Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

22 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I suspect they have a very limited supply. Kaiser Permanente is doing that here in California (shots for only ages 75+) while the State is saying 65+. They simply don't enough supply to handle 65+. 

Ahhh, it makes a little bit of sense to me, but personally, I think everyone in 1b should have an equal chance of getting it. I think exposure should be given much greater weight in the phases. Yes, first responders 10000% should be ahead of ALL of us, but with the virus killing everyone regardless of age, why shouldn't a 40 year old grocery store worker be equally as likely to get it as a 65 year old retiree that's been getting groceries delivered and hasn't left their house. :(

Still waiting up here in CA for them to open up vaccines to the 40 year old demographic. Signed up for CVS/Walgreens/Sutter vaccination alerts. 

You'd think if they want kids going back to school ASAP, then getting their parents vaccinated should also be somewhat of a priority due to children possibly being carriers of covid while not getting sick from it themselves.   

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

Among Latino immigrants, false vaccine claims are spreading as fast as the virus

Since November, Blanca Espronceda has spent many mornings chatting up other Latinos about the coronavirus vaccine, recruiting her neighbors in Maryland’s heavily immigrant suburbs to participate in ongoing trials.

But even as a community health worker, she has her own fears about getting the shot.

“What if the side effects make me sicker than the virus?” asked Espronceda, a 36-year-old native of Mexico who lives in Hyattsville. “What if I should wait a year, just to make sure it works?”

For those she approaches with fliers at food distribution sites and supermarkets, the objections are stronger: Some falsely insist the vaccine contains a microchip or that it will give them cancer. Others fear their personal information will be used to spy on them. Many point to religious beliefs, claiming that God will cure them if they contract covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, or that the vaccine is a sign of the Antichrist.

“As Hispanics, we like to gossip, pass on messages from one person to the next,” said Espronceda, who works with a program called Salud y Bienestar, or “Health and Wellness.” “But if we listen to all the negative things people say, we will have a problem on our hands.”

Latinos face higher chances of being infected by the coronavirus, getting hospitalized and dying of covid-19, but are twice as likely to lack the health insurance to afford treatment. They have suffered the sharpest drop in employment since March, and many who have held onto jobs are essential workers who risk exposure every day.

Yet they also appear to be getting vaccinated at very low rates.

“People are being manipulated,” said Norma Martinez, who coordinates Salud y Bienestar’s efforts across Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. “It’s making them nervous and mistrustful of the vaccine. But it’s a matter of education. Little by little, we will ensure that people get on board.”

Groups like hers must fight falsehoods that spread far and wide on social media, powered by a deep trust in religious leaders, skepticism in government, and in some cases, a mere lack of other information.

Floridalma Galvez, 34, said the calls and WhatsApp messages began weeks before any vaccine was approved, from cousins in Chicago, Florida and her native Guatemala: The vaccine was “the mark of the beast,” they told her, a reference to Satan or the Antichrist in the Book of Revelation.

Her family members heard it from evangelical pastors at church, she said, and passed it onto Galvez and other social media contacts, spamming their family chats with images and videos that baselessly claimed a coronavirus vaccine would alter their DNA.

Click on the link for the full article

Got my second shot of vaccine Friday afternoon. Didn't have any so called symptoms until Saturday morning. Good 18 hours later. Arm has sore a little, mild fever, body aches and a slight headache. This lasted all day Saturday. Feeling little better now. The fever comes and goes as I take Advil. Not everyone will get these symptoms. My niece didn't have any at all. If you do get a fever then that mean your body is doing it's job and producing the antibodies against covid-19. :)

TIP: Do not take any pain killers before you get your vaccine. You can however 6 hours after the shot. But don't take it at all if you are okay though. You can if the pain at the shot site is bothering you. But again only 6 hours after the shot and not before. 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2

90-year-old Seattle woman walks 6 miles through snow to get Covid vaccination

A rare winter storm that dumped a foot of snow on Seattle couldn’t keep a 90-year-old woman from her first appointment for the coronavirus vaccine.

Fran Goldman walked six miles round trip to get her shot, The Seattle Times reports.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

My mom has received both doses already and dad is getting his first on Saturday. The most stressful thing about the past year has been mostly worrying about their health.

Yeah my dad is getting his second dose on Saturday. Think my mom is scheduled to get it sometime shortly after.

14 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Is this in VA? Where are your parents getting the vaccines? My grandmother is 85 and undergoing cancer treatment, but still hasn't gotten any word yet on when she's getting her vaccine. She's registered with her doctor in DC and VA

My family is in VA. My mom is a public school teacher so she got it through the school system. Dad was on a state wait list I believe and was notified this week but less sure of this. I can reach out to him and get back to you. 

It might be easier to get the shot in DC. It might be worth reaching out to her doctor directly. One of my wife’s colleagues who lives in DC scheduled her vaccine directly through her primary physician. 

• Like 1

Yea, my MIL and FIL got theirs (in WV).  They are retired and not on any special list, but they were persistent in calling about appointments and got one.  Probably demand in WV is fairly low due to political stances, but that worked out in their favor.

Best part was they got round 2 last week, just in time to come visit for my son's first bday. 

• Like 3

My dad is 81 and his wife is in her 70s. His MIL lives with him and is in her 90s. They live in MD. They were registered but were not hearing back. But in fairness they were not really trying very hard. 

My sister works in a Montessori school and has been getting all her people vaccinated. So she then got my dad finally registered and his wife finally heard back at the same time. He will get his first next week. His wife got her 1st this week. His MIL has still not heard. 

15 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Is this in VA? Where are your parents getting the vaccines? My grandmother is 85 and undergoing cancer treatment, but still hasn't gotten any word yet on when she's getting her vaccine. She's registered with her doctor in DC and VA

You need to be proactive if you want to get the vaccine quickly versus waiting for waiting for a callback on a list of a million+ people.

Unfortunately a lot of older aren't very tech savvy so it's tough for them to figure it all out and actually do it without help.

• Like 1