Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

Newly Vaccinated Boomers Are Ready to Get Down

vaccinated-boomers-party.jpg?auto=compre

Since Texans 65 and older became eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine, my friends and I have been feverishly swapping emails and texts with links to vaccine registration sites, urging one another on, and reporting which sites work and which don’t. Online, it’s mass delirium and competition. (My friend John says he hasn’t been so angst-ridden since he was trying to score tickets to Hamilton.) But we aren’t just losing our minds over getting the vaccine; we’re also making big plans for our future.

A week or two after we get our second round of vaccine, the first wave of baby boomers is going to be 95 percent immune to COVID. Unlike our younger friends and our grown children and grandkids, we will be free to rejoin the world. It’s time that the rest of you remembered what the generation that invented sex, drugs, and rock and roll is capable of. 

We are going to hug. We are going to the hairdresser. We are going to dine indoors at restaurants, we are going to travel, and we are going to party. In spite of our knee problems, we may even dance.

Expect us at all the cool new restaurants, where we’ll dine early and ask you to turn down the music. We’ll be at music festivals, too, with our sunblock and hats and T-shirts from the sixties and all our long, boring stories about Woodstock and acid trips that went bad. In fact, you’ll probably see us everywhere, as long as we don’t have to climb too many steps. There are also rumors of single boomers ready to storm the dating market before the younger competition is back in circulation.

“You know,” I tell our millennial daughter and son over the phone, “your father and I are going to be living high. Think of all of us geriatric cases crowding into planes with our luggage and our CPAP machines, going anywhere we want.” I try not to gloat, but I don’t try too hard.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 2

My wife is a teacher and registered for the vaccine in Anne Arundel County. Appointment was today, when she arrived she was told that she wasn’t eligible to receive it. They were only giving it to people in 1-A or people over 75. 

The county website shows 1-B and educators are listed. She was very disappointed and upset. The rollout for this is absolutely abysmal and I’m not sure how you fix it. 

37 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

My wife is a teacher and registered for the vaccine in Anne Arundel County. Appointment was today, when she arrived she was told that she wasn’t eligible to receive it. They were only giving it to people in 1-A or people over 75. 

The county website shows 1-B and educators are listed. She was very disappointed and upset. The rollout for this is absolutely abysmal and I’m not sure how you fix it. 

she should be getting it from AACPS. 

9 hours ago, just654 said:

she should be getting it from AACPS. 

She’s a private school teacher who has been teaching hybrid classes since  September. 

We were able to get my 98 year old grandmother her vaccine yesterday as well as my 71 year old dad who has Parkinson and diabetes. They had been trying to get an appointment but no one had called them back or given them any direction. 

I work for FEMA and watching the management of this pandemic since the beginning is very disheartening. They are trying to correct issues left by the previous admin but it’s like being Sisyphus pushing the boulder. An impossible task. 

AstraZeneca vaccine fails to stop moderate illness from new variant, trial finds

The AstraZeneca vaccine, due to arrive soon in Canada, is ineffective in preventing moderate illness from a new COVID-19 variant that is dominant in South Africa and has been detected in Canada and dozens of other countries worldwide, according to early trial results.

South Africa reacted swiftly by suspending its planned rollout of a million AstraZeneca doses that had arrived in the country last week. It had planned to begin vaccinations this week.

Scientists emphasized, however, that AstraZeneca might still be effective in preventing severe illness and death from the new variant. The early trial results were insufficient to answer this question, partly because the trial participants were relatively few and relatively young, with an average age of 31.

• Sad 2

Pfizer just made a fantastic announcement about its coronavirus vaccine

Bloomberg put together a coronavirus vaccine tracker that calculates how long it’ll take for a specific country or state to reach herd immunity — or vaccinate 75% of the population. As of Saturday morning, the world needed close to 7 years to vaccinate 75% of the population with two-dose vaccines. That’s at a rate of more than 4.6 million shots per day. The main problem with the COVID-19 vaccine campaigns is that there simply aren’t enough doses to go around, so most people who are not eligible for early immunization will have to wait several months to get their turn. But the number of available vaccine candidates is increasing, as more drugs have completed their Phase 3 trials in the past few weeks.

As for the vaccine candidates that were already authorized for emergency use, they’re ramping up manufacturing. Now, Pfizer just confirmed that it’s able to increase production significantly.

Scientists figured out how to make the whole process more efficient, and they can now cut the production time for a batch of vaccines from 110 days to an average of 60 days.

Pfizer has also increased output at its three US-based plants involved in the vaccine manufacturing process.

• Like 2

Anyone in MD who is in the DC Metro area, if you are looking to get the vaccine right now I highly checking out these Adventist links:

https://healow.com/apps/jsp/webview/openaccess/widgets/uc/ucFacility.jsp?apu_id=305868&facility_id=110

https://healow.com/apps/jsp/webview/openaccess/widgets/uc/ucFacility.jsp?apu_id=305868&facility_id=111

https://healow.com/apps/jsp/webview/openaccess/widgets/uc/ucFacility.jsp?apu_id=305868&facility_id=112

Every day they are adding appointments throughout the day.  It seems that they are typically adding them daily at 9pm every night.  They are also showing up randomly sometimes at 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, and various other times.  I hadn't seen anything show up since last week at the Rockville one, but the Takoma one is the one with the most appointments showing up.  Sometimes they will show up and go, then like 5-10 minutes later show up again.

I had my appointment scheduled Thursday at Safeway in Wheaton however due to the snow coming, I decided to try at Adventist and last night I got one for today at noon.  My buddy who has been trying to find one for his dad and grandparents for a while now, I told him about this yesterday and he got 3 appointments last night for his family.  My sister's friend has gotten over 40 appointments for her parents and their friends, all like 70+.  

So just a heads up if looking for appointments for anyone in the MoCo or surrounding area.

I was talking with my wife yesterday.  She has a theory that feeling rotten after a COVID vaccine is probably a good thing because it means your body is fighting the virus.  It has recognized the virus as a threat.  Alternatively, if you feel fine, your odds of being protected from the virus are worse because you may be one of the people for whom the shot does not work.  Feeling fine is not saying it didn't work.  The theory merely says feeling the effects of COVID after the vaccine is a good sign.  The theory says the 5-10% for whom the vaccine fails to work will probably feel fine after the vaccine shot(s).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gbear said:

I was talking with my wife yesterday.  She has a theory that feeling rotten after a COVID vaccine is probably a good thing because it means your body is fighting the virus.  It has recognized the virus as a threat.  Alternatively, if you feel fine, your odds of being protected from the virus are worse because you may be one of the people for whom the shot does not work.  Feeling fine is not saying it didn't work.  The theory merely says feeling the effects of COVID after the vaccine is a good sign.  The theory says the 5-10% for whom the vaccine fails to work will probably feel fine after the vaccine shot(s).

Neither of the current vaccines inject you with the actual virus, so no it's not you fighting the virus if you feel side effects.

However Fauci did say that if you do get them, it does mean your immune system is doing it's job. 

He also didn't say that if you don't get them your immune system isn't doing it's job.

• Like 1