relieved. I've tested negative 3x on different rapids so I now know with 94-97% certainty my viral load is so low I cannot transmit to someone else. If you were rapid negative, and you end up PCR positive you may have a breakthrough so mild it's below the infectious threshold. The chart below is a good visualization. It's less about reliability, but that PCR and rapid antigen tests answer two different questions.

PCR: Was I infected recently within the past few weeks?

Rapid antigen: Am I actively contagious with COVID-19? (the question we want to know when we get tested)

image.png.0265af67d263088a54250f4b2b58e83d.png

This is very helpful.  Do want to say that my question about the reliability of a rapid test is because I administered it myself.  I’ll do another one tomorrow and plan to get the PCR on Saturday.

48 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

If you were rapid negative, and you end up PCR positive you may have a breakthrough so mild it's below the infectious threshold. The chart below is a good visualization.

maybe im reading it wrong (please correct me if im wrong), but there are a few days on there (days ~7-10) that are infectious/PCR positive/rapid negative.. no?

Have any Pfizer folks received a booster yet?  I just got a text message from my county that boosters are now available at a mass vaccination site similar to the setup I got the initial vaccine shots at.  I believe my 6 months hits  next week sometime, so I am looking to go get jabbed with #3 in a couple weeks.

SIDENOTE EDIT: It would appear all the "omg masses of people quitting their jobs" stuff is way overblown, first just by looking at the % of people leaving their jobs, it is usually always a tiny % and then on top of that anyone who works for a healthcare company is being thrown in on this even when they don't directly work in the field.  Janitors, administration, management, etc etc etc.....are all part of the people quitting.  Can't be fooled by someone wearing scrubs, because a lot of companies require all employees to wear scrubs regardless of job title.

Edited by NoCalMike

33 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Have any Pfizer folks received a booster yet?  I just got a text message from my county that boosters are now available at a mass vaccination site similar to the setup I got the initial vaccine shots at.  I believe my 6 months hits  next week sometime, so I am looking to go get jabbed with #3 in a couple weeks.

SIDENOTE EDIT: It would appear all the "omg masses of people quitting their jobs" stuff is way overblown, first just by looking at the % of people leaving their jobs, it is usually always a tiny % and then on top of that anyone who works for a healthcare company is being thrown in on this even when they don't directly work in the field.  Janitors, administration, management, etc etc etc.....are all part of the people quitting.  Can't be fooled by someone wearing scrubs, because a lot of companies require all employees to wear scrubs regardless of job title.

My wife is going to CVS tomorrow at 4:15 for hers. She has not heard anything from the county (she's retired) who organized the initial vaccine in February. 

Edit:

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Richmond Raceway is set to open its doors once again as a COVID-19 mass vaccination site, the Richmond and Henrico Health District announced on Thursday.The site will reopen Richmond Raceway starting Tuesday, Oct. 12 and will be open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m.-7:30 p.m. All three vaccines will be available along with the Pfizer booster.

https://www.wric.com/health/coronavirus/mass-vaccination-site-at-richmond-raceway-set-to-return/

Edited by EmirOfShmo

32 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

i was told they want people who feel at heightened risk bc of their job, and I work from my garage office. 

12 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Is there any location in Northern Virginia offering drive through booster shot for seniors?  Trying to arrange a booster shot for someone with serious mobility issues.

Not sure how far you want to drive, but Winchester had a good set up at Shenandoah U during the initial vaccination.  May want to look into that if you can’t find anything closer.

Actually, I got my first shot at Mason and there were a handful of folks moving around in wheelchairs.  They had a good set up too.

Dont think they are drive through though.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, mammajamma said:

maybe im reading it wrong (please correct me if im wrong), but there are a few days on there (days ~7-10) that are infectious/PCR positive/rapid negative.. no?

Precisely right.

Those are days where, especially if you're vaccinated, you may still test PCR positive even though you are no longer contagious, but rapid will be negative because you are highly likely below the threshold of being contagious.

No test is 100% accurate unless you're at absurdly high viral loads, so it's best to take rapid tests in succession to be safe but they are the way to slow transmission in the general public. In the UK and Germany and India you can get them free, tons of them. They hand them out like AOL CDs, yet America is still fixated on PCR and wonders why we're behind other countries in slowing transmission. It can't just be vaccines to end this pandemic.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

i was told they want people who feel at heightened risk bc of their job, and I work from my garage office. 

Correct the FDA has only authorized Pfizer boosters for people over 65, highly immune compromised, or who are in high-risk jobs i.e. teachers, essential workers. Otherwise, boosters have not been authorized. The advisory committee actually voted against boosters for anyone outside of the 65+ / immune compromised quadrant but the CDC Director overruled.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Precisely right.

Those are days where, especially if you're vaccinated, you may still test PCR positive even though you are no longer contagious, but rapid will be negative because you are highly likely below the threshold of being contagious.

but what i'm saying is, according to that graph, youre still contagious on those days (~7-10), even though rapid is negative

A few more bite the dust at my location over noncompliance every day. One guy was so pissed at the suggestion that he took it out on a few security guards saying something along the lines of 'I am so ****ing tired of YOU PEOPLE telling me what to do'. Of course he picked the young black brothas to flip out on. So he didn't even make it to the deadline. 

This same dude just a few years was giving me ideas on the best spots in Paris to propose to my (then) girlfriend. Armed me with maps of the area and a tour guide he knew and everything. Shame how this **** has messed up people.   

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, mammajamma said:

but what i'm saying is, according to that graph, youre still contagious on those days (~7-10), even though rapid is negative

I believe the blue line of rapid antigen goes through day 10 but this is an imperfect graph from an epidemiologist / immunologist.

On average you are contagious from about 2 days before symptoms through 3-5 days after symptoms with a normal immune system.